OCTOBER 17 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4! Check out whats new and whats fixed.
The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs: Create The Most Unique Pets With Create A Pet! Read more on the blog.
The Sims 4 Is Coming To Xbox One and PlayStation 4! Read the blog for more info.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
edited November 2016 in The Sims 4 Stories and Legacies
I thought it would be fun to start up a community writing challenge here on the forums. I've seen building challenges, cc challenges, and maybe even some screenshot challenges. I think it's time for the storytellers to get in on the fun.

Everyone is invited to participate in these upcoming writing challenges. It doesn't matter if you've been a writer your whole life or if you're just starting out. I promise a welcoming thread for everyone!

General Guidelines:
  • New "theme" is announced on the 1st of every month.
  • Submissions must be in the form of a "short story".
  • You have the whole month to write and submit your short story.
  • Entries can be anywhere from 500-1500 words and contain anywhere from 1- 12 Sims-game screenshots. You can use a mix of Sims pictures and non-sims pictures, but you must use at least one picture you take in one of the Sims games. (Check the 2nd post - The post with the current theme - For any special rules/exceptions each month)
  • You can write your submission on your blog or on a forum thread.
  • To enter just post a message with a link to your submission for that month.
  • You can use any Sims from any and all Sims games for these challenges even if you already use them in another story.
  • At the end of the month we will all vote to pick a winner for that month. Voting will be open for 4-5 days after the end of each month. (The link to vote will be posted each time.)
  • You may write more than one story each month, but you must select only one for submission into the challenge.

If you participate in a challenge you feel free to display the banner below in your forum signature, blog, etc.

6625487_orig.jpg

Click here to download the participant banner.

There will also be banners for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place specific for each month. This way you can display a collection of them if you eventually win more than one challenge :)

Post edited by Carewren123 on

Comments

• Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited November 2016
    Previous Challenges
    Each link will take you to a list of all stories submitted that month.
    This year 2015:
    edited November 2016
    Voting Is OPEN

Voting for October's winners is open at this time. (Poll closes at midnight (Central US time) on the night of Sunday November 6. Link below)

Simply list your three favorite submitted stories (You must list three different stories). Rank doesn't matter - you don't have to list 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Just your three favorite in general. The stories with the most votes overall will win. 1st, 2nd and 3rd places will be awarded.

http://carewren123.polldaddy.com/s/october-short-story-poll

***Click HERE if you need to see the list of entries with links to read all the stories***

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 20,123 Member
    edited July 2015
    Ooh! What about "end of summer/back to school!"

EDIT: And I'm so excited about this! Thanks so much, Carewren123! (*giggle* If I accidentally hold down the shift key when I write 123, it comes out like this: Carewren!@# )
    Hey, I had the back to school theme idea as well. I'll definitely put it on the list.

LOL at Careweren!@#. I think that's what people call me when they're angry. ;)
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 13,281 Member
    I can picture @CathyTea jumping up and down in front of her computer. hehe...

How about "1st times" or "1st things" since this is our first challenge? Or "beginnings"?

I loved the idea I saw earlier about having one starter sentence or paragraph and everyone take off on their own for the rest of the story.
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 2,664 Member
    Summer love?
    I LOVE the idea of summer lovin'...er...love. Or even first love!
  • DreamsInPixelsDreamsInPixels Posts: 4,448 Member
    I know the answer is probably yes, but I'm going to ask anyway: Can we use families from our other stories in these stort stories? Because I can see my family from my new story doing these challenges as well as the main story.
  • lizzielilyyyylizzielilyyyy Posts: 4,146 Member
    I really like the idea of firsts or summer love, but then you could easily combine the two if you wanted to (as an individual story, the theme would be one or the other I think)
    I know the answer is probably yes, but I'm going to ask anyway: Can we use families from our other stories in these stort stories? Because I can see my family from my new story doing these challenges as well as the main story.

Sure you can use any Sims for these challenges. I'm glad you asked, because I actually meant to include that in OP.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions in theme. I'll get a poll together tomorrow, so if you have any more suggestions before them let me hear them.
  • SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Ooh! What about "end of summer/back to school!"

EDIT: And I'm so excited about this! Thanks so much, Carewren123! (*giggle* If I accidentally hold down the shift key when I write 123, it comes out like this: Carewren!@# )

I only just got out of school! I don't wanna go back!
    Hmm, how about a theme dedicated to me! Because August is when SummerFalls ;)
    I'm joking... I hope I did that right...
  • AuroraLockwoodAuroraLockwood Posts: 2,354 Member
    If you want I have a big book of writing prompts I can offer from :)
  • Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Oh! I can't wait for this to start! Can't wait to see the Writing prompts!
    Hmm, how about a theme dedicated to me! Because August is when SummerFalls ;)

I think that's awesome... August... SummerFalls....

You know what? Where I live, we've just noticed that the light has shifted. It's no longer that intense high-summer light. Now it's shifting to the diamond-sparkling pre-autumnal light.
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,339 Member
    *pulls up seat next to @SummerFalls* Hi, Sugar! :)

*passes out snacks. Healthy ones for @CathyTea* ;)

I'm so excited!! :) I like @CathyTea 's back to school idea.

You're always about the food. ;) I <3 that!

Thanks for the healthy snacks! :)
  • eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,837 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hello all! Can't wait to participate in this! :D Such a great idea. :)

*munches on potato chips*

Edit for suggestion: What about a Sim's favourite place, and why it's so meaningful to him/her? The park, the hermit cottage, the jungle gym at Magnolia Promenade...
    edited July 2015
    Hello all! Can't wait to participate in this! :D Such a great idea. :)

*munches on potato chips*

Edit for suggestion: What about a Sim's favourite place, and why it's so meaningful to him/her? The park, the hermit cottage, the jungle gym at Magnolia Promenade...

Oh, I'd LOVE to have a short story prompt center around a special place! That tree house in @JordanNicoleJJ 's #wheresfree chapter! Or any place with a meadow!
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 3,749 Member
    Oooh this is exciting!!! I have a question: You've mentioned you can use any sims, which is great! What about any sims game? And what about multiple games for those time-jumping sims *cough* wheresfree *cough*
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,508 Member
    Great idea! I'm definitely in on this

*grabs snacks and settles in*

My suggestion for a theme would be Tragic deaths.
    It might seem creepy, but I really like emotional stories, where you can feel the feels.
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 3,749 Member
    Of course all these suggestions are great, and the one's that don't get picked can be added in to potential future themes =)

I'm going to suggest Horror or Horror-Comedy.