Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New EP7 listing (TS4: Island Living) & description, releasing on June 21!

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2019
    Well, I also think the name Island Living is really weird. It doesn't have the same ring as City Living. I do wish they would add some creativity to the packs names but that's honestly the least of my worries.

I do not like what the tittle/summary implies, that this will be a regular world and not a vacation world. I certainly hope they came up with a feature where sims can go on vacations on regular worlds too, otherwise this will be a waste for me because I couldn't care less about my sims living on an island. If hotels aren't a thing, I will instantly be disappointed.

Also, I wouldn't expect things like swimming in oceans if I were you, not like TS3 at least. The best I can see this pack offering is one or two beach areas where it has an ocean and sims can go swim on them, other than that, don't expect that to be a feature, especially on worlds already created. I personally won't mind it since I never really understood the need of swimming on any body of water you can find, lol. As long as we get actual beaches with waves, sunbathing, beach activities, etc.

@bythedreadwolf Your take is very unique. I see most players say they dont want it to be just be a vacation world, but somewhere like Sunlit Tides in sims 3. And I must say I agree with them. But of course, you can dislike that if you want o:)

Personally, I want both. I hope it's a vacation destination that you can also buy a home in to stay permanently. Like the way we could purchase a second home in The Sims 3. I loved that feature so much.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Well, I also think the name Island Living is really weird. It doesn't have the same ring as City Living. I do wish they would add some creativity to the packs names but that's honestly the least of my worries.

I do not like what the tittle/summary implies, that this will be a regular world and not a vacation world. I certainly hope they came up with a feature where sims can go on vacations on regular worlds too, otherwise this will be a waste for me because I couldn't care less about my sims living on an island. If hotels aren't a thing, I will instantly be disappointed.

Also, I wouldn't expect things like swimming in oceans if I were you, not like TS3 at least. The best I can see this pack offering is one or two beach areas where it has an ocean and sims can go swim on them, other than that, don't expect that to be a feature, especially on worlds already created. I personally won't mind it since I never really understood the need of swimming on any body of water you can find, lol. As long as we get actual beaches with waves, sunbathing, beach activities, etc.

@bythedreadwolf Your take is very unique. I see most players say they dont want it to be just be a vacation world, but somewhere like Sunlit Tides in sims 3. And I must say I agree with them. But of course, you can dislike that if you want o:)

The problem is that we currently don't have a way to go on vacations on regular worlds, so if this EP doesn't give us a method to do that, then you will only be able to live there. Having a tropical island world and not be able to go on a vacation there is quite a waste, no?

If this world dont have hotels that was a missed opportunity. Isla Paradiso in TS3 had them and it wasn't a destination world.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member

The problem is that we currently don't have a way to go on vacations on regular worlds, so if this EP doesn't give us a method to do that, then you will only be able to live there. Having a tropical island world and not be able to go on a vacation there is quite a waste, no?

If this world dont have hotels that was a missed opportunity. Isla Paradiso in TS3 had them and it wasn't a destination world.

being able to open a hotel in any world would be a great expansion for the sims 4. especially that large lot in del sol valley which isn't really suitable for a house. place down a hotel pretend its an apartment lol. i really hope they add in hotels and mermaids, island paradise was literally the reason i almost went with sims 3 instead of 4 so i really hope they bring both back so i don't have to wait any longer than i have to get what i originally wanted
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I could really care less what it's called. Just looking forward to what it has and what it will bring to the game. Super psyched for it whenever it comes and can't wait for EA Play...
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    Kitty NapKitty Nap Posts: 11 New Member
    Wow. the name makes the pack sound so mundane. they should've stuck with tropical/island paradise! i just hope its good.
  • Options
    Kitty Nap wrote: »
    Wow. the name makes the pack sound so mundane. they should've stuck with tropical/island paradise! i just hope its good.

