Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    ThymelessThymeless Posts: 1,184 Member
    @CathyTea that tea looks delicious! *grabs some and settles down to answer things*

1) What are your responses to the character of Alina Blankenship in the early chapters? What do you expect will be her experiences as she adjusts to this new time and place?

I found her very endearing - the poor lass had been ripped from everything she knew (whilst seriously ill) with no idea what anything was, but she still managed to be a sweetheart. A confused one, but a sweetheart nonetheless. Her struggles to understand the technology and rules in this new era were written very believably, and her reactions were a mix of amusing and heartbreaking.

2) Mathilda is in the background during most of this story--yet she's a very powerful presence. What do you get to know about her through these early chapters and how does she influence the mood of the story?

We learn how powerful she is very early on, and it shows in the reverence she's mentioned with in the present day. Not only that, but she's Alina's mother - she's had such a large role in Alina's life up until this point, and her absence is as tangible as her presence used to be. The search for Mathilda, and the learning to survive without her, takes up a lot of her focus and really affects her interactions.

3) Mathlida and Alina's characters are very different. What differences stand out to you? What does Alina's naivitee and innocence contribute to the story?

Alina is still very innocent, whereas Mathilda has lived a long and full life. There's always a difference between ages, but I imagine that in society back in the past there was a more marked difference (no internet, few books etc - most knowledge came from living). The whole naive, unassuming nature Alina has makes her a really sympathetic character - you want everything to be ok for her.

4) Were you surprised that Robin fell for Alina? What do you think drew him towards her?

Not in the slightest =p If she were someone I could meet, I'm half sure I'd fall for her myself =p
    I think her complete lack of ulterior motives probably had a good deal to do with it at first - I mean, he's probably had a fair few people after him for his looks or money, but she just liked him as a person.

Sorry if my answers are a bit formal sounding, I've just finished writing a historical essay, and I think my words are still kind of stuck in that mindset ^^;;
    signature-gen-3.jpg
    Sci-fi/Fantasy Lover | Taurus
    House: Hufflepuff/Pukwudgie
    The Centauri Legacy | Can You Hear the Violins? | Drifting with Nifflers
    Reading Circles: Reader's Nook
  • Options
    @CathyTea that tea looks delicious! *grabs some and settles down to answer things*

1) What are your responses to the character of Alina Blankenship in the early chapters? What do you expect will be her experiences as she adjusts to this new time and place?

I found her very endearing - the poor lass had been ripped from everything she knew (whilst seriously ill) with no idea what anything was, but she still managed to be a sweetheart. A confused one, but a sweetheart nonetheless. Her struggles to understand the technology and rules in this new era were written very believably, and her reactions were a mix of amusing and heartbreaking.

2) Mathilda is in the background during most of this story--yet she's a very powerful presence. What do you get to know about her through these early chapters and how does she influence the mood of the story?

We learn how powerful she is very early on, and it shows in the reverence she's mentioned with in the present day. Not only that, but she's Alina's mother - she's had such a large role in Alina's life up until this point, and her absence is as tangible as her presence used to be. The search for Mathilda, and the learning to survive without her, takes up a lot of her focus and really affects her interactions.

3) Mathlida and Alina's characters are very different. What differences stand out to you? What does Alina's naivitee and innocence contribute to the story?

Alina is still very innocent, whereas Mathilda has lived a long and full life. There's always a difference between ages, but I imagine that in society back in the past there was a more marked difference (no internet, few books etc - most knowledge came from living). The whole naive, unassuming nature Alina has makes her a really sympathetic character - you want everything to be ok for her.

4) Were you surprised that Robin fell for Alina? What do you think drew him towards her?

Not in the slightest =p If she were someone I could meet, I'm half sure I'd fall for her myself =p
    I think her complete lack of ulterior motives probably had a good deal to do with it at first - I mean, he's probably had a fair few people after him for his looks or money, but she just liked him as a person.

Sorry if my answers are a bit formal sounding, I've just finished writing a historical essay, and I think my words are still kind of stuck in that mindset ^^;;
    signature-gen-3.jpg
  • Options
    sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    I can't tell you how excited I am to have one of my stories featured in the Book Club. :) I've been smiling all week and am so looking forward to some awesome discussion.

@CathyTea - That tea looks amazing! *grabs a cup and settles down on a nice, cushy sofa*

Now, let's get down to it, shall we?

1) This story is part of a very rich and detailed lore that you've crafted for all of your interconnected works. At what stage in your development of these stories did you come up with the idea for "Another World?"

Well, I'd already begun "Forever in Time" and was well immersed in that. As you are aware, Mahilda plays an important role in that story, serving as the most powerful wtich ever and Goddess as well as a mother figure for Lenora. In "Forever in Time," Lenora was unable to finish raising her son because he was killed as a child. So, I got to thinking, "What if Mathilda had a child she was unable to raise?" She was very diligent in caring for Lenora while she faced the darkness of losing everyone she loved (Grandda Liam had died before and then Lenora was without her husband and son) except Mathilda. In many ways, Lenora and Mathilda were alone and it was just the two of them for a long time.

With Mathilda having lived as long as she did, it would stand to reason that she'd been married before (perhaps several times) and had some kids along the way. Being immortal, she'd outlive them, of course. But I kept coming back to the idea of a daughter (I think it would be harder for a woman living centuries ago to adjust to modern times, considering how they were treated more like property) that had somehow been separated from Mathilda and thrust through time and they'd somehow have to find their way back to each other. And so, "Another World" was born.

We all know how powerful Mathilda is and was even back then. She had her limitations though, and still had a lot to learn to get to where she is now. I wanted a different sort of character for her daughter, someone who didn't know the ways of the world, really, in either time, but someone who was more resourceful than she realized. Alina, being a woman of a lower class, behaves differently than someone of noble birth would, so I felt this would allow a lot of room for character development and growth.

2) What do you feel that TS3 contributes to this story? Can you imagine it working with any of the other versions of the Sims?

TS3 has been, and always will be, my go-to game. :) I began playing Sims just after Pets was released and haven't looked back since. I learned on it, so it will always have that place in my heart. As I love Supernatural stories, the Supernatural EP really helps me illustrate my stories. Not only can I write about the supernatural things the Sims do, but I can actually show it. You get that to some degree in earlier Sims games but for me, it's just not the same. It could, perhaps, be done in TS4 if they release a Supernatural pack at some point. We already have vampires, so yay for that! :)

I'm one of those weird SimLit writers who don't allow the scope of the game to limit me. My stories are very much plot driven although sometime something happens in the game that might influence an event or plot element. For 99.9% of the time, I create the plot and my Sims are used to illustrate that plot. My supernaturals tend to also be more powerful and rounded further than what the game really allows. For example, when you get to later chapters, you are going to see a fairy take a vital role in helping Robin and Alina out with a rather sad predicament they're in. His fairy magic definitely goes beyond the fairy magic the game allows. So, in other worlds, I like setting the limits of what my Sims can do in my stories rather than be confined to, for example, the list of spells the game comes with.

