Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing the Free Trial. Am I missing something? :(

Comments

• Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    SimChic1 wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I put my simself in a house. Got bored. I put two sims I remade from TS3 in a house. Still bored. I gave one a career. Bored. I let them chat and mingle at the community lots. Bored!

My question is do the sims have anything else to do other than sit in the house, go to the 5 or so community lots, and disappear into invisible rabbit holes for a career? I was lead to believe that they were more to careers with the promo pics, but I guess they were staged?

Even the emotions are all over the place and a lot like moodlets to me. I actually think the emotions are kind of confusing.

And no I'm not trying to be funny or rude. I'm being deadly serious, because I really see nothing new or different. How is TS4 an improvement or any different from what we have right now?

P.S. No I haven't tried babies yet. That's next on the list. I don't think it'll make much of a difference tho since they're objects. :\

Have you thrown a social event? You can do that with the phone. There are a variety of options. Have you tried to get your sim to fall in love and start a family? The children stage is very cute and entertaining. There are also 14 different skill objects such as the piano, woodworking bench, and the computer has a TON of stuff to do as there is both a video gaming and programming skill. I find that this game is not lacking any activities. I barely have scratched the surface of stuff and I have already put hundreds of hours into the game. :)

Actually, in your hundreds of hours, I think you've explored it all. I've played much too much as well, and you listed about what I found as well.

Ummm I get so transfixed on the sim to sims interactions and growing my generations that I haven't explored everything but I'm excited to get to it all. I feel that so many people are barely trying to explore everything with this game and it has me perplexed. I guess they are so appalled by the "missing features" that they don't see the "many present features"!!!

I agree. People will only read what they want to read, I guess because my posts with 20+ examples went unanswered. This game has pretty much been founded on skill building, so if you simply can't be bothered to play with most of the features, I don't see how you can complain. :p

Excuse me @brookesaywhatx you know we get on but I dont like when you say this-'cant be bothered' because its blaming your fellow simmer for not enjoying the game because those things dont interest them. The same as I would never force you to play my way-I expect the same courtesy back :)

I am not forcing anything on anybody. But I do not like when people sit here saying things like "I did everything in the game already and I'm bored" and I give a bunch of examples and my post basically gets ignored by more people saying the same thing. Its fine if they don't like it, but don't bash it when most of them said they haven't tried the most basic functions of the game (skill building, families, etc)
    Skill building-Yes, that's important but TS4 takes it to an RPG level. EA, can you please drop back down to life simulator?

Families-Your babies are glued to a crib, nothing but objects. Family picture? Better stay in the nursery to make sure the baby is included. No toddlers. And teens are essentially now adults more than ever from what I've read. On the topic of families, let's talk about the family trees. They're none. Hey story tellers, legacy, or just plain old family players, guess you can't take pics of your trees anymore, huh? :disappointed:

Back on families, what's the point if it doesn't recognize great grandparents, stepparents, great aunts and uncles and so on so forth.

I can agree with the RPG thing, to a point. I'm not a big fan of the achievements/quests and usually ignore them. I do like just playing my families.

I would rather have crib babies than no babies (or a bassinet like the sims 1 where you couldn't even see it! LOL) - I would much rather have sims 2 babies with hair and clothes as much as the next person. But for now I am fine with the babies, especially since they get aged up in a day or two anyways.

The game recognizes those relationships. My sim lives with his aunt and grandfather.

I would also like family trees and toddlers. Not bashing anyone for that.
    I think crib babies instead of no babies is good too. But it is still disappointing to see that in a game made in 2014, y'know?

I know it recognizes those relationships but was told before that it won't recognize great aunts/uncles and great grandparents, not that it wouldn't recognize aunts/uncles and grandparents ;)

I know, trust me. (imo) the sims 2 was the best game of the series. They have gameplay that they couldn't even add in 4, 8 years later. Its upsetting.

Sorry, I guess I misread your post. I will have to open the game and see if it recognizes those or not.
    Yeah, I wish I could take the family part from TS2 and, for me at least, the open world, CASt, color wheel, Nraas SP, and merge them together.