The name is still changing. It isnt island living anymore.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    With the ammount of simulation power needed to run an island like area and knowing the level of the EPs, and the "professionals" behind sims 4, this thing is gonna come out with two lots, 2D ocean just for shows, and the actual swimmable area will be a low-res pool lol. - Miss Tea
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    Well at least the genuine description mentioned sands cuz if it didnt:
    tenor.gif
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Wow they took “City Living” and replaced “City” with “Island”. That’s about as creative as using the “Get” naming convention 3 times. Are they that burnt out over there? A unique pack title is one of the easiest things they could possible generate there, and they instead rip off the title of another expansion. Sad

Island Paradise, Tropical Paradise etc. nearly any name they come up with for a Tropical pack would have either been point blank obvious and recycled or not clear enough.

It’s like how The Sims 2 & 3 often just chucked “life” before or after what was coming.

Nightlife made sense. But Apartment Life? University Life? Town Life? etc.

I also agree that “Get” titles are annoying but “Get Together” makes sense (like Nightlife)
    On The Job would have been better for GTW etc

I’m not here to say they’ve never done it before, but I am saying they do it all the time with Sims 4 packs and it shows just how creative they aren’t. This is only expansion number 7 and it’s naming convention is once again a rehash. 3 of the 7 use the Get [X] convention, and 2 of them use the [X] living convention. That’s 5 out of 7 packs that have rehashed names and the only two remaining packs have the most generic titles possible (C&D, Seasons). It’s representative of the studio, never thinking outside the box anytime ever to think of something new even when it’s easy.

It’s not my job to think of a pack title for them, but I can think of something a lot more original than Island Living. I guess I should just be happy they didn’t rehash Get once again, but we all know they aren’t done with that one either.

A huge issue with a lot of the earlier Sims 3 packs for example is not being descriptive enough.

I remember when they announced the best selling PC games for 2010, Late Night did much better than Ambitions. And when Ambitions leaked, we had no idea what it was even supposed to mean.

The name sounds good, but it doesn’t tell anyone “This is a pack where you’ll be able to go to work with your Sims”

Whereas Get To Work sells the pack instantly.

Even “Late Night” didn’t really sell the pack, which was “celebrities in the city” everyone assumes it’s a dating pack like Nightlife, which it isn’t.

A developer leaked some UI that had the name “The Sims 4: Polynesia” which is a way of saying “Islands and water” which is a really nice title but for most people they would have no idea.

The Sims 4 naming system seems to be working though because the packs are selling close or over 1 million first week.

I think they’re purposely dumbing them down so they can sell packs with the name as a huge selling factor.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Wow they took “City Living” and replaced “City” with “Island”. That’s about as creative as using the “Get” naming convention 3 times. Are they that burnt out over there? A unique pack title is one of the easiest things they could possible generate there, and they instead rip off the title of another expansion. Sad

Island Paradise, Tropical Paradise etc. nearly any name they come up with for a Tropical pack would have either been point blank obvious and recycled or not clear enough.

It’s like how The Sims 2 & 3 often just chucked “life” before or after what was coming.

I also agree that “Get” titles are annoying but “Get Together” makes sense (like Nightlife)

I’m not here to say they’ve never done it before, but I am saying they do it all the time with Sims 4 packs and it shows just how creative they aren’t. This is only expansion number 7 and it’s naming convention is once again a rehash. 3 of the 7 use the Get [X] convention, and 2 of them use the [X] living convention. That’s 5 out of 7 packs that have rehashed names and the only two remaining packs have the most generic titles possible (C&D, Seasons). It’s representative of the studio, never thinking outside the box anytime ever to think of something new even when it’s easy.

It’s not my job to think of a pack title for them, but I can think of something a lot more original than Island Living. I guess I should just be happy they didn’t rehash Get once again, but we all know they aren’t done with that one either.

A huge issue with a lot of the earlier Sims 3 packs for example is not being descriptive enough.

I remember when they announced the best selling PC games for 2010, Late Night did much better than Ambitions. And when Ambitions leaked, we had no idea what it was even supposed to mean.

The name sounds good, but it doesn’t tell anyone “This is a pack where you’ll be able to go to work with your Sims”

Even “Late Night” didn’t really sell the pack, which was “celebrities in the city” everyone assumes it’s a dating pack like Nightlife, which it isn’t.

A developer leaked some UI that had the name “The Sims 4: Polynesia” which is a way of saying “Islands and water” which is a really nice title but for most people they would have no idea.

The Sims 4 naming system seems to be working though because the packs are selling close or over 1 million first week.

I think they’re purposely dumbing them down so they can sell packs with the name as a huge selling factor.

What a weird way to both respond and abruptly change the subject at once. Don’t know what sales have to do with anything, and frankly the only packs they’ve said have sold that well are cats and dogs and seasons. Don’t deflect with lies. I said they chose a bad name, and that bad name is just a rehash of other bad names they have chosen for this same game. It’s the title for crying out loud not a summary of the pack. People don’t buy the dang pack because of the name. Still, it’s a lazy rehashed title IMO
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Well, isn't this interesting? Hmmm, I wonder if my plans for June are about to change for the better. Not a peep out of EA or the gurus on the validity of this? Very odd behavior for a company that likes to cloak everything in secrecy. Maybe we're finally wearing them down. :p

I wouldn't rely on the description of the content at this point, though. That we won't know until EA Play. Unless EA decides to give us a little teaser tomorrow or Friday, of course. But they won't do that because what better way to build hype for EA Play than to keep a few secrets, I guess.

The sand part sounds good. Why build a tropical paradise and leave out one of the main features? No mention about ocean swimming. That's something we have been wanting for over four years so that won't be revealed before the live stream. Hotels/resorts? Lounge chairs? New collectibles and skills? A new career? Activities? What we do know right now is there is an EP to be announced, and we have a pretty good idea what the theme is. And we have June 21st or 28th as possible release dates. Now that is something I can get a little excited about. One of the main things I'd like to see in this pack is the ability for our Sims to own a second home. If Sims can own a home and a business, I don't see why owning two homes can't be done.

I don't expect this EP to be like the one in Sims3. That was a massive pack, jammed full of content. I have my expectations set fairly low as to how much new content to expect in this newest EP. But even knowing that, I am sure I will enjoy what it has to offer.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    If this is a home world I'm looking foward to learning more about the new townies that are coming with this world.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

What a weird way to both respond and abruptly change the subject at once. Don’t know what sales have to do with anything, and frankly the only packs they’ve said have sold that well are cats and dogs and seasons. Don’t deflect with lies. I said they chose a bad name, and that bad name is just a rehash of other bad names they have chosen for this same game. It’s the title for crying out loud not a summary of the pack. People don’t buy the dang pack because of the name. Still, it’s a lazy rehashed title IMO

My argument doesn’t change the subject you introduced, and is completely relevant.

“People don’t buy a pack because of a name”

Sorry? :|
    What? Naming has so much to do with everything. It’s literally the #1 thing on how content is marketed.

If the Sims 4 was named “The Sims: Weirder Stories” it would have sold way less than being called “The Sims 4”.
    The casual audience would assume it’s not the 4th game to the main game, and assume it’s a stand-alone game like Medieval.

I’m not reflecting with “lies”, I said

“It must be working because they packs are selling close or over 1 million”

I didn’t specify which, but we have an example of a pack with a dumbed down name, that sold over 1 million. So don’t be quick with the whole “you’re a liar” tactic. Time and time again, I back myself if you ask.

Cats & Dogs is a lot more straight forward than “Pets” and yet sold over a million copies first week. It’s obvious the name grabbed audiences for being super straightforward.

“Pets” while a good title, may not answer enough questions “what Pets can we own?”
    Depending on what platform you play, the Pets change too. Leaving questions unanswered can cause a disinterest in the passive buyer.

Most people own a Cat or Dog. Seeing that word makes it instantly more relatable.

You keep saying you can come up with a better name, but yet haven’t given an example.

Could you give an example that still retains the exact amount of context and specifics, while being more creative?

