The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People are upset this game focused on Sims

Comments

• Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Diedrupo wrote: »
    If you're still clinging to something as stupid as the lack of create-a-style, then your priorities in playing the sims in the first place were severely misplaced and you won't be missed as a customer.

You are rude as can be! Were you ever taught something called respect?

752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    PmlTry wrote: »
    almond wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. And I for one am glad the game has returned back to its roots. A longtime, loyal sims player...

Would it detract from your game if the rest of us still had options like Story progression, toddlers, and Family trees? Why?

The problem with your argument is you are phrasing it as if the Gurus left out those features just to upset you.

They didn't. It was an "either or" type of deal; they "cut" some features to focus on the Sims themselves more.
  • Options
    AyuismAyuism Posts: 286 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Halle_M wrote: »
    Why can't we have both?

As we saw with Sims2 and 3 it is one or the other apparently. Sims 2 was about the sims. Sims 3 was about the world around the sims. Sims 2 had fun sims with tons of personality and cute little things the sims did. Sims 3 had robotic sims who seemed very programmed as the robots were. Even players when they talked about their game all talked about the views and how gorgeous this or that view was. I saw more pictures of the views and sunsets in Sims 3 than I ever saw of simmers sims. The game is called THE SIMS not the Sims worlds. So I am glad EA went back to Will Wrights concept of what the sims was supposed to be about. The only thing I don't like in Sims 4 is the missing toddlers and not being able to properly deal with the infants. I do not like my sims baby jumping from the bassinet to a full blown child. Therefore I just don't play young married - I play singles or already made families I make myself in CAS so as to not have the baby morph to child thing. But everything else I love about Sims 4. To me except for that one thing the game is perfect finally.

I totally agree! Although I do think the world could stand to be a little bigger, I'm glad the main focus is back on the Sims! :)
  • Options
    PmlTryPmlTry Posts: 783 Member
    beville wrote: »
    People will complain about anything and everything, why can't some just love the game or just stick with what makes you happy.

I am. And since more than one person on these boards has asked why I'm not just disappointed but a bit angry about how EA has handled this, I'm going to express my opinion.
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    As we saw with Sims2 and 3 it is one or the other apparently. Sims 2 was about the sims. Sims 3 was about the world around the sims. Sims 2 had fun sims with tons of personality and cute little things the sims did. Sims 3 had robotic sims who seemed very programmed as the robots were. Even players when they talked about their game all talked about the views and how gorgeous this or that view was. I saw more pictures of the views and sunsets in Sims 3 than I ever saw of simmers sims. The game is called THE SIMS not the Sims worlds. So I am glad EA went back to Will Wrights concept of what the sims was supposed to be about. The only thing I don't like in Sims 4 is the missing toddlers and not being able to properly deal with the infants. I do not like my sims baby jumping from the bassinet to a full blown child. Therefore I just don't play young married - I play singles or already made families I make myself in CAS so as to not have the baby morph to child thing. But everything else I love about Sims 4. To me except for that one thing the game is perfect finally.

I refuse to believe you cannot have both. I do, however, believe that EA is incapable of delivering both.
  • Options
    Snick3Snick3 Posts: 72 Member
    > @4utumn said:
    > I'm enjoying Sims 4. If I start missing open world etc.. I'll go play Sims 3 for a bit, it's not like it was deleted. I like sims 4 for what it is, a new instalment in the franchise, something new. I'm loving my quirky, emotional sims, I've laughed a few times already at some things they have done.
    >

I agree with you in a sense 4Utumn, that's why I made the Skyrim and Dragon Age analogy, but at the same time not everyone wants to go out and by all the expansions that come with a new edition unless the new edition brings something new to the table that they enjoy. So far I'm not there but my opinion could change the more I play. Oh and I suppose depending on which way the modders go that I follow. If they decide to stick with S3 or go all the way into S4 that would make a difference. Usually when a new edition comes out they stop making mods for the older one.
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,452 Member
    Focused so much on the sims. So much that now when your sims feel a really strong emotion they can die. Focused so much that their life is missing a stage. So focused on the sims that they missed major bugs related to them.

I'm sorry, but you call open world, missing CASt, etc., secondary? Last time I checked those secondary things made so many excited for TS3 and embraced it.
  • Options
    almondalmond Posts: 153 Member
    edited September 2014
    I agree with the OP. And I for one am glad the game has returned back to its roots. A longtime, loyal sims player...

Would it detract from your game if the rest of us still had options like Story progression, toddlers, and Family trees? Why?

Those things have no effect on me. Also, there is still some story progression in TS4.

Sometimes people like things and sometimes people don't. I was simply agreeing with the original post of this thread. That is all.

I can like Sims 4 all I want just like how I disliked Sims 3 all I wanted.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Alnairan wrote: »
    I understand that they expanded upon sims themselves, but I also want more stuff for them to do (like, say, swimming :P).

It will come.
  • Options
    Snick3Snick3 Posts: 72 Member
    > @beville said:
    > People will complain about anything and everything, why can't some just love the game or just stick with what makes you happy.

