Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    edited July 2017
    Book Club Grand Re-Opening and Two-Year Anniversary!

Thanks to @Simslover163 , who volunteered to co-host and provided some excellent suggestions on revising the structure of our reading schedule, and to @swcheppes , who offered to coordinate the nominations and came up with an excellent suggestions for nominations, and to others who expressed interest in Book Club's revival and offered needed support and encouragement (you know who you are! :smiley:<3 ), we are BRINGING BOOK CLUB BACK TO LIFE!

Nominations begin this week!

Please read about our new schedule and procedures below. Then use the nomination form in the following post to send your nominations to @swcheppes through PM.

Schedule

Week One: Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    Week Two: Coffee Hour Q & A for Readers and Writer
    Week Three: Tasty Reads (A different writer selects five-minutes' worth of reading, and we have Q & A on that for the week)

And then the cycle begins again!

We will review the schedule with the writer and the hosts and do our very best to accommodate.

Quesions for Coffee Hour

During Week One, readers submit questions through PM to the Coffee Hour host, who will then compile the questions to ask during coffee hour conversations in Week Two.

Coffee Hour Host

Whenever possible, the nominator will be the Coffee Hour Host. When this is not possible (or the nominator is not willing) then @Simslover163 or @CathyTea will fill in.

Nominations
    Use the nomination form in the post below, and then PM your nomination to @swcheppes .

1. You are welcome to nominate up to two Coffee Hour readings and one Tasty Read writer.

What are Coffee Hour readings? These are longer works that we will spend two weeks on: Week One - reading, submitting questions, and informal conversations; and Week Two: Coffee Hour Conversations

What are Tasty Reads? Tasty Reads are shorter works--five-minute readings or a chapter--selected by the nominated writer. The writer provides the questions for Tasty Reads.

2. We expect that if you nominate a work, you will make every effort to attend the Coffee Hour conversations (while we realize that life does happen! :) ) We prefer that if you nominate a work you are willing to be Coffee Hour host, and we will do our best to schedule the reading during a time that works for you.

3. Self-nominations are discouraged.

4. Entire works that have already been read will not be selected. For longer works, such as legacies with multiple generations or work with "seasons" or parts, each generation/season/part will be considered a separate work and can be nominated even if we've read previous generations/seasons/ or parts.

5. The works with the most nominations will be selected for the Coffee Hour Readings. The Tasty Reads writer with the most nominations will be selected as the Tasty Reads writer.

Selections

The works with the most nominations will be selected.

In cases of a tie, works for which the nominator has volunteered to be Coffee Hour host will be given precedence.

Nomination form to follow...
    Post edited by CathyTea on
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Nomination Form (Please PM your nominations to @swcheppes by July 15.)

You may nominate two Coffee Hour Readings (use a separate form for each) and one Tasty Read writer.

Coffee Hour Nomination

What work are you nominating?

What is your reason for nominating this work?

Are you willing to be Coffee Hour host?

If you aren't able (or selected) to be Coffee Hour host, will you do your best to participate in Coffee Hour conversations?

When would be the best time for you for us to schedule this work? (We can't guarantee we will be able to schedule it during this time, but we'll do our best!) If you know of an important reason to schedule the work at a specific time (writer's birthday, blogaversary, special month or day) let us know!

When would you NOT want to have this work scheduled? (We will do our very best not to schedule works when it's inconvenient for nominators and the writer.)

Tasty Read Nomination

What writer are you nominating?

Will you do your best to participate in the Tasty Read conversation?

When would be the best time for you for us to schedule this Tasty Read? (We can't guarantee we will be able to schedule it during this time, but we'll do our best!) If you know of an important reason to schedule the work at a specific time (writer's birthday, blogaversary, special month or day) let us know!

When would you NOT want to have this Tasty Read scheduled? (We will do our very best not to schedule works when it's inconvenient for nominators and the writer.)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    FAQ

Q. How many works can I nominate?
    A. You can nominate two Coffee Hour readings and one Tasty Read writer.

Q. I don't get it--what's a Tasty Read?
    A. Think of Tasty Reads as appetizers in between our longer Coffee Hour readings. We spend two weeks on Coffee Hour readings, and one week on a Tasty Read reading. Nominations for writers are accepted for Tasty Reads: the selected writer then chooses a chapter or short selection of his or her work for us to read. The Tasty Read writer also comes up with questions for the readers.

