The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People are upset this game focused on Sims

Comments

• Options
    PmlTryPmlTry Posts: 783 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    PmlTry wrote: »
    Teladis wrote: »
    Open world was just holding the sims back, Do I think the areas need to be bigger? sure, but I don't want to ever have to deal with the mess that was sims 3 again.

Were you forced to move around in that world rather than sticking to your house or the block around it?

Are you forced to move around in the world in S4 rather than sticking to your house or "neighbourhood" around it?

Nope. The issue is not whether or not I'm being forced to buy TS4. The issue is whether it's an improvement on TS3. It's not. It narrows options rather than expanding them. You weren't forced to take walks around your neighborhoods in TS3. In TS4, the player is forced into a narrower geographical area. As I said, the players options are limited.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »

It could be worse. He could go on and on about how much the game play in Sims 4 is wrong and doesn't work without even having played the game.

Or he could go on and on insulting, flaming and trolling.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member

Yes, I've seen those videos. That's nice, but not enough of an improvement to make up for the lack of open neighborhoods and story progression. And if it "failed in more ways than worked," how odd that many of us played with those features -- as buggy as they were -- for years.

Look, you can offer all the rationalizations you want, but this is not an improvement. Which is why I don't recall Sims 4 being advertised with "GREAT NEWS FOLKS! No more of that pesky story progression! Open neighborhoods? GONE! Toddlers? Out of the picture! Come shell out $60 to $80 bucks for a brand spanking new game WITHOUT those features considered such a major selling point in Sims 3..."

It would, as I've said, be more honest to market it as "Sims 2 1/2" or even just as a Sims along the lines of Sims Medieval.

I just don't agree, Having a small community area that people talk, jog, and do things>Sims 3 open world that felt open and void most of the time.

Open world was just holding the sims back, Do I think the areas need to be bigger? sure, but I don't want to ever have to deal with the mess that was sims 3 again.
    I can't agree. I hate small communities (in games). Fixing the open world would've been a better chosen option.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    A open world..ok, but did it matter?

To some of us, yeah. And certainly story progression mattered.

• Options
    TeladisTeladis Posts: 82 Member
    edited September 2014

Were you forced to move around in that world rather than sticking to your house or the block around it?

Are you forced to move around in the world in S4 rather than sticking to your house or "neighbourhood" around it?

Nope. The issue is not whether or not I'm being forced to buy TS4. The issue is whether it's an improvement on TS3. It's not. It narrows options rather than expanding them. You weren't forced to take walks around your neighborhoods in TS3. In TS4, the player is forced into a narrower geographical area. As I said, the players options are limited.

If you are looking at it like that. Sims 3 is even more limited.

You can't switch worlds and when new ones come out. You can't have your sims move to it.
    The sims themselves have narrow options when it comes to how they handle other sims or how they use a object.

The sims 3 was a step back from the sims 2 in many bad ways. The sims 4 is a step back from sims 3 in many good ways, that advances the series, not hurts it with trying to be too big for its own good.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I can't agree. I hate small communities (in games). Fixing the open world would've been a better chosen option.

I'm sure it would have been for the devs as well if they could make it work. They had to make a choice, and cut things back so they can improve other things. It blows for people who want open world, but at least you guys still have sims 3. For most of sims 3 life, I stuck with sims 2. So having a upgrade from sims 2 for me, makes me happy.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    I had hoped they'd have combined the best of TS2 & TS3. Nope. Ah well. Oh by the way, the ignore list holds a lot more then 5 names, mine is pretty lengthy now.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    The sims 3 was a step back from the sims 2 in many bad ways. The sims 4 is a step back from sims 3 in many good ways, that advances the series, not hurts it with trying to be too big for its own good.

I'd say taking out features that were a big selling point when Sims 3 came out, and were used well and successfully by simmers for years is a pretty big step back. If taking them out was such an improvement, why was removing those features not touted ahead of time. "Great news folks! We're getting RID of story progression, toddlers, and open neighborhoods! YAAAAAAY!"

Perhaps in a few years they'll put story progression and family trees back in. Then I'll be more likely to buy it, and will be delighted with the smaller improvements I've seen. Until then...

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

ORLY? I haven't gotten the "looney" motive at all. In 3, in order to get rid of it you needed to get off your lot and explore the world. So, in essence, (forcing) you off your lot to take walks.

So lets' see. You are forced out in 3, but not in 4?

• Options
    edited September 2014

Hey I will agree with story progression. I also would agree if you said robbers, and firemen..basic NPCs that makes the place feel even more alive. I get you, and I feel the same.

I think what most of us who loves Sims 4 likes it because the game oozes with pure potential. Picture if we get a Open for Business type deal, where we can make a world as a pure shopping center. we could just hop over to it at any time we want.