Please do let me know if it does or does not :)

Me too. The only reason I can't play ts2 is because the graphics (well, the sims) are just so ugly. I can't go back from 4's great graphics (in my game) to that lol. I'm going to install some cc though and try it again because I really do love it.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    lyra wrote: »
    I am not forcing anything on anybody. But I do not like when people sit here saying things like "I did everything in the game already and I'm bored" and I give a bunch of examples and my post basically gets ignored by more people saying the same thing. Its fine if they don't like it, but don't bash it when most of them said they haven't tried the most basic functions of the game (skill building, families, etc)

Even if they haven't tried all the functions, it is well within their rights to "bash it" or express their opinion on the game. I enjoy reading opinions from those who have played for many hours and from those who got a slight first impression. I would appreciate you not trying to shut others down.

Lol. I am not trying to shut anybody down. I'm simply saying don't knock it if you haven't tried it. :)

The thing is though, it is entirely possible to know you're not going to like a game without even trying it.

There are certain game genres I'm just not a fan of:- real time strategy games or those RPG games with the grids for example. Those games could have the best storylines ever written, have some amazing characters and have a really fun combat system but at the end of the day it's still a strategy game and nothing is going to change that. For that reason I'm just not going to bother playing it because right from the get go I know that game has been designed to play in a manner I just don't like.

It's the same thing here really. For some people what TS4 offers simply isn't their cup of tea and I think the majority of people here are intelligent enough to be able to make that decision for themselves rather than based off what they're reading here or anywhere else. In that sense I'd say the smarter thing to do is to not bother wasting the time or the money on it.

Do you go on forums of those games and complain about things you haven't done in the game yet?

No but I think you're missing the point because those games have never catered to me, I've dabbled in them and decided they're not my thing so I've moved on - those games were always like that and I've never liked them, that doesn't warrent going on a forum complaining about them.

However to use another example; I'm a huge Uncharted fan and if Naughty Dog suddenly turned what was an action-adventure game into a strategy-based RPG then yes, I'd be very upset and yes I'd probably be commenting on the forums about it because I'd be witnessing a franchise I have loved and enjoyed for years transform into something I absolutely hate.

Even as someone who loves TS4 I cannot deny that the way the game is now is not the way the game has always been.

I can agree with that, and like I said in an above post, its upsetting. I also get what you mean about a franchise you've loved. It just doesn't seem fair to me that people come on here complaining about how much family play and stuff sucks when they haven't even tried it yet. How can you even complain? Because someone else doesn't like it? I'm really not trying to flame anyone but come on thats like me going into OR forum and saying how much I don't like it when I haven't even played it yet.

Another thing that bugs me is when posters hit "lol" on my post where I say I love the game. It is obvious that SOME of the naysayers get too much enjoyment on dissing the game and those who enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Even if they haven't tried all the functions, it is well within their rights to "bash it" or express their opinion on the game. I enjoy reading opinions from those who have played for many hours and from those who got a slight first impression. I would appreciate you not trying to shut others down.

Lol. I am not trying to shut anybody down. I'm simply saying don't knock it if you haven't tried it. :)

The thing is though, it is entirely possible to know you're not going to like a game without even trying it.

There are certain game genres I'm just not a fan of:- real time strategy games or those RPG games with the grids for example. Those games could have the best storylines ever written, have some amazing characters and have a really fun combat system but at the end of the day it's still a strategy game and nothing is going to change that. For that reason I'm just not going to bother playing it because right from the get go I know that game has been designed to play in a manner I just don't like.

It's the same thing here really. For some people what TS4 offers simply isn't their cup of tea and I think the majority of people here are intelligent enough to be able to make that decision for themselves rather than based off what they're reading here or anywhere else. In that sense I'd say the smarter thing to do is to not bother wasting the time or the money on it.

Do you go on forums of those games and complain about things you haven't done in the game yet?

