Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LEAKED! Early Gameplay of the Sims 4 + new information.

Comments

• Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited October 2015
    Krisha880 wrote: »
    Ayumap wrote: »
    Without proof the statement still just urks me. The gender did not need to be said. "Simmers" with laptops sure, but the gender specification just annoys me, I'll be honest. I've met my share of "male gamers" with horrible dekstops or trying to run games on laptops. Obviously I wouldn't assume most male gamers of "x" game have a laptop or old desktops.

I'll leave it at that though, not trying to derail the thread off the topic of the sims 4.

But this is a part of the problem with TS4, EA consider The Sims a casual game, and the biggest target for casual games are female players who probably don't have gaming PC's. TS4 is apparently intended for this group, and not Simmers who have been following the series for many years and expect more.

But it's already been said that this game is made for a gaming computer. So if they are aiming for "casual" gamers, of which gender does not matter to me, they are failing.

I agree with the statments that they should be pushing the specs anyway. This is a pc game, not a cellphone app.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I don't understand why EA/Maxis seems to be the only developer who continuously worries about specs being too high and holds back their graphics for that reason. Like others have said, why don't the developers of Witcher 3, GTA V, or Fallout 4 hold back their graphics?

Probably because they understand the PC gamer audience. We like having our systems pushed. I don't think Sims 4 is going after the pc gamer audience, though.

Because I think they are under the impression that if I *just* play the sims means I'm not a 'serious' gamer with 'serious' interest in the technology.

I chose just to play the sims. I grew up from a toddler on Atari, early PC games and constantly updated our tech as a family. I chose to only invest in the sims because it was the perfect concept for my taste. Not because I'm ignorant of gaming at large or what technology is available.

As far as I'm concerned the sims is not a casual game. It requires investment in decent technology to enjoy and I upgraded my computers around the sims. Because I wanted the best from the sims.

They shouldn't cater just to the lowest specs. They should offer side games for those who want a casual game for low end machines to allow them to be the best for all markets. Not just reduce the game to the bottom for all.

I agree with the bolded. I also agree with what you said earlier in the thread about EA not giving their Sim's players enough credit when it came to us figuring out how weak of a game TS4 is in comparison to other AAA titles and previous Sims versions.

It's crazy to me because anyone that has looked at a Sims anything in the past 15 years has seen "what is the best laptop to buy for the Sims????!!!!" or "what computer do I buy to run Sims smoothly????!!!!!" questions. Forums, twitter, review comment sections, everywhere - it's got to be the #1 most asked question throughout the entire Sims run - so why oh why are they under the impression that Sim's players aren't ready and willing to spend on hardware for their game. Do they really think that people who can't afford to spend $100 on a new video card are going to spend thousands of dollars on stuff packs, store sets, game packs, expansion packs, and the subscription fee idea they threw around for a little while? No. They won't.

Is Nathan Fielder behind this whole thing?

Oh and some of us only play the Sims (and maybe a few other games in between) because we have jobs or school or other obligations that kill our gaming time. That doesn't mean we're not "hardcore", it means we have to be selective in where we devote our "hardcore" time and don't have time to waste on garbage games that are only half-done and based on poorly designed concepts.

• Options
    Krisha880Krisha880 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Krisha880 wrote: »
    Without proof the statement still just urks me. The gender did not need to be said. "Simmers" with laptops sure, but the gender specification just annoys me, I'll be honest. I've met my share of "male gamers" with horrible dekstops or trying to run games on laptops. Obviously I wouldn't assume most male gamers of "x" game have a laptop or old desktops.

I'll leave it at that though, not trying to derail the thread off the topic of the sims 4.

But this is a part of the problem with TS4, EA consider The Sims a casual game, and the biggest target for casual games are female players who probably don't have gaming PC's. TS4 is apparently intended for this group, and not Simmers who have been following the series for many years and expect more.

But it's already been said that this game is made for a gaming computer. So if they are aiming for "casual" gamers, of which gender does not matter to me they are failing.

I agree with the statments that they should be oushing the speca anyway. This is a pc game not a cellphone app.

