Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    peatockpeatock Posts: 139 Member
    i wasn't here for the original book club, so i can't speak to the vibe of it before it went on break, but i'd love to see something like this come back! :blush:

as for hesitations with your hosting: while what i know of you makes me believe you were doing a fine and respectable job of it at the very least (i can't imagine how much work it takes to run something like this!) if it was something you were this concerned about, maybe there could be a boundary system in place for writers and stories that are selected to be discussed? if you were still interested in hosting, maybe you could run your questions by the author in private before posting them for discussion, with the author's understanding that they were free to speak up if any of the questions hit something they may not want to answer in this kind of setting? :) i don't know if you already did that, or something similar - but my experience directing theatre companies and whatnot has taught me that, generally, a good thing anyone can do as a leader is check in frequently with how the people they are leading prefer to operate.

i'm not sure how well this would go, because i hate to imagine you getting pressured in private to, as you said, be "less yourself" - but is there something like that that could be done to make the process more collaborative (and allow for safeguards for authors who might need them) without leaving you open to potential harassment or backlash? :open_mouth:
    0Ims83x.png
    The Velasco Legacy: Generation Six on wordpress & on the forums!
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    peatock wrote: »
    i wasn't here for the original book club, so i can't speak to the vibe of it before it went on break, but i'd love to see something like this come back! :blush:

as for hesitations with your hosting: while what i know of you makes me believe you were doing a fine and respectable job of it at the very least (i can't imagine how much work it takes to run something like this!) if it was something you were this concerned about, maybe there could be a boundary system in place for writers and stories that are selected to be discussed? if you were still interested in hosting, maybe you could run your questions by the author in private before posting them for discussion, with the author's understanding that they were free to speak up if any of the questions hit something they may not want to answer in this kind of setting? :) i don't know if you already did that, or something similar - but my experience directing theatre companies and whatnot has taught me that, generally, a good thing anyone can do as a leader is check in frequently with how the people they are leading prefer to operate.

i'm not sure how well this would go, because i hate to imagine you getting pressured in private to, as you said, be "less yourself" - but is there something like that that could be done to make the process more collaborative (and allow for safeguards for authors who might need them) without leaving you open to potential harassment or backlash? :open_mouth:

That's an awesome suggestion!

Yeah! Boundaries! :)

And it's really respectful, too....

It also allows for a wider range of conversations, because one thing that contributed to my hesitation was the idea I had that when I hosted, all the questions were the kind of questions I like--which is cool for me, but not really the best way to create an open and diverse forum for conversation...

Whereas running the questions by the author first will provide for a few neat things:

a) it'll keep me from coming up with questions on the fly (which is what I did when I was overbusy, and hence, what resulted in "default English teacher mode")

and...

b) make sure that questions take the writer into consideration

Great idea!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

It also allows for a wider range of conversations, because one thing that contributed to my hesitation was the idea I had that when I hosted, all the questions were the kind of questions I like--which is cool for me, but not really the best way to create an open and diverse forum for conversation...

Whereas running the questions by the author first will provide for a few neat things:

a) it'll keep me from coming up with questions on the fly (which is what I did when I was overbusy, and hence, what resulted in "default English teacher mode")

and...

Great idea!

and...

Great idea!

you did run question topics by me before we did the benders. so you did take me in to consideration. i like default english teacher mode.
  • Options

you did run question topics by me before we did the benders. so you did take me in to consideration. i like default english teacher mode.

That's right! We did do that. And it worked really well, don't you think? I know I liked it.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    I like the analytical questions, but I can understand why they might be off-putting to some, maybe? Not everyone likes the same things and all that. I felt like the only time I hosted coffee hour, my questions quickly became stuff people didn't seem to want to answer. So I know where you're coming from, @CathyTea

I think @peatock's suggestions were really good too. Those would help make things more accessible for a wider range of people. Maybe when a story is suggested for book club, both the writer and the possible coffee hour host (if we continue that way - I liked the changing hosts that anyone could volunteer as) could discuss via PM about what types of things they might want to discuss, and then maybe give people a heads-up here about the kind of discussion they might want about the story. And other participants could make suggestions too. And maybe the discussion could start with some kind of very free chatting, like people just being free to express their opinions and what they liked the most about the story etc. Just chatting. If people want to participate in that kind of thing, that is.

These are just suggestions I'm throwing out there; I have no idea if they're any good.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options

That's right! We did do that. And it worked really well, don't you think? I know I liked it.

i saw this but then i saw trip. i'm used teacher mode . so i do love the questions you ask as you.

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @CathyTea I was a communications major with a focus in writing. It's hard for me to turn off the English hat too because I love it so much. Deeply analytical is who I am.