They can but people also like to give their opinions, that why people get paid to write reviews and others read the reviews. I never go just off a review but I will voice my opinion once I've reached one.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

People will complain about anything and everything, why can't some just love the game or just stick with what makes you happy.

Maybe because it IS because we love this game, we can see what it could be. Taking out items on the 4th incarnation of the game makes no sense...especially the little things that make the Sims, the Sims. One example: they remove some NPC's. Yet if a fire breaks out YOUR sim can put out a fire...so the animations are there, they just didn't bother making an npc. Or, your sim can fix a furniture item...so the animations are there, they just didn't bother making an npc for that. Its these little things that I don't understand, since there is no reason so many things were omitted. Dishwasher, trash compactors, dancing WITH another sim, the dancing of parent with child, the goofy child style dancing. These were all in the base games before, why omit them? Makes no sense.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options

Those things have no effect on me.

Then why is the removal of these things an improvement?
    Also, there is still some story progression in TS4.

Riiiight. Everybody stands around in the park until they die of old age.

• Options
    TeladisTeladis Posts: 82 Member
    Developers don't try make games to upset consumers. They try to make a game that is fun, and sells well. They took a good hard look and saw the flaws of sims 3. If they was to make sims 4 like sims 3. It would not have been a true upgrade. They needed to expand on the sims themselves, but it seems like pathing, and how well the game handle. They just could not come up with a engine or a answer for it. So they had a choice, to have the open world hold the game back. Or cut the open world out and give more life to the sims. I for one am happy that it is gone, but I am sure others are not.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    If you're still clinging to something as stupid as the lack of create-a-style, then your priorities in playing the sims in the first place were severely misplaced and you won't be missed as a customer.

Yep, I think Bethesda or Rockstar would rather have my money than have me give it to EA, too.

Then why are you not there if they are better. Actions speak louder than words. I always laugh at people who keep saying this same stuff - but yet they are still here. So talk is cheap apparently.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    almondalmond Posts: 153 Member

Those things have no effect on me.

Then why is the removal of these things an improvement?
    Also, there is still some story progression in TS4.

Thanks for putting words into my e-mouth and again nothing to do with what I am posting.

Sims 4 Sims 4 Sims 4 Sims 4 Sims 4 Sims 4 Sims 4

:D

All day, errday.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »
    It's strange if you think about it but it's true. What are the usual complaints about what's "missing" from Sims 4? Pools, CASt, and open world, all of which aren't directly related to Sims and their interactions with one another.

Toddlers are also a common complaint but there is always an exception to every rule.

Now let's look at the common complaints people have about what was put in the game "instead" of these features; smarter Sims, emotions, and bros, all of which directly affect Sims and their interactions with one another.

It's like Sims 3 moved the focus away from the original concept of the game and focused more on the secondary aspects of the game and people are now upset because Sims 4 places the focus back on what made the series great to begin with.

I have to disagree. I think there is too much focus on the emotions, & not enough on the sims themselves. It seems like everything my sim does brings about a different emotion - it's like she has Multiple Personality Disorder. While I do like the concept of emotions affecting them, every single time a sim views a painting she should NOT become inspired - that's just not realistic.

As for missing items for sims, those items did affect - albeit it to a lesser degree - the sims' satisfaction with the beauty of their surroundings, their desire to have a large family, etc.

I understand why they chose to eliminate things, & actually agree for the most part. I may not like it, but I did go ahead & buy the game knowing that certain things would be missing. Getting angry with people who worked hard to bring this game to myself & the rest of the simming community, when I knew well before that things would be gone, is pointless imo. If I would be angry with anyone, it would be myself.

I've been a simmer since The Sims 1, so have started over twice before. There is always a few weeks of extreme gut reaction from people, then things quiet down.

Most of my dissatisfaction with this game involves what I feel is not true freedom in style of simming - from locked items, to emotions over-affecting, to missing items. I feel like I must play a certain way, or miss out on a lot of the game. I never felt that way with previously.

Having said that, I will repeat what I said in another post: by The Sims 3, all I really wanted to do was build houses. The Sims 4 is the first time in YEARS I've actually wanted to play sims more. That in itself gives me hope. :)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Teladis wrote: »
    Developers don't try make games to upset consumers. They try to make a game that is fun, and sells well. They took a good hard look and saw the flaws of sims 3. If they was to make sims 4 like sims 3. It would not have been a true upgrade.

Oh please. A "true upgrade" expands on features that are considered a vital part of gameplay. It doesn't reduce them. Taking out story progression and open neighborhoods is a reduction, not an improvement.

Judging from the Sim City Debacle, game developers try to get away with as much as they can, no matter what their customers might want or need.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So talk is cheap apparently.

No, talk is $59.96 for the Limited Edition :P

The Sims 4 Limited Edition

List Price: $59.99
    Price: $59.96 & FREE Shipping.