Or have a whole world where we can make it into a amusement park. The game screams greatness in ways I can't even think of.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I don't know but shouldn't happy people be playing their happy game and not worried and trying explain why others aren't so happy? Not everyone will buy rainbow ride.
    Generally speaking, I respect your input greatly, but this sort of argument is both without merit and completely besides the point. It's usually simply used to imply that someone isn't honestly a fan of the game if they have time to do anything other than play. Which, as we all know, is a ridiculous assumption to make. Pretty much everyone has to deal with real life at some point or another and these implications make too many assumptions about people that we just can't know.
    ... I don't want smarter Sims. I want a smarter game engine that moves the others around My Sims. Sims that might moan and groan but do what I say- 'Yes you will climb in that pool and swim until I let you out."
    Perhaps I'm not understanding what you want but as far as my experience goes, this is exactly how it works. Unplayed sims move around town, socialize with your sim and generally behave like "normal" sims. But, since they don't have jobs (except to fill in where needed--mailman, pizza delivery, maid, gardener for public lots, bartender) you don't have to try and figure out townie schedules to interact with them. If I call my soon-to-be girlfriend on the phone to chat, she won't say "sorry, I'm at work" and hang up. If I want to go to the park on Thursday afternoon, I can call my new acquaintance and go to the park with them instead of having them tell me they're busy.

I also haven't a lot of problems with sim stomping on their queues even with free will on, except when they're exhausted which is exactly what they did in TS3.
    Multi-tasking- it's a feature of the game- Sims aren't smarter, the option is just there for them now. I guess that's part of their lie of making it seem like their smarter. :lol:
    Again, not sure what you mean by this. They're not real so, of course, they aren't actually smarter. But they do behave smarter. I sent my sim to the lounge to make some friends. As soon as he got there, I put him in a conversation with someone. They sat down together and had a third person join them. I didn't have to prompt a bunch of dialogue if I didn't want, could just sit and watch them all chatting away, making jokes, talking about whatever. I noticed my sim was hungry so I sent him to the bar to get chips. I figured the other sims I'd been talking to would get up and wander off since I wasn't directly interacting with them. Instead, my sim waved at the bartender to order the chips and then took his bowl of chips back to the table and sat down to chat again. All I did was send him to get chips--I didn't tell him to go back and chat. Not sure how that can't be seen as "smarter" even if it's technically an illusion.
    The game engine that runs the behind the scenes- like those missing NPCs, those missing carpools, those missing family trees- that's where I want the smartness... Sims, Sims should have personality and the ability to multi-task and show their emotions but they should be dumb to just do what I tell them to do.

I don't want to sit and watch Sims... I want to play. :P That's my take on the Sims.
    Honestly, I feel like I get the best of both worlds because I get to play but my Sims are more alive and functional than they were in TS3. I sometimes miss CASt because I used it constantly but it's usually pretty fleeting for me. But I do get that for some people OW, SP, CASt were all too important to just move on without.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »

It could be worse. He could go on and on about how much the game play in Sims 4 is wrong and doesn't work without even having played the game.

Or he could go on and on insulting, flaming and trolling.

No.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,594 Member
    Oh... see how nice this is? A nice discussion on the game.

Yes, things that people loved about the game are gone. If it doesn't bother you then play and be happy, why keep bringing it up? Why keep rubbing it in?

Why keep telling us our view isn't worth it and we should just get over it... This is so much a nice community. Glad you're all having fun ... but I much rather have fun watching and waiting then being lectured and pushed around. :(
  • Options
    ORLY? I haven't gotten the "looney" motive at all. In 3, in order to get rid of it you needed to get off your lot and explore the world. So, in essence, (forcing) you off your lot to take walks.

Or, you could enable testing cheats, control click on the "loony" motive, and get rid of it, thus eliminating the need to walk around the neighborhood.

• Options
    simsumssimsums Posts: 38 Member
    I don't care about pools or toddlers, but the lack of open worlds and create a style is a major setback. Open worlds and a tool like create a style was something fans had been wanting for YEARS so it seems strange to me that those things that propelled the series forward were left out in this new generation. I understand that the open worlds were left out to improve performance but I wish there was like an option for people like me who have powerful computers to get our caw and free worlds in TS4!
    I really should go outside more and stop complaining about pixel plots of land lol :p
    we can't all earn 100 points some of us work minimum wage stop opresssing me ea!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Snick3Snick3 Posts: 72 Member
    > @PmlTry said:
    > Perhaps in a few years they'll put story progression and family trees back in. Then I'll be more likely to buy it, and will be delighted with the smaller improvements I've seen. Until then...

That's really the best way for anyone that doesn't like TS4 to let EA/Maxis know, don't buy the game. If you did already, I really have to try something out before I can give an opinion, then just don't buy any further expansions. If you don't like the changes AND you buy the expansion you are not sending them a message. Money is what motivates the people behind the game to make a better game. You can say its "the love of making a quality product" all you want but in the end its profit margin that decides what changes get made.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Or, you could enable testing cheats, control click on the "loony" motive, and get rid of it, thus eliminating the need to walk around the neighborhood.

