The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »
    so, does anyone have any recommendations for how to use wordpress? i've been attempting for around a month with little to no progress :s

What are you trying to do? Set up a homepage, a chapter list, make your first post? Wordpress is a bit of a learning curve but okay once you get the hang of it.

well i know how to make a site but apart from that am currently clueless. cannot find many helpful videos either and it's been a bit wild :'(

c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
  • Options
    _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,755 Member
    so, does anyone have any recommendations for how to use wordpress? i've been attempting for around a month with little to no progress :s

What are you trying to do? Set up a homepage, a chapter list, make your first post? Wordpress is a bit of a learning curve but okay once you get the hang of it.

well i know how to make a site but apart from that am currently clueless. cannot find many helpful videos either and it's been a bit wild :'(

Hm, okay. If you've already got your site and log in on wordpress, it should take you to My Home, a dashboard of sorts. From there, if you click on the "site" option on the left (the one with a little pencil in front of it), it opens up a submenu and you can look at for example your pages and posts. From there, you can create new posts. That's how it works here, at least. Does this help?
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • Options
    JamesSims528JamesSims528 Posts: 151 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! :) Question for the group:

How do you cope with stories you like being abandoned?

I've started reading quite a few new stories lately but some of those I have really enjoyed seem abandoned after a few chapters. Obviously I understand that not everyone can keep up a schedule or maybe you find out simlit is not actually for you but it still sucks because I got invested... should I be more selective about what I start reading in the first place?

I tend to read a few stories at a time, and then if one of them stops I'll still be invested in another one so it won't suck as much. Sometimes I might just take a break from reading simlit when one stops, it helps. I don't think you should be more selective but just prepare yourself for any of them to stop. Life gets in the way sometimes, and eventually you get used to it. 😁
    Hope this helps
    so, does anyone have any recommendations for how to use wordpress? i've been attempting for around a month with little to no progress

I've started reading quite a few new stories lately but some of those I have really enjoyed seem abandoned after a few chapters. Obviously I understand that not everyone can keep up a schedule or maybe you find out simlit is not actually for you but it still sucks because I got invested... should I be more selective about what I start reading in the first place?

I tend to read a few stories at a time, and then if one of them stops I'll still be invested in another one so it won't suck as much. Sometimes I might just take a break from reading simlit when one stops, it helps. I don't think you should be more selective but just prepare yourself for any of them to stop. Life gets in the way sometimes, but eventually you get used to it. 🙂
    Hope this helps 😁
  • Options
    capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member

Hm, okay. If you've already got your site and log in on wordpress, it should take you to My Home, a dashboard of sorts. From there, if you click on the "site" option on the left (the one with a little pencil in front of it), it opens up a submenu and you can look at for example your pages and posts. From there, you can create new posts. That's how it works here, at least. Does this help?

partially; i know most of how to navigate it but do not know how to customize the homepage and that sort of thing. should we move to dms instead of clogging up the lounge?

c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited February 2021

Hi @capturethemagic :)

If you've got a site, first thing you might want to do is pick a theme. You can do that by clicking My Sites in the top left corner, which will open up a menu on the left hand side - go to Design > Themes.

That will open up some recommended themes for you, but you might want to scroll past that, select 'Show all themes' and filter by Free.

I've put a screenshot in the spoiler section if you're struggling to find this.
    fw2KgP4.jpg

You can look at the theme demos as you browse the gallery. I would not get overly hung up on what the home page of a theme looks like, because you might not even end up using the home page template. What you mainly want to look at is if you like the format of a post - what is the font like? What about image sizes? - and a basic page.

Once you've selected a theme, go back to My Home. Now choose the Site option. This is where you can make Posts, and Pages. By default, I believe your home page will just be your latest posts feed, but you can create a dedicated page to be your homepage if you like. You can mess with this under Design > Customize, but I would probably just stick to the defaults if you're just starting.

In general, I would not get too hung up on the exact site design for now and leave most of the customisation till later as you get more comfortable. Just start off with making a post or two and seeing what that looks like. Don't worry about making your site perfect or understanding all the options from the start, it will grow naturally :)

I hope that helps a bit!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

i had a mod issue and had to start again. i wrote esactly 1 post then hurt my foot. so just getting back to it
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hello everyone! It's been a long while since I've been on here and I've recently gone through something and short story short, I have returned to the Sims 4 to help me cope and get through. My old blog has been abandoned and, quite frankly, is a total mess so I have abandoned it and moved to a shiny new blog with all new stories and sims! I'm in the process of porting over the stuff I can salvage c: Happy to be back and I hope I can connect with new simmers and reconnect with old simmers <3

Welcome back, Tiger! It's great how The Sims can help us cope, isn't it?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hello everyone! It's been a long while since I've been on here and I've recently gone through something and short story short, I have returned to the Sims 4 to help me cope and get through. My old blog has been abandoned and, quite frankly, is a total mess so I have abandoned it and moved to a shiny new blog with all new stories and sims! I'm in the process of porting over the stuff I can salvage c: Happy to be back and I hope I can connect with new simmers and reconnect with old simmers <3

hi tiger. and sis is here too, now that i walk slower she keeps running away from me. :)
  • Options

Oh! We put together a thread on how to use WordPress.... let me see if I can find it!