You Save: $0.03

In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Oh look, order now and save! :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »

Maybe because it IS because we love this game, we can see what it could be. Taking out items on the 4th incarnation of the game makes no sense...especially the little things that make the Sims, the Sims. One example: they remove some NPC's. Yet if a fire breaks out YOUR sim can put out a fire...so the animations are there, they just didn't bother making an npc. Or, your sim can fix a furniture item...so the animations are there, they just didn't bother making an npc for that. Its these little things that I don't understand, since there is no reason so many things were omitted. Dishwasher, trash compactors, dancing WITH another sim, the dancing of parent with child, the goofy child style dancing. These were all in the base games before, why omit them? Makes no sense.

Actually, they weren't. In sims 3, even after ALL the expansions, they never brought back the parent being able to dance with the kid on their feet. In sims 3, the kids didn't dance.

Dishwashers and trash compactors are a very minor issue. In fact, IRL, I've gone back to washing dishes by hand. And I don't know many ppl with a trash compactor.

I do miss the slow dance thing though because my sims couples are so loving in so many ways, I want to see them dance together.

As far as calling in the handyman, idc, I've always made one of the family members learn the handy skill. I guess I'm cheap and didn't figure paying someone else $50 to fix it was worth it, so I don't miss the handyman npc.

Another one I don't miss is the robber. I had them too many times in 3. All they do is set the alarm off and freak out on the front porch and wake my sims up....and then the cops come, fight him, and that's it. Waste of time imo.

And repoman, the same thing. Waste of time. I prefer the new method of power being shut off.

• Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member

Yep, I think Bethesda or Rockstar would rather have my money than have me give it to EA, too.

Then why are you not there if they are better. Actions speak louder than words. I always laugh at people who keep saying this same stuff - but yet they are still here. So talk is cheap apparently.

Talk is cheap, considering how many posts I saw from you on the Sims 3 forum extolling its virtues.

Also, I'm here:

1. Because I still play Sims 3.
    2. Because I want to be.
  • Options
    simsaddict7777777simsaddict7777777 Posts: 130 Member
    edited September 2014
    I honestly think that if given more time the Sims 4 would have included toddlers, etc., the things we miss.

> I'm suggesting you stop being a whiny manbaby. No one cares that you don't want to play the game nor does anyone care that you want to complain about it every hour of the day.
    >
    > If you actually *gasp* gave the game a chance like many people who had reservations did (myself included), you'd find that it's still fun and you are overblowing the list of missing features.
    >
    > If you're still clinging to something as stupid as the lack of create-a-style, then your priorities in playing the sims in the first place were severely misplaced and you won't be missed as a customer.

People have the right to be upset that features they find vital are missing from the game. We want the most out of the 60-80 dollars we spent on the game. CASt may not seem important to you but it does for others. The Sims isn't just about playing with the Sims for many. It's about building and designing houses which having a CASt would be helpful for. People want to make unique sims which CASt would also be helpful for.

(I don't know why quoting isn't working with me).
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited September 2014
    If it was soo focused on the Sim, why couldn't the Sim have more and better life stages? Why couldn't the Sim have actual environment or comfort needs? Why couldn't the Sim have proper jealousy. Why are baby Sims tantamount to an object. Seriously, you would think after people's displeasure with the burrito babies in TS3 they would IMPROVE babies in TS4, not make them worse especially if you're removing toddlers. Why couldn't the Sim have significantly more activities than the last base game I played? It just doesn't make sense to say it focuses on the Sim. I think a more truthful way of putting it is this game is focused on "some aspects" of the Sims.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

You keep saying this and it's incorrect. Unplayed Sims don't stand around like statues, drooling, until you show up. They go about their lives as normal. However, their lives don't interfere with yours so if your played Sim wants to call and chat with someone, he can. If he has a day off in the middle of the week and wants to go on a date, the Sim he's calling isn't going to be "at work" or unavailable.

One player mentioned that he switched over from his newly married couple to play the Goths for awhile and when he went back, his hubby sim had gotten into a romantic relationship with a townie.

They will not get married, get promotions or have children if they're unplayed but they aren't standing around with their thumbs up their butts waiting for your sim to show up.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2014

It does not distract but where has constantly talking about it gotten you yet? And what are we supposed to do about your unhappiness. Cry or beg for something YOU want and we don't care about for the most part? Sure I would like to see toddlers but hey a game that is as fun as this one is proving to ME to be I would rather be playing and enjoying it instead of sitting here day after day and carrying on about missing stuff or talking about giving money to other sites for their game - but here you all still sit complaining. Look at the missing stuff thread - the same people saying the same thing over and over and over. Save yourself some time - just copy and paste what you said the first time weeks ago in that post and just keep pasting the same thing as it says the same thing . Where has all that got you? About as far as you have gotten the first day. On top of it some of your supporters have actually left the pack as they decided to try the game and by golly some of them are even liking it. I give them credit. They are at least doing something.

I was a long time supporter of another game years ago and bought all their series and eps too - but when they went totally off the deep end with the game and in a direction i could not even bring myself to try - I left. I found a new game and stuck with that one until Sims . It is pointless to do other wise.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited September 2014
    fullspiral wrote: »

Actually, they weren't. In sims 3...

I went back to Sims 2 ;)

And as to the NPC's, that wasn't my point. It was the animations are there...but they were lazy and didn't put in creatures that we've had since Sims1

Marcus Aurelius