No but I think you're missing the point because those games have never catered to me, I've dabbled in them and decided they're not my thing so I've moved on - those games were always like that and I've never liked them, that doesn't warrent going on a forum complaining about them.

However to use another example; I'm a huge Uncharted fan and if Naughty Dog suddenly turned what was an action-adventure game into a strategy-based RPG then yes, I'd be very upset and yes I'd probably be commenting on the forums about it because I'd be witnessing a franchise I have loved and enjoyed for years transform into something I absolutely hate.

Even as someone who loves TS4 I cannot deny that the way the game is now is not the way the game has always been.

I can agree with that, and like I said in an above post, its upsetting. I also get what you mean about a franchise you've loved. It just doesn't seem fair to me that people come on here complaining about how much family play and stuff sucks when they haven't even tried it yet. How can you even complain? Because someone else doesn't like it? I'm really not trying to flame anyone but come on thats like me going into OR forum and saying how much I don't like it when I haven't even played it yet.

Another thing that bugs me is when posters hit "lol" on my post where I say I love the game. It is obvious that SOME of the naysayers get too much enjoyment on dissing the game and those who enjoy it.

Yep, I seem to have people following me around the forums because lately almost every single one of my "positive sims 4" and my serious posts have lols. I would prefer they actually say something to me instead of clicking the button anonymously, but it seems like most wouldn't :) Sometimes its obvious who's doing it.

WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

OR...maybe they actually thought you were joking? Simply saying "zomg! best game evah!" without explaining exactly what it is that enthralls you can be thought of as a gag post.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member

I do see what you're saying but at this point I do think it is fair to pass judgement. At this point we know what we're getting when it comes to the game and some important things related to family play such as the family trees, extended family relationships and the teenagers are in need of a lot of work or heck, even a complete overhaul.

It always used to wind me up when it was said if people weren't enjoying TS3 it was because they simply lacked imagination and I feel the same applies here, you don't really need to do everything to know you don't like what you're doing and forcing yourself to keep on playing something just in the hopes that it'll improve after a certain point is a bad trap to fall into IMO.
  • Options
    MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Every one of us has the right to make our own guidelines about how we feel about the game: What we find interesting, what we don't. What we want to try, what we don't. What we believe is key to an enjoyable game, what we don't. What we are willing to pay, what we aren't. How many hours we are willing to put into playing the game before making a decision, whether we decide that we aren't willing to play the game at all because there are features that we feel are essential to enjoying the game that are not a part of the current series and whether we want to try all aspects of the game before making a final decision about the game. What elements we wish were added to the game, what elements we don't want, what elements we feel neutral about. What we see as the ideal game, what we don't. What we want to express (within the forum rules) on this forum about what we feel or what we wish for and what we don't want to express. What threads we want to read and be a part of, what threads we don't want to read and be a part of.

All of it is our personal choice to make and as long as we are within the forum rules everyone has the right to write about their feelings regarding this game-whether it's disappointment or enjoyment or anything in between.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

@alan650111 and @brookesaywhatx I've had the same. Just ignore it-trying to decipher intent behind those buttons is impossible so why bother trying? I'd rather merrily do my own thing and not think about other people's actions. If they are rude and break the rules report them. If not don't let them hurt you. It's not worth your time :)
  • Options

@alan650111 and @brookesaywhatx I've had the same. Just ignore it-trying to decipher intent behind those buttons is impossible so why bother trying? I'd rather merrily do my own thing and not think about other people's actions. If they are rude and break the rules report them. If not don't let them hurt you. It's not worth your time :)

Ohh it doesn't hurt me and I don't get emotional about it. Lol. It just is annoying more than anything.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

Me too. The only reason I can't play ts2 is because the graphics (well, the sims) are just so ugly. I can't go back from 4's great graphics (in my game) to that lol. I'm going to install some cc though and try it again because I really do love it.

With some good cc Sims2 is actually far better (IMHO) than the play-doh people of Sims4. Even without cc I find the S2 sims more expressive and 'real' than S4.