3) One of the things I really admire is the way you've developed this--and your other stories--through time. You started this one back in 2014, and it's still going strong! What strengths do you feel your work gains in being developed over time? How do you manage to stay with this and your other long-term stories, rather than abandoning them?

Ah, time! How quickly it flies, doesn't it? First of all, I have to admit that I feel like a total heel for not having made more progress in the story from it's beginning. Chapters here have been rather sporadic and that tees me off sometimes. LOL!

Anyway, I digress. As stated earlier, I'd already begun "Forever in Time" and that one was well on its way by the time I began "Another World" I made a lot of mistakes or "happy accidents" with "Forever in Time." My Simtography was very crude and I think my writing style changed slightly over time. I try to improve on what I learn while doing this, so that always keeps me interested in continuing the stories. Also, I adore the characters and that keeps me hooked. I think if you don't like your characters, it's hard to continue on with a story, especially a long=one such as what I'm writing. Also, my head is always buzzing (yeah, ominous sign lol) with ideas for my stories and that keeps me wanting to write more.

4) What advantages do you find in writing interconnected stories?

There are quite a few. :) I have a lot of characters I deal with and they don't always get the focus they need. An example was in my story "Forever in Time" when Lenora and Tyrone's quads were kids. I knew Aurora was going to be the heir, so I focused the majority of my time in screenshooting and featuring her. With so many kids, I just couldn't micromanage everything. I tried to do the best I could but believe me, it wasn't easy.

When I began ny stories, I belonged to another Sims community, which I've since left due to some unpleasant happenings. Because I, as the author, spent so much time on Aurora and getting her geared up to take over the reigns, a former reader from that community blamed Tyrone for the favoritism and he caught unnecessary backlash. It disturbed me to see that happening because Lenora and Tyrone love all their kids equally. That was the catalyst that led to my leaving that community.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say with all of this is that with a lot of characters, there's just no way you can focus on them all in one story. So, when appropriate, I'll do spin-offs or a side story to give the screen time so they can get some of the love they deserve. It's also a nice bonus that the stories can be connected and characters from one story can appear in another as a nice treat. I believe it adds an extra element and some nice flavors. The challenge is time. When having interconnected stories, it's easy to make continuity errors, so I have to try to be careful to avoid that. :)

I hope this answers all your questions adequately, @CathyTea . )
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • Options
    Now, to respond to @Thymeless 's comments, :)

I'm so glad you like Alina! :) She really is a doll and I adore her, Robin too. It just goes to show what a strong character and sense of value she has in being able to maintain her disposition rather than turn into a bitter, lonely person.

As she struggles to get acquainted with her new time, I wanted to interject some humor in there. "Forever in Time" had a lot of elements of sorrow, so to start out with "Another World," I needed some humor to try to balance out my writing. I figured heartbreak and sorrow would come at some point (you need all kinds of elements when writing a legacy story) but if we got a good outlook from the onset of the story, that would be a nice building block for things that would come later.

Mathilda is a character that sorta happened by accident. When starting out my Let's Plays on my Youtube channel, I always made up little backstories about the Sims I created for that series. In one of them (my Redemption Challenge), I mentioned a Witch Mathilda who put them in the situation they were in. I mentioned her again in another backstory for another series. So, it was obvious that Mathilda was whispering in my ear," Bring me to life, you insolent fool!" LOL! So, I created her in CAS, came up with a bio for her, and wrote her into "Forever in Time." and later, "Another World." So, I listened and Mathilda is rewarding me greatly. :)

This was a great answer to the question about Robin falling for Alina. Yes, Robin would have had his fair share of the ladies falling all over him to improve their own status. I mean, he is very handsome and does come from money. That's easy for someone to fall prey to. Alina, however, had no such compunctions. Even when she knew she was falling for him, she believed there was no hope of him returning those feelings due to his "nobility" and her lower class status. Robin even says later on that he's known no other like Aliina and that she was a unique work of art.

I'm so glad you're here to share in the discussion. :) I always love your feedback.
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    Hi everyone! I am very much the newbie here and was graciously accepted as a member of the Readers Nook reading circle. I read the whole of Forever in Time and was delighted that I did so before reading Alina's story in Another World.

I can't imagine waking up and being in a strange place. She was just so sweet and innocent. I immediately liked her resolve to make it work. It was sad how much she missed her mother. I loved the arrest - it was so funny thinking she would be executed. She is very humble. She will continue to learn and will eventually fully assimilate into the new world. But she will always have the old ways ingrained in her as that was her foundation.

Well, I already knew Mathilda from Forever in Time so knew she was powerful and a very strong personality. It was kind of nice to see her roots through this story. But aside from that, I knew Mathilda sent her daughter away out of her love and it hurt her greatly to do so. Alina obviously looked up to her and tried to do as she was instructed but also was lost without her. Mathilda was a huge influence in the way Alina behaves as well as the time she was from. I was happy when they managed to reunite.

Alina is still very young but having to survive on her own is building strength and character. She wants to fit in but things are so different that it is overwhelming for her and she naturally gets sad and depressed. She is more into making sure those around her needs are taken care of before her own and wants no attention brought to herself while Mathilda was the center of attention without even trying to be. I am not sure she will ever assert herself like her mother does. I think with Robins help, she will eventually come into her own and be more confident.

I wasn't surprised. What's not to like? He is smitten. As is she. They are cute together. I am glad he took it slow with her. Otherwise she may have shut him out. He gets her and doesn't take advantage of her need to please everyone. I thought the Birds and Bees chapter was sweet.

• Options
    @AudreyFld - So great to see you here! :) I really enjoyed reading your comments.

