Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Try Something New With The Sims 5?

I want to know if people are ready to see the Sims with a new twist, or if they are content with the modern theme.

If/when they do get around to creating a Sims 5, which of the following themes would get you most excited?

Try Something New With The Sims 5? 150 votes

Modern Day - Takes place in today's world like the last three Sim games
66%
BluegayleCK213OneAdorkableGirlcatmom1987icmnfrshrudy8292alexspoom13alan650111IceyJaprilroseWedPlayerSinger2010StormkeepVibseIsb917CynnaJprp83drake_mccartymock68goodcakebaker62 100 votes
In Space - futuristically themed. Each expansion could be based on a new planet
4%
TiarellaIObelleBagoas77Moon_WillowJennyggAncientciv 6 votes
Medieval - European focused, but could include other regions too. Expansions for pirates, magic, etc
12%
quilterkptaydevRamblineRoseCeCeDotAmaraRenaannaliese39LittlBowBubgnelso1239Ichooserocknoteye32Louise_G0325SimsècretcomicsforlifeRae357Evie0602DBClaytonJasonschick80RememberJoy 18 votes
Fantasy - Start off with a magical world. Base expansions on popular fictional worlds
12%
Writin_RegDJQ1308Vuloritherplady1DrewRowlandEmmaVane3KNPenInternal_ChaosSaga-MinxLiELFRoyalTeacupKotoriousRedShoe7TiaDogCharKittyBooSihuItsJanierLoftyyredmushroom 19 votes
Other - I'd love to hear your ideas for a new base game and its expansions
4%
aelias24JestTruApparentlyAwesomemarcel21AlbaWaterhouseking_of_simcity7digitaltrashcan 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    Medieval - European focused, but could include other regions too. Expansions for pirates, magic, etc
    To be honest I love the In space, Medieval and Fantasy options. I'd just generally like to see something new instead of another modern day sims, it's at the point where technology is everything so I'd like it to be different from real life. I think 4 reincarnations is enough for now :joy: they should try something new and then revisit the traditional modern life later on, then they can start back at just The Sims. I think sims 4 can carry on for a while with the modern take which opens up possibilities of new unexplored territory for the sims :smile:
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    There are just so many other games I'd go to first if I were looking for a fantastical, sci-fi, or historical experience.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited December 2018
    I absolutely love the magic and fantasy in The Sims, but I like that its in a modern setting. I would never object to EPs dedicated to that though. You really can't find any other game like this for fantasy characters.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The base game needs a modern setting, but EP's could add new ones.
    A turn back time, EP, that allows you to travel to different stages of the past in all the worlds?
    A mission to mars EP that gives you a whole new world to explore, but to return to the base game world takes months of travel.
    The base game needs to be universal, for all players, not just the ones who have specific interests. If the base game was fantasy, or space, or history, it would turn a lot of people off the game, but the people who want those other things would still play a base game with a modern setting.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I love the other ideas, but I can't give up the modern world setting. It feels like a core part of The Sims's identity. After all, the main idea is to simulate everyday life. I know EA is an American company, but I would like it if it were less America-centric though. Other countries are often exoticized and treated as a holiday destination and never a home world for our sims. Plus sims always follow American customs and traditions. It would be nice if we had a game with a complex culture and sociology system that governs the behavior and personality of sims per country, and we could customize the customs. Maybe the customs could evolve or morph naturally. Maybe sims from a certain country could prefer certain foods and are more soft-spoken in public. Stuff like that.

I'd love to have the other themes as expansions or spinoffs. I was thinking we could also have an Atlantis-themed underwater world, but this would need its own rules since everyone is underwater, for example. Then again, the other themes have complex rules too (no cellphones and vehicles in medieval, different gravity per planet in space, etc.)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    I feel like those settings would be better for a spin off... That being said. I would like a fantasy spin off. :)
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I love the modern/contemporary setting. I like the realistic and relatable feel of it, but I also like that it would allow for urban fantasy/paranormal romance and contemporary fantasy stories. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    My vote is modern day but you should be able to make the game what ever you want. In past games you could set up your worlds to be what ever you wanted and Sims from other towns would not show up everywhere to mess that up not to mention you did not have backdrops forcing a style in each world.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    The base game should remain modern day, imo. But I wouldn't mind historically themed expansions.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I say other, let us chose any age to play in?

I would chose modern day but now and then I might like to play in ancient Egypt or perhaps maybe go back to the age of discovery and send Sims to colonise an undiscovered continent and then marry some of the locals.

Those would be cool ideas for an expansion pack though.