When my first S4 sim died I was "meh, he died, so what'. It was an 'object', nothing more.
    When S2 sims die, it feels like a little person dies. If that makes any sense.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    ColorMePinkColorMePink Posts: 5,810 Member
    If EA had game gave up an actual 48 hours or a gurateed 10 hours at least, I would of tried the things mentioned.

But I feel like a game should be fun from the start and not something that should grow on you IMO.
  • Options
    @sparkfairy1 I agree. At this point I've stopped caring about whether the "lol" was given to me out of sarcasm / mockery or not. At the end of the day the people who do this are only wasting their own time and they're still giving me imaginary internet points that seem to matter oh so much so eh. Let them do it :D
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited January 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I put my simself in a house. Got bored. I put two sims I remade from TS3 in a house. Still bored. I gave one a career. Bored. I let them chat and mingle at the community lots. Bored!

My question is do the sims have anything else to do other than sit in the house, go to the 5 or so community lots, and disappear into invisible rabbit holes for a career? I was lead to believe that they were more to careers with the promo pics, but I guess they were staged?

Even the emotions are all over the place and a lot like moodlets to me. I actually think the emotions are kind of confusing.

And no I'm not trying to be funny or rude. I'm being deadly serious, because I really see nothing new or different. How is TS4 an improvement or any different from what we have right now?

P.S. No I haven't tried babies yet. That's next on the list. I don't think it'll make much of a difference tho since they're objects. :\

Have you thrown a social event? You can do that with the phone. There are a variety of options. Have you tried to get your sim to fall in love and start a family? The children stage is very cute and entertaining. There are also 14 different skill objects such as the piano, woodworking bench, and the computer has a TON of stuff to do as there is both a video gaming and programming skill. I find that this game is not lacking any activities. I barely have scratched the surface of stuff and I have already put hundreds of hours into the game. :)

Actually, in your hundreds of hours, I think you've explored it all. I've played much too much as well, and you listed about what I found as well.

Ummm I get so transfixed on the sim to sims interactions and growing my generations that I haven't explored everything but I'm excited to get to it all. I feel that so many people are barely trying to explore everything with this game and it has me perplexed. I guess they are so appalled by the "missing features" that they don't see the "many present features"!!!

I agree. People will only read what they want to read, I guess because my posts with 20+ examples went unanswered. This game has pretty much been founded on skill building, so if you simply can't be bothered to play with most of the features, I don't see how you can complain. :p

Excuse me @brookesaywhatx you know we get on but I dont like when you say this-'cant be bothered' because its blaming your fellow simmer for not enjoying the game because those things dont interest them. The same as I would never force you to play my way-I expect the same courtesy back :)

Skill building-Yes, that's important but TS4 takes it to an RPG level. EA, can you please drop back down to life simulator?

Families-Your babies are glued to a crib, nothing but objects. Family picture? Better stay in the nursery to make sure the baby is included. No toddlers. And teens are essentially now adults more than ever from what I've read. On the topic of families, let's talk about the family trees. They're none. Hey story tellers, legacy, or just plain old family players, guess you can't take pics of your trees anymore, huh? :disappointed:

Back on families, what's the point if it doesn't recognize great grandparents, stepparents, great aunts and uncles and so on so forth.

I can agree with the RPG thing, to a point. I'm not a big fan of the achievements/quests and usually ignore them. I do like just playing my families.

I would rather have crib babies than no babies (or a bassinet like the sims 1 where you couldn't even see it! LOL) - I would much rather have sims 2 babies with hair and clothes as much as the next person. But for now I am fine with the babies, especially since they get aged up in a day or two anyways.

The game recognizes those relationships. My sim lives with his aunt and grandfather.

I would also like family trees and toddlers. Not bashing anyone for that.
    I think crib babies instead of no babies is good too. But it is still disappointing to see that in a game made in 2014, y'know?

