Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FIND YOUR-MANY-SELVES IN THE SIMS WITH BRETMAN ROCK

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The important difference is that four legged dragons are a violation of the known rules of biology, while Wyverns technically could physically exist within the known rules (see: pterosaurs)

I live with a bio major. One of her teachers apparently went off on a rant once...
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    The important difference is that four legged dragons are a violation of the known rules of biology, while Wyverns technically could physically exist within the known rules (see: pterosaurs)

I live with a bio major. One of her teachers apparently went off on a rant once...

Well, I for one demand that you get the entire rant transcribed here at once. That sounds super interesting.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Elliandre wrote: »
    @Mariefoxprice83 I love Fantasy books, what other dragon books do you like?

I didn’t even notice the GOT dragons don’t have front legs lol. I would like any dragons on the Sim game to be like you said have 4 legs so they can walk. I never finished the show, still reading the books, but I heard about the ending hah.

Lately I’ve been thinking of adding fantasy book characters to my game so I guess it’s on my mind.

One of my Sim Selves is always a fantasy author.

I believe 2 legged dragons are technically wyverns, dragons must have 4 legs.

This has been my dragon post of the week.

Ha yeah, I've been in the ASOIAF/GOT fandom for a long time. Funnily, enough there are wyverns as a separate species in GRRM's world, which has been named Planetos by fans. I know there are said to be wyverns in the southern continent, Sothoryos, but it's one of the lesser-known areas of the setting.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

I didn’t even notice the GOT dragons don’t have front legs lol. I would like any dragons on the Sim game to be like you said have 4 legs so they can walk. I never finished the show, still reading the books, but I heard about the ending hah.

Lately I’ve been thinking of adding fantasy book characters to my game so I guess it’s on my mind.

I believe 2 legged dragons are technically wyverns, dragons must have 4 legs.

This has been my dragon post of the week.

:joy: I have been enlightened, thank you!

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. :)

You need a podcast! :smiley:

• Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Haha, Welcome to obscure metal bands, oddly specific dragon facts and coffee talk with EA_Cade!

Doesn't really roll off the tongue :#
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options

There's the Temeraire novels by Naomi Novik, which are more alternate history than true fantasy. The series is set during the Napoleonic era with the addition of dragon air forces in the European countries, and each country has their own native dragon breeds. There's small dragons used as couriers, large dragons who carry the aviators who fight from dragonback, and then there's the stars of the aerial combat, the fire-breathers and acid-spitters. As the novels take in more of the world, there's some fun world building to show how dragons integrate integrate into various societies.

Another series I really love is the Memoirs of Lady Trent series by Marie Brennan, which is followed up by a novel about the main character's descendant. The world has an early Victorian feel for me. It's an alternate universe with some locations that are clearly inspired by real world countries and cultures. The main character is a woman living in a patriarchal society. She wants to study dragons, but women aren't allowed to go to university or have adventures so she has to find ways to challenge the system whilst working within it. There's a bit of Indiana Jones in the story, I'd say, and the dragons are varied. There are lots of nods to real world history such as the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb, and the Rosetta Stone.
  • Options
    Haha, Welcome to obscure metal bands, oddly specific dragon facts and coffee talk with EA_Cade!

You can shorten it to "Metal Bands, Dragons & Coffee Talk" and then have it added to the Sims radio in the next delivery :joy: That way I can listen while I play my game.

• Options
    edited December 2021

I don't know much about metal bands but I'm down for the rest. Having said that, I was listening to an Alestorm Christmas song last night. I blame one of my ex-colleagues, he played one of their songs in the office a few years ago and it ended up on my Youtube playlist!
    Post edited by Mariefoxprice83 on
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Dragons playing in a metal band... whilst drinking mocha lattes.... Now that's a gamepack I'd pay full price for! :D
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited December 2021

Call the podcast “RAAAAAAWWWW BEANS!!.”
    That’s Metal bands, Dragon facts and Coffee for ya. Obscure style. 😁

Or just call it “ROASTED”.
  • Options

There's the Temeraire novels by Naomi Novik, which are more alternate history than true fantasy. The series is set during the Napoleonic era with the addition of dragon air forces in the European countries, and each country has their own native dragon breeds. There's small dragons used as couriers, large dragons who carry the aviators who fight from dragonback, and then there's the stars of the aerial combat, the fire-breathers and acid-spitters. As the novels take in more of the world, there's some fun world building to show how dragons integrate integrate into various societies.

Another series I really love is the Memoirs of Lady Trent series by Marie Brennan, which is followed up by a novel about the main character's descendant. The world has an early Victorian feel for me. It's an alternate universe with some locations that are clearly inspired by real world countries and cultures. The main character is a woman living in a patriarchal society. She wants to study dragons, but women aren't allowed to go to university or have adventures so she has to find ways to challenge the system whilst working within it. There's a bit of Indiana Jones in the story, I'd say, and the dragons are varied. There are lots of nods to real world history such as the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb, and the Rosetta Stone.

These sound great I will give them a read, thank you! :smiley:
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Yay! One person agrees with an Author. :smiley:

I now have a vision for a future marketing campaign. Famous Author George RR Martin. "Play with your Pet Dragons!". He can make Game of Thrones Dragons and Sims from the books and himself as a Bookworm Author Sim. Won't that be a great campaign to bring in more players once they add pet Dragons? Who cares if Martin doesn't even use Instagram. Game of Thrones generated 2.2 billion dollars in profit. Maxis, bring us George RR Martin with the Dragons.
    Why hasn't EA hired you for their PR campaigns yet?

