Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FIND YOUR-MANY-SELVES IN THE SIMS WITH BRETMAN ROCK

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Never heard of Breatman before, and this campaign is aimed at his followers that will hopefully find themselves in TS4.
    I think car drivers and mechanics need proper representation in TS4. Surfers too. Definitely not enough representation for them either. Especially with some really nice beaches being closed to swimming and all that. How can one find their surfer or racing self if there are no surf boards and cars? 😊

True. But that’s all for the materialistic simself.
    In terms of genetics, my breathtakingly gorgeous Simself can simply not exist in Sims 4 Vanilla Edition.
    Unless I were to organize a manscape Spa day with all my lady friends. They’d have a hoot and I’d be in pain.
    But after that I can at least hop into the game without feeling left out.

Hi Captain Mattel, how’s it goin’?
    I’m Fine, cheers. Now, give me 5 versions of myself wearing a skirt.

Maybe that's why they choose Breatman, he manscapes willingly and likes to dress up. If I may suggest some fun YouTube influencers, I like Safiya Nygaard, I quite enjoyed her wedding video, and her Morticia inspired wedding dress. Also enjoyed her road trip video with her cat and husband. Hopefully she could find herself in the sims too.

Not sure if that was meant as a joke, but I like it. 😅
    I’d be the last person to watch wedding videos made by ….anyone really. Morticia inspired dresses or not.
    And I appreciate Safiya being an influencer ‘n all, but I can’t imagine her changing my mind and make me wear a wedding dress anytime soon. I’m sure I’d look wonderful in it.
    As for road trips, I’m the kinda guy who watches “Walking the Himalayas with Levison Wood” or just…goes on a road trip. And plays the Sims now and then. ☺️
    The only thing I regularly watch on You Tube is boring software tutorials.
    Or X-Factor Golden Buzzer moments for some suspicious, unknown reason.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I'm too old for this. Don't think I ever was young enough for it.

"To hear cheeky messages..." Hey, if it can help someone...

I'll just be way over there, playing my sandbox Sim game, pure fantasy as it is.

The funny thing is, I am on my way to getting old (as in I'm over the hill, but still in denial).
    So I can actually create my toddler self, a couple child selves (because there aren't enough traits to describe me in one "simself" child), and a lot of young adult female selves (pondering what being a man would be like was never anything I was interested in myself, though I suppose it is common.) I guess you could say it is like watching and playing an alternate reality...what if I had made different life choices, career choices, housing choices, maybe even developed different skills than I have now. What if I HAD become an author like I wanted to in 3rd grade? What if I became a nurse, a teacher, or a pianist? If you are into action comic book TV shows and movies, you are probably aware of the Multiverse concept. Same idea here.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Also I am confused because I always see ppl saying they want sims 4 to be more mature but I've seen ppl upset about the spa day refresh trailer singing about twerking and then now I've seen people upset or put off that bretman swears in his videos.
    . I feel like those people don't want swears and raunchiness, but more adult themes. Less Family Guy and more Frasier, if you get me. Completely different kinds of mature

How about Frasier with dragons? Actually, if that was a game or a TV show I'd be glued to it.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    Monet11 wrote: »
    If anyone downloads him and gives him a makeover I hope they share it here! 😚

Now he will fit in with the rest of us old geezers on the forum. :D

51721956507_5ac78317e2_c.jpg

Just one word, @Monet11 - Wonderful. :smiley:
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Can we please have stuff for the 99% of society?

What do you mean by that, specifically?

How about instead of focusing on Simselves so much we get an attraction system. Does it make sense these Sims like anyone at any time? Does it make sense these Sims can flip on a dime and like male or female or other at any time? Many of us don't need to find our many simselves we already know who we are, deep roots and don't even ever play Simselves. The Sims is not me, never has been, never will be. How about focusing on gameplay that makes sense to those of us who don't need to find ourselves.

Does it make sense that a baby Sim is tied to a baby crib? Seriously. Is that life? Where are the strollers and the ability to carry around a baby instead of standing over a crib all day? Where are the dirty jobs in this game? I mean not everyone wants or needs to be a gamer and or their career tied to a pc. How about some regular jobs for Sims. You know, not IT, Youtube, Influencer type careers. How about listening and reading your feedback and ideas here instead of on twitter.

