Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I'm part of a book club in my outside sim life. There are only a few of us so what we did was we each choose 5 books we wanted to read. We then picked from a hat all of our selections ro get the order. What if we did something similar. We have a nomination periods. Each period you nominate maybe 3 stories you want to read. Once the period is over we go through the nominations, anything thats been nominated by multiple people will get read first after that we choose the rest at random. I think it may be best to nominate in private through a pm this way no one is influenced by others noms and will get a true list. I would volunteer to recieve the pms if @CathyTea and @Simslover163 can't. Let me know what you think.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    swcheppes wrote: »
    I'm part of a book club in my outside sim life. There are only a few of us so what we did was we each choose 5 books we wanted to read. We then picked from a hat all of our selections ro get the order. What if we did something similar. We have a nomination periods. Each period you nominate maybe 3 stories you want to read. Once the period is over we go through the nominations, anything thats been nominated by multiple people will get read first after that we choose the rest at random. I think it may be best to nominate in private through a pm this way no one is influenced by others noms and will get a true list. I would volunteer to recieve the pms if @CathyTea and @Simslover163 can't. Let me know what you think.

Oooh! I love this idea! And I love that you volunteered to be the one to receive the PMs! That would be awesome! Life gets busy for me starting next week...
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I'm so happy book club is starting back up. Not to repeat what others have said, but I was thinking similar ideas, like taking two weeks instead of one per story, so I'm happy great minds think alike.

The only other idea I have that I didn't really see discussed is that the writer should be given notice about their nomination before it's added to a schedule or post. That way they can decline or delay it.

I'm just thinking about how excited I was when I was nominated for book club, but it was such a busy week for me, so I had to rearrange some stuff just to participate in book club.
  • Options
    I'm so happy book club is starting back up. Not to repeat what others have said, but I was thinking similar ideas, like taking two weeks instead of one per story, so I'm happy great minds think alike.

The only other idea I have that I didn't really see discussed is that the writer should be given notice about their nomination before it's added to a schedule or post. That way they can decline or delay it.

I'm just thinking about how excited I was when I was nominated for book club, but it was such a busy week for me, so I had to rearrange some stuff just to participate in book club.

I think that's a terrific idea about making sure it works for the writer nominated!

suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    I'm just happy I didn't kill Book Club.

It went silent after my story was featured, and I got worried and concerned. :(
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    rednenemon wrote: »

The conversation on your story was SOOO good!

After that, we had one featured writer pull out, and then I got over-busy and over-anxious, so then we just took a break.

And then @Simslover163 stepped up, and then a bunch of people shared their enthusiasm and great ideas and suggestions, and so now, here we are! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

After that, we had one featured writer pull out, and then I got over-busy and over-anxious, so then we just took a break.

And then @Simslover163 stepped up, and then a bunch of people shared their enthusiasm and great ideas and suggestions, and so now, here we are! :)

is it even possible to kill a book?
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member

is it even possible to kill a book?

All those book burnings in history have taught us that no, it's not possible to kill a book. And that fact is something to be celebrated, imo. ;)
  • Options
    Did we want to open up the nomination period?
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options

How about we open it tomorrow?

I'd like to take today to review with everyone the new procedures we've come up with--that gives one more chance for suggestions.

And then we can do a big announcement tomorrow about The Grand Re-Opening of Book Club!

Anyone want to make a banner for it? :)

And are you still OK with being the one to receive the nominations, @swcheppes ?

• Options
    Oh! Also! This weekend marks the two-year anniversary of Book Club which is an auspicious time for the Grand Re-Opening! :smiley:

• Options
    peatockpeatock Posts: 139 Member
    edited July 2017
    depending on the complexity of the banner, i could give it a shot! ^^ what did you have in mind? did you mean something like the ribbon banner for peoples' blogs who've been nominated, or just something for the reopening? (or both?) it might be neat to get a new ribbon somehow, to denote the new "season" of book club running!
    Post edited by peatock on
    0Ims83x.png
    The Velasco Legacy: Generation Six on wordpress & on the forums!
  • Options
    Oh! Also! This weekend marks the two-year anniversary of Book Club which is an auspicious time for the Grand Re-Opening! :smiley:

i guess its a good thing we restarted it then.lol
  • Options

I'd like to take today to review with everyone the new procedures we've come up with--that gives one more chance for suggestions.

And then we can do a big announcement tomorrow about The Grand Re-Opening of Book Club!

And are you still OK with being the one to receive the nominations, @swcheppes ?

Yeah I'm cool with getting the nominations. Should we limit it to 2 noms a person this round?
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    peatock wrote: »
    depending on the complexity of the banner, i could give it a shot! ^^ what did you have in mind? did you mean something like the ribbon banner for peoples' blogs who've been nominated, or just something for the reopening? (or both?) it might be neat to get a new ribbon somehow, to denote the new "season" of book club running!

I was thinking for the re-opening! :)

• Options

Yeah I'm cool with getting the nominations. Should we limit it to 2 noms a person this round?

Sounds good! Maybe 2 noms for the regular and one for Tasty Treats? Do you think it's a good idea to have a little nomination form (just copy/paste, nothing fancy...)

I'm off to make lunch and watch "Anne with an E" and I'll be back on an hour and a half or so with more...

• Options

Sounds good! Maybe 2 noms for the regular and one for Tasty Treats? Do you think it's a good idea to have a little nomination form (just copy/paste, nothing fancy...)

