Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any fixes for the .tmp files?

Comments

• Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    ZeeGee, on The Sims 3 Wiki you can see pictures of the three base game covers. I have the second one, which I bought in late fall 2011, and fortunately it doesn't require Origin and internet connection to work.
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    edited January 2016
    UPDATE: This no longer works due to patch 1.69. The only fix is to have a pre-2012 disc plus all EPs and SPs on disc.

So it takes a village! But I finally got this problem fixed due to advice from a of different people @me1620, @ciane and @kellycot1, and moral support from @mothersuperior2 was nice too.

I bought the right used disc (the diamond one) from a seller on Amazon and followed these instructions from Crinrict that Jodi found with her mad google skills:

•Uninstall the game and Origin
    •Clean the Registery manually
    •Restart the computer
    •Run CCleaner to clean all temp files + clean registery
    •Restart the computer
    •Install Origin
    •Download & install the base game (old version)
    •Manually patched to 1.67 since I already had that on my computer and did not want to re-download another 1.6 GB
    •Went to ts3w.exe and double-clicked on it. It started with no issue
    •Then I UNINSTALLED Origin
    •went to ts3w.exe and double-clicked on it. It started with no issue

I did exactly what it said up until the next to the last step, uninstall Origin, because all my expansion packs are on Origin. I can now boot the game without the launcher, yippee!! The new game will not recognize my dccache files or download files from the previous game folder but when I redownload it from the store it works just fine. So when I get time I'm going to redownload my content using Ciane's method and all should be well!

The secret to this is finding a used or new old disc. The one I have is pretty beat up but it worked. :)
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    @ZeeGee ─ I'm so glad that you finally got it to work! I know it was anything but easy, but I'm proud that you persisted. Thank you as well for explaining the workaround, so that we can point it out for other Simmers in the future. Although I know your main goal was avoiding the .tmp files, I'm hoping that you'll also be able to access Edit in Game if you decide to use Create a World one day.

Also, thank you for reminding me about the Store content being 'different' for the Origin and early disc version of the base game. I've been meaning to back up my Store content on another PC for Origin, so that if I ever install that way my content will still work, but it'd slipped my mind and dropped off my to-do list. Back on my to-do list it goes! :smiley:
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    Thank you! @kellycot1 I am excited about being able to use edit in game. There's places in Sunset Valley that I've been wanting to change the terrain. Ok, so the store content IS different! I thought I'd done something wrong. Good to know. :) I'll keep my old files too in case I ever need them again.
  • Options
    @ZeeGee ─ haha, of course you didn't do anything wrong! Here's what it says on SimsVip about the Store content being different:
    Please note that re-installing content only works when using the same game version. This means that if you download Store Content with a physical or digital game version, the content will only install when using the same game version.

Examples: If you download Store content with a Disc-based version of the game installed, you will not be able to re-install the store content with a Digital version of the game. Additionally, if you download Store Content with a digital version of the game installed, you will not be able to re-install the store content with a disc-based version of the game.
    I assume it would also apply to the disc versions that require Origin, although I'm not sure exactly how that fits into the scenario (e.g. whether Origin and disc-based Origin will work with the same Store content, or not). I still have my disc versions installed, but I'm sure at some point in the distant future I might need to use the Origin downloaded games instead, so I've been meaning to back up my Store content BOTH ways. You can never be too careful!

I'm so excited that you'll be changing the terrain in Sunset Valley a little! I LOVE doing that with the EA worlds, just to add a few extra lots to accommodate the EP and Store additions. I've gone back and redone my Sunset Valley over and over again, since I'm always getting better with CAW and coming up with different ways of integrating new lots. I'm sure you already have your own plans, but I can't help but share a few photos from when I first expanded SV (I hope you don't mind!):

NSV1_zps3afc96b9.png

NSV2_zps82f68047.png

Pretty simple changes, but that accounts for EIGHT additional lots! The area from the first photo has gone on to become a boutique-y shopping village (with a salon and gallery shop) and the second area at Pinochle Point is full of clubs and venues (complete with movie studio and Big Show Venue). I definitely recommend customising the EA towns you like playing in this way ─ it makes a huge difference to making it feel like yours!

Good luck with your CAW makeover of SV, and your Simming in general. I remember how excited I was when I first learned how to bypass the launcher! :smile:
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    @kellycot1 Thanks for the explanation and LOVE your pics! Love what you've done. Now I'm really excited about this tool!
  • Options
    @ZeeGee ─ thank you! I know that it might take you a while to get around to it, but I'd love to see pictures when you finally do make some changes. It's always so inspiring to see what other Simmers do with their worlds!
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    Ok, will do :smiley:
  • Options
    mothersuperior2mothersuperior2 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Glad you've found a solution to the problem. I have the original (diamond disc cover) but I also bought another disc a few years later when I was worried I might have scratched the original. I'm not an addict! B)

Every time I download new stuff, eg through the launcher, I go in and delete the temp files which are created. Crinrict also had some instructions on cleaning up the cache files each time. @ME1620 can probably give you the link. Believe Crinrict is also on EA help, or was last time I looked. This definitely speeds up the game, but never delete ccmerged.
    I have a weird sense of humour. If it doesn't come across, please forgive me in advance.

Are Kevin's undergarments lurking in a wishlist near you?

I own the Store 5584.gifMy Page
    HOW?
    Cascades
    Daily Deals
  • Options
    Glad you've found a solution to the problem. I have the original (diamond disc cover) but I also bought another disc a few years later when I was worried I might have scratched the original. I'm not an addict! B)

@mothersuperior2 Denial. Complete and total denial. :wink:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    @kellycot1 How did you get your SV game into EIG? Did you use the method with S3PE described over at MTS?
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    @ZeeGee - yeah, I used the MTS guide with S3PE. I found it a little tricky to understand at first (my brain couldn't quite grasp the instructions while they were still abstract), so I think it's best to back up everything you need and then follow along with the guide step by step after you get a vague sense of what to do.