I'm so glad you like Alina. :) She's very different from her mother, which was what I was striving for. She's been through a lot and I don't think I could handle it as well as she did. She has a lot of inner strength, more than she knows. She really is a sweetheart and I found myself wanting to give her a hug on many occasions. I had a lot of fun writing the arrest. :grin: Imagine thinking you're doing something to help or cheer someone up only to get arrested for vandalism. You're right that a part of her will always be Old World even though she'll acclamate to her surroundings in time. You can take the girl out of the Medieval, but you can't take all the Medieval out of the girl. :)

I think the hardest part for me to write in the early stages was how much Alina missed her mother and the separation of the two. I think the reunion turned out well and also the role Robin played in it. Robin and Alina are very cute together and I really love them as a couple. He does get her, even adjusted his speech sometimes to the terms she was used to. They're definitely a fun couple to write. :)
  • Options
    As we are discussing this here in the Book Club, I'm dropping off here the latest chapter of "Another World" in case you all want to read it while we wait for more discussion. I hope you all enjoy. :)

Robin%2BHugging%2BAlina%2B1.jpg
    "Chapter 16, Mother's Plan
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Can't wait to read it, @sweetnightingale , and it gives me ideas for Round 3 questions!

For Round 2, I thought we'd talk about Romance! Yes! The Big R! (Wait... I thought Ralph was the big R... No? Wrong TV show... sorry.)

Let's start Round 2 off with... Breakfast in Bed!
    breakfast-pancakes2.jpg

Romance! Another World was selected to start off February because it's such a romantic story!

Questions for Readers

1) Favorite flavor: This love story carries many flavors of romance: sweet, savory, bitter, lingering... and more.

Which flavor was your favorite? Which specific scene or mini-arc was one of your favorites for presenting that flavor?

2) Every good true-love story faces tests and challenges which the couple overcome. Which challenge did you find most moving?

3) Love comes in all sorts of relationships! And this story has lots to choose from! In addition to Alina and Robin, we have lots of other couples, plus the love between best friends, and the love between parents and children. Which relationship is one of your favorites, and what makes it a favorite?

Questions for the Writer

1) How do you get the challenges that these couples, friends, and parent-child relationships face to feel so real?

2) As your reader warning indicates, you deal with a lot of difficult issues. What prompted you to include challenging issues in a love story? What do you feel this element of real-life challenge adds to a fantasy romance?

3) For me as a reader, Silvan steals the show in every scene he's in! Do you have favorite characters that aren't the main ones that steal the show for you, as you write this?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    1) Favorite flavor: This love story carries many flavors of romance: sweet, savory, bitter, lingering... and more.
    Which flavor was your favorite? Which specific scene or mini-arc was one of your favorites for presenting that flavor?

I thought their courtship was so sweet. When Robin was nervous when he planned to propose she thought he was breaking up. She keeps thinking she isn't good enough for him even though he constantly reassures her otherwise. He took his time knowing that her value system was not the same, gently trying to make her see things were different in this day and time.

2) Every good true-love story faces tests and challenges which the couple overcome. Which challenge did you find most moving?

Robin going to the spirit world to bring Alina back was so sweet. But I think what they are currently going through with her unable to conceive and beginning to distance themselves from one another then finding there way back was nice too. But this most recent turn of events has me worried for them.

3) Love comes in all sorts of relationships! And this story has lots to choose from! In addition to Alina and Robin, we have lots of other couples, plus the love between best friends, and the love between parents and children. Which relationship is one of your favorites, and what makes it a favorite?

Having read Forever in Time, I really like Aurora and Silvan, but in this story, really it is Alina and Robin likely because they are the focus of the story and we know more about them. Had I not read the other story, I don't think I would be invested in the other relationships enough to really think about them.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Man, it's so quiet here! I guess everyone is having a busy Saturday. I see questions for Round 2 have been posted, so I'll get right to those. :)

LOL on the Big R. That way so funny. :grin: I've never been much of a breakfast eater but hey, if it's being served in bed, I'm always game for that. Can I have a Mimosa with some French Toast? :)

1) How do you get the challenges that these couples, friends, and parent-child relationships face to feel so real?

Settle in because I think this answer may get rather long-winded. I love writing Supernatural stories and they are treated very differently than a human-based or true-to-life story would be treated. Supernaturals, to me are often larger-than-life characters simply because of their status, so this gives me a lot of room for imagination and creativity. Normal "human" rules often don't apply to them since I create lore for them to live by. Something that may seem strange or even wrong in the human world is often acceptable or even normal in the Supernatural world(s) I create. I can only hope a reader keeps an open mind and realizes that there are often different "rules" when reading one of my Supernatural stories.

Regardless of that, I do try to incorporate real life situations into my stories. For example, what Robin and Alina are currently experiencing with trying to grow their family is something that many people face. The main way I try to keep it real is to write the characters' reactions and emotions in detail. When a character is feeling a certain way, I try my best to expound on that and show results or fallout from those emotions. An example is, I don't simply write, "Needless to say, Roger was devastated when Gail was diagnosed with terminal cancer." Instead, I'd write something like, "Roger felt the walls closing in around him as Dr. Simonson delivered the crushing news. His beautiful wife, his Gail, was going to leave him. The thought of being without her brought a wintry shiver to his very bones. He closed his eyes against the onslaught of searing pain and wished he could be anywhere but there."

I also try to include things I'm familiar with. Like, I totally get how Alina is feeling right about now because I've been through it myself. I think when you can personally identify with something, it gives you an edge on being able to write it well.

I think two of my strongest suits as a writer is character development and my ability to access their heart and inner workings. Because of that, I get very attached to my characters and will go to the mat for them. They become real people to me in a way. Oe thing that helps me keep in touch with my characters is that I'll often keep a character diary. This is whwre you take one of your characters and write their diary for them. As strange as it may sound to some, I find it very helpful Also, the Pen Pal project is very helpful in that way, too. :)

2) As your reader warning indicates, you deal with a lot of difficult issues. What prompted you to include challenging issues in a love story? What do you feel this element of real-life challenge adds to a fantasy romance?

I suppose it depends on the kind of story you're trying to tell. With all the writing classes I took, it was drilled into my head that there needs to be a situation, a conflict, for the characters to overcome. You need that tension to make a good story. Sure, I could have written Robin and Alina's romance as being totally rosy with no obstacles to stan in their way. Everything could have totlaly gone in their favor and all is wrll. But, would that have kept the interest of a reader or me as the writer? Probably not.

Also, I believe that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. With putting obstacles in the way of the characters and seeing them overcome the challenges, I feel it makes the character(s) stronger and helps them to grow. "Another World" is a Supernatural tory, so as said above, they can have harder, more fantasy-type challenges. However, with incorporating some true-to-life challenges in the mix, it reminds us that hey, they're still people, and people encounter situations and problems in their lives.