Ignoring the fact that you derailed this thread into a content wishlist, just because you don't see something implemented doesn't mean it wasn't sent up. Change to existing content takes time, creating brand new content takes even more time.
    Many of us don't need to find our many simselves we already know who we are, deep roots and don't even ever play Simselves.
    Statements like these don't work, there are millions of Simmers out there that do play with Simselves and you're completely dismissing them.

I will remind you EA Cade you asked to be specific of what was meant by the rest of the population comment by another Simmer. I understood very well what that Simmer meant. Gameplay. Period. I think you were not happy with the answer. It was not a wish list but you did ask to be specific. As again EA/Maxis is rolling out content for a demographic Maxis seems to do this very often while ignoring gameplay. Dress up isn't gameplay. I'm afraid you just didn't like the answer. There's an old rule, never asked a question if you don't know or aren't prepared for the answer. Maybe don't ask anymore to be specific or you will get the answers you didn't want. Because it was you that ask to be specific. Nevermind my 'wish lists' since you aren't a developer, I thought we were speaking with a developer.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    edited December 2021

How about instead of focusing on Simselves so much we get an attraction system. Does it make sense these Sims like anyone at any time? Does it make sense these Sims can flip on a dime and like male or female or other at any time? Many of us don't need to find our many simselves we already know who we are, deep roots and don't even ever play Simselves. The Sims is not me, never has been, never will be. How about focusing on gameplay that makes sense to those of us who don't need to find ourselves.

Does it make sense that a baby Sim is tied to a baby crib? Seriously. Is that life? Where are the strollers and the ability to carry around a baby instead of standing over a crib all day? Where are the dirty jobs in this game? I mean not everyone wants or needs to be a gamer and or their career tied to a pc. How about some regular jobs for Sims. You know, not IT, Youtube, Influencer type careers. How about listening and reading your feedback and ideas here instead of on twitter.

Ignoring the fact that you derailed this thread into a content wishlist, just because you don't see something implemented doesn't mean it wasn't sent up. Change to existing content takes time, creating brand new content takes even more time.
    Many of us don't need to find our many simselves we already know who we are, deep roots and don't even ever play Simselves.
    Statements like these don't work, there are millions of Simmers out there that do play with Simselves and you're completely dismissing them.

I will remind you EA Cade you asked to be specific of what was meant by the rest of the population comment by another Simmer. I understood very well what that Simmer meant. Gameplay. Period. I think you were not happy with the answer. It was not a wish list but you did ask to be specific. As again EA/Maxis is rolling out content for a demographic Maxis seems to do this very often while ignoring gameplay. Dress up isn't gameplay. I'm afraid you just didn't like the answer. There's an old rule, never asked a question if you don't know or aren't prepared for the answer. Maybe don't ask anymore to be specific or you will get the answers you didn't want. Because it was you that ask to be specific. Nevermind my 'wish lists' since you aren't a developer, I thought we were speaking with a developer.

To be nitpicky: that question wasn't addressed at you. You aren't the person who EA Cade asked that question to and while you may have an idea of what that simmer meant you cannot be certain unless they stated that previously (or your both one person using two accounts; if you want to split hairs).

Because my interpretation/take on user dearie_blossom's was not necessarily referring gameplay and way too vague to determine. I have a rough IDEA based on some other attitudes/comments in the thread and my own feeling of "this isn't for me" on the marketing ad. But I can't know for sure what exactly they mean (without their official explanation) without potentially projecting my own feelings onto their statement. Which, to be completely honest, I think you did.

Now let me be clear: I agree with a lot of what you said and understand your sentiments/frustrations very well (Im a gameplay-focused player myself) but the truth is that wasn't what was being discussed in that comment chain. If you wanted to state your own commentary separately that's fine/your decision. But there is a time and place and you did kind of derail the topic a bit (not completely but a little).