Also, if there's something specific you want to do, e.g. replace Sunset Valley in the opening menu, I recommend researching that first. Most things like that can be tweaked later (which I had to do), but I think it might have been easier for me if I'd just started with that intention. I'm on my phone, so can maybe send links later if you need, but I found there's two methods for a default replacement.

I went with Margaret Pendragon's method (also on MTS) because I made so many changes to trees, landscape and lots -- from memory, her method involves keeping the original WPID and keeping the name of the original world, then installing it like a standard custom world and placing it the .world file from InstalledWorlds into the original location for the SV .world file (or whichever world you're replacing). That's only from memory though.

Another way is to integrate your changes via S3PE into the original world -- in the same way that ellacharmed imports her changes into a .world routing fix. That would work very well if you're changing a few clear things, but may be trickier if you're sculpting the land in places and adding new lots.

Anyway, I hope that helps you out a little! I was so confused when I first started, but I've learned so much about my game since doing this. S3PE is an incredible tool!
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    http://modthesims.info/t/469942

@kellycot1 This is the one that I tried. It didn't work but I think it's one of those things I need to try a few times to make sure I'm getting everything right. :D I couldn't find anything by Margaret Pendragon on how to do this.

Thanks for all your help. :)
  • Options
    @ZeeGee, that's definitely the right guide for the basic process, but it did take me a few attempts to really get the hang of what I was doing. I agree that it might just take a few more times. If you're having a specific problem though, I can try to answer it for you!

As a general suggestion, I made sure I printed out the instructions from that thread and went through it very slowly. I also read through the whole thread carefully, and any other examples/instructions I included on my print-out to follow along. It took me reading a few different guides on the same thing to really grasp what was happening.

For example, that guide about Bridgeport really helped me with Sunset Valley, even though I didn't follow the instructions specific to Bridgeport ─ i.e. I ignored the bits about the city designation and the XML file. No idea why, but I found reading that step-by-step guide made the most sense for me.

If you want to do anything 'trickier' than that basic guide, here are a few links:
    - Making a default replacement: http://modthesims.info/t/514323
    - Opening worlds with XML files (so not Sunset Valley), from that same thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=3573942&postcount=7
    - Working with a Store world (see step 4 with the Recompressor): http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:World_Routing_Lags/Editwiths3pe

That's all I could find in my bookmarks that looked relevant, but if you have any more questions I'm happy to try to answer (or track down the guides that helped me out).

Without being too specific, these are the basic steps you're trying to achieve after backing up everything:
    - Create a new world in CAW and save
    - Open the world with S3PE and import the resources from the original .world file you want; save
    - Open your world and make your changes
    - Add a thumbnail, name, etc. before exporting
    - Install it like any custom world

If you want your version of the world to replace the original, you generally want to keep the identifying information from the original world. For example, keep Sunset Valley's WPID resource and make sure to name it the same thing (Sunset Valley). Then you'll have to, using that default replacement guide, move the original Sunset Valley file and put yours in its place.

It really all is a lot of trial and error until you get the hang of it, but I know you'll get it! :smile:
    a.k.a. Erin
  • Options
    Ok! Thanks for the advice and moral support. I'm sure I will be back with questions!
  • Options
    UPDATE: Due to patch 1.69 you can no longer download your pre-2012 game from Origin, you have to install it from the disc. Also you cannot download any EPs or SPs you own on Origin without patching to 1.69. So buying a physical disc for every EP and SP is now the only solution for the tmp files. :(
  • Options
    ANOTHER UPDATE: Buying through Steam can help you avoid 1.69 patch but Steam boots your game through the launcher so you will probably still get the tmp files. If anyone on Steam would like to test this out that would be great!
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    ANOTHER UPDATE: Buying through Steam can help you avoid 1.69 patch but Steam boots your game through the launcher so you will probably still get the tmp files. If anyone on Steam would like to test this out that would be great!

When I ran the game through Steam years ago I could bypass the Launcher. Is that no longer possible?
  • Options
    @TreyNutz I don't know. I was told by someone who uses it that they have to go through the launcher to boot up. I have the base game and some EPs on Steam but I've never installed them because I have the all disc install. How did you bypass? Does Steam have the same TS3W shortcut that the discs do?
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I made a shortcut to the TS3W.exe file. That's how I bypassed the Launcher back when I was using Steam for the game.
  • Options
    @TreyNutz I wonder if it still works that way? Any current Steam users out there to test this?
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I know I read that if ALL the EPs/SPs and base game were steam, then it was possible to avoid Origin. I'm not sure where I read it or who posted it though. Hopefully someone will drop and confirm that for you.
  • Options
    mylastsong18mylastsong18 Posts: 3 New Member
    Caine had the fix all along, we were just missing one step. After creating the txt documents and renaming them to dcdb*.tmp files we need to right click and go into properties, then go to security, then Edit. Checkmark deny for each group/user and then click ok twice. Launch the launcher and because the game is unable to write to the .tmp files no matter how hard it tries they are never repopulated so they stay at 0kb

I have no idea how to attach an image so hopefully this link will work
    http://imgur.com/fAmZe78
  • Options
    mylastsong18mylastsong18 Posts: 3 New Member
    Can't edit my post since i'm a newbie but when i say checkmark deny for each goup/user i mean checkmark deny the write permissions for each group/user. The game still needs to be able to read them
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @mylastsong18 That is awesome. I'm going to try it, because anytime I open the launcher it still creates the doubles and I have to delete them.