As to the reader warnings, I admit that it's probably overkill in how I do it. I used to put something up at the start of every generation or just somewhere as a general warning. However, I've become a bit gun shy due to some unpleasant happenings. Someone got downright nasty regarding words and actions of one of my characters, so now, I'm in the cover-my-butt frame of mind and slap it onto every chapter. If someone decides to get...ah...disagreeable, I can at least point out that there was a warning and remind them that they chose to read it anyway.

3) For me as a reader, Silvan steals the show in every scene he's in! Do you have favorite characters that aren't the main ones that steal the show for you, as you write this?

Ah, Silvan! :grin: He does seem to have that presence about him, doesn't he? In the situation Robin and Alina are finding themselves in right now, Silvan is an integral part of them getting out of it. He is knowledgeable about quite a few things, having lived a few centuries. Naturally, he's a major player in "Forever in Time" and will continue to be as Aurora's generation progresses.

As to other supporting characters who steal the show...Mathilda definitely does. Because of who she is, that's just a given. She commands presence by just being in a room. :) And Lenora! I think you all know how I feel about Lenora and I think that reflects in how most of my characters relate to her. Who could NOT like Lenora? :) Same for Tyrone. He and Lenora are a package deal and the two of them are a force to be reckoned with. I think Aurora, if a situation calls for her to be "unleashed," she would be in her element as center of attention. :) She's a singer and I know from personal experience that we performers thrive when we get a captive audience. :grin:

So, I hope that adequately answers the questions. :)
  • Options
    @AudreyFld - Such great answers! :) I enjoyed reading them. I'm so glad you like Aurora and Silvan. I love writing them and it was nice to see them in "Another World" where they can take part to help Robin and Alina through their current situation. Robin and Alina still have a lot to overcome and I'll just say you are right to be worried for them. What they're going to have to do is very scary and certainly not for the faint of heart.

Thanks so much for participating in the discussion here, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. :)
  • Options
    Hi, everyone! More tea? I've been recovering from a cold, which is why all the tea! Plus... Cathy TEA! LOL! (OK... having a cold makes me feel punchy...)

I plan to swing by tomorrow to share my responses to the questions... until then, here's more tea and Round Three! :)
    tea.jpg

Round Three

Questions for Readers

1) Let's talk about a mother's love: Mathilda has shown so many acts of protection and caring for Alina. Which ones stand out most to you?

2) If you're caught up, how do you feel about the current plan to remove the curse?

What do you think will happen to Flora? (please use spoilers as needed for your answers!)

3) What questions do you have for SweetNightingale?

4) What's your favorite aspect of this story?

Questions for the Writer

1) What made you choose the love between a mother and daughter as one of the main themes here?

2) What were some of your favorite moments to write, and some of the most challenging to write?

3) What advice do you have for other writers who are developing their own mythical lore for their stories?

4) What advice do you have for other writers who write interconnected stories?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Dang, it's been so quiet here this weekend. I was so looking forward to having one of my stories featured but there's not been much discussion happening. :( I'm still holding out some hope that others will find time to join in, but I do want to personally thank @Thymeless and @AudreyFld for chiming in with their wonderful comments. It makes me truly appreciative of our Reader's Nook Circle and how much we care about each other. :) Thank you so much, ladies! I can't tell you what it means to me to see you both here. I also look forward to @CathyTea 's answers and comments. :)

So now, to answer the questions for Round 3.

1) What made you choose the love between a mother and daughter as one of the main themes here?

Again, this goes back to what I said about why I began this story. For those who've read "Forever in Time," you can see how much Mathilda cares for Lenora. It would stand to reason that she'd show this same love and protection toward her own daughter. :)

I wanted to explore parts of Mathilda's life without her being the actual main character since that belongs to Alina and to Robin. Most people/characters who don't know Mathilda might think of her as "untouchable" due to who she is, at least that's what I try to portray for her in the way I write her. However, she's the type who comes slowly to love but when she does love, she loves fiercely and very protectively. We've seen that with both Alina and Lenora, as well as Liam, of course. My goal with Mathilda is to show her as the all-powerful witch and Goddess she is but to also show the softer side of her for when thta is needed. I hope I've done a good job with that so far. :)

2) What were some of your favorite moments to write, and some of the most challenging to write?

I loved writing the humorous situations and predicaments that Alina finds herself in as she adjusts to this strange modern time. Like, when she was arrested and thought she would be executed, I was chuckling the entire time I wrote that scene. I want to interject things like that in from time to time, as there will be a part of Alina that remains Old World no matter how accustomed to things she gets. Also, I love writing when she messes up slang and how the others correct her. I have fun making up the little mistakes she makes and her slight embarrassment at getting it wrong. Alina is just so sweet and adorable that way and I don't want to lose that.

I really did love writing the chapter where Robin went to get Alina from the spirit world after she died. As I said, I love trying to capture the reactions and emotions of the characters to situations, Robin is a strong, confident person, but seeing Alina like that nearly broke him. Everyone has their breaking points and as awful as it sounds, I like bringing characters to that point and exploring how they react to it. As much as I love my characters, I like beating up on them so I can spin a good yarn. :grin:

As to the challenging parts, I find it both easy and challenging to write romance. I find it easy because I love doing it so much. But, I often ask myself, "Did I write this too sappily?" "Was it total overkill?" Same with exploring the characters' emotions. I wonder if, at times, I lay it on too thick and do certain scenes push the envelope too much? I want the readers to feel the love and chemistry between Robin and Alina, for example, and sometimes I struggle with self doubt and wonder if I've accomplished it.

3) What advice do you have for other writers who are developing their own mythical lore for their stories?

Starting a new project and creating the world for it is a daunting task. There's nothing more frustrating than staring at a blank page and wondering what the heck to fill it with. You will have a lot of ideas swimming around in your brain and it's good to get them all down. If you don't want to type them, take a notebook and pen (I grab the ol' fountain pen...one of my 200+ - hehehe) and just do a "download" in a notebook of all those ideas. Go through it later on and decide what you think will work and scrap the ones you don't like as much. It can be as detailed or simple as you like. Just have fun with it and let your imagination go. The key word is that it's "mythical" so this is a time where you don't have to worry about being realistic. For me, mythical stories is my escape from the boring and blase. Your lore is your lore, so stand by it and embrace it, no matter what anyone says. :)

4) What advice do you have for other writers who write interconnected stories?