Here it is! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/884242/wordpress-how-to-start-for-very-beginners

If you can't find what you're looking for there, just ask on that thread, and you can tag me, and we can see if we can figure it out!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    i might write today cause of noel i had to do research. wasn't exactly sure what enamored meant, so ha to look it up.
  • Options
    i might write today cause of noel i had to do research. wasn't exactly sure what enamored meant, so ha to look it up.

"Enamored" is how I feel about you, Sis! That's all you need to know! <3

• Options

"Enamored" is how I feel about you, Sis! That's all you need to know! <3

i love you too. <3
  • Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,394 Member

Oh! We put together a thread on how to use WordPress.... let me see if I can find it!

Here it is! https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/884242/wordpress-how-to-start-for-very-beginners

If you can't find what you're looking for there, just ask on that thread, and you can tag me, and we can see if we can figure it out!

@CathyTea I'm really glad you resume that thread.
    I could have used that lifeline when I started my Wordpress but was in doubt if it was necroposting.
  • Options

@CathyTea I'm really glad you resume that thread.
    I could have used that lifeline when I started my Wordpress but was in doubt if it was necroposting.

Oh, I forgot all about necroposting! I think if you add a new question, it's not necroposting. (I should really review that necroposting thread to learn more, though...)

Also, we worked on that thread several years ago, and WordPress has changed a bit since then, so we might need to update it!

• Options
    NoWindowsNoWindows Posts: 162 Member
    Y'alls Sims ever just have A Day
    Call me AC1. It won't let me change my name!

Read Watercolor Whimsy here!
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,263 Member
    NoWindows wrote: »
    Y'alls Sims ever just have A Day

All the time. :grimace:
  • Options
    AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member

Thanks! :D It really is. I usually just drown myself in PS4 but I recently had to sell it so I ended up back into Sims 4. It's so easy to just jump in and get consumed by it which makes everything seem a lot easier to deal with.

hi tiger. and sis is here too, now that i walk slower she keeps running away from me. :)

Hello! I hope she stops running away from you haha
    ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
    ntlW6ly.png
  • Options

Thanks! :D It really is. I usually just drown myself in PS4 but I recently had to sell it so I ended up back into Sims 4. It's so easy to just jump in and get consumed by it which makes everything seem a lot easier to deal with.

Hello! I hope she stops running away from you haha

i saw her today.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,790 Member
    Personally I think my SimLit is away for me to cope with the trauma I had to deal with.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member
    Can I get some tips on making a Table of Contents? I use wordpress btw. As a writer/reader, do you prefer having one page where all of the stories are listed? Do you prefer having a toc for each story on a separate post? Both??
    ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
    ntlW6ly.png
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Can I get some tips on making a Table of Contents? I use wordpress btw. As a writer/reader, do you prefer having one page where all of the stories are listed? Do you prefer having a toc for each story on a separate post? Both??

Hmm, I like both your ideas, but combined- there's a list of all the stories, and each story link takes you to the page for the story chapters!
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Hmm, I like both your ideas, but combined- there's a list of all the stories, and each story link takes you to the page for the story chapters!

This is really helpful for beginning reading a story or so that you can continue where you left off. That way all the chapters are categorised under separate stories.
  • Options
    Do your sims ever just get completely random phone calls?

2021-02-20.png
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @JamesSims528: this is a TS3-only thing as far I'm aware but the game will move sims out of town (a.k.a. deletion and culling) but there's still some data on the sims still left in the save and if my active family knew them, they'll still send out date calls every now and again. But accepting the date will just cause your sim to reset.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @JamesSims528: this is a TS3-only thing as far I'm aware but the game will move sims out of town (a.k.a. deletion and culling) but there's still some data on the sims still left in the save and if my active family knew them, they'll still send out date calls every now and again. But accepting the date will just cause your sim to reset.

Okay. I'm wondering if it's Slice of Life thing if it's TS3 only. Owen has never met this person before, so it's a bit weird, but then parts of the mod are. That message from a dead elder though... :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top