I agree!
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,044 Member
    edited October 2015
    The issue of graphics confuses me, because most AAA titles have dynamic graphics settings that appease both low end AND high end computers. Sims games can be compared to competitive games like Starcraft, where data and renders are continually is being updated - Starcraft can be run on pretty much any machine due to its optimizations.
    Sims games need to be dynamic and utilize every bit of new graphics technology. Imagine if Sims 2 was 64 bit and utilized the latest graphics technology where objects didn't have to be rendered piece by piece, but are instead instances of one already rendered object. It's a fantasy of mine.

With the fast changing and ever developing gaming technologies available, the sims dev team just comes off as incompetent - although I think it has more to do with the amount of resources that EA spends on the game. There are several variables to be considered - time and amount of people working on the game for instance. But other variables include being able to recruit talented people with the right knowledge and/or educate developers in the newest technologies. Developers having creative freedom so that they love their job and they can create something bigger and better. Having restraints and limits in development is counter productive in the highest sense. If Maxis cannot get the best people for the job because their work environment and work conditions are not the best, then ofcourse they can't do a better job than they are. It is so easy for corporations to fall into the trap of limiting resources in hopes for more profit. That's not how creative businesses work.

In making games, there has to be a variable present that surpass all others: Heart.

And Heart takes space, sometimes a little, sometimes alot, but space for it needs to be unconditional. No company is perfect, and no game is either, but if the game has Heart, then it trumps everything and the game becomes loved.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

Yes. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's yours. There is a huge group of people who left and the few who remain who think that this game should meet or exceed the standards of the previous games.

Yes, this happens. TS4 does many things better than previous iterations. You can not deny that =)

I really disagree with that. Some things have been enhanced, but all of it has been done before. There is nothing new in this game and the 80+ things that were left out or crippled negates those tiny enhancements.

Only one new thing I can think of. You can take take your household while in game into CAS ,create babies and bring them back into the game . This is a very cool feature especially for same sex couples who hook up in game can now have kids with their genetics in CAS.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,590 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    All I can say, is see, when I said the Sims 4 is a side game, it is based on its roots. It isn't meant as an insult, but the game's origin. But yes I wish they had not called the Sims 4, the Sims 4 but something else instead. But yep, it was originally going to be an online game which I heard about prior to joining forums. I just didn't see the concept pictures and videos until after I had joined forums though.

*sigh* I didn't know until after release when I'd already lost my money.
    Aww. :( Sorry to hear that. Yeah I did months and months of research on the Sims 4 before buying it. Sadly I didn't know about the babies being tied to objects until after I bought it. Oh well. But yes why I giggle whenever someone says only forums have people who don't like the Sims 4. Believe me, I saw intense dislike in many other sites as well especially on its first month.

You were smart to research, but then again I hope when people research they are taking in all sides (I am not saying you did not). There seems to be a huge influx of negative here and that can influence another person from buying the game, and they may have enjoyed it. I think that is what is wanted so that the game does not sell as well. IF there is a sims 5 I think it will be the online game that this was supposed to be. Again just my thought, then I would not be buying that, I hated that Showtime had it so that other Sims could come into your game. That should have been a hint as to what was to come. But we did not know that at the time. I got the game as a gift from a dear friend, so I just checked it out and noticed that it played and I could enjoy it without all the "fixing" of the messed up game that sims 3 was for me. (Now, please do not come after me for this, I am not saying that the sims 3 was no good for everyone, it was NO GOOD for me. ) It was a buggy messed up game for me. I felt the same negativity to the sims 3 that some of you feel to the sims 4.

Hi :)

I'm not understanding the highlighted part.

Do you think some people are posting negative things about the game so others see it and won't buy the game? If you think that I can only say, I don't care if someone does or doesn't buy the game. I only give my opinion on what I've done in the game and what I've read of bugs reported here.
    Then the same can be said for any positive comment on the game- they just want others to buy them game...

Which makes no sense. I WANT a NEW SIMS game. I have played and enjoyed something about each Sims iteration since I started playing in 2003. To think I or anyone who has been a Sims player for years, is saying anything negative just so people won't buy is insulting.

The Sims 4 is Not Good Right Now for ME. At This Moment in its life it is not up to my expectations and game satisfactions of any other Sims game.

If you felt the same for one iteration then please respect that my feelings of TS4 and don't make such generalizations.

