Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread Has Been Relocated

Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
Post edited by Colton147147 on

Comments

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    J22Vlmp.jpg
    It can't be!
  • Options
    WhimsyMoonWhimsyMoon Posts: 120 Member
    Wow.....I think my mind just blew a fuse......
  • Options
    Hawkgirl wrote: »
    Popcorn! Getchur popcorn here!

*eats all your popcorn* NOM!

:#
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    Also in the same thread you can see him in a video playing and loving SIM city before it launched it just feels so true to me
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13674736#Comment_13674736
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    edited May 2015
    xBob18 wrote: »
    We just need the team from TS2 back. I couldn't care less about Will Wright. TS2 was better than TS1 by x1000 and he wasn't involved in that one.

There are a couple left SimGurus that are left that have worked on both the Sims 1 and the Sims 2 (@SimGuruLyndsay and @SimGuruShannon for example...).
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I found this comment a few minutes ago in the Off-Topic section and found it very interesting...
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Will is more impressed with how players can create, he isn't very interested in Family Play. None of his games (The Sims + The Sims Bustin Out) focused on Families to the extent that Sims 2 + Sims 3 did.
    He would probably praise the new Build Tools, and praise CAS.

Will Wright worked on The Sims Bustin Out, before leaving. The Sims Bustin Out was a game focused on completing career and life goals, which is what The Sims 4 is built on. Will Wright stepped out of development for The Sims 2, as it no longer interested him (at the time) and he wanted to work on a different game (Spore).

So basically, The Sims 4 is really where Will Wright left off with The Sims Bustin Out.

And it was moved to Off Topic for a reason - it's Off Topic.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    We just need the team from TS2 back. I couldn't care less about Will Wright. TS2 was better than TS1 by x1000 and he wasn't involved in that one.

There are a couple left SimGurus that are left that have worked on both the Sims 1 and the Sims 2 (@SimGuruLyndsay and @SimGuruShannon for example...).
    I am aware of that. The problem is that it's just not obvious considering the current state of TS4.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member

I am aware of that. The problem is that it's just not obvious considering the current state of TS4.
    The developers can only work with what they're given with. If the planning & design for the game from the higher-ups is plum, then it all goes downhill from there. I still find Sims 4 enjoyable, I just know it could be better.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    No one knows what Will Wright would or wouldn't do now. Only Mr. Wright himself could tell you that. Anything else is pure speculation and conjecture.

This completely. What we do know is that Will is no longer interested in the simulation genre. He has moved on to other projects outside of Maxis and EA. The Sims 2 - 4 were all products of EA and the respective teams working on them, not Will Wrights vision.
  • Options
    Mollypup9Mollypup9 Posts: 518 Member
    Can I say something?

Will Wright didn't want The Sims to be just about families, he didn't just want it to be about singles, he didn't want it to be just about builder either, he wanted the players to choose what to do with their Sims, he wanted it to be about different play styles.

No one had really done this before but they continued that in TS2 & Ts3.

It has somewhat stopped in TS4 though, which goes to show, for 14 and a half years, Will Wright's vision was successful.

As for the new 'vision' I must be short sighted as I just can't see it!

*goes back into hiding*

This.

Will Wright's formula worked. Either deliberately or accidentally he found the perfect formula for a sandbox life simulator. It was a balance that included an exceptionally wide range of audience and appealed to an unheard of wide range of age groups. (still unheard of actually)

You have problems is when there is no more balance..........the formula has been altered. In TS4 it has been not only altered, but changed quite a bit. There is no balance in TS4 either deliberately or accidentally. Builders and creators are extremely limited. Play styles are restricted to one degree or another.

Will created the sims then he moved on. I will forever be grateful but it doesn't mean we should put him up on some sort of pedestal. He moved on after TS1 because he felt the series should not have sequels. So there you go. Perhaps this is why. The team he left behind still loved the sims and created TS2 the best of the best. Teams change. Management changes. The more time passes the more that happens. Visions get lost.

Devs only do what their bosses tell them to do. Bosses set the guidelines. If they want the game to go a certain way......it will be made a certain way, whether devs agree or not.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Mollypup9 wrote: »
    Can I say something?

Will Wright didn't want The Sims to be just about families, he didn't just want it to be about singles, he didn't want it to be just about builder either, he wanted the players to choose what to do with their Sims, he wanted it to be about different play styles.

It has somewhat stopped in TS4 though, which goes to show, for 14 and a half years, Will Wright's vision was successful.

*goes back into hiding*

This.

Will Wright's formula worked. Either deliberately or accidentally he found the perfect formula for a sandbox life simulator. It was a balance that included an exceptionally wide range of audience and appealed to an unheard of wide range of age groups. (still unheard of actually)

You have problems is when there is no more balance..........the formula has been altered. In TS4 it has been not only altered, but changed quite a bit. There is no balance in TS4 either deliberately or accidentally. Builders and creators are extremely limited. Play styles are restricted to one degree or another.