I'm off to make lunch and watch "Anne with an E" and I'll be back on an hour and a half or so with more...

bad sissy tasty treats made me hungry now i can't remember the difference between regular and tasty treats.
  • Options

i like the form idea.
  • Options
    OK! Lunch is on... so I'll take this little moment of simmering ( :D ) to review general Book Club Schedule and Nominating Procedures

Schedule

Week One: Reading, submitting questions, informal conversation
    Week Two: Coffee Hour Q & A for Readers and Writer
    Week Three: Tasty Reads (A different writer selects five-minutes' worth of reading, and we have Q & A on that for the week)

And then the cycle begins again!

We will review the schedule with the writer and the hosts and do our very best to accommodate.

Quesions for Coffee Hour

During Week One, readers submit questions through PM to the Coffee Hour host, who will then compile the questions to ask during coffee hour conversations in Week Two.

Coffee Hour Host

Whenever possible, the nominator should be the Coffee Hour Host. When this is not possible (or the nominator is not willing) then @Simslover163 or @CathyTea will fill in.

Nominations

1. You are welcome to nominate up to two Coffee Hour readings and one Tasty Read writer.

What are Coffee Hour readings? These are longer works that we will spend two weeks on: Week One - reading, submitting questions, and informal conversations; and Week Two: Coffee Hour Conversations

What are Tasty Reads? Tasty Reads are shorter works--five-minute readings or a chapter--selected by the nominated writer. The writer provides the questions for Tasty Reads.

2. We expect that if you nominate a work, you will make every effort to attend the Coffee Hour conversations (while we realize that life does happen! :) ) We prefer that if you nominate a work you are willing to be Coffee Hour host, and we will do our best to schedule the reading during a time that works for you.

• Options
    Nomination Form (Please free to make suggestions, if we need to tweak this!)

Coffee Hour Nomination

What work are you nominating?

What is your reason for nominating this work?

Are you willing to be Coffee Hour host?

If you aren't able (or selected) to be Coffee Hour host, will you do your best to participate in Coffee Hour conversations?

When would be the best time for you for us to schedule this work? (We can't guarantee we will be able to schedule it during this time, but we'll do our best!) If you know of an important reason to schedule the work at a specific time (writer's birthday, blogaversary, special month or day) let us know!

When would you NOT want to have this work scheduled? (We will do our very best not to schedule works when it's inconvenient for nominators and the writer.)

Tasty Read Nomination

What writer are you nominating?

Will you do your best to participate in the Tasty Read conversation?

When would be the best time for you for us to schedule this Tasty Read? (We can't guarantee we will be able to schedule it during this time, but we'll do our best!) If you know of an important reason to schedule the work at a specific time (writer's birthday, blogaversary, special month or day) let us know!

When would you NOT want to have this Tasty Read scheduled? (We will do our very best not to schedule works when it's inconvenient for nominators and the writer.)

• Options
    Nomination Form (Please free to make suggestions, if we need to tweak this!)

Coffee Hour Nomination

What work are you nominating?

What is your reason for nominating this work?

Are you willing to be Coffee Hour host?

If you aren't able (or selected) to be Coffee Hour host, will you do your best to participate in Coffee Hour conversations?

When would be the best time for you for us to schedule this work? (We can't guarantee we will be able to schedule it during this time, but we'll do our best!) If you know of an important reason to schedule the work at a specific time (writer's birthday, blogaversary, special month or day) let us know!

When would you NOT want to have this work scheduled? (We will do our very best not to schedule works when it's inconvenient for nominators and the writer.)

Tasty Read Nomination

What writer are you nominating?

Will you do your best to participate in the Tasty Read conversation?

When would be the best time for you for us to schedule this Tasty Read? (We can't guarantee we will be able to schedule it during this time, but we'll do our best!) If you know of an important reason to schedule the work at a specific time (writer's birthday, blogaversary, special month or day) let us know!

When would you NOT want to have this Tasty Read scheduled? (We will do our very best not to schedule works when it's inconvenient for nominators and the writer.)

Forms look perfect!
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Options
    @swcheppes Awesome! In that case, I think we'll be ready to start accepting nominations tomorrow! :)

Feel free to make the announcement any and everywhere! The more of us that announce, the better!

OOPS! One thing I forgot was that the nominations need to be PM'd to you, @swcheppes !

I'll get everything all posted finally before bed tonight.

• Options
    @swcheppes Awesome! In that case, I think we'll be ready to start accepting nominations tomorrow! :)

Feel free to make the announcement any and everywhere! The more of us that announce, the better!

OOPS! One thing I forgot was that the nominations need to be PM'd to you, @swcheppes !

one more question are the nominations for both things. example if setemus is nominated for book club reading is it atuomaticall nominated for tasty treeats or can it be to seperate stories(don't worry i'm not doing it but since i just read it last night it was the onei thought of.)
  • Options

one more question are the nominations for both things. example if setemus is nominated for book club reading is it atuomaticall nominated for tasty treeats or can it be to seperate stories(don't worry i'm not doing it but since i just read it last night it was the onei thought of.)

Coffee Hour (the two-week reading) is different from Tasty Reads (the one-week reading)

For Coffee Hour, nominate the work... for Tasty Reads, nominate a writer. But they don't need to be connected! :) (In other words, different writers of each...)

• Options

Coffee Hour (the two-week reading) is different from Tasty Reads (the one-week reading)

For Coffee Hour, nominate the work... for Tasty Reads, nominate a writer. But they don't need to be connected! :) (In other words, different writers of each...)

thought so but wanted to be sure.