Well why would I do that? I don't use many cheats, mods, or anything like that. I like to play the game as it was intended and made.

(and by far, 4 was made better!)
  • Options

Hey I will agree with story progression. I also would agree if you said robbers, and firemen..basic NPCs that makes the place feel even more alive. I get you, and I feel the same.

I think what most of us who loves Sims 4 likes it because the game oozes with pure potential. Picture if we get a Open for Business type deal, where we can make a world as a pure shopping center. we could just hop over to it at any time we want.

Or have a whole world where we can make it into a amusement park. The game screams greatness in ways I can't even think of.

Well, for you. For me -- what's taken out guts my gameplay, which is about generations, families, the interaction of relatives, the stories created by the passage of time. Taking out story progression makes that all the more difficult and knocks me back in time to the way I played with Sims 2.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Yes, things that people loved about the game are gone. If it doesn't bother you then play and be happy, why keep bringing it up? Why keep rubbing it in?

Why keep telling us our view isn't worth it and we should just get over it... This is so much a nice community. Glad you're all having fun ... but I much rather have fun watching and waiting then being lectured and pushed around. :(

Was this in response to me? Because if it was I apologize for offending you somehow. :(
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    luckyjewel87luckyjewel87 Posts: 40 Member
    > @Beagle said:
    > Even though I have logged a lot of hours in TS3, I honestly always preferred the more isolated lot approach of The Sims 2 way better as a gameplay mechanic. Not everyone thought the open-world implementation was a step forward or any sort of objective improvement to the series. I personally found something like the open-world feature a very poor gameplay mechanic compared to the trade-offs.
    >
    > Everyone sees the different approaches with own eyes, that's always going to be the difficult bit of changing things in a fanbase :)

I too share this opinion. My boyfriend and I have found the Sims 4 to be a great fun game and it doesn't break my computer to run it. I am very happy with my purchase and I can't wait for the new expansions.
  • Options
    Well why would I do that?

To avoid using the option of open neighborhoods.
    I don't use many cheats, mods, or anything like that. I like to play the game as it was intended and made.

So in fact, you like there being a narrower, more confining version of the game, which restricts players to a specific form of gameplay.

Is there something preventing you from exiting testing cheats after you've turned off the emotion interfering with your approach?

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,594 Member
    [
    ebuchala wrote: »

Was this in response to me? Because if it was I apologize for offending you somehow. :(

No. I don't think so. :D
    I'm just clumping everyone who tells me my view is dumb and that they're superior into one big ball of *waaah* and getting a head-ache. I really wish I could find another site while I was off my feet.
  • Options

Why do you keep reading things you plainly don't want to read?
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member

So lets' see. You are forced out in 3, but not in 4?

My sim are forced to move around, My sim was stir crazy so to say from staying in so much so I sent him to the museum, because there is a nice outside area there where he can paint, cook, play chess and tons of people there to interact with.
    He can also go to public areas, they are quite large, collect and meet new people, he can go jogging, but the nice thing is he meets people and can at any point start up a conversation and other join in.

If send him to a lot, the loading time for me is only seconds, I can't even pour myself a cup of coffee already made before he is there.
    He can go fishing and now his fishing skill is up and he catches some nice fish.

I am playing a A-Z generation and I have not found anything that stops me from doing so. In fact it is even much better. My sims now are alive, at home and in the public. there are so many paces to go.

I see a nice future for sims 4, even Grant said worlds can be made bigger, more neighborhoods to the worlds. This is a base game and in a this base game you can do more then any other base game. I would not buy this game just because at this point I cannot have a pool in my yard, of toddlers, I don't even miss them. in fact when I am playing I forget all about that stuff because the game play is so great.

sims 3, I loved, but all the venues and things could not be put in your towns. So you have to quite that game and go to another world if you want to play with another venue. Not so in Sims 4, they can add worlds and all you do is go from your world and enjoy the other world too and back home.

How much better can that be. I am so happy that I got the Sims 4, and did not listen to all those here. As I would be so sad hearing about all the things I would have missed from those who are playing and love it. So instead I am playing and loving it.

• Options
    AyuismAyuism Posts: 286 Member
    Interesting anecdote: not even an hour ago, my brother messaged me saying that he was about to buy The Sims 4 but he saw so many negative comments about it. He asked me if it is really that bad. I told him, I've been playing all week so tell me what is most important to you and I'll let you know if the game has it or not, if it was replaced, how the new system works, etc etc. He said to me, "I want to be able to play the violin and be a musician." I asked, "That's it?" He said yes. So I told him he was good to go. He will buy the game within the next week LOL. It's fascinating how much different we Sims fans are. Just thought I'd share.