I know it recognizes those relationships but was told before that it won't recognize great aunts/uncles and great grandparents, not that it wouldn't recognize aunts/uncles and grandparents ;)

I know, trust me. (imo) the sims 2 was the best game of the series. They have gameplay that they couldn't even add in 4, 8 years later. Its upsetting.

Sorry, I guess I misread your post. I will have to open the game and see if it recognizes those or not.
    Yeah, I wish I could take the family part from TS2 and, for me at least, the open world, CASt, color wheel, Nraas SP, and merge them together.

Please do let me know if it does or does not :)

I understand that. The only reason I can play TS2 despite how it looks compared to TS3 is because 1. Family. Even just the little things like how the kids will run up to a parent and hug them when they got home from work. It's just so aww <3 and 2. I prefer certain EPs that were done in TS2 compared to their TS3 counterparts i.e. Nightlife/Apartment Life>Late Night.

Also, sorry for throwing this OT >_<
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    But I feel like a game should be fun from the start and not something that should grow on you IMO.

Well, that is exactly how I got hooked on sims in the first place. When I first played it I did not understand the point. Why would you want to control other peoples lives when I can't even control my own? :# But i kept playing it, and it grew on me, and 15 years later, here I am.

@SimChic1, now you've made me want to play again.....that's probably what I'll be doing tonight during this blizzard! B)

I also apologize for taking this OT.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    @sparkfairy1 I agree. At this point I've stopped caring about whether the "lol" was given to me out of sarcasm / mockery or not. At the end of the day the people who do this are only wasting their own time and they're still giving me imaginary internet points that seem to matter oh so much so eh. Let them do it :D

Exactly ;) meanness or bad behaviour says more about the person doing it than the victim. That's my view anyway :)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If EA had game gave up an actual 48 hours or a gurateed 10 hours at least, I would of tried the things mentioned.

I feel like there are a few things in my life that had to grow on me for me to enjoy them such as couple shows I watch. However, it all comes down to a matter of opinion. I just also feel Sims 4 hasn't been given a fair shot by SOME people. They just hear the people complaining about the lack of certain features without trying for themselves to formulate their own subjective opinion based on experience. That is why this 48 hour trial is perfect.
  • Options

I feel the same way. If it's a new genre to me then I'll give it a bit of grace and I might even buy into that genre several times before writing it off but if it's a game within a genre I already like and it just doesn't gel with me then I just don't waste my time on it. I don't expect to be wowed immediately from the second I put the disk in but I expect a game to be fun and not something that feels like a slog to do because I'm waiting to get to the "good" bit.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    They just hear the people complaining about the lack of certain features without trying for themselves to formulate their own subjective opinion based on experience.

This. THIS!!! Finally someone understands what I've been saying!

WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

I feel like there are a few things in my life that had to grow on me for me to enjoy them such as couple shows I watch. However, it is all comes down to a matter of opinion. I just also feel Sims 4 hasn't been given a fair shot by SOME people. They just hear the people complaining about the lack of certain features without trying for themselves to formulate their own subjective opinion based on experience. That is why this 48 hour trial is perfect.

I do think to some extent it has become the "in" thing to do here, but I think for every one person who does this there are about ten other people who legitimately feel as though this makes the game unworkable for them. It's a bit of a difficult one though.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    They just hear the people complaining about the lack of certain features without trying for themselves to formulate their own subjective opinion based on experience.

Tbh with you two, nobody in their right mind would buy the game to see if what they are saying is true. There are many ways to show evidence and those they see on the internet is enough for them to make up their mind. Expressing their opinions without experience is called being a spectator.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member

But I am playing it. I've been playing it all day. They gave the game away for a free 48 hour trial, everyone either has played or is playing it right now.

And I also love the franchise, I've been simming since TS1. I've always loved the Sims games, all of the flavors. City, ant, spin off medieval versions - all of 'em.

