Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    Does that confirm that this is the shallowest EP yet? No overarching new gameplay system (Milestones, Clubs, Lifestyles etc.), few new gameplay aside from horses and nectar making, mostly rabbitholes.

At least they seem to have gotten the horses part good! But the rest... It's empty.

Please EA give the sims team more budget

I agree. While I love the world, I think it's my new favorite, and the horses are just a dream to play, I am underwhelmed with the lack of gameplay. No new systems, when there totally could have been,

Like the stables parked in from of the equestrian center, that should have been a new lot type, and its totally boring going there- nothing to do. Great set dressing, but while not make it stables where sims on vacation or who dont have horses could rent horses, or horse owner club meetings with events.

Let's not talk about the rabbithole equestrian center. All that work and you dont even get to see the fruits of you labor, which would be radically fun. The could have made it like visiting the studios in get famous or go to work active careers. I really wanted horses races, and betting and stadium seating for spectators not involved as a thing to do.. And still would like a stadium to show dogs, - I wish showing dogs (and cats) could be a refresh.

The nectar making kills me, because so much potential. Vineyard should be a new lot. Someone owns a vineyard and can have wine tasting and selling there. EVen host weddings. Wedding stories refresh would be cool because that's a perfect place for a vineyard.

Also, the dead town. Like ghost there not an inside joke from the developers because theres nothing to do there. everything looks amazing but just set dressing. I wish get to work could have a refresh, and after you get so far in your skill, you unlock some of these storefronts to own and even make a nectar store in the community. like why not?

I sure wish you could rent a stable for your horses, that way people who owned small lots or lived in the apartments could have a horse because they could rent a stable. Or like you said people on vacation could actually rent a horse. I’m having to move my people out of their apartments just so they can own a horse. And, why did they not make more 30 x 40 lots instead of 20 x 30 lots in Chestnut Ridge as horses need a bit of roaming space?

I am assuming horse riding was put into the club system of get together. If not, I would say that’s a big mistake! I haven’t yet given my sims their horses as I have been setting up their homes/stables.

And when it comes to rabbit holes, I just plain don’t like them. That’s why I just gave up on the sims 3 after gettin mg the base game. I loved the get to work careers because they weren’t rabbit holes. That pack sold me on the sims 4 because we could actually go to a work place. And if they do do a refresh on Get to Work, I hope they make the work lot just like the school lot where it can easily be replaced or even just slightly altered without using cheats. I’d also like to see a simple clothing lot trait where you have to buy stuff to open up that piece of clothing, jewelry, glasses etc., also give us racks where we can pick any clothing item we want, jewelry/accessory counters to pick jewelry, glasses, etc., shoe racks, and hat racks to pick those things from. I also want to see produce bins where we can get our produce from. Some grocery store shelves, and the ability to sell sugar, flour, mayonnaise, milk, eggs, etc. a grocery store owner should be able to buy all of that stuff from a catalogue ( supplier ), if you own the pack that that stuff came in, same with produce, if you own Get to Work, you should be able to sell anything from other packs without having to be able to make it, or grow it, like candles and special furniture from eco living, honey from seasons, produce from the various packs you own, from bins etc. and, we need a costume slot, just like we have a slot for hot and cold weather, so we can have costume parties where our rotated sims can show up in the costumes we gave them, or show up to the Geek con festival in city living in the costumes we picked.

Ok, getting back to horses, horse racing would have been a nice thing to add too, but it would have probably been a rabbit hole too, but, at least we might have been able to have a famous horse.

This would have been a great pack to add a bed and breakfast along with wine testing. I can Imagine what a nice vacation world Chestnut Ridge could have been if the had added rentable horses, a bed and breakfast lot, and a wine tasting lot…..

That being said, I do like that they gave us some ways to make money in the pack, teaching riding lessons, renting out goats etc. even if they are rabbit holes.

@SheriSim57 The world is so big, all the lots should have been big. Horse Stables and Vineyard Venue lots should have ben added to the game for this expansion. While I still run horse rental and vineyard selling, it leaves a lot to the imagination and a lot of work. I have sims visit and give them money as a gift, the friend their horse and ride them. While it almost works like the real thing, I should have to fudge an interaction and use my imagination for something that should have been obvious in the game.