A 19th century themed EP would be awesome as well. Send your Sims to work in the mines and if there is not enough money in the family send your kids up the chimneys as a chimney sweep. If it gets cold you mine coal which then gets transported by a coal powered train to a coal yard where one of your Sims delivers it by horse to every house.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I want the base game to be modern day, but would like all those other options as expansion packs.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I like modern day but I would like to see time travelling game packs introduced and maybe time traveller could be added to the scientist career choice.
    The sims could make a time travelling device a travel back in time or further into the future to collect things and have adventures or solve puzzles.
    The sims could go back or forward in time to save the sims world from enviromental and other types of things that will happen and get rewards for their successes.
    They could even travel to different parts of the world to help save them therefore introducing snow type worlds, Egyptian, Oriental, European and Australian worlds into the sims game.
    It would also bring in a lot of money for the good people who bring us our favourite game.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Well, it looks like the modern vote has it.

It does seems a good amount of people would like to see these things in the game in one way or another.

Maybe Sims 5: Time Travel?

Ha! Anyways, thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts, it was fun to read them.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Why not all of them? My personal dream for The Sims is to be able to start up the base game and have basic and advanced options that range from choosing the world and season to start in to being able to set the populations, personally created sims' skills and friends, and more. I like having a variety of options to play with.

Why be stuck in just one type of setting or world when you could be on a technologically subpar alien planet? Or live under the sea in a medieval type society? Or a space colony hovering above some random planet? I'd be more excited for the possibility of being able to have sims living in almost any type of setting whether it's created by the devs or by other players, not just modern day settings for everything.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Modern Day. The other settings could easily be pack additions.
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    I like how The Sims has always been. Starting with modern day and then adding those other types with expansion packs. Expansion packs and game packs could add the "twist" part to the game and add other settings to the game. I love magic and I will always buy an expansion pack and/or game pack that adds those features to the game. :) I enjoy both realistic game-play and fantasy game-play.
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I would love a full sims game set in the medieval period where I could play families and not be stuck doing quests like in the Sims Medieval.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited December 2018
    I want a timeless game. I don't like for example in TS4 the fact that every sim owns a cellphone and that it's not optional, I don't like there are no newspapers or landline phones. I want technologie in the game and modern clothing but I'd like better a bit of an ambiguous theme. Not that focused on modern day social media or selfies like TS4 is turning out to be but also not specific from any era. A bit like a bubble where you are not really sure if it's 1953 or 2021.

Another really cool theme would be a retro-futuristic design. A bit like the universe in the Netflix show Maniac. Super advanced technology but with 80s and 90s aesthetics.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Just the basics.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Just the basics.

Yes. Provide the basics and, as the consumers, provide us the tools to do the rest.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    conorshannon123conorshannon123 Posts: 3 New Member
    Have it where I can have a 50s sim world or an future sim world
  • Options
    redmushroomredmushroom Posts: 9 New Member
    Fantasy - Start off with a magical world. Base expansions on popular fictional worlds
    I would'nt mind another Modern Day Sims game,but maybe a Fantasy Pack would be intresting to play with in Sims 5
  • Options
    CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    I honestly think fantasy would be a good idea because that can feed into a lot of different players interests. We can get more realistic worlds that resemble a Lord of The Rings universe or Marvel universe and we could get worlds resembling an apocalyptic, fairy, or alien universe to appeal to players who really like occults. If I could have the option for "normal life" gameplay without overwhelming fantastical occurrences happening around my sims during my gameplay (for example: I would not like to see autonomous vampire duels everywhere in the background while I'm taking my dog on a walk or alien volcanoes erupting tiny virus robots across the street randomly) I would be fine with a fantasy-oriented game. If they had toggle on and off for different occults and had a good variety of really nice looking worlds that were realistic in appearance I wouldn't mind at all having fairies in fairy worlds or witches or whatever. If it doesn't interfere with my "everyday" style gameplay, my storytelling, or my screenshots, I'm fine. I may sound very picky about this but I think that I can be because I resemble more of the average player-base that the Sims 4 tends to advertise to.
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • Options
    digitaltrashcandigitaltrashcan Posts: 30 Member
    i just want a post-apocalyptic sims game lmao

but realistically tho they should probably stick to modern day/normal sims. i think the reason most people like the sims is because of the everyday realism, that's kinda what the sims is about. the wilder stuff is good for expansion packs but i think the main game should remain as it is, just with improvements
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    No more medieval or future packs :#
    I found both poor.

I would love a remake of the sims 2 ps2 castaways more, or somethings new.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon