Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Auto culling : What are the rules ?

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,236 Member
Hi,

I would like to know the Simocide works. What are the rules ?

Which sims are culled ? Homeless or NPC ?

Comments

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Some not living in a house is fair bait for culling.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Hi,

I would like to know the Simocide works. What are the rules ?

Which sims are culled ? Homeless or NPC ?

I'm not convinced there are rules. I had started a new game. The only new Sims that were introduced into the game by me were the 4 Sim household I made. I played that game for a couple of days for about 2 hours at a time and I found Sims were already being culled. I can't understand how I could reach a pop cap so fast like that.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2015

Well that is not true as I am learning in New Crest - I moved all my own households into New Crest and was playing each one in rotation. Then day before yesterday I started a new household, and my single male sim started making friends with members of 3 other households I had living near him - within an hour of playing I went to have my sim do some socializing with his 3 new friends - which were households in my rotation and sims I made myself - all with jobs and play - and guess what all three households were culled. It made me the angiest ever seeing one of the households I was playing in the detective career in my last rotation. The game is removing all the played sims in my rotation and I am not a happy camper. This game just keep giving me all the more reasons to dislike it. I am beyond angry.

ETA - just to add the only family the game has not culled was the Maxis roommates (2 girls and a guy) I forget their names as ironically I have not played them yet -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Strange fact, it seems the Maxis' sims are protected.

All my homeless NPC townies were culled except 2 sims : Grim Reaper (Non-killable character) and Davey Anderson (Originally created by SimGuruAzure).

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well that is not true as I am learning in New Crest - I moved all my own households into New Crest and was playing each one in rotation. Then day before yesterday I started a new household, and my single male sim started making friends with members of 3 other households I had living near him - within an hour of playing I went to have my sim do some socializing with his 3 new friends - which were households in my rotation and sims I made myself - all with jobs and play - and guess what all three households were culled. It made me the angiest ever seeing one of the households I was playing in the detective career in my last rotation. The game is removing all the played sims in my rotation and I am not a happy camper. This game just keep giving me all the more reasons to dislike it. I am beyond angry.

ETA - just to add the only family the game has not culled was the Maxis roommates (2 girls and a guy) I forget their names as ironically I have not played them yet -

Have you reported the culling of played, housed Sims? I can't find any other recent reports of this happening.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    plenilunesplenilunes Posts: 296 Member
    No one is safe
  • Options
    edited August 2015
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Have you reported the culling of played, housed Sims? I can't find any other recent reports of this happening.

No, I was so mad I have not opened the game since. This just started happening since the latest patch as I did not have that happen before. I also do not have the newest packs - no sauna one and no kitchen one and no luxury party one either.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    edited August 2015
    How many played sims do you have? I have 60-70....slightly over 20 residential lots played. I have all the packs, so far I have only had people without homes culled.... Though after I installed 'get to work' (had a few less played sims then,) a lot of townies I added were culled... Even those I had living in a house to make friends with, but had then evicted. First time I noticed a major culling. I figure before I get the new EP, I will put any townies I really want to keep in a house, and get rid of some I don't care for.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I only have 16 sims total in all of NewCrest and had only played 5 households so far in the town - 4 households had just one sims in each and the fifth household had 6. Of the remaining households I have not played yet - one is a Maxis household I liked that has 3 roommates, 2 female and a male - all the other households just has one sims each. My previous games before this newest patch I had way more sims than this in that save all played with no culling in a single household. But I only started this save right before we got the new patch and in a brand new empty New Crest and have been building it slowly.

I am really trying hard to make myself like this game but every time I turn around some other reason to make me not want to keep trying. This has me beyond mad. Like all that work to start getting the sims some where in those new careers - just gone.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    IggIgg Posts: 275 Member
    If all else fails, stop the culling. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=545615

I have 209 Sims in my game.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    plenilunes wrote: »
    No one is safe
    Only "untouched" Grim Reaper is safe :p

Cuz if Grim Reaper is culled, your game is screwed. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Igg wrote: »
    If all else fails, stop the culling. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=545615

I have 209 Sims in my game.