But you can't say "don't ask questions you don't want answers to" when the question wasn't even addressed to you in the first place. You can give your opinion on what they likely meant (and you could very well be right) voluntarily but you can't speak on authority definitively what someone else's incredibly vague statement meant. No one can.

Edited: Grammar tweaking and some textual clarification. (When I said OP initially I meant the original person's comment in the quote chain; not the person who made the topic. But changed it in case that could cause confusion.)
    Post edited by BlueR0se on
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @Babykittyjade I originally posted this in the Modern Menswear picture thread.

Bretman striking a pose before checking out the Rattlesnake Juice Bar.
    HGhZLPh.png

Whoa!! Nice!!!!👏👏👏👏👏
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    Lmbo @ your version of bretman 😂😂😂😂
    @Monet11
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    It's funny to me that people decide to complain about some silly fun campaign. The marketing team isn't going to be the one to work on improved babies or cars so no resources are going to waste. Chill.
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 367 Member
    Have no idea before reading the thread who this Bretman Rock
    But did have a Simself of myself that I started a save file with that ended up having over 30+ generations with since I first started playing Sims 4 and did create a simself in the first 3 games of sims
    Am I wanting this no but do understand that there are simmers who do
    All I can say is hope that the next game pack expansion pack is gonna have what I want instead of what others want or family members
    There are a lot of simmers out here in different age categories, want different themes, things fixed but we don't know for sure if that will happen escpecially with the pandemic all we can do is pray that next year is our year and be happy for those simmers who are getting their wishes filled this year with the packs, kits
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Have no idea before reading the thread who this Bretman Rock
    But did have a Simself of myself that I started a save file with that ended up having over 30+ generations with since I first started playing Sims 4 and did create a simself in the first 3 games of sims
    Am I wanting this no but do understand that there are simmers who do
    All I can say is hope that the next game pack expansion pack is gonna have what I want instead of what others want or family members
    There are a lot of simmers out here in different age categories, want different themes, things fixed but we don't know for sure if that will happen escpecially with the pandemic all we can do is pray that next year is our year and be happy for those simmers who are getting their wishes filled this year with the packs, kits

This Bretman Rock seems to be...an interesting person. To me, he kinda seems like Izzy Fabulous. BTW, Izzy Fabulous would also be great on SimTube. YouTube and SimTubes are perfect forums for interesting people. I'm not sure, but was that makeup he was wearing? Then again, maybe today's makeup for men is what yesterdays tattoos were for women, or yesterdays male ear piercings. Not that its that new: goth makeup for guys goes back to the early 80s. Reminds me of the old cartoon by Family Circle with people standing in line showing how they shocked the previous generation...from greaser to bohemian, to hippy, to punk, and this was when he was saying "do I hafta?" And I found myself wondering if the next generation would look goth or gangsta. Turns out the next generation was goth, and the generation after that was gangsta. Go figure. Wonder what the kids in the 2030's will look like.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    Monet11 wrote: »
    @logion true. Unless one is just being hateful for no reason every opinion and feedback has value in it😌

@FatTribble23
    I personally don't think it was hostile. A lot of times it's hard to get what you want to say across on the internet without sounding bad. Because everyone reads and translates things differently. I always try to be careful of my wording because I mean no one any displeasure with my words. But sometimes it can be hard yo tell.

I think it's really nice of EA Cade to engage with us a little! We've been wanting more engagement on the forms for a long time. I'm sure just like all of us here he has his own thoughts and opinions on things too which could differ from ours. And I like that he shares some of his game play pictures!!

And please keep sharing your opinions Tribble. That's why we are all here 🙂

But anyway let me not derail any farther as this is about Bretman! If anyone downloads him and gives him a makeover I hope they share it here! 😚

Now he will fit in with the rest of us old geezers on the forum. :D

51721956507_5ac78317e2_c.jpg

OMG. I just saw this. I think I’ve seen this person driving a golf cart in the retirement village.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    BlueR0se wrote: »

To be nitpicky: that question wasn't addressed at you. You aren't the person who EA Cade asked that question to and while you may have an idea of what that simmer meant you cannot be certain unless they stated that previously (or your both one person using two accounts; if you want to split hairs).