For my vineyard, I have to have a sim visit- give them a gift of money and then play as the family to give a gift as wine. If loading screens were not ridiculous long this would be more often possible. I tried to through a ranch party, everyone ignored the drinks I made by the bar and food and pet the sheep. Just odd. I cant even have sheep or horses in the vineyard lot because of grade change. There is barely room for growing produce. Gardening is biged- crops often don't grow.

It's just so many things wrong, I am sure they can fix it and even make it work great and add more much needed features.

I missed sims 3 but everyone raves about it. I really think they should have given use pet birds and all the animals I saw they had in sims 3.

Get to work, you should have to heckle someone for three hours to buy one thing. Highly unrealistic. I which they could give that a refresh. Vineyard shop would be great, however, get real. Each bottle has to be smashed by foot per person? I mean- whiles it funny and cute at first, at some point you should be able to unlock a machine like a cupcake machine to produce more, if we are to run a vineyard for profit. I have three sims in the basement like a sweat shop, all the time working, its just gross.

Bed and breakfast with family still there would be a great idea. Also wedding venue were it's your house and you host the event, as a job is also something that should be considered for either tws or hr refresh as it would be perfect. While from what I have experience, horse ranch and vineyard are privately family owned, at least the event should have been added. Also many of the towns store fronts, miss opportunity we could have the lots to make our own stores in the this community. The feeling of constantly being shorthanded in all their packs is a constant theme.

My biggest quarrel is the equestrian center. You go to this huge event, and it sounds so fun and bustling inside, but it leaves the player outside, like hes missing everything. It's totally insulting and they left out the aspect that would have made this feel like a game, to participate and spectate this sport. The developers act like a really fun game is not within their programing capabilities, but I truly doubt that. I think it intently makes you feel not content, so you buy more packs. Like so much furniture is so oddly themed, but no normal furniture, to carry the game. It's on cue for their selling strategy. Also a game that supposed to mimic life, but so many aspects of it, are not available. It endless what they can do, and lunchboxes and backpack for students is cool and all, but handbags and packs for regular sims, long overdue. Is it too hard to make an animation of them looking through the bag? It's 2023?
  • Options
    cody6268 wrote: Β»
    In my opinion, the Equestrian Center could have been a huge playable lot that was a boarding stable, training facility, and competition venue all in one, as opposed to the current setup of it being a rabbit hole and Duke's Hall across the road (which is not a boarding stable). It's a massive missed flagship feature.

The features it could've allowed.

Boarding horses, as not all Sims live on a lot big enough to house a horse, and well it takes time to retrofit other lots to have horses.

Active competitions with other Sims and their horses, which Sims could also watch.

Horse Trainer active career. Heck, we don't even have it as a rabbit hole career, only for NPCs.

Possible cross-pack compatibility with Cats and Dogs and Sims who run a veterinary practice.

And yet, Strangerville's lab is on a huge lot, not a rabbithole, and central to the plot.

Also Cats and Dogs, I would like to show my dogs too and win competition. It's just so odd because you spend all this time training them, and theres no reward for the fruits of you labor. This a really a spectator's sport. It could have been like get famous, and and you get to perform, with the horse or pet and see if they really perform well or not. I really wanted horse racing and betting for win or lose as well.

Vet's should pay home visits for horses, and that could be an active career like paranormal investigator or dream home decorator. Also for those careers the reverse should be available, for you to make the call and have the service come to your house.

The quality control has gone downhill, (almost want never fully fleshed out all the game should have). I think it's there way of dealing with the unreported inflation, and the demand or stardard of cost for the technology to develop, as that goes up regardless.

Duke's hall looks great and suggest it can be so much, but in game does nothing. The really need to add the aspects of gameplay and not expects the player to use their imagination.
  • Options
    Baby carriers for infant aren't allowed on horses.

I thought baby carrier was designed to let infants follow their parent everywhere.

I was thinking that too today. It would be realistic for horse riding. Also thinking for bikes. I really hope they add cars and baby seats and really flesh out this game because so much leaves longing.
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 704 Member
    I totally agree with the GTW buying system needing a refresh. As a shop owner IRL do you really need to pester a client endlessy so that he buys an onion?

As for Chestnut ridge (and other worlds) I would have liked that they give us lots to build in the centre of town (like Oasis Springs, Willow Creek, Windenberg and others).
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited August 2023
    ce0953cea8f107693bf3838eec78c72fdafef816.jpg

And while they didn't manage to give the horses different heights ingame, the have disturbingly wrong different heights in the households menu ...

fltr/height in hands

Galineers Cob (14,3), Friesian (15,2), Clydesdale (17),
    Nokota (14), Andalusian (15,5), Barb (14,2)
    So none of the other horses should be taller than the brown one (3rd from left) but the white one is. Even though it's supposed to be 1,5 hands shorter,
    the white and the black horse should be around the same height
    the 4th and the 6th horse should be around the same height too
    and the horse to the far right shouldn't be smaller that the one on the left

This looks so stupid because ingame they are all the same height...
    And while the horse to the left looks like a pony, the horse to the right just looks like a horse with too short legs ΓΆ.Γ–'

005521efdbeed73fe80b9c0248e619e53595b01e.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Real Life has had me away from here for a few months, so I thought I should check in and see what's going on with the new EP. After reading the posts in this thread, I am disappointed in how many things were left out of it. My main disappointment is the fact there is so little in the form of cross-pack playability between this EP and the other packs I am currently playing. And how much work players have put into tweaking some gameplay into what they had hoped this EP would bring to the table. Before coming here, I checked @Luthienrising's updated and broken mods thread. Oh my, that is quite the read as well.

I viewed a few videos before today about HR, but I wanted to see what the general consensus of the regular players is before deciding if this EP is something I'd be interested in purchasing. Sadly, it is not. The world is very pretty but there are not enough large lots to build actual working farms/ranches on. Which was a big disappointment with Cottage Living also. I'll wait on buying it until it goes on sale or after Sims4's run is over. Maybe by that time there will be more mods that add the game play I feel is missing.
  • Options

It's madness how far the goats roam from where we place them - in the wink of an eye - across the whole map.
    And afaik it's not possible to call them (if we don't see them), like the horses.
    bb68cc70589ad910b6b7ac60d1a4edaa01cf0c51.jpg

I was unable to find one of them and after the Boys moved it was at the new lot. But we couldn't place it back in the inventory because it 'doesn't belong to us'. argh
    8f4cd332efa8cc88b21f17c2ee488b8ac577512d.jpg
    I didn't experience rabbits or chicken roam that far. Maybe they took the code from the foxes(?)
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,856 Member
    I'm sure this has come up already and I apologize for repeating it but I just had to vent. I just spent my first night out with my sims since this pack released and I'm already planning to disable it until a fix for the incessant cowpoke dancing is ready or someone comes up with a small mod to disable it. It was funny the first time I saw a sim do it, but when it's the only dance step that any of them will do now...πŸ™„
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I'm sure this has come up already and I apologize for repeating it but I just had to vent. I just spent my first night out with my sims since this pack released and I'm already planning to disable it until a fix for the incessant cowpoke dancing is ready or someone comes up with a small mod to disable it. It was funny the first time I saw a sim do it, but when it's the only dance step that any of them will do now...πŸ™„

I agree. They always seem to overtune new pack features until they're done to death and players don't like them anymore. I don't understand why the Cowpoke isn't treated like every other dance. It's also a little bit over-the-top. Would have liked something a little more natural.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,856 Member
    LiELF wrote: Β»
    I agree. They always seem to overtune new pack features until they're done to death and players don't like them anymore. I don't understand why the Cowpoke isn't treated like every other dance. It's also a little bit over-the-top. Would have liked something a little more natural.

If it was just in the bar in Chestnut Ridge it would at least make a little sense, not that it wouldn't get old there too. I'm really hoping a fix is coming soon. I don't think it's anything other a tuning issue so it shouldn't take forever to fix.

• Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2023

I thought baby carrier was designed to let infants follow their parent everywhere.

I was thinking that too today. It would be realistic for horse riding. Also thinking for bikes. I really hope they add cars and baby seats and really flesh out this game because so much leaves longing.

I wonder who would dare to ride with an infant on teir back in real life. Much too dangerous for my taste, at least. I've also never heard of anyone else doing it.

I didn't even know that riding the same horse as a couple (and even kiss) was a thing in other Sims games. That would have been awesome.

@LiELF and @DaniRose2143 :
    My dancingtweak mod takes care of the cowpoke dancing since shortly after the release of the pack. Sims will only autonomusly do it in Chestnut Ridge and not when they're at home.
    https://www.seebee.de/sims4me/

@Paigeisin5: Broken mods are not the packs fault, btw, it is impossible to add a new life state without breaking a vast number of mods. It has nothing to do with the quality of the pack.
    I agree with the missing features though, esp. unicorns, wild horses, better breeding and obstacle courses. I personally do still enjoy the pack a lot.

@Lenny_Ogg: If I remember correctly (I haven't played with these much yet), there are some interactions available to manage your sheep and goats when you hover over their thumbnail in the relationship panel.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    @83bienchen Oh thank you! I didn't know to search for them in the 'Friends' relationship panel! I looked under 'Pets' and they weren't there ^^'
    Oh my this will save me from so much searching!
  • Options
    SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Why the swatches in this pack are so different to each other?

hvkx3b9yi9pb1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=f0aac938e752df09ca6408a853eb3d89ec67266b
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    My guess about the Horse Ranch color swatches is that they weren't made with matching color tones. It is what it is. :(
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    edited September 2023
    I didn't read the whole thread and it probably got mentioned before, but it's so disappointing.

ff24ecfcd321201e72d80385bf6056ce6178b5be.jpg
    I'm about to create our first horses. And I don't know much about horses.
    But one thing I know is, that there are small horses and big horses.

But EA doesn't even know that...
    Or they will claim that the ingame Welsh Cob is very tall and the Clydesdale is very small for their breed...
    f37722e16ce2239be1c0684f996318b7d3942efa.jpg
    Welsh Cob:
    The breed ranges from 11 hands (44 inches, 112 cm) for the smallest ponies to over 16 hands (64 inches, 163 cm) for the tallest Cobs.

Clydesdale:
    Adult male Clydesdales measure 17 to 19 hands (1.7-1.9 m or 5.7-6.3 ft.). Adult females measure 16 to 18 hands (1.6-1.7 m or 5.3-5.7 ft.).

I mean we even had small dogs and big dogs. And small children and big children. Why?
    3f97fe9fe030adb1f66cb70c64ebab666f78d505.pnj

For each size they would have to make new animations. And as it is I think they did a good job with the animations they gave us. At least they made it where children could at least ride horses. They did give us a lot of breeds, 4 types of competition and skill for both rider and horse, and like with cats and dogs they gave us the color wheel. We didn’t even have babies that could move around the house before this year.

Personally I would have liked to be able to board horses so apartment dwellers and those on small lots could own them. Also being able to rent a horse for a ride would have been nice. But we are not all going to get exactly what we wanted. I do think they did a nice job with the horses they did make though.
  • Options
    I love and adore the pack for the horses but I do agree with @SheriSim57 - options for those who can not house a horse, to rent would have been an excellent one. I do add this feature to my game play where I have a family on the largest lot of chestnut ridge with four horses where families on vacation gift them money for horse trail experience, to make up for the oversight. In the sims 4 developers defense, from my experience, those horse trails are usually run by small home own ranch owners, but would have been nice as an automatic event or feature or way to make money fo the feel of gameplay.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    edited September 2023

I wonder who would dare to ride with an infant on teir back in real life. Much too dangerous for my taste, at least. I've also never heard of anyone else doing it.

I didn't even know that riding the same horse as a couple (and even kiss) was a thing in other Sims games. That would have been awesome.

@LiELF and @DaniRose2143 :
    My dancingtweak mod takes care of the cowpoke dancing since shortly after the release of the pack. Sims will only autonomusly do it in Chestnut Ridge and not when they're at home.
    https://www.seebee.de/sims4me/

@Paigeisin5: Broken mods are not the packs fault, btw, it is impossible to add a new life state without breaking a vast number of mods. It has nothing to do with the quality of the pack.
    I agree with the missing features though, esp. unicorns, wild horses, better breeding and obstacle courses. I personally do still enjoy the pack a lot.

@Lenny_Ogg: If I remember correctly (I haven't played with these much yet), there are some interactions available to manage your sheep and goats when you hover over their thumbnail in the relationship panel.