I'm wondering if writers who'd like to be included would state what kind of conversation they are looking for - dialogue (opening it up to the readers to ask questions), general discourse (like a standard set of questions for everyone), constructive criticism, casual, fun, and lighthearted feedback, or creative analysis. And also if they want general or more specific writer questions. Different hosts might list the styles they prefer to moderate. Then maybe you could match up somehow. That might be a way for you to have boundaries and discuss on the forums initially (and then follow up with a PM).

As for reading, it's hard for me to keep up with grad school, work, and my own writing. I can't always participate and I have to pick and choose. So I'm sorry if that means I can't respond to every Book Club session.

I hope you figure something out. This thread helped inspire how I run my reading circle, as @friendsfan367 can attest now, so thank you.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    I don't think you killed book club, @CathyTea. I think the reading circles did. The idea of reading circles was a great one, but it ended up having many unforeseen consequences which we discussed many months ago in the lounge. This was another unfortunate one. I am not in a reading circle, but I have visited a few and have had feedback from many who are. This is what I have observed. Most people are treating their reading circles like little book clubs with their own coffee-hour like times of discussion. Having to keep up with the required reading in the circle, stories they already read and book club has proven to be too much to handle. When their plates got full, the obvious choice was to let go of book club. That is the sole reason why there was a mass exodus in book club. It's the same logic I use in my own sparse participation here.

I can understand how people struggled with your questions. I struggled with some of them myself simply because I wasn't prepared to think about my fun, silly stories in deep serious ways. (if DJ were ever up for discussion...bring on that deepness! :D ) BUT, I don't believe for a minute that you and your ways of thinking are the reason why the participation is down. I don't believe that at all! It's just been an unfortunate series of events. Hopefully, with all of the new people who have come to the lounge over the past year, you can the participation back up. But, because of how things are now, I'm not sure if the people who left will come back. But hey...it doesn't hurt to try! If you feel like you want someone to help you host, fine. But don't walk away from this because you think people don't like your style. That's not a reason; it's an excuse. Jes2G doesn't like excuses. ;)

IF anyone can find a flaw in your questions, it's not a flaw in you at all but a lack of connection with everyone else. What I am about to explain may be what you're feeling, Cathy, in reference to people shying away from coffee hour. When there is only one person asking questions, the readers are only receiving one perspective and it may not be the perspective they want to hear. It's not a problem. It's just everyone is different and that's what makes large groups like this beautiful. I know sometimes when I would read the author's responses to the questions (no one's questions in particular), "that's not what I wanted to know," or, "I don't care about that" may have crossed my mind a few times. I know it's perfectly fine for the readers to also ask questions, but it feels weird to interrupt the host because it's not part of the official process. (see...I do follow rules sometimes! LOL) So, what if you change of format just a bit to make sure everyone has a voice and gets to hear the perspectives they want to hear? Instead of one person coming up with all of the questions (because for me that was always the worst part of hosting as I am TERRIBLE with coming up with good questions lol), allow everyone to ask questions. During the week when everyone is reading and posting comments, we send questions to the host via PM. Then, when it's time for coffee hour, the host has plenty of questions of all kinds to ask and everyone feels like they have a stake in the coffee hour. That will also ensure there are enough questions to last throughout the weekend. Having just one person is like watching a movie someone else chose for you. It's nice and entertaining, but it may not be what you wanted to see. Making it more collaborative will definitely add that spice you want to see return.

That's my nine cents. :p
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member
    Are we closing? I liked the reading circles
  • Options
    msbeckycat wrote: »

no were trying to reopen the book club.
  • Options
    msbeckycat wrote: »

no were trying to reopen the book club.

good
  • Options
    Jes2G wrote: »
    I don't think you killed book club, @CathyTea. I think the reading circles did. The idea of reading circles was a great one, but it ended up having many unforeseen consequences which we discussed many months ago in the lounge. This was another unfortunate one. I am not in a reading circle, but I have visited a few and have had feedback from many who are. This is what I have observed. Most people are treating their reading circles like little book clubs with their own coffee-hour like times of discussion. Having to keep up with the required reading in the circle, stories they already read and book club has proven to be too much to handle. When their plates got full, the obvious choice was to let go of book club. That is the sole reason why there was a mass exodus in book club. It's the same logic I use in my own sparse participation here.