Is it still working since the August patch? I don't play TS4 due to this limitation. I can't get it, they finally make the world full of Sims but also once the world of alive and well they all get trashed?! WHAT?!
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    EiszimmerEiszimmer Posts: 969 Member
    I use the no culling mod and it seems to work. I manually delete the townies, since I do not need them.
  • Options
    WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    I always put sims I want to keep from being culled into houses, and I've never had a problem. I didn't think it could cull played sims either. :/ Makes me nervous again after I thought I had it figured out. I don't want to use mods, but I might have to grab this one.
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • Options
    Kay8OrangeKay8Orange Posts: 291 Member
    Culling is a major issue in all sorts of ways for simmers. After your population, alive/dead and townie/NPC sims combined, has reached 180 the game begins to cull sims in order to keep performance in balance, or sims are culled when a certain life state is out of balance (for example; too many elders, or not enough of 'em). Usually the culling begins with townies that don't have a lot to call home and your sim doesn't interact or know them, but culling has also begun to effect ghosts as well. And that's the major issue of it all, because people have found that if a dead sim on the family tree's ghost is culled, they come up as a blank profile on the family tree and basically like they never existed--ultimately destroying other relationships connecting to that sim as well. However culling has also effected sims that your sims DO interact with, or live in actual lots, and so forth.

There's a stop the culling mod to prevent culling altogether, but it seems to crash quite a bit every patch. Or you could try deleting townies on a regular basis to keep the population at bay, or--if you wanna get extreme--delete all the sims in lots but your own, delete the townies every so often, AND when a sim dies, release their spirit so the game doesn't cull them first so the sim stays on the family tree (but that would be getting rid of their ghost as well), if they're on there. I don't like the mods so this is what I'm doing, it's a hassle to do but it's working for me so far. :L I'm also using Family Echo to track my sims' family tree just in case all else fails.
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    There's no escaping from the culling
  • Options
    FizzstixFizzstix Posts: 990 Member
    edited August 2015
    I had to do a roll back, because I had a mass cull happen in my game. I had 252 sims, and then I noticed a baby's daddy was missing (a nonplayed sim) and checked my population again, and it was down to 81! Fortunately, I was able to roll back to before the cull. I haven't actually played yet, for fear my game will get culled. I DO have Dark GAIA's nocull mod AND MCCC as well. Not sure why my game was culled. DP is going to check into it with one of my save files.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Wyrren wrote: »
    I always put sims I want to keep from being culled into houses, and I've never had a problem. I didn't think it could cull played sims either. :/ Makes me nervous again after I thought I had it figured out. I don't want to use mods, but I might have to grab this one.

I never had a problem either until since this week. That is what baffles me. I had a total of 16 sims in the town - not even close to any culling numbers.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Reg, I don't think that can be right. 16 recognisable sims but surely you had all manner of auto-spawned NPC and townies?
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    ... the game culling played sims? That's hella scary.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited August 2015
    @Eiszimmer @Igg @aws200

The MC Command Center mod now supports no culling:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Sims living into houses will not be culled, it doesn't matter if they are played or not. All the others can be culled by the game.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited August 2015
    @Eiszimmer @Igg @aws200

The MC Command Center mod now supports no culling:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

This is what ive been using. Ive always been a player who manages her population daily even before i knew of the population issue. I use mcc anyway though so i decided to turn it on recently (the no culling feature).

Luckily ive never had an issue with this mod so I'd recommend it.

It also has some other features that I find extremly useful. Theres the ability to completly destroy romantic relationships by selecting the "target" in the relationship panel.(the one already in game) You can also delete sims without going into manage world.

---
    As for rules...idk but I always kept my population under 180 and never had an issue. Of course every patch has the potential to change things or cause issue.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Culling is a major issue in all sorts of ways for simmers. After your population, alive/dead and townie/NPC sims combined, has reached 180 the game begins to cull sims in order to keep performance in balance, or sims are culled when a certain life state is out of balance (for example; too many elders, or not enough of 'em). Usually the culling begins with townies that don't have a lot to call home and your sim doesn't interact or know them, but culling has also begun to effect ghosts as well. And that's the major issue of it all, because people have found that if a dead sim on the family tree's ghost is culled, they come up as a blank profile on the family tree and basically like they never existed--ultimately destroying other relationships connecting to that sim as well. However culling has also effected sims that your sims DO interact with, or live in actual lots, and so forth.

There's a stop the culling mod to prevent culling altogether, but it seems to crash quite a bit every patch. Or you could try deleting townies on a regular basis to keep the population at bay, or--if you wanna get extreme--delete all the sims in lots but your own, delete the townies every so often, AND when a sim dies, release their spirit so the game doesn't cull them first so the sim stays on the family tree (but that would be getting rid of their ghost as well), if they're on there. I don't like the mods so this is what I'm doing, it's a hassle to do but it's working for me so far. :L I'm also using Family Echo to track my sims' family tree just in case all else fails.

When you said it's begun to effect ghosts.....I had a cemetery culled last March. It's been ongoing.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright