Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wordpress. How to start for very beginners.

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    FeroshaCoutoraFeroshaCoutora Posts: 142 Member
    @MonaSolstraale Thank you! Haha, I had a lot of fun (okay and also screaming) trying to make it work. I completely get you on the plugins part. I lost the follow button and it really bummed me. I had to do a workaround that I'm still not 100% satisfied with but, sigh, it's too late now. I think you're making the right call!
    Dark Family Comedy & Paranormal Romance

r0AD3AN.jpg
  • Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,394 Member
    @FeroshaCoutora I love the dark background of your website that emphasizes the mood of your narrative.
    I have tried to post a comment on your post but I get an error

Now to the technical question....
    How do you make your dropdown (spoiler) menus on your WordPress website? Are you using a plugin or is it part of your theme?
    I know how to make links to pages and posts, but sometimes I like to insert a spoiler or a hidden piece of text as part of a text.
    I have searched the web for a guide but I am lost.
  • Options
    FeroshaCoutoraFeroshaCoutora Posts: 142 Member
    Hi @MonaSolstraale!

I have been waiting for this feature to show up on WordPress forever. You're so right; it is such a lifesaver when you want to place a spoiler or just to make scrolling through some parts of the text easier. Here's how I got it (fingers crossed this isn't just with the new WordPress):

1. I edit posts and press the little "+" button in the upper left hand of the screen (turns on the block inserter).
    2. There are a million options to insert, like headings or images, but luckily this one is only in the 5th row down, under "Text." It's called "accordion."
    3. Once you insert it, you can edit the text for the dropdown to just like you would with any other section of your post.
    4. There is some option for adding internet explorer support with javascript, but I don't really know what that means, so I don't press it.

Hopefully, this works for you!

- sorry, WordPress put your original comment in spam. I fixed it :-)
    - Also, thank you for the compliment! I'm thrilled you like the site design!

Dark Family Comedy & Paranormal Romance

r0AD3AN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @FeroshaCoutora Thanks for your great tutorial :)
    Unfortunately, your crossed fingers did not help. Accordion is not found in my text options.
    It looks like I'll need to install a plugin .... or update WordPress to version 5.9.1
    I found the guide for Follow Button Creation .
    I need to think :)

Update:
    I have updated to WP 5.9.1 now and I still can not find an Accordion option. Maybe it's because of my theme or because I use a free version of Elementor.
    XmVJjYCl.png
    I finally got an opportunity to put Previous and next Post links at the bottom of my Post. It is clearly an improvement.
    It all seems to work as it should
    Post edited by MonaSolstraale on
  • Options
    GreatlyBlessedGreatlyBlessed Posts: 18 Member
    Hello! I've been fiddling with making a wordpress blog and it is. Certainly a 'character-building' experience.

I don't think I can post links at the moment? But I named my blog 'berryblessednsb' on wordpress. I've got the Home and the Chapter List page in pretty much the shape I'd like, but then I tried making a new Post (not page, post) and I seem to have misplaced any kind of recently updated sidebar.

I swear at this rate I'm going to stop by and have a nice cup of tea with Wordpress (: and bring some arsenic. (: Just for flavor. (:
  • Options
    Hi @GreatlyBlessed You can set the sidebar under Appearance - Widgets.
    It looks like this on my page...
    QrvKNrJh.png
    You build up your sidebar with the elements you have available on the left side and drag them into your sidebar as building blocks.
    I only use my left sidebar.
    I upload all chapters as Posts and use Pages to create chapter summaries and other permanent pages.

NB: I can't remember if you are using a theme. The available Widgets may depend on your theme. You can search for extra Widgets as a free plugin.
  • Options
    @MonaSolstraale thanks for the info! My site doesn't look like that-- it might be the theme. I also cannot seem to find any widgets that don't require a plan upgrade (and therefore paying for it). Which is not something I am willing to do.

I don't think I can post pictures yet so, I'm not sure where to go from here. Half wonder if switching to Weebly is a better option at this point.
  • Options
    Okay yeah, I started looking at Weebly again and, I don't know what it is but it's making so much more sense to me than Wordpress does. I think I will NOT be using Wordpress at all.
  • Options
    Okay yeah, I started looking at Weebly again and, I don't know what it is but it's making so much more sense to me than Wordpress does. I think I will NOT be using Wordpress at all.

The most important thing is that you find a solution that is easy for you to use and appeals to you :smiley:

It's a shame you can't insert pictures yet. It might make it easier for both of us to understand each other.

Having said that, I don't understand how you keep being taken to a place where you have to pay. I know a lot of people who use a free version of wordpress without paying and they have very different expressions.
    When I once took a course in wordpress, we also used a free version. There are some personal reasons why I choose to pay for my domain, but my theme is free.
    Unfortunately, I can't help with Weebly, but I'm sure there are others you can reach out to in the network. Good luck :smiley:
  • Options
    I really appreciate your offer to help!! Even though yeah the limitations of the forum made it not really work too great. I half wonder if it's partially because of the theme I selected in Wordpress? But I ain't fighting with that any more.
  • Options
    @GreatlyBlessed Thanks! :blush:
    Let's hope that we will not all be greeted with such a trial period without permissions to share images when the new Forum starts :confused:

I am of course sorry that I cannot help you. But I hope it works out for you soon.
    I know that you can get a little impatient once you've taken the plunge. Don't be too disappointed if you don't get readers at first. It can take some time before you hit your target audience and during that time you can test your expressive possibilities. Above all, writing should be fun and challenge your creativity.

Regarding choosing a theme, it always pays to choose a theme that has an expression close to what you want to achieve. There are really many free themes to choose from if you type free theme in the search field.
    It's not like all your work disappears if you choose a different theme. You have the opportunity to test it before importing it. It is quite flexible. Your pages and posts are imported as well.
    Several themes have a free basic package with the option of additional purchases. I have never bought anything.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 6,048 Member
    Hi @GreatlyBlessed , it looks like you are a full member now and can start sharing images and such :)
  • Options
    Thanks @mightysprite! I have decided to stick to Weebly though, it's making enough sense to me to start it up. But I do really appreciate everyone's offer to help!
  • Options
    @GreatlyBlessed I'm glad you found a program that works for you :)

NB: I could recommend you to install the Follow Button. It just makes following your story that much easier for your readers. You can find a link to where you can find and copy an HTML code a little further up in this thread. There are clear instructions on the page.

I don't know Weebly, but maybe you need to install the Jetpack JSON API before it works (I should). Jetpack is a free plugin. It allows you to follow the Simlit you want (not just wordpress websites) and automatically share your own story when it is uploaded on Reader.
    (PS. Jetpack also has a paid version, but it's completely unnecessary.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top