All of this entitles me to an opinion on TS4. Some people may disagree with my opinion and some people may say "I'm playing it wrong" or "edge scrolling is fine, there's just that little problem with not being able to scroll down which doesn't bother me specifically", but guess what? I still get to have an opinion. Even if it isn't the same one as those who love things like collecting rocks just because or playing single sims to bro out. I'm also going to express my opinions on the official forums, where I've always expressed my opinions on sims games, because no other forum I visit cares how I feel about the latest version of the sims video game. Oh, and I'm going to target threads with titles such as "Playing the free trial am I missing something" opposed to "I love everything about the Sims 4 and won't hear a word against it" to express my opinion on the official forum because I feel that would be the best audience.

I apologize if that is somehow personally offensive to you or makes you feel bad in some way, that is not my intention at all. What I really want to do is vent and hope that someone at EA stumbles upon it and uses the feedback to make a better game for all of us.

• Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member

Sorry not biting.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options

I feel like there are a few things in my life that had to grow on me for me to enjoy them such as couple shows I watch. However, it is all comes down to a matter of opinion. I just also feel Sims 4 hasn't been given a fair shot by SOME people. They just hear the people complaining about the lack of certain features without trying for themselves to formulate their own subjective opinion based on experience. That is why this 48 hour trial is perfect.

Ah but that's subjective. Some people don't have the time to let things grow on them-they have to make that time count. So while that fits for you, it doesn't fit for others. Especially those with kids and families-their alone time is really precious and hard to come by.

Btw I own sims4. I played it for a long time. I tried but I enjoy the play style I love. I don't enjoy the same as you-I see little to no point in tasks or collecting because I don't enjoy it. It leaves me cold. I know this. Why should I be forced to do it anyway to satisfy someone else?! I shouldn't. I shouldn't even need to tell you any of that. It's not really up to anyone else to judge me on this.

I'm not judging you, and I don't need to be judged for what I do either :) The best way is to agree to disagree and not question the motives or actions of others because it's bound to end in conflict and hurt for everyone involved.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Seamoan wrote: »

But I am playing it. I've been playing it all day. They gave the game away for a free 48 hour trial, everyone either has played or is playing it right now.

And I also love the franchise, I've been simming since TS1. I've always loved the Sims games, all of the flavors. City, ant, spin off medieval versions - all of 'em.

All of this entitles me to an opinion on TS4. Some people may disagree with my opinion and some people may say "I'm playing it wrong" or "edge scrolling is fine, there's just that little problem with not being able to scroll down which doesn't bother me specifically", but guess what? I still get to have an opinion. Even if it isn't the same one as those who love things like collecting rocks just because or playing single sims to bro out. I'm also going to express my opinions on the official forums, where I've always expressed my opinions on sims games, because no other forum I visit cares how I feel about the latest version of the sims video game. Oh, and I'm going to target threads with titles such as "Playing the free trial am I missing something" opposed to "I love everything about the Sims 4 and won't hear a word against it" to express my opinion on the official forum because I feel that would be the best audience.

I apologize if that is somehow personally offensive to you or makes you feel bad in some way, that is not my intention at all. What I really want to do is vent and hope that someone at EA stumbles upon it and uses the feedback to make a better game for all of us.

Don't worry, nothing here is personally offensive to me. :) Also no, I have seen people that say they haven't bought the game still bashing it on every thread. I'm not saying "hey guys stop doing that you can't post that here" I'm just expressing my anguish and upset about that. You are entitled as much to your opinion as I am mine:) I did not say you are playing wrong or anything. I'm just venting too because its one of my fav games and I hate to see it going downhill and people talking so badly about it. Doesn't mean I have any more power over this forum than you or the next guy.

WLfAA9V.png
  • Options

Sorry not biting.

Sorry :):):)
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    Seamoan wrote: »

I wanted a better game, but there nothing on this earth that will make TS4 appeal to me to even play with the trial. It's not the combination of the best of TS2 & TS3 I was hoping for, its something other then the series I loved. I want nothing to do with something that basically eviscerated out my way of playing. I want the sandbox back...PS if I want to play an RPG, or a linear game I play WoW...never should the two ever meet.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?