Q. Can I nominate my own work?
    A. Self-nominations are currently discouraged.

Q. I want to nominate something, but I don't want to have to be the Coffee Hour host because...
    a. ...I'm too shy.
    A.That's OK! We want this to be within your comfort level. I'd encourage you to give it try, anyway, because we'll be really supportive and it's lots of fun! You might also want to have someone co-host with you! That way, you'll have support while still getting a chance to take on a bit of a leadership role here in the community! :)

But, of course, if you really feel that you're not up for it--or if it would be triggering or upsetting to you--please go ahead and nominate the work! We won't make anyone host. We just want to encourage you to do so.

b. ...I don't know what questions to ask!
    A. That's OK, too! This time, we're having readers submit questions, so all the host needs to do is coordinate them and keep the conversation going!

c. ...I'm not sure I'll be available.
    A. We're going to do our best to accommodate hosts' (and writers') schedules. But if it turns out you can't host, then we'll fill in for you!

d. ...Life happens.
    A. It sure does! That's why we've got two regular co-hosts who are ready, willing, and able to fill in when needed.

Q. I want to nominate a legacy I love, but we've already read it! Can I still nominate it?
    A. We're thinking of legacies and works with multiple seasons as being separate works per generation or season. So, for example, if we read Gen 1 of the legacy you love, nominate it for Gen 2!

Q. I want to participate, but there's no way I can commit to reading every single work. Can I still join in?
    A. Of course! We'd love to have you whenever you can make it! :)

Q. I want to participate, but I don't read all the stories that have been nominated because a) they trigger me or b) I just don't like them. Can I still join in?
    A. Of course! You need to respect your own comfort level, tastes, and enjoyment! Remember the Reader's Bill of Rights! You choose what you read! :)

Q. I've got so many other questions, but I don't even know what they are and I can't formulate them or even think of them right now. Can I ask later?
    A. LOL! Of course! Ask anytime here in the thread, and we'll be happy to answer. And if you feel shy asking here in the thread, you can always PM @CathyTea or @Simslover163 --we're here to keep this joint running smoothly! :D
    Post edited by CathyTea on

• Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Just a reminder the nomination period is now open. Make sure you PM with the works that you would love to discuss ;)
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    @PatchouliNitt @friendsfan367 @InfraGreen @RipuAncestor @peatock @AdamsEve1231 @Jes2G @msbeckycat @Charliimai @SimsLover163 @Asaoyoru @KismetRose @MadameLee @cecerose0208 @rednenemon

OK! Big ole multi-tag fest! :D

I'm tagging everyone who expressed interest in seeing Book Club restarted...

We're in the nomination phase right now... and so far, I think swcheppes has received nominations from me and herself! So.... if this is something that you'd like to see restarted, we'll need your help!

Now's the time to join in, make a nomination (or three), and get ready to talk and read!

If you feel hesitant to nominate because you don't want to be host, that's OK. We encourage people to host Coffee Hour for the story they nominate, but we don't require it. You can certainly say "No thanks" and @Simslover163 or I will gladly step in--that's what co-hosts are for! :)

And... if you'd rather make your nominations here in the thread, that's OK, too.

And if you don't like the nomination form, but just want to nominate what you want to nominate the way you want to nominate it, that's also OK.

This is play, not work! Right?

Love you all! Have a cheerful day night afternoon evening Timezone!

• Options
    KismetRoseKismetRose Posts: 302 Member
    I'm excited to see this start up! I'm still working on catching up on a few things I started to read, but definitely looking forward to this :) Thanks for the tag.
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @CathyTea and @swcheppes I would love to participate in Book Club, and I can think of a few stories I'd nominate, but my schedule is so busy right now with school and work and overall summer festivities, so I couldn't host most likely, and I'm not sure how actively I'd be able to participate. Perhaps others are in the same boat this summer? I leave for my masters thesis school trip tomorrow so other than pre-scheduled posts, I probably won't have a lot of time to do checking in here on the forums or around the Sims community, but perhaps when I return I'll have more time.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @AdamsEve1231: Maybe you could nominate under the condition that they hold your pick off? (Or choose a different host if it's something that gets multiple nominations)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    @CathyTea and @swcheppes I would love to participate in Book Club, and I can think of a few stories I'd nominate, but my schedule is so busy right now with school and work and overall summer festivities, so I couldn't host most likely, and I'm not sure how actively I'd be able to participate. Perhaps others are in the same boat this summer? I leave for my masters thesis school trip tomorrow so other than pre-scheduled posts, I probably won't have a lot of time to do checking in here on the forums or around the Sims community, but perhaps when I return I'll have more time.