I’m just curious as I can’t think of any titles that are as straight to the point, while not being a rehash of “Tropical _____” or “Island _____”

Anything else I come up with isn’t as specific.
  • Options
    MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    So what’s gonna be so special about this pack? Are we getting Mermaids or nah?
  • Options
    So what’s gonna be so special about this pack? Are we getting Mermaids or nah?

I hope so.
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    It seems pretty much confirmed at this point. I like the theme of this pack, but I really hope there are at least some beach activities sims can do on the beaches of Windenburg island and Brindleton Bay, like building sand castles, sun tanning, playing beach volley... I will be disappointed if sims can only swim in the ocean of the new world, and not in all of the bodies of water in the game, but if there are at least other activities they can do in the other worlds it could be fine. I am really worried all of the new activities are going to be restricted to the new world, as with City Living, Outdoor Reatreat, Strangerville, etc. I really hate this. I want new content that I can use in a lot of different saves, and in different worlds, please...
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I think that being a EP it will have a new dinamic that will work in all worlds. At least I hope so. I don't believe it will only be beach activities and swimming. There has to be more.
  • Options
    telmarina wrote: »
    I think that being a EP it will have a new dinamic that will work in all worlds. At least I hope so. I don't believe it will only be beach activities and swimming. There has to be more.

Probably more pool items
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019

My argument doesn’t change the subject you introduced, and is completely relevant.

“People don’t buy a pack because of a name”

Sorry? :|
    What? Naming has so much to do with everything. It’s literally the #1 thing on how content is marketed.

If the Sims 4 was named “The Sims: Weirder Stories” it would have sold way less than being called “The Sims 4”.
    The casual audience would assume it’s not the 4th game to the main game, and assume it’s a stand-alone game like Medieval.

I’m not reflecting with “lies”, I said

“It must be working because they packs are selling close or over 1 million”

I didn’t specify which, but we have an example of a pack with a dumbed down name, that sold over 1 million. So don’t be quick with the whole “you’re a liar” tactic. Time and time again, I back myself if you ask.

Cats & Dogs is a lot more straight forward than “Pets” and yet sold over a million copies first week. It’s obvious the name grabbed audiences for being super straightforward.

“Pets” while a good title, may not answer enough questions “what Pets can we own?”
    Depending on what platform you play, the Pets change too. Leaving questions unanswered can cause a disinterest in the passive buyer.

Most people own a Cat or Dog. Seeing that word makes it instantly more relatable.

You keep saying you can come up with a better name, but yet haven’t given an example.

Could you give an example that still retains the exact amount of context and specifics, while being more creative?

I’m just curious as I can’t think of any titles that are as straight to the point, while not being a rehash of “Tropical _____” or “Island _____”

Anything else I come up with isn’t as specific.

"Unleashed" was a good one word title for a previous version (all pets too) (UK).

This sort of leaking could be a variation of the Strangerville strange font!

How about they just give it the Island name?
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I wonder what the island will be called and based off of. I hope its similar to the carribbean islands
  • Options
    mika wrote: »
    I wonder what the island will be called and based off of. I hope its similar to the carribbean islands

Yeah you know we got that Caribbean Update last Summer.
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Sonia016 wrote: »
    They're so careful with the description, nothing says about ocean swimming or water sports and games.

The only thing is, if there's no ocean swimming, then why bother making it an expansion pack? Just a new tropical themed world in and of itself is not enough to make something an expansion pack rather than a game pack.
  • Options
    liliaeth wrote: »
    They're so careful with the description, nothing says about ocean swimming or water sports and games.

The only thing is, if there's no ocean swimming, then why bother making it an expansion pack? Just a new tropical themed world in and of itself is not enough to make something an expansion pack rather than a game pack.

Even with ocean swimming I find it very incomplete.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member

How so? Do you know something we don't? :)
  • Options
    edited June 2019

How so? Do you know something we don't? :)

of course not. I'm replying to the usual speculation about beach activities and swimming that me and you and everyone read everyday in the forums. Meaning, beach activities and ocean swimming seems too incomplete to me for an EP.