Because my interpretation/take on user dearie_blossom's was not necessarily referring gameplay and way too vague to determine. I have a rough IDEA based on some other attitudes/comments in the thread and my own feeling of "this isn't for me" on the marketing ad. But I can't know for sure what exactly they mean (without their official explanation) without potentially projecting my own feelings onto their statement. Which, to be completely honest, I think you did.

Now let me be clear: I agree with a lot of what you said and understand your sentiments/frustrations very well (Im a gameplay-focused player myself) but the truth is that wasn't what was being discussed in that comment chain. If you wanted to state your own commentary separately that's fine/your decision. But there is a time and place and you did kind of derail the topic a bit (not completely but a little).

But you can't say "don't ask questions you don't want answers to" when the question wasn't even addressed to you in the first place. You can give your opinion on what they likely meant (and you could very well be right) voluntarily but you can't speak on authority definitively what someone else's incredibly vague statement meant. No one can.

Edited: Grammar tweaking and some textual clarification. (When I said OP initially I meant the original person's comment in the quote chain; not the person who made the topic. But changed it in case that could cause confusion.)

Concerning the question wasn't intended for me or anyone other than the person questioned. This is an open forum, I was under the impression this is an open forum (I am reminded of that often) where anyone can answer no matter if the person is not the person who received a question. It's been the practice here a thousand times. I see I was wrong. I won't chime in on any questions not intended to be to me specifically anymore, if I can help it, perhaps others will not, either. I have often wanted and mentioned a flag for those who derail threads, however, I didn't see it as derailing as this is an open forum and the question was posed. Concerning 'dismissing' players who like to play Simself, I saw many who feel the same as I do in this thread. We are sort of tired of the simself focus and wish for gameplay. I'm surprised I was singled out since so many expressed those feelings as well.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    So I guess the new and future generation players of the sims are the one who they are targeting with (how can I say this nicely)
    A different mind set than usual. It's ok to be different but when they keep pushing a certain agenda one must stop and question the reason. The Sims is a GAME!
    We know that society is after the mind and souls of our youth. Please be careful with all this A I technology.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    beville wrote: »
    So I guess the new and future generation players of the sims are the one who they are targeting with (how can I say this nicely)
    A different mind set than usual. It's ok to be different but when they keep pushing a certain agenda one must stop and question the reason. The Sims is a GAME!
    We know that society is after the mind and souls of our youth. Please be careful with all this A I technology.

Would that agenda be inclusivity?
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited December 2021
    We are all part of group. It's called the Sims Community and the sims themselves doesn't know the difference between any race or gender. That is what makes the game special.
    Post edited by beville on
    @Luthecia25 👏👏👏👏
    You make so many good points. I think it's because people take it so personal. To each person the sims feel like "their own" game in their own world. Maybe even feel possessive lol.
    But I totally agree with you.

Also I think simmers fear that marketing to younger players mean "more childish gameplay"
    Sims 4 is a bit childish but not because it's marketed to young people. I believe times are just different,people are a lot more sensitive and easily triggered. So I think the Devs are just being careful. Look how players cried to nerf the hates children trait.... so what mature stuff can they actually add?☠🤔
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    We have had actors, musicians and now social media influencers support the game, but they don't really interest me so much. How about choosing someone who is famous for something different next time? Maybe an environmental activist, an athlete, an inventor, someone who won an interesting international award, an entrepreneur, a painter, a sculptor, a chef, an author. I hope the next marketing campaign chooses a celebrity who can add something more meaningful to my game and feature new objects or gameplay.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    edited December 2021
    BlueR0se wrote: »

Concerning the question wasn't intended for me or anyone other than the person questioned. This is an open forum, I was under the impression this is an open forum (I am reminded of that often) where anyone can answer no matter if the person is not the person who received a question. It's been the practice here a thousand times. I see I was wrong. I won't chime in on any questions not intended to be to me specifically anymore, if I can help it, perhaps others will not, either. I have often wanted and mentioned a flag for those who derail threads, however, I didn't see it as derailing as this is an open forum and the question was posed. Concerning 'dismissing' players who like to play Simself, I saw many who feel the same as I do in this thread. We are sort of tired of the simself focus and wish for gameplay. I'm surprised I was singled out since so many expressed those feelings as well.