I see you guys have been talking about dragons while I was gone. Do you feel the rush of power when you talk about them? That's Torch's love, guiding you.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Gordy wrote: »

I now have a vision for a future marketing campaign. Famous Author George RR Martin. "Play with your Pet Dragons!". He can make Game of Thrones Dragons and Sims from the books and himself as a Bookworm Author Sim. Won't that be a great campaign to bring in more players once they add pet Dragons? Who cares if Martin doesn't even use Instagram. Game of Thrones generated 2.2 billion dollars in profit. Maxis, bring us George RR Martin with the Dragons.
    Why hasn't EA hired you for their PR campaigns yet?

I see you guys have been talking about dragons while I was gone. Do you feel the rush of power when you talk about them? That's Torch's love, guiding you.

I don't know Torch personally, so in my case maybe it's the power of the dovakiin, or maybe it's my Welsh ancestry.
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    @Elliandre May I humbly suggest the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey? They're older, but still amazing. And there are a LOT of them. Twenty something at this point, I believe. I wandered away from the series a while ago, but the earlier books are so good. I can't speak for the newer ones, but I think the series is still ongoing, after 50-odd years.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member

Nor should it. It should fly off the tongue, man. :sunglasses:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    That might make an interesting storyline. Create a household with two unrelated sims. The Diva and the lowly assistant. Give the diva appropriate traits and put her in the actor career. Have the assistant tend to all her needs, cleaning, dusting, laundry, cooking, errands, making coffee and drinks, etc. And taking care of the spoiled lap dog.

That sounds like a fun story. >:):#
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I don't particularly think the game needs a celebrity to endorse it but if it does, an author could be a good choice.

As long as they have 18 million followers like Bretman and fit the target demographic.

Oh wow Bretman Rock is very famous! It's crazy how social media stars are more famous than actors or musicians now.

I'm not saying they shouldn't use celebrities at all anymore, just have a little more variety in future. I like the idea of playing with Sim selves. This marketing campaign doesn't target me, obviously, since I never heard of Bretman, but I want more players like me recruited to the game. Who wouldn't want more of me? I am an awesome customer. I have bought everything except a few Kits and I genuinely love this game. They should look for more ME's, not Selves of celebrities who probably don't play the game. I'm not sure if Bretman's high fashion conscious followers will be kept happy, with our random Townie fashion and the MAC cosmetics being what it is, lately our jackets don't even zip all the way, it's like all the zippers are broken. Is that a fashion trend?

Maxis should have consulted Bretman on the Modern Man fashion kit. Look how gorgeous his one piece outfits are. I would have bought the kit for these outfits:

Maybe I'm old fashioned or something, but he looks like Prince in drag.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options

@FatTribble23 Thank you for the suggestion, I will look for those :smiley:
  • Options
    Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Well, if they're throwing beauty influencers into the mix, I can only hope that they'll "influence" TS4 team to make a beauty salon/add in shopping centres into the mix too. It would make sense rather than this "Sim self" and people have been asking for it for a while, along with other stuff.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Looking at the EA news item on the Sims splash page, I see it was advertised with Sim-selves showing up all at the same place at the same time. When I make my Sim-self, it is never in the same save. There is only one me, regardless of what conceptual universe I might be watching.
    Rule One of time travel and hyperspace travel in sci-fi: Avoid meeting yourself and identifying yourself to yourself AT ALL COSTS. It does bad things to the timeline and the fabric of space-time.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

The two little stuffed dragons in my avatar photo would beg to differ with your assertion, and they would also love to have their very own simselves for when their person plays "the people game".
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited December 2021
    #SimsSelves
    DSBHD4f.png
    Sadly, there are limited dragon items and accessories. So I had to become a furry and buy a 3,000 simoleon fursuit.

165ft3J.png
    Also, I had to attack sims who didn't approve of Torch. I have a zero tolerance policy for nonbelievers.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member

Coffee Talk and metal? you have my ears pricked up!

The idea of self-discovery through Sims resonates, personally. There are a lot of people out there, not all just teens or young adults, who backdoored into realizations about themselves, by playing Sims and being free to be anyone. A lot of people (this is not from the forum but from reddits and in other spaces) discovered things about themselves that they might not have, particularly when social pressure is high, and opportunities to experiment in real life, barely exist.

There is almost nowhere in real life that affords the risk-free freedom to dress however you want, kiss whomever you want, pursue the life you want, that Sims does. It's a great thought experiment and makes a great tool for exploration of who you'd be if you could try on any persona.

And it also has no limits, so you don't have to choose just one way to be and stick with it. In real life, people are often discredited for changing. As if to be valid, you have to stay the same way you were 10 years ago, and any new developments are either a phase, or something done for attention, or a shallow response to a fad. The argument of "but you weren't that way back when I knew you!" has been used so many times to cry foul and cast shade on someone when they come out as something those who knew them back when, didn't supsect or see, or else did suspect but didn't approve of.

Personally I have a great deal of hope in the general opening of awareness that immersive life simulators offer. What would people do, if they were free to express themselves and could better imagine the life they want instead of the life they defaulted into?
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    omg it wasn't a dirty word, about the ears. it was a past-tense verb. That form isn't even used as a dirty slang word!
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Seconding this series! It's so, so good. Remarkably clever.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.