I agree the pack itself is not responsible for breaking mods. This is what we expect whenever the game is patched, updated or we purchase new packs. But this process of updating our mods, some of which are too useful to not have, has become very time consuming. And right now, I lack time to spare to tackle all of it. That comment I made was not directed at the developers. Once Real Life returns to being somewhat more normal and I can think straight, I will be looking into using CurseForge as an alternate way to better handle the many mods I use. :)
  • Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    edited January 1
    Just now, I am aware that we did not get the beautiful horse Sage in the world, rescued by Dani in the gameplay trailer!

screenshot20240102.png
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Great pack but now that I finally got my hands on it I have a few things I would have liked to be different.
    -unicorns : I wish unicorns would be more than just one visual effect. Unicorns are supposed to be magical or mythical creatures but for my sims there is no difference. In short I realise I am deluding myself in thinking unicorns in my game are magical. On a related note I was disappointed that the foal of two unicorns didn't inherit the horn. But I guess that shows how hollow the unicorns are. Imagine if the devs had done the same for vampires : put one pair of pointy teeth with no gameplay and called it a day. *shudders*
    - why are saddles required? Why can't we remove them in CAS? It would have been nice as an option
    - the riding helmet hides all hairdos. Why not allow ponytails to show underneath like they did with the snowy escape climbing helmet. I guess I could use the climbing helmet for horse riding. In the sims at least, I don't think that would be a smart move in real life.
    - where are the nectar skill books?
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited January 4
    Hear me out: Why only jumping?
    Why not also barrels, water for horses and horse ball?
    Maybe even horse bed?
    Thank you.

vCBWiOv.png

oh also speaking of which: why no directing sims to watch horses playing with horse balls?
    Okay okay I'll go now and leave you at peace
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: Β»
    Great pack but now that I finally got my hands on it I have a few things I would have liked to be different.
    -unicorns : I wish unicorns would be more than just one visual effect. Unicorns are supposed to be magical or mythical creatures but for my sims there is no difference. In short I realise I am deluding myself in thinking unicorns in my game are magical. On a related note I was disappointed that the foal of two unicorns didn't inherit the horn. But I guess that shows how hollow the unicorns are. Imagine if the devs had done the same for vampires : put one pair of pointy teeth with no gameplay and called it a day. *shudders*
    - why are saddles required? Why can't we remove them in CAS? It would have been nice as an option
    - the riding helmet hides all hairdos. Why not allow ponytails to show underneath like they did with the snowy escape climbing helmet. I guess I could use the climbing helmet for horse riding. In the sims at least, I don't think that would be a smart move in real life.
    - where are the nectar skill books?

I agree with all of this. It feels unfinished. While the horses themselves are great and I have a lot of fun with them, it seems like they had little time to make anything else so they took a lot of shortcuts. Even the tack and outfit selection for horses seems scant in comparison to Cats and Dogs. There's so much more they could have had. I also wish Sims could lead a horse when they dismount.

It kind of feels like devs have been put on a skeleton crew for packs lately. Probably a result of Project Rene being in development and EA being cheap again. Sims 4 is making billions and EA won't cough up the funding for a finished pack or allow enough time for completion. But investors gotta have those luxury yachts, I guess.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Why can't we change the family name of the premades in horse ranch. I cannot change the family name of the Grove family. In other packs we could change the name of the premades.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Ziafar wrote: Β»
    Why can't we change the family name of the premades in horse ranch. I cannot change the family name of the Grove family. In other packs we could change the name of the premades.
    I can change their name. I wonder why you can't :/
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited January 23
    Ziafar wrote: Β»

Do you by any chance play in any language that is not English? Custom pronouns break sims names in non English games. Any family that has someone with custom pronouns will leave the name field blank for the entire family. I remember asking myself the same question for the Michealson family in San Seqouia. For the later packs a lot of sims names are 'broken' for non-english players. There is a bug report on answer HQ about it so you can add a 'me too' if you have the same issue. I added a picture in my second reply there with a work around that works in my game but it is an annoying bug.
  • Options
    edited January 23
    @Atreya33 I play in French. Strangely I was able to change the name of their son. I will put my "me too" in the bug report. Thank you for the explanation.

Lucky you haisin. And I cannot change the Michealson family name either. But......tadam.....Atreya33's workaround does work.
    Post edited by Ziafar on