Happy Simming.
  • Options
    mortia wrote: »
    mortia wrote: »
    I don't understand why EA/Maxis seems to be the only developer who continuously worries about specs being too high and holds back their graphics for that reason. Like others have said, why don't the developers of Witcher 3, GTA V, or Fallout 4 hold back their graphics?

Probably because they understand the PC gamer audience. We like having our systems pushed. I don't think Sims 4 is going after the pc gamer audience, though.

With statements to the effect of "the game would be too stressful for the vast majority of our player's specs" I have to agree. They seem to actually be building the game to suit these people who play on low end laptops and their Surface tablets, not the PC gamers who sink cash into their rigs regularly to ensure that they can play any new game that's thrown at them.

It's mind boggling. Games should always push forward, not stop to accomodate mediocre tech.

They are not accommodating low end laptops though. I posted this before in this thread
    @Ellessarr:

For one, physics based hair and clothing simulation is practically out of the question in a proper Sims' title. As many are aware 'The Sims' is still a casual brand, as such they tailor system requirements to meet the bare minimum target for players on lower-end hardware. The demo you've provided is simply unachievable for the audiences' hardware. Also, you aren't seeing truly dynamic hair in that demo you've provided. It's uses a bone structure and as such isn't as 'dynamic' as you think. It looks great, yes but it's not dynamic physics based hair.

They used Unity3D for a prototype, a technical demo to showcases assets running in-engine before creating an all new engine.

As for you point about them needing to target to 'mid-ranged' computers, that won't happen because it's not what the casual audience is after. You can legitimately see people struggle to run the game on their low-end machines or laptops raising the bar of admission would make the game lose an audience.

This is not true about the Sims 4 specs. The specs are for desktop not laptop and laptops are weaker than desktop. Minimum requirements are for base game only without patches, eps etc. The recommended requirements are to play the whole game eps, packs patches etc and are for mid range gaming desktop or higher . The specs for the sims 4 are the same as the sims 3 whole game only the games are programmed differently

RECOMMENDED SPECS

PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
    MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better

It might also depend on what your definition of a low end laptop is. For me, it's a machine costing around $500 USD, that runs day to day things and simple games well.

If you go and take a look at Newegg or an equivalent, you'll see that most laptops that fall in that price range are right around the specs you posted above.

Edit for weird spelling

A laptop that will play this game in its entire $1000 average. You need a higher end gaming laptop to equal that of a mid range gaming desktop. $500 will get you integrated graphics or low end dedicated card not suitable for gaming. Laptop you need a GTX 960m or higher with an i7 HQ or MQ quad on laptop

Im in the tech threads all the time
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    @Ellessarr:

For one, physics based hair and clothing simulation is practically out of the question in a proper Sims' title. As many are aware 'The Sims' is still a casual brand, as such they tailor system requirements to meet the bare minimum target for players on lower-end hardware. The demo you've provided is simply unachievable for the audiences' hardware. Also, you aren't seeing truly dynamic hair in that demo you've provided. It's uses a bone structure and as such isn't as 'dynamic' as you think. It looks great, yes but it's not dynamic physics based hair.

They used Unity3D for a prototype, a technical demo to showcases assets running in-engine before creating an all new engine.

As for you point about them needing to target to 'mid-ranged' computers, that won't happen because it's not what the casual audience is after. You can legitimately see people struggle to run the game on their low-end machines or laptops raising the bar of admission would make the game lose an audience.

that still better than none, or the "glued hairs" and "robotic body of the sims without any animation or physician, but that was to showcase which many games are doing it in the best way they can to provide a perfect hair they could need to work on each strand of hair this is another exemple
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36bQfylUfo

if the sims is a "casual brand" then why he have the same price of many high end games?????, why i must pay the same price of a witcher or assassins creed and others in sims 4 if him not was supposed to bea triple A game???.

Again Casual don't only " means low ending machines" casual players can have high ending machines i have some friends like that, they have middle to high ending machines to play games they just don't play much as me.

Casual is not about "have low or middle or high end machines" but just how much a person play the game, you can find a lot of casual which can like gamers want to play the best game possible not just some half made and high priced.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    @Ellessarr:

that still better than none, or the "glued hairs" and "robotic body of the sims without any animation or physician, but that was to showcase which many games are doing it in the best way they can to provide a perfect hair they could need to work on each strand of hair this is another exemple
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36bQfylUfo

if the sims is a "casual brand" then why he have the same price of many high end games?????, why i must pay the same price of a witcher or assassins creed and others in sims 4 if him not was supposed to bea triple A game???.