Thanks for letting us know, @AdamsEve1231 ! We can for sure hold off until you get back and your schedule lightens up. And if summer is overly busy for many others, we can always start in the fall.

Have a great trip! I bet you'll learn so much and it will be inspiring! :)

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Thanks for letting us know, @AdamsEve1231 ! We can for sure hold off until you get back and your schedule lightens up. And if summer is overly busy for many others, we can always start in the fall.

isn't fall busy for you?
  • Options

isn't fall busy for you?

It's always busy for me--but it's not like it was during the past six months, when the busyness precluded everything else!

This is busy, but not draining-take-everything-you-got busy. In other words, I can still think! :)

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

isn't fall busy for you?

It's always busy for me--but it's not like it was during the past six months, when the busyness precluded everything else!

This is busy, but not draining-take-everything-you-got busy. In other words, I can still think! :)

i thought thinking was your job. lol or at least teachers are paid to think. but i'm glad the stress let up. now all you have to do is recreate the internet. or whatever you said not sure i know what it meant.lol.
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I am interested, but right now I can't stop to think of to nominate anything. I have a fourteen-hour shift ahead of me. :weary:

I'll think about it next week. :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    AsaoyoruAsaoyoru Posts: 247 Member
    I have the same problem. My current life revolves around studying, trying to have a enough time to eat and more studying. I feel guilty for just checking the forums. I really want to help and join in here but my exam phase doesn't let me. I won't rant about why I have to have the best grades possible, but it is putting me under a huge amount of stress which leaves me exhausted and feeling empty most of the time. That means there isn't much room for thoughts about fiction that's not concerned with sciency papers.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Maybe we should extend the nomination period for another week or two. Would everyone be good with that?
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    swcheppes wrote: »
    Maybe we should extend the nomination period for another week or two. Would everyone be good with that?

that sounds great to me...

• Options
    msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member

that sounds great to me...

yea me to
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I'm so glad you've extended the nomination period. July was such a crazy busy month for me!

I'm going to submit my nominations now.

I have a question though. Why are the nominations for a specific time period instead of rolling nominations to always be open in case new interesting stories pop up? I apologize if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread...
  • Options
    I'm so glad you've extended the nomination period. July was such a crazy busy month for me!

I'm going to submit my nominations now.

I have a question though. Why are the nominations for a specific time period instead of rolling nominations to always be open in case new interesting stories pop up? I apologize if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread...

I think we were just doing this period to things started.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Ah, got it. Thanks!
  • Options
    CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member
    Hey, guys! I'll be slightly off-topic now, I apologize in advance, but something happened with photobucket (I think) and it won't show the pictures anymore. I noticed it in many posts already and it also happened here - the Book Club banner is not showing on the first page of this thread. So I just thought I'll let you know, just in case nobody noticed before.

And I love the things are moving around here again! I can't nominate because I'm not reading anything currently (and I haven't been reading in last three months), but I would love to check out whatever works you guys find worthy! :smile:
  • Options
    We have a few nominations if we wanted to start this up
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    We have a few nominations if we wanted to start this up

Oh , awesome ! Maybe this weekend ! I'll get in touch later!

• Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    Hey, guys! I'll be slightly off-topic now, I apologize in advance, but something happened with photobucket (I think) and it won't show the pictures anymore. I noticed it in many posts already and it also happened here - the Book Club banner is not showing on the first page of this thread. So I just thought I'll let you know, just in case nobody noticed before.

And I love the things are moving around here again! I can't nominate because I'm not reading anything currently (and I haven't been reading in last three months), but I would love to check out whatever works you guys find worthy! :smile:

Not sure if this will help because I don't use Photobucket but @Meggles wrote a post about it recently: Photobucket Fail Fix
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    So what happened about getting this back up&running?
    6adMCGP.gif