Will created the sims then he moved on. I will forever be grateful but it doesn't mean we should put him up on some sort of pedestal. He moved on after TS1 because he felt the series should not have sequels. So there you go. Perhaps this is why. The team he left behind still loved the sims and created TS2 the best of the best. Teams change. Management changes. The more time passes the more that happens. Visions get lost.

Devs only do what their bosses tell them to do. Bosses set the guidelines. If they want the game to go a certain way......it will be made a certain way, whether devs agree or not.

Good reply!

I think he moved on because 'his work was done' and maybe felt he could never do it all the second time like he did the first time yet, the following two games where good as they followed his vision.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited May 2015
    Mollypup9 wrote: »
    Can I say something?

*goes back into hiding*

This.

Bosses changed from TS2 -> TS3 -> TS4?
  • Options
    leo3487 wrote: »
    Can I say something?

*goes back into hiding*

Yes, bosses changed but the vision was the same
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Can I say something?

*goes back into hiding*

I wanted reply to @Mollypup9 but thanks

As she said Team loved The Sims and continued it, but also said Devs do what their bosses tell to them. Sounded as team as going from one boss to another ;)
  • Options
    Can I say something?

*goes back into hiding*

I wanted reply to @Mollypup9 but thanks

As she said Team loved The Sims and continued it, but also said Devs do what their bosses tell to them. Sounded as team as going from one boss to another ;)

I guess the reason why many devs left is because, they knew what is best for The Sims but the 'higher ups' don't and there was conflict at the studio?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    I started playing long after Will Wright exited the scene so I don't have much reverence for him. In fact in the last interview I read with him, he talked about Simmers wanting to take their sims with them on vacation and whatnot. It was just weird.

With that in mind I say, "Who cares what his vision was/is?". If he cared about what happened with the game, he would have stayed with it. As it was, he sold it and walked away fat and happy. I wish him well but his vision hasn't been relevant for 10 years or more.
  • Options
    I started playing long after Will Wright exited the scene so I don't have much reverence for him. In fact in the last interview I read with him, he talked about Simmers wanting to take their sims with them on vacation and whatnot. It was just weird.

With that in mind I say, "Who cares what his vision was/is?". If he cared about what happened with the game, he would have stayed with it. As it was, he sold it and walked away fat and happy. I wish him well but his vision hasn't been relevant for 10 years or more.

Who wouldn't want to go away with their Sims? lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    You're quoting someone who is presuming to know what someone else said/did about a console game? Niiiiice. :+1:

• Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited May 2015
    In this article Will Wright was thinking about architecture and building a home and also about family life. That's what I read from it Here is the link...http://www.berkeleyside.com/2011/10/17/will-wright-inspired-to-make-the-sims-after-iosing-a-home/

I am replying to posts on here who said it was not about building or about family life. It is as @king _of _simcity7 said, he wanted it to be all of this and more!

This interested me also http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,4217/

This one was interesting also. http://www.will-wright.com/willshistory11.php
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2015
    I found this comment a few minutes ago in the Off-Topic section and found it very interesting...
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Will is more impressed with how players can create, he isn't very interested in Family Play. None of his games (The Sims + The Sims Bustin Out) focused on Families to the extent that Sims 2 + Sims 3 did.
    He would probably praise the new Build Tools, and praise CAS.

Will Wright worked on The Sims Bustin Out, before leaving. The Sims Bustin Out was a game focused on completing career and life goals, which is what The Sims 4 is built on. Will Wright stepped out of development for The Sims 2, as it no longer interested him (at the time) and he wanted to work on a different game (Spore).

So basically, The Sims 4 is really where Will Wright left off with The Sims Bustin Out.

It's normal.

Will Wright's Maxis, each time a new game :

1989 : SimCity
    1992 : SimEarth
    1992 : SimLife
    1993 : SimAnt
    1993 : SimCity 2000
    1994 : SimHealth
    1995 : SimIsle
    1995 : SimTower
    1995 : SimCopter
    1997 : Streets of SimCity

EA Maxis, only The Sims and SimCity :

2000 : The Sims
    1999 : SimCity 3000
    2002 : The Sims Online
    2003 : SimCity 4
    2004 : The Sims 2
    2008 : Spore
    2009 : The Sims 3
    2011 : DarkSpore
    2013 : SimCity
    2014 : The Sims 4

Will Wright's Maxis always brought a new experience when EA Maxis tries to maintain the successful games.

If Will Wright's Maxis was still here today, The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 would never exist.

EA is like Ubisoft, Capcom and the other publishers, they sing your favorite song until you hate it.

• Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    I cant find a single solitary reason to care