Again Casual don't only " means low ending machines" casual players can have high ending machines i have some friends like that, they have middle to high ending machines to play games they just don't play much as me.

Casual is not about "have low or middle or high end machines" but just how much a person play the game, you can find a lot of casual which can like gamers want to play the best game possible not just some half made and high priced.

FF15 looks so pretty. I hope the remake of 7 will be too.
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    As long as the game plays your way its perfect

No, not at all. It's still a very good game though :P.

I have GTA 5 and Witcher (for PS4) at home: GTA (played time on steam 20 hours), Witcher 3 (~14 I think, maybe less) - Sims 4 (500+).

It's even not important anymore if you consider it "unfinished" or "not AAA" since I feel the complete opposite. Let's agree to disagree here.
    IT is also FACT that when you issue an unfinished game it would not be classified as a AAA game.

Huh? What about an unfinished AAA game :o ? Those just don't exist in your perception, do they?

"In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced "triple A") is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion or the highest ratings by a consensus of professional reviewers.[1][2][3][4] A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game (very subjective) or to be among the year's bestsellers.[5][not in citation given] For a title to remain AAA post-launch, it must be either commercially or critically successful."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

I know that GameStar, a videogame magazine, has always been updating their ranking: http://www.gamestar.de/charts/

TS4 is still among the top three. You can call it being "among the year's bestsellers" for sure.

being rated only in one magazine or only one game store or few is not consensu this is "subjective" to your own desire.

interesting your post just afirm how sims 4 is not a triple A game, sims 4 don't have high budget, don't had high level of promotion
    cuz just in few places he is high ranked others he is middle to low and he don't have high quality game.

another note when link something do a proper link don't edit for yourself understood
    In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced "triple A") is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion or the highest ratings by a consensus of professional reviewers.[1][2][3][4] A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game or to be among the year's bestsellers.[5][not in citation given] For a title to remain AAA post-launch, it must be either commercially or critically successful.
    "therefore don't means subjective.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    You might be satisfied with paying the price for AAA game that were not given an AAA game but many of us are not. As far as I'm concerned for a game to be called a life simulation game it has to include all stages of life like previous sims games.

If this is your opinion/vision about the game, I am fine with that. However to me TS4 already feels like a AAA title. Also I really do not care for toddlers at all, so nope, toddlers are not necessarily an element I consider a "core" feature for "my" (!) life sim. I am sure many people will disagree. No problem.
    I think the game lacks more than just toddlers, there are more life stages that don't feel quite right. The baby reminds me of a doll (like in 3, granted, but at least you could take that doll anywhere), no toddlers, the kids are sweet enough so no complaint there, the teens however are a joke, the adults look like young adults and the elders look too young as well (and there's this unintended glitch that sometimes gives elders a young face in the game). Generations clearly aren't the focus of this version (the culling and the initial lack of a family tree and ghosts supports this) while it's been a very important ingredient for many players since Sims 2. I know Sims 1 didn't have toddlers and didn't focus on generations, but I think that game was so new and innovative, it's hard - if not impossible - to judge it the way we do Sims 2, 3 and 4. Everything was new and thrilling back then. Besides, the game was more focused around human behaviour I think than the other games are so it had that.

I think we may conclude they left out generational play in this one. But what did we get in return? Gameplay focused around emotions (which for me means the emotions don't have the meaning they should have: help me feel my sims), lineair gameplay (which you can avoid but then you're really on your own and for me that's no fun at all, I love to follow chances and assignments in Sims 3 because they're leading me through the game in a completely free manner and give me new ideas; I need that) and multitasking which apparently works for some people but it doesn't make the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I think it's ludicrous to call TS4 a AAA game. I get that it's fun for some people and they like it, but that does not mean that it's on par with other titles in this category. It's not even on par with the previous games in the series. Sure, there have been some improvements, some very nice improvements. But they've also removed half the game. If they didn't remove the parts you play with, then count yourself lucky.

And since it's pointless to go around in circles on the topic I think we should just agree to disagree and call it a day. :)
    Yeah, wow, this nails it!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Yes. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it's yours. There is a huge group of people who left and the few who remain who think that this game should meet or exceed the standards of the previous games.