I can understand how people struggled with your questions. I struggled with some of them myself simply because I wasn't prepared to think about my fun, silly stories in deep serious ways. (if DJ were ever up for discussion...bring on that deepness! :D ) BUT, I don't believe for a minute that you and your ways of thinking are the reason why the participation is down. I don't believe that at all! It's just been an unfortunate series of events. Hopefully, with all of the new people who have come to the lounge over the past year, you can the participation back up. But, because of how things are now, I'm not sure if the people who left will come back. But hey...it doesn't hurt to try! If you feel like you want someone to help you host, fine. But don't walk away from this because you think people don't like your style. That's not a reason; it's an excuse. Jes2G doesn't like excuses. ;)

IF anyone can find a flaw in your questions, it's not a flaw in you at all but a lack of connection with everyone else. What I am about to explain may be what you're feeling, Cathy, in reference to people shying away from coffee hour. When there is only one person asking questions, the readers are only receiving one perspective and it may not be the perspective they want to hear. It's not a problem. It's just everyone is different and that's what makes large groups like this beautiful. I know sometimes when I would read the author's responses to the questions (no one's questions in particular), "that's not what I wanted to know," or, "I don't care about that" may have crossed my mind a few times. I know it's perfectly fine for the readers to also ask questions, but it feels weird to interrupt the host because it's not part of the official process. (see...I do follow rules sometimes! LOL) So, what if you change of format just a bit to make sure everyone has a voice and gets to hear the perspectives they want to hear? Instead of one person coming up with all of the questions (because for me that was always the worst part of hosting as I am TERRIBLE with coming up with good questions lol), allow everyone to ask questions. During the week when everyone is reading and posting comments, we send questions to the host via PM. Then, when it's time for coffee hour, the host has plenty of questions of all kinds to ask and everyone feels like they have a stake in the coffee hour. That will also ensure there are enough questions to last throughout the weekend. Having just one person is like watching a movie someone else chose for you. It's nice and entertaining, but it may not be what you wanted to see. Making it more collaborative will definitely add that spice you want to see return.

you and cathtea sometimes held your own mini book club in my comments . then i would come back from work all confused.

it took about 2 cups of coffee to figure out what was going on. lol.
  • Options
    CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    Long time Lurker, first time poster on this thread. I love the questions you ask the Authors and their answers. It gives a whole different perspective on the stories that sometimes I would never have even considered when reading.

I have not participated for a number of reason all to do with me but I have (when the thread was still active) enjoyed popping in to discover new works and rediscover stories i have in my long list of stories to read.
    Reading the questions and responses and enthusiasm from the Author and readers helped pique my interest in aspects of the story that I may not have known about. If the book club is restarted I would try to participate a little more as it is a great resource and fun for us simlit writers and readers.
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

• Options
    So, what if you change of format just a bit to make sure everyone has a voice and gets to hear the perspectives they want to hear? Instead of one person coming up with all of the questions (because for me that was always the worst part of hosting as I am TERRIBLE with coming up with good questions lol), allow everyone to ask questions. During the week when everyone is reading and posting comments, we send questions to the host via PM. Then, when it's time for coffee hour, the host has plenty of questions of all kinds to ask and everyone feels like they have a stake in the coffee hour. That will also ensure there are enough questions to last throughout the weekend. Having just one person is like watching a movie someone else chose for you. It's nice and entertaining, but it may not be what you wanted to see. Making it more collaborative will definitely add that spice you want to see return.

Love this idea, @Jes2G!

Before I came in to visit the forums this morning, I was just thinking that I'd step down as default host (because it really was just a role I stepped into in order to keep coffee hour going, rather than something I felt internally motivated to do...), and I was thinking we could have it where the person who nominated the story was the host.

But I think I like this idea even better!

I'm willing to continue to serve as secretary/ quasi-coordinator (did you know "quasi-coordinator" is actually a grammatical term, Jes2Geek? :D ) and I think that this will work to keep things fresh!

@SimsLover163 has some really good ideas, too.

Let's take another week or so to think things through. I've got vacation (YES!) during the July 4th week, so maybe that'll be a good week to reopen it and start taking nominations! :)

Thank you so much for your kindness, too, Jes--more appreciated than you can know! <3

• Options
    So, what if you change of format just a bit to make sure everyone has a voice and gets to hear the perspectives they want to hear? Instead of one person coming up with all of the questions (because for me that was always the worst part of hosting as I am TERRIBLE with coming up with good questions lol), allow everyone to ask questions. During the week when everyone is reading and posting comments, we send questions to the host via PM. Then, when it's time for coffee hour, the host has plenty of questions of all kinds to ask and everyone feels like they have a stake in the coffee hour. That will also ensure there are enough questions to last throughout the weekend. Having just one person is like watching a movie someone else chose for you. It's nice and entertaining, but it may not be what you wanted to see. Making it more collaborative will definitely add that spice you want to see return.

Love this idea, @Jes2G!

