Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you let your sims decide their likes/dislikes?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    No, I usually don't let them decide.
    Nope, I like to think I know better than they do. :D "The Watcher knows all!"
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I play a large rotation snd haven’t given all of my sims likes/dislikes yet. If one pops up that I want them to have then I give it to them, otherwise no.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Yes, I usually let them decide!
    Key word is "usually". If they decide to like something completely out of left field, I might veto it; likewise if they dislike something that's in their best long-term interest, I pull out the "I can't let you do that, Dave" button and override.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    When I make my Sims, I decide who they are, and give likes/dislikes accordingly. The younger a Sim is, the fewer I'll give them since their personalities will grow over time.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Today I had a sim with a Robotics degree tinker on the workbench and decided she dislikes Robotics!

I did not allow that one.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    There wasn't a 'sometimes' option. When I create a Sim, I have a persona in mind for them--I'll let them like/dislike whatever lines up with the persona I've created. Example; if I have a lazy Sim and I'm asked if they should like working out, the answer would be no
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    No, not because I don't want them to but because I found the pop ups to be annoying since i got it for every sim not just my current household so I use a mod that removed the pop up. So if I want to have likes/dislikes I have to change them.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Yes, all the time whether I play them or not.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

Usually I'm like, "Why not? Sure you can hate Pop Music." :D
    But not always.
    A Sim who is a painter hating painting doesn't make sense. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

Actually it kinda does sometimes.
    maybe they used to love painting when they were doing it as hobby

but once it became a job they must make money out of and try to make things that are likeable it became horrible

I know quite many artists that have the exact problem in reality

that being said yeah its not like all painters are tortured souls so maybe that sim has avoided that problem for now ;)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I've let them decide up to a point. If it doesn't make sense to the sim in question, I may decline the "like" or "dislike".
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I am in between. I pick some of the likes and dislikes but I allow some to be added through the game including for random sims. If I really don't want the like or dislike then I ignore or change it. Since I have a lot of sims already with established personalities, I picked likes and dislikes for them. I'll add that when I pick likes and dislikes I base that on the character so the musical tastes are usually what seems to fit their personalities but I also add exceptions.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

Actually it kinda does sometimes.
    maybe they used to love painting when they were doing it as hobby

but once it became a job they must make money out of and try to make things that are likeable it became horrible

I know quite many artists that have the exact problem in reality

that being said yeah its not like all painters are tortured souls so maybe that sim has avoided that problem for now ;)

Very insightful. I was actually thinking that too. I just used that as the simplest example.

I've noticed mostly it's NPC "played" Sims that happen to be randomly jogging where ever I am playing. They want to like fitness. (Or occasionally dislike it).

I've been going in now to Sim characters and giving them likes and dislikes now based on what I think fits the character. Not maxed out, just a few, up to 10 of 20 sometimes.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options

@Winifred_Willow You're cat avatar! :D:D:DB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm5ipvmAMK0

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    CASim1000CASim1000 Posts: 21 Member
    They always choose the same activities (exercise, cooking or dancing)...
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I had forgotten that my sim posted a sign that she really did not like fishing, so I agreed she disliked fishing. Well, in a moment of "I forgot" I had her fish in the public area of HoB. She fished for a few sim minutes, then threw her pole down and with a dislike thought bubble, she walked off. I swear she threw me a dirty look! :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I recently started a new game and I did not assign any likes/dislikes, I've been assigning them as I play, still a sim with the active trait, well I don't let them dislike working out, for example, mostly likes assigned so far though.

Just today, Akira was at Summer and Joaquin's wedding and I allowed him to dislike dancing. Watching Joaquin on the floor ( high dance skill), well, I definitely see how he could be intimidated and decide he disliked it. So, I have to say, it can offer a bit of story play.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options

I would change my vote on this. To No in blue.

If it fits then I'll click on "Yes".

Otherwise I've been finding now that, (let's say), they "like" fitness, then all they want to do is work out, even if maxed out at 10 fitness. If they "like" video gaming, all they want to do is play video games. If they "like" playing Sims 4, they'll never stop playing Sims 4 to even eat, shower, or pee. Heh! :D:p;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    edited July 2021
    It depends. If it makes sense for the sim, then yes. This for additional "likes/dislikes" that are triggered ingame, I usually set the ones I want in CAS.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    If I let my sims decide, they would like every activity they do. Whenever they do anything, the game asks me if they should like it.
  • Options
    JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,966 Member
    Has to match with their story though. If I’m making a gardener grind out some gardening and the game says ‘hates gardening‘ then the answer is no, they have to love it. My favourite like is fitness because the Sims keep it by themselves.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I'm actually back to saying "Yes I usually let then decide!" again.

Basically what @JojoMOMSTER said. Although I have been going in now for my Sims and giving them mostly likes and maybe a few dislikes based on what I think the character would like/dislike. For example, someone with the dance master trait (What ever it's called), I give them a like for dancing. And maybe some of the types of music that more involve dancing like Disco. Maybe dislike spooky music because (By my reasoning) can't really dance to it. So it irritates him/her. ;)

Someone gloomy, may like spooky music though. Right?
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    100LilDreams100LilDreams Posts: 34 Member
    i give them some randomized ones and then let them build up some as they go about their lives, if a sim ends up disliking somehting cause they are in a bad mood then they are stuck disliking it, better hope its not something related to what they want to achieve in life. though sometimes im nice and swap their aspiration the dislike is heavily involved in to something else.