Yes, this happens. TS4 does many things better than previous iterations. You can not deny that =)
    What in your opinion does Sims 4 do better?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

Because I think they are under the impression that if I *just* play the sims means I'm not a 'serious' gamer with 'serious' interest in the technology.

I chose just to play the sims. I grew up from a toddler on Atari, early PC games and constantly updated our tech as a family. I chose to only invest in the sims because it was the perfect concept for my taste. Not because I'm ignorant of gaming at large or what technology is available.

As far as I'm concerned the sims is not a casual game. It requires investment in decent technology to enjoy and I upgraded my computers around the sims. Because I wanted the best from the sims.

They shouldn't cater just to the lowest specs. They should offer side games for those who want a casual game for low end machines to allow them to be the best for all markets. Not just reduce the game to the bottom for all.

You know, that never occurred to me, that they would be targeting the segment of their audience that only play Sims rather than the PC gamer segment. I mean, if that part is large enough, it makes sense as you'd have far less competition and people would be snapping up everything you sold them if they liked the game. But the rub is, that segment has to be large enough to risk alienating your PC gamer audience who will move onto other games.

I know this is a given, but things are not always black and white. I do not consider myself a gamer and don't really play other games. I discovered The Sims while participating in an Internet discussion board, from comments from some people who played it. I tried it and loved it and have played ever since. I'm not really interested in other games, although I have tried a few, none of them draw me in like The Sims.

When I began playing TS3 I had an underpowered laptop that didn't run it well. I then bought another laptop (I was in grad school and traveled a lot for my job so I needed a mobile PC). It didn't take long for the game to give me problems on that, too. So I researched PCs and PC components and educated myself about them. Eventually I had a custom built desktop made for me.

All this just to be able to play TS3. I guess you could say I was one of those casual gamers that got serious about a game I loved. :)

My experience may not be typical, but I also know I'm not the only person who is "serious" enough about this game to upgrade my equipment if the game is awesome enough.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    edited October 2015
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

What in your opinion does Sims 4 do better?

I would like to know that too. The only thing I can think it does better on.....is the culling. It does cull much better than Sims 3 :lol:

@SweetieKaye long, loud applause.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member

Agree! Also the bolded part is why I ever upgraded or buy top computers from the start. I only play Sims on the PC and will upgrade, buy new, do whatever to get my experience because that was what drives me. This series left me uninspired and that surprises not only me but my friends and family.

I don't know how long Sims 4 will get EPs, or any other add-on but this game is giving the blues to some players already and it's not mod/CC related. Do people really think since the team reduced the intensity of the graphics and the objects have octagon edges will allow them to keep playing on toasters, or tablets as some have asked about in help sections around the community? I don't believe so. Sadly, we are left with this glop of piddling offer for a Sims game. It's embarrassing.

Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @blewis823 by starting with such a low starting point how on earth is this meant to satisfy gamers for a five year lifespan?! That's why I'm incredulous about it.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    @blewis823 by starting with such a low starting point how on earth is this meant to satisfy gamers for a five year lifespan?! That's why I'm incredulous about it.

With all the decor backgrounds, limited space to explore and see, no user made worlds, limited and pretending to do something without interactions, stingy with the real estate, are just a few issues I have with Sims 4 and I don't see how to expand this game into the next 5 years either. As I read this forum during Sims 4 induction, there are lots of people satisfied and happy with the list above. *shrugs*

Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I really can't see Sims 4 lasting until 2019. Maybe 2017.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,590 Member
    In my more hopeful moments, I think maybe they're not investing much money in this version because they're already at work on a real sequel.

But then I remember that they stuck Maxis under their casual mobile umbrella and all my hope dissipates in the wind. :'(

Hi :hugz: :mrgreen:

Yes- that's really depressing to me, too. :(

From hearing EA used a lot of the money from TS3 to fund another game not even in the same genre, Simulations, it was disappointing when I read how things are expensive for this game. :(

I want them to make the Best Game Efar! ... for everyone to enjoy.. :cookie:
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    I certainly hope Ts4 will not run the 5 year lifespan. ATM its a casual experience at best, fit for an hour or two play. I want family play back...the stuff that kept me playing for a good 4 hours+ every other day.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top