Before I came in to visit the forums this morning, I was just thinking that I'd step down as default host (because it really was just a role I stepped into in order to keep coffee hour going, rather than something I felt internally motivated to do...), and I was thinking we could have it where the person who nominated the story was the host.

I'm willing to continue to serve as secretary/ quasi-coordinator (did you know "quasi-coordinator" is actually a grammatical term, Jes2Geek? :D ) and I think that this will work to keep things fresh!

Let's take another week or so to think things through. I've got vacation (YES!) during the July 4th week, so maybe that'll be a good week to reopen it and start taking nominations! :)

Thank you so much for your kindness, too, Jes--more appreciated than you can know! <3

Love this idea, @Jes2G!

jes can be sweet it just doesn't show at times.

i know its a weird compliment but jes and i have a weird friendship. seriously though she is sweet,
  • Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    What if the writer of the featured story that week also come up with some questions they would like to have answered by the readers. At the beginng of the discussion they can ask these questions along with the questions the host had.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    swcheppes wrote: »
    What if the writer of the featured story that week also come up with some questions they would like to have answered by the readers. At the beginng of the discussion they can ask these questions along with the questions the host had.

This is a great idea, and this will help ensure that it's valuable for the writer, too! :)

• Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited June 2017
    And p.s. @CathyTea I think you did a fantastic job on hosting. I still popped in to read different questions/ answers even if I couldn't participate.

@Jes2G makes a great observation of reading circles taking the place of Book Club as an unintended consequence, and it is most definitely not your fault readership is down. Everyone has different thoughts and ideas and opinions and they won't always match up with host questions which is why I like @Jes2G's idea of readers PM-ing the hosts so as not to interrupt the flow and to get what they came for in Book Club.

I also imagine (and I'm trying to think of a way to say this eloquently and respectfully, but I not sure it will sound that way) not everyone's writing style or subject matter appeals to everyone (or it could have triggers), and this is the case sometimes for me. This means I won't always engage for these reasons. I'm pretty open-minded, so I'm generally willing to try anything, and I'm not trying to sound like a snob, and I really hope writers don't take it that way, but I struggle to read certain content because I struggle to feel a connection or I have a hard time not being triggered (and I know my own writing might have triggers for some readers).

Or on the flip side, I really admire the writing style, and effort of the writer, and I really want to engage but I can't devote adequate time to make a meaningful contribution, something more than "I love your story." So instead of making a fuss, I just bow out of discussion.

Also I imagine varying lengths of stories may be daunting to certain readers, and that presents another situation.

But all of these reasons are about the readers, their circumstances, and personal choices, not the hostess. You're serving our Sim Lit community amazingly so don't stop being who you are, @CathyTea.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 I don't think it's a bad thing to admit that not every story is your cup of tea. I've also sometimes quietly skipped some book club stories simply because I've felt like they're not for me. It's not the fault of the writer, and I have no doubt the stories are good. It's my own loss for not being able to get into certain genres etc.

What I really like about Book Club is that no one is obligated to do anything (unless they volunteer as the host, and even then it's not really an obligation), and it's easy to participate when one has time and not participate when the time doesn't feel right. And I know no one is obligated to do anything in the Reading Circles either, but I'm a... difficult person to myself, so I do take it as a sort of duty to read every circle member's stories. Don't get me wrong, I'd read the stories even without the "obligation", and I like reading them and they're awesome, so it's not an unwelcome "duty". I just have a tendency to take my commitments overly seriously.

...I feel like I'm straying from the point and possibly sounding negative or close to making someone feel bad. I don't know. I think I'll just shut up.

But great suggestions, you guys! It sounds like this thread could very well be revived as the new and improved Book Club! :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options

I also imagine (and I'm trying to think of a way to say this eloquently and respectfully, but I not sure it will sound that way) not everyone's writing style or subject matter appeals to everyone (or it could have triggers), and this is the case sometimes for me. This means I won't always engage for these reasons. I'm pretty open-minded, so I'm generally willing to try anything, and I'm not trying to sound like a snob, and I really hope writers don't take it that way, but I struggle to read certain content because I struggle to feel a connection or I have a hard time not being triggered (and I know my own writing might have triggers for some readers).

I feel this way too! I'm very picky about what I read for personal reasons.

And, quasi is one of those awesome, underused words @CathyTea :p
    forum_final.png

• Options
    I am doing a abc challenge but as a the lives of theme
  • Options

thats because quasi is hard to use in a sentence.
  • Options

Nah, it's one of the easiest! Just tack it on the front of almost whatever you want. :p
    forum_final.png

• Options

Nah, it's one of the easiest! Just tack it on the front of almost whatever you want. :p

you probably would
  • Options

you probably would

You mean, she quasi would.