Yes, it is a open forum to which you are free to respond whenever/however you like. I do think it might be a little presumptuous to assume someone else's comment's meaning but people do that all the time, myself included. If I came across harshly, it's cause I saw the whole "don't ask questions you don't want answers to" as rude especially given the context. But that's just me.

But after further re-reading the thread, I get the idea you are confused as to why EA Cade responded so strongly and only to you. I can't speak on their behalf but I can give my thoughts/observations.

EA Cade was asking for further clarification on (in my opinion) rude and vague comment. The original commenter did not reply, but you did. You listed things the game doesnt have and should have (and to focus on that vs simself). And while none of what you said is WRONG and the game is missing a lot of stuff; it's not really fitting to discuss in a marketing/social media campaign thread.

Marketing can't add those things in; that's a development department issue. We already have gameplay videos to know about gameplay. New gameplay comes from a separate team and that takes time. Stuff may be in development or planned to be that they haven't revealed because it's too soon to reveal and they may or may not have policy rules on that.

luthienrising makes a fantastic point that marketing really isn't for us (the players): it's for people who don't know about the game or just aren't actively playing. We aren't the audience. Focusing on simself players (or players who wish to play as themselves) is a valid marketing strategy and a lot of players DO role play with themselves/people they know/etc.

The simself marketing strat is sound marketing cause it puts people (who haven't played the game) into the game. Like that is the whole advertisement idea. "Find yourself or your many selves." It's about exploration and escapism - which we all do whether or not we use simselves or not. This is just more blunt and upfront about it because the objective is literally to put the product in people's minds/hands and get people to buy it.

Not to mention, the CAS and BB content is Sims 4's strongest features and it makes sense to market off of that.

So, even if it wasn't your intention: I can see how EA Cade saw your comment mostly as a wishlist and they aren't wrong about the playstyle aspect. Some people put themselves into the game and live the lives they cant or wish they could; while some just play for gameplay/stories/set houses on fire. Focusing on simself play is advantageous to marketing so it makes sense they focus on that.

As far as to why you were singled out; well...you were the only one that replied to EA Cade directly (at least in regards to the clarification request to someone else, as far as I could see). Lol

This isn't gameplay content because that isn't the point and a separate department (likely?) puts that out. This is an advertisement camlaign via social media using Bretman Rock and encouraging simmer's involvement (for free advertising). You don't have to like it; but marketing really can't help a development issue. And simself is a playstyle that many do play. It may not be how you, I, or many others play but they do exist and are arguably the easiest demographic to appeal to.

If you want to give commentary on how to appeal/advertise to non-simself players (gameplay videos or something); that's perfectly fine and would serve as valuable feedback. But whoever does advertisement campaigns can't give gameplay that is needed in the game atm.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Okay, I wasn't really onboard with this to start with (influencers, ugh! amirite?), but I've just had a brainwave of a extended story idea that Bretman Rock will be perfect for as a member of my Sims family. You want an influencer in the game? Great, let's play with some potential real world consequences of social media & influencers!
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

Is there just the one new premade Sim? I was hoping there would have been a household with all the different Bretmans in it like in the campaign video, with the cowboy, goth, chef, astronaut Bretmans :smiley: I mean I guess I could make it myself but it's not the same. Maybe I will make clones of him for all his different selves ...
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Who is this person?

I feel the same way every time McDonald's brings out some new meal with a celebrity I've never heard of endorsing it. Maybe I'll ask my brother. His kids are 13 and 11, I'm sure he can't escape Zoomer culture if he tries.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    If I spam enough dragon sims on the hashtag, do you think the Sims team will take notice and be forced to acknowledge it?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited December 2021
    Gordy wrote: »
    If I spam enough dragon sims on the hashtag, do you think the Sims team will take notice and be forced to acknowledge it?

probably not.