First and foremost, make sure you have a good memory or keep notes. LOL! For me, the biggest issue with interconnected stories is the element of time. In the Sims world, time is a wonky thing, so it can be hard to work with. When you're doing an interconnected story, you can easily make some continuity errors, especially with time. An example of this was when I wrote my latest chapter for "As Tears Go By," Debbie got to meet her favorite author in all the world, Lenora. At the time of Lenora's kidnapping and such ("Forever in Time"), Lenora's kids were children. Time passed and I decided that Aurora and Andrea (Lenora's daughters) would be teenagers when Nathaniel (Debbie's son) was a toddler. Depending on how often you update each story and how much time passes in the stories, you will have, certain challenges will pop up that you'll have to deal with.

I do recall that I made one such continuity error in "Another World." Lenora's kids were still children when Lenora was rescued and brought home by Tyrone (again, "Forever in Time"). In the chapter of "Another World" where the ladies went shopping and with the wedding, Lenora's kids were all grown up, which meant that quite a bit of time elapsed from Lenora and Alina being reunited to the actual shopping trip and wedding. I attempted to compensate for that by Alina telling us that she was ill for a long time after her jaunt into the spirit world. So, maybe she was too ill to keep a wedding date closer to her original one and such? For her wedding,, you can see that Aurora and Andrea were grown up, so a good amount of time did pass.

I think it's much easier when you're dealing with interconnected stories of your own making. At the time those chapters were written, I belonged to this other community that I've since left (that was mentioned in Round 1's discussion). So, those of us in that community often had cameo appearances of each other's characters. That is even harder to deal with because everyone updates their stories at different times and frequencies. You have to think about where in the scheme of time is your story in relaiton to theirs and such. I no longer have that element to deal with, having left that community and those people's Sims being unavailable for me to use now. That's not such a bad thing, really, because it makes my life a lot easier and now, I'm just dealing with my own stories. :) So yeah, the error I was talking about was with the ages of both my characters and ones from others I'd been able to feature at the time. Aurora and Andrea were around the same age as Taylor (you see her in the What Not to Wear chapter), so for the wedding, I had to show Andrea and Aurora grown up and being bridesmaids. The original plan was to have them be double flower girls but since I'd included Taylor in the shopping trip, I had to scramble. LOL! As I said, though, these "guest Sims" are not available for my use anymore so you won't be seeing them again in any of my stories.

So in a nutshell, the element of time is going to be your biggest hurtle.

I hope that answers the questions adequately. :)
  • Options
    Hey :) Sorry I couldn't stop by yesterday - I was bitten by the writing bug and spent the entire day with my brain in the clouds (or should I say, the Claude, considering what I was writing... I'll show myself out =p). Still, I'm here now!

Round 2

I'm a complete sap, if I'm honest, so the sweet, lasting type of love is my favourite :) I really enjoyed Alina and Robin getting to know each other, it was so gentle and good-natured.

I hurt the most when the two of them started spending less time together, because neither of them could bear thinking they'd disappointed the other. It made me sad, but it also made me want to bash their heads together XD I might be a sap, but I am a rather blunt one =p

Well, you know how much I love all your 'Forever in Time' characters and their relationships, so I'll stick with ones I've met through this story. I'd say Mathilda and Alina. I mean,
    Sending your sick daughter through time to save her from execution despite not knowing how long it will be until you meet again, or if you ever will at all
    is a pretty intense introduction to the ties between two people - it's deep and real and despite all the time that has passed, it's still strong. I like that :)

Round 3

1) Let's talk about a mother's love: Mathilda has shown so many acts of protection and caring for Alina. Which ones stand out most to you?

I think the one I mentioned in question 3 of round 2 probably takes the cake. I mean, come on - it's go big or go home with that XD but other than that, I think it's just the little everyday things that show how much she cares, despite all the time that's passed. You don't always need grand gestures :)

2) If you're caught up, how do you feel about the current plan to remove the curse?

What do you think will happen to Flora? (please use spoilers as needed for your answers!)

I'm totally caught up =p It's a really good way to go about it, plot-wise (really good job coming up with it @sweetnightingale !), but it's very dangerous. I trust you not to let it go too horrifically haywire though, so I'm hoping for a good outcome. As for Flora, there are words I could use for what should happen to her, but most of them would probably be censored to 'plum' on this forum!

I know that a lot of pre-planning goes into your story, but do you use little things that happen autonomously in your game? If they don't go against the reality you've created, that is.

I love all the crossovers and fantasy elements - what can I say? You've got a real winner of a thing going here :)
    signature-gen-3.jpg
  • Options
    She is supportive of her daughter's decisions and encourages her to be strong.

Nervous. I think if I were Robin, I would have tried desperately to talk her out of doing it. However Silvan seemed very confident In the outcome so it seemed to make it easier to agree to. I just hope he knows what he is talking about. Flora is also a fairy....

What do you think will happen to Flora? (please use spoilers as needed for your answers!). I think she will somehow escape :( But I hope not.

When you begin to write your story, how far out do you have it planned? We all beginnings, and a lot of us have middles, but do you already know the ending?

It was fun seeing someone from another era try to make sense out of everything and of course the current drama makes it interesting.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Yay! I'm loving the answers, @Thymeless and @AudreyFld . :) You ladies rock for sure! Again, thank you so much for participating. :)

I've got some responses but I will have to put them up later. I have to leave in just a few minutes to go to our pen club meeting. The hubby and i are fountain pen fanatics and so we go to this pen club that meets every months. It's a bit of a trek (an hour there and an hour back), so it takes up most of our afternoon. I will definitely get those responses up this evening though. :)

So, before I go, I have a couple questions for all of you.

1) I sometimes worry about pacing in my stories. At times, I feel I go through the plot sequences a bit too fast and at other times, I get diarrhea of the fingers. LOL! How well do you feel I've handled that in this story?

2) There's a lot of romance happening here and it didn't take long for Robin and Alina to discover they had feelings for each other. I worry sometimes if I've done more "instalove" than having them fall in love over time. Again, I think this has to do with pacing and such. Do you think Robin and Alina fell for each other too quickly?

3) What do you think should happen to Flora? I've got some ideas spinning around but nothing's been set in stone. I have a direction but a lot can happen. I'm just curious on how you all think she should be dealt with.

If I think of any more, I'll post them when I come back. :)
    Post edited by sweetnightingale on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Well...I'm back earlier than expected. Looks like Sweetnightingale and Hubby get the Double Idjit Award. LOL LOL! We arrived at our pen club's meeting place and commented on being first. We sat in the car to wait for the others to arrive and for someone to unlock the door. Time went on and nobody showed up. So, we looked in the e-mail to see if it got cancelled. Then, we realized that the 12th wasn't the third Sunday, which is when we meet. Sooo...we were a week off. :open_mouth: Talk about both of us completely flaking out. *snort* We got a good laugh at ourselves though and joked that it was a heck of a long way to get a gallon of milk (we needed to grab a few things from the store on the way home). LOL!

Now, on to my responses to @Thymeless and @AudreyFld . :)

@Thymeless - I'm glad you liked how love developed between Robin and Alina Like you, I'm a complete sap and i go totally goony when I see little hearts flying around. :grin::heart::kissing_heart:

Awww gosh, yeah! Man, them distancing themselves like that was hard for me to write. Fertility treatments and infertility, in general, is rough stuff to go through. I didn't experience the full-blown treatments but what I did go through totally did a number on me in so many ways. Everyone seems to turn up pregnant, baby shower invitations totally swamp your mailbox, and you find yourself sobbing inconsolably over Pampers commercials. I remember feeling like I wanted to just jump off a bridge the day I found out my sister was pregnant. So yeah, it's not something to give yourself a badge of honor for.

It can also take a toll on a marriage. My husband wasn't really sensitive to what I was going through and I was very resentful for a long time. I've seen other couples go through hard times and the marriage suffers, sometimes irrevocably. It really is a heartbreaking situation to go through. Thankfully, Robin and Alina found their way back to each other; they're some of the lucky ones. I did have to laugh when you said you wanted to bang their heads together. :grin: Thankfully, they fixed things themselves, which is what is needed for what is soon to come.

As you can probably guess, it broke Mathilda's heart to send Alina away, but she knew it was the only way to save her life. Love hurts sometimes, and it was heartbreaking for both of them. And I agree. Often times, it's just the little things needed to show the care and love for someone and I think Mathilda does that well. :)

Thanks! :) I'm glad you like my little plot twist in how to remove the curse. I could have written it that either Silvan or Mathilda effortlessly do it right then and there, but I think that would be too easy. Some twists and turns are needed to keep the story from getting stale. Yes, it is very dangerous and a lot COULD go wrong. Mathilda is absolutely certain, though, that all will go according to plan and Silvan seems to know what he's doing. They're in good hands, so that will work greatly in their favor.

As to Flora...I have a direction but would love to hear what you all think should happen to her. :grin:

My stories are very plot driven and I do try to plan out the main events of a generation. The original plans don't always work out and I'll oftne tweak it along the way. Oh yes! I do let little things in the game influence the story at times. Robin is always doing lovely things for Alina, like, they are always kissing or holding hands, and he'll give her flowers. So, I'll use that for inspiration in my chapters. I guess an example of something happening in game that I can think of off the top of my head happened in another of my stories, "As Tears Go By." While Debbie (my founder there) was out, she witnessed a death so she was in mourning a lot. In the story, Nathaniel (her son) was about to age from a baby into a toddler and she was throwing him a little party. I got a screenshot of her crying due to her "In Mourning" moodlet and wrote into the story that she was having a little cry because her baby was growing up too fast. So yes, if something like that strikes me and if it fits, I'll definitely uee it. :)

So glad you love all the crossovers and fantasy. :) I love writing them and I'm a sucker for a fantasy story.

@AudreyFld -

Mathilda knows that for Alina to be a strong person, she has to make her own decisions. She might not always agree with them, but she will support her daughter and help her when needed.

You are right to be nervous over what is to come. This is a very dangerous thing they're about to do and Flora is going to be out for blood when she finds out they are on to her. I think if Robin didn't trust Mathilda's judgement implicitly, he would have done everything in his power to talk Alina out of it. After all, this will be the second time he'll have watched her die and that will be devastating to him, to say the least. Silvan is very skilled and knows what to do, but Flora may go after him in retaliation if she's not caught. Let's hope they can get to Flora before she gets to them and that everyone returns safely,

When writing a legacy, I try to plan the major events of one generation at a time. I might tweak it along the way and often, the exact original plans will change somewhat. I've got a pretty good idea of how Robin and Alina's generation will end and how the new one will begin. It kinda depends on the kid(s) they'll end up with and of course, what happens to them during the current drama they're involved in now. Sometimes I'll plan the next one just a little but normally, I'll just plan one at a time. If it's not a milti-generational story, I might plan certain parts of it while with others, I'll just wait and see where my muse takes me.
  • Options
    Hi! I had a busy weekend resting! LOL! Actually, I did a lot in addition to resting... like getting over my cold! Yay! And now... time for my Coffee Hour responses !

Round 1

I adored Alina. I love how innocent she is. And she looks so awesome in that head dress and medieval clothing! I also really enjoyed seeing her adapt to modern life.

She's so powerful! I feel her exerting a magnetic pull all through the early chapters, even though we don't see her. It becomes pretty clear (at least in terms of feeling) that she's casting protection spells! :)

Mathilda has been alive for such a long time, has known loss and love, has given birth, has watched others grow. Plus she's skilled in magic (to say the least... I mean, she's a goddess!), and she is wise through experience. Alina hasn't experienced much at all! She has such a good heart, and she is completely innocent.

I was so surprised! She's so out-of-time, and Robin seemed to be very much part of his time. Yet I bet he was drawn to her innocence and purity. Plus, he likes to be gallant and a bit of a hero, so Alina allows him to be both, possibly more than a woman of his time would!

Round 2

1) Favorite flavor: This love story carries many flavors of romance: sweet, savory, bitter, lingering... and more

Bittersweet is often my favorite flavor--and I do love all the bittersweet in this story. My favorite flavor, though, in this story is the savory. I love the richness, like herbs! It's like rosemary-roasted vegetables with roast garlic and onions! All those layers and layers of flavor! I think that maybe this rich complexity comes through the interconnectedness of all of Sweet's stories. That allows multiple notes to be played simultaneously.

I think my favorite mini-arc for carrying this flavor is the current one....
    Alina's trip through the afterlife, picking up the curse, and now her need to return in order to have the curse removed.

I find the search for Mathilda to be moving. There's something that really gets to me about being separated from someone loved, and so having to search for them is very poignant to me.

I really love the friendship between Lenora and Alina. Lenora is the pen pal of one of my Sims in the Pen Pal Project, and her letters are so supportive and loving that I can see how wonderful it would be to have her for a friend. And she's really just who Alina needs! Plus, I always love a good friendship story!

Round 3

This current arc
    of Mathilda sending her daughter back into death so that she can have the curse removed is to touching to me. What a sacrifice, since no mother would ever want to part with her child! It's an echo of the story's opening, when Alina was sent away for her safety.

I'm so scared! Not really. I think it will work out. But I'm super excited because it's such a great plot element, and I love how epic this development makes the plot!

3) What's your favorite aspect of this story?

Ummm.... it's richness! Like I mentioned before, it's got so many, many layers and flavor notes. I just love that! It's truly satisfying to read. I also love that it is written through time. I can feel the writer's commitment to and love of the story, and that imbues it with richness, too.

===

Thanks, @sweetnightingale , for writing this story, and all your stories! And thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughtful responses with us!

Also, thank you so much to @AudreyFld and @Thymeless for participating! I loved your responses! :)

Have a great week, everybody!

• Options
    1) I sometimes worry about pacing in my stories. At times, I feel I go through the plot sequences a bit too fast and at other times, I get diarrhea of the fingers. LOL! How well do you feel I've handled that in this story?

First of all I am not qualified to answer all of these technical questions and can only comment as a reader. I have zero training in creative writing. I joined this group to find good stories to read and to learn how to write them better myself. I seems this is a place to give and get honest feedback. So with that expectation set - on to my answer which I think might have to do with pacing. :blush:

Occasionally I will find myself skimming parts of the dialogue. It is usually parts where the characters continually go back and forth about how much they love each other. It is definitely needed but I think sometimes it drags out too much. Other times, such as during the wedding ceremony, the vows can tend to drag on and on. I have seen this in novels as well so it's probably just my reading style. Anyway, dont get me wrong, I absolutely love romance and knowing the characters are soul mates is important because it dictates the decisions they make. However as I think about this, I realize I would rather hear how they are feeling during the vows as to hearing all of the words they are saying. The words aren't as important as their feelings. That said, I realize that part of the vows you have them saying is a magical phrase that unites them in a special way and so is integral to the story. So hearing them is important. I would rather the first person say them and then instead of having to reread what I just read when the second person has to repeat them, maybe saying something like, as she repeated the same words her knees went weak with the feeling that overcame her. Again, that is just me, probably I am too impatient to get on with the story. When I start to skim like that I think sometimes I might miss a part of the story hidden within the text. Outside of this, I think this story moved at a good pace. As long as what I am reading is relevant to the story, I stay engaged.

2) There's a lot of romance happening here and it didn't take long for Robin and Alina to discover they had feelings for each other. I worry sometimes if I've done more "instalove" than having them fall in love over time. Again, I think this has to do with pacing and such. Do you think Robin and Alina fell for each other too quickly?

I think their love affair evolved gradually enough, not too quickly. Robin gave her time to adjust to her new world and didn't push her which was nice. It made it more special when they did finally admit their feelings to each other. For legacies, they sort of have to find someone fairly quickly! <3

3) What do you think should happen to Flora? I've got some ideas spinning around but nothing's been set in stone. I have a direction but a lot can happen. I'm just curious on how you all think she should be dealt with.

Honestly, death? >:) Haha! But that would make it too easy right? Have her "wings" removed making her mortal? Sent to hell? I can see a huge fairy duel between her and Silvan and she escapes. Lots of options here. :)
  • Options
    Okay. :) I'm gong to try to get all my replies in on long post, so here goes.

@CathyTea -

I'm so glad you adore Alina. She's become a favorite of mine and I really enjoy writing her unique perspective on things. I hope she always maintains at least a little of that sweet innocence that draws people to her.
    With what she's going through now, she's drawing on that inner strength and courage she didn't know she had while Robin is the one to feel helpless as he watches her die for the second time.

She will grow in experience but part of her will always be Old World, I think. :)

Mathilda, now, she's a different entity entirely. :) She's been there, done that, and seen the rest, and not much fazes her. She's calloused and jaded to a lot of life's intricacies but she still does have a big heart for those she does love and care for. She's a very powerful ally to have in your corner.

It was really interesting hearing your thoughts about Robin falling for Alina and how surprised you were. I think he was just what she needed. She needed that gentle and patient handling, something that most guys or people, for that matter, wouldn't have. Being a police officer...er...constable, he's called upon to do heroic things sometimes, so he's used to that. :) I think he was definitely in his element as the gallant and heroic gentleman. :)

I loved your analogy about the different flavors and the savoriness of this and my other stories. :) You always have such a great way with descriptions and this is no different. My husband often teases me that I can never do things the easy way. LOL! I'm just glad I have a good memory to keep these complex and interconnected details straight. :)
    It's great that you're favorite mini-arc is the afterlife storyline. I'm a complete goner when it comes to the story of Orpheus and Eurydice and wanted to put my own (happy ending) spin on it. I think it's a test of true, true love if your loved one (in a mythical story) is successful in retrieving you from the afterlife and brings you back safe and sound,

I remember writing those scenes where Alina was searching for Mathilda. It made my heart hurt at their separation. More than once, I was rather weepy when writing those scenes. It did my heart good to finally see them reunited, and Robin was instrumental in making that happen. :)

Awww, I love that you adore the friendship between Lenora and Alina. :) Those two always make me smile, and yes, Lenora would be a wonderful friend to have. You can probably tell that she's one of my favorite characters and most of my other characters adore her. It's rare to find a friend like that, but it makes me happy that Lenora and Alina have each other.

And thank you for being such a gracious and marvelous host. :) It was my pleasure to share with all of you and am so glad this story and my other ones are being enjoyed.

@AudreyFld - Hehe. I've taken a lot of writing classes so I forget sometimes that not everyone knows all the terms and such when it comes to creative writing. Even so, you gave great feedback, which I do appreciate. :)

I hear what you are saying about the pacing, especially with the romantic elements. I think it's the nature of the "beast" when it comes to mainstream romance stories. Like you said, you see this a lot in romance novels and that sometimes, the "love stuff" can drag on. I read a LOT of romance novels (unless I'm reading Stephen King, tee hee) and tend to follow the "formula" that many romance writers take on. Me, I like the love words and dialogue along with the descriptions of feelings. I tend to just drink it in and wouldn't dream of skipping over the dialogue. I guess it's a matter of personal preference and not everyone likes it slow and flowy; they'd rather have the wham-bam-thank-ya-Ma'am kind of deal. I tend to write what I like to read though, so again, it's a personal preference thing. :)

I write a lot of dialogue. I always have and probably always will. Being visually impaired, it's a challenge for me to write descriptions of certain things, such as a layout of a house or the decoration of a room. Where I fail to provide adequate "meat" in areas, I try to make up for it in the areas I feel strongest in.

I loved your response to my question about Flora. :) There are, indeed, a lot of possibilities and I just haven't totally made up my mind on everything that will be happening. I think you're going to like it, though, as I've got some twists and turns planned, that is, if you'll want to continue the story now that our discussion is coming to a close. :)

And so, there it is, folks. :) This has been great fun for me.
  • Options
    Hi, everyone! No Coffee Hour this week!

But I'm here early to announce next week's reading because it's so good, you'll want to be sure to read it and join in the conversation!

We'll be reading one of my favorite stories of love: Racket-Rotter Chronicles, Part Deux by @rednenemon

If anyone would like to be Coffee Hour host, please let me know! I would also enjoy partnering with someone for host, so if you'd enjoy that, let me know, too!

Really excited to talk about this beautiful, inspiring story with you. If you haven't read Racket-Rotter Chronicles, that's fine! You'll still be able to enjoy and appreciate Part Deux even without knowing the epic first volume.

Reading for the Week of Feb. 27 - March 3
    Love, Jacob by @Kittybit

I think you'll love this! The visuals and CC are pure eye-candy! So rich! It's short (not yet finished and currently on hiatus) so you can read it in a morning.

• Options
    Happy Coffee Hour! :)
    Mars-Bar-Slow-Cooker-Rice-Puddings-8.jpg

I'm here a little early, and our conversation will continue all weekend! This weekend, we're talking about a favorite reading treat of mine, Racket-Rotter Chronicles, Part Deux .

I thought we'd look at a different theme in each round of conversation:

Round One: To Love and Be Loved

Round Two: Pup Dog Heroes

Round Three: Strength and Healing

Yeah, I guess there will be some overlap in our conversation, but that's OK! Everything good always circles back!

Round One

Questions for Readers

1. This story is filled with little acts of caring. What are some of your favorite instances of this?

2. I love to examine the screenshots for all the details in the interior design that show the domestic love and care that fills this house. What's one of your favorite details? Share a screenshot, if you wish!

3. I have to admit that I turn to this story for inspiration in keeping the love alive in my own partnership during challenging times. Can you share ways that this story inspires you?

4. What do you learn about what it means to love and to be loved through reading this story?

Questions for the Writer

1. This story has a much different structure than Part One. How does writing part deux compare to writing the first part?

2. What were some of your favorite moments to write about?

3. How did you learn so much about love, and what is it like for you to write a story that demonstrates in nearly every chapter some of the different flavors of love?

4. Did you set out to write a love story, or did it just happen?

• Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    1. This story has a much different structure than Part One. How does writing part deux compare to writing the first part?
    Well, it is a relief I don't have to describe characters getting decapitated. But in all seriousness, it's definitely a departure from part one. It's something of a breather, if you will. Instead of blood and gore, I can write about dogs and their two humans in love.

2. What were some of your favorite moments to write about?
    Besides the chapters with the dogs? Probably any time they get to go outside and actually do something out of the house. (It's why I've tried to put a bunch of venues in place of some of the other Twinbrook lots; They need to do something in that town)

3. How did you learn so much about love, and what is it like for you to write a story that demonstrates in nearly every chapter some of the different flavors of love?
    To be quite honest, your guess is as good as mine. I've never considered romance to be a strong subject for me to be involved in, like at all. Most of the time, I don't even really research it. I usually just play other video games or listen to music on Youtube.
    One idea would probably be whenever I (somehow) get into something involving a romantic couple (whether on TV, in books, on the Internet, or in video games), I pay attention to what happens, and make a note of what the couple does (do that, do that, don't do that, avoid that entirely, do that, I guess I can make that in-character if I fiddle with it enough...). Simply put though, I don't really think too much in the end about writing it. I just write the chapter, present the main situation, and let the readers interpret it how they wish.

4. Did you set out to write a love story, or did it just happen?
    It just happened, I suppose. Originally, I wasn't going to write a Part Two at all. But something told me that I wasn't done writing about Sinbad and Shark. Thusly, Part Deux came into being. And depending on Part Deux ends, there may be a third part (which, depending on what happens, will be quite different from Part Deux)
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited February 2017
    Being a True Fan (tm) of the Racket-Rotter extended universe (the ship in general is legit why I started following @rednenemon back in 2013/2014 and why we met), I have been waiting for this week for too long.

1. This story is filled with little acts of caring. What are some of your favorite instances of this?

Senna and I love to rant about the "curing mental illness through love" trope, so thankfully Sinbad and Shark do not fall into that. Caring for a partner's mental illness is worlds away from that and I love how Sinbad cares deeply for Shark and gives him emotional reassurance and a safe place to cry it out.

2. I love to examine the screenshots for all the details in the interior design that show the domestic love and care that fills this house. What's one of your favorite details? Share a screenshot, if you wish!

The kitchen! When a lot of sim houses have sleek, stylish kitchens, the Racket-Rotters have a cluttered and tacky one. And most IRL kitchens are that, but with more old linoleum. :p I'll just tack on this screenshot from the most recent chapter:

screenshot-16-12.jpg?w=1024&h=768

3. I have to admit that I turn to this story for inspiration in keeping the love alive in my own partnership during challenging times. Can you share ways that this story inspires you?

It's weird because I know that a lot of this story is wish-fulfillment fantasy. It's less inspiration for how to better myself and more looking into what Senna and I want for the future. It really does boil down to a small house with lots of dogs. :p

4. What do you learn about what it means to love and to be loved through reading this story?

The most important part of a relationship is enjoying and having fun with simple pleasures together. Shark and Sinbad are not miserable with each other and it's probably because they can bond like that.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited February 2017
    I can't decide! There's so many lovely moments! I think everything Sinbad does to make Shark handle his issues a bit better. Like getting him his own room and then decorating it for Christmas.

And then there are the moments with the doggies caring about each other and about their human pals too, of course. :)

I love examining the screenshots too. I just really like how much stuff the guys have in their house! It feels very real. I was just admiring the kitchen and the chillis and the spices and the sombrero and all.
    screenshot-15-12.jpg?w=1024&h=768
    (The sombrero isn't actually in this screenshot; but it is in Infra's screenshot).

Also Shark's stuffed toys are so cute!

Hmm... I'd say that it reminds me that everyday life is full of all kinds of tangles and trial and error and requires compromises and always learning more about the living ones one shares a home with. And that's inspiring because this story also reminds me that with people one loves, it's definitely more than worth it.

I refer to my previous answer. :) It reminds me that love isn't always or even most of the time anything close to fairytale-like, but all the tangles and difficulties of everyday life just make it better.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)