Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Movie in the Works with Margot Robbie Producing and Kate Herron Directing

ยซ1
simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
iltz8v2bcu1d.png

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-sims-movie-margot-robbie-luckychap-1235856997/
The Sims, one of the biggest names in the computer game world, is heading to the big screen.

Kate Herron, best known for directing season one of the genre-bending Marvel series Loki, is attached to tackle an adaptation of the game in a hot package that has hit the studios and streamers this week. Herron will also co-write the screenplay with Briony Redman.

LuckyChap, the production company run by Margot Robbie, Tom Ackerly, Josey McNamara and Sophia Kerr and which is still basking in the glow of producing Barbie, will produce the feature along with Roy Lee and Miri Yoon of Vertigo Entertainment. Electronic Arts, which published the game, will also be involved in a creative and producing capacity.

Sims is a life simulation computer game where players play as an avatar that has changeable personality traits, skills, and relationships, and goes through the mundane tasks of daily life like making dinner and decorating a home. The game is built on characters having goals and aspirations. They may also, depending on the game, build out oneโ€™s family.

After the first game was released in 2000, the suburban setting of the franchise was expanded, via sequel and expansion packs, to include an almost never-ending array of settings and tones such as vacations, show business, dating, high school life, even magic and vampires. The array of characters is also in near-endless supply, though members of the Goth and Landgraab families are among the more prominent.

On some level, Sims shares similar traits as Barbie. The game has no real narrative and features characters going about their lives, albeit controlled by gameplayers. Barbie, as a toy, has no narrative, being a doll with an endless array of careers, controlled by players.

Lee, who will be in theaters this weekend with horror Late Night with the Devil, has developed similarly difficult to adapt IP with the Lego movies. Those animated features has inspired spin-offs and pulled in hundreds of millions at the box office.

For her part, Herron has shown an affinity for genre defiant material, making Loki, with its multiple timelines and worlds, into Marvelโ€™s most watched show on Disney+.

At the moment, LuckyChap is the hottest production company in Hollywood after the billion dollar success of Barbie and the meme-able R-rated Emerald Fennell title Saltburn. Coming up, the company has comedy My Old ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ, which sold out of the Sundance Film Festival to MGM Amazon.
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by simmerorigin on

Comments

• Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    edited March 21
    little late but I just read this and I wasnt sure if it was true or not. https://consequence.net/2024/03/sims-movie-margot-robbie/
    test from article

<<Following the blockbuster success of Barbie, Margot Robbie is tackling another famous IP. As first reported by Jeff Sneider and confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter, a movie based on the popular video game franchise The Sims is currently being shopped to Hollywood studios by Robbie and her LuckyChap production company.

Kate Herrnon, who helmed the first season of Loki on Disney+, is on board to direct the film, and is also co-writing the screenplay with Briony Redman.

Similar to Barbie, The Sims has no real narrative or plot to go off of. Even so, studios no doubt have faith in Robbie, who, along with director/writer Greta Gerwig, turned Barbie into a billion dollar film franchise. A bidding war between studios and streams is unfolding as we speak.

As an added bonus, plenty of musicians are noted fans of The Sims, including Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker, Japanese Breakfast, and Snail Mail, so we could also get a pretty stellar soundtrack out of this.
    It remains to be seen whether Robbie herself plans to appear in the film. She has a pretty busy schedule lined up, including a starring role opposite Ryan Gosling in an Oceanโ€™s Eleven prequel and the inevitable Barbie sequel.>>
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Big names, the Barbie movie was popular too.

But I'm not so sure about making a movie about the sims, Hollywood have become a bit infamous lately for making movies that don't follow the source material.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    They need to make it clear it's a game world, and have characters die in classic sim ways like being trapped in a pool with no ladder, or being confined in a room with no door.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    I don't like live action movies taken from video games, I remember how cringe the Warcraft movie was (and it was a massive flop too, despite WoW being still really popular even today). If they did it with CGI it could be fun. With real actors? Not for me.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited March 21
    Again?

I remember about them making The Sims Movie during The Sims 3 era, but that has gone quiet.

Yes, I remember it correctly. Here's an article on it on The Sims Wiki!

I'll bring out the plot of that cancelled movie from there:
    From The Sims Wiki:
    Pleasantview citizens are always well-mannered. But newcomer Andie starts to uncover the 'real' Pleasantview, for not only is Pleasantview full of cheating, lying, deceiving, secret-ridden people like the Goths, Don Lothario and the struggling Newbies, but they are being ruled by a greater power. Andie is terrified to discover they are stuck in a video game being played by millions universally. (From infinitesims.com ...)

We'll see how that will go. Will it be another cancelled project or will we see it in cinemas? Only time will tell.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited March 21
    I really hope its dark, strange, funny sort of film with all kinds of silly sim logic and occults. If not then meh.

I also hope they realize this fandom is ancient ๐Ÿ‘ต and don't make it too modern teenish
    โญ๏ธ AHQ Champion ๐Ÿฆ‡ Vlad Advocate ๐Ÿ‰ Team Dragons
    ๐Ÿก Gallery ๐Ÿ“– Stories ๐ŸŒ World Project ๐Ÿฅ” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    logion wrote: ยป
    Big names, the Barbie movie was popular too.

But I'm not so sure about making a movie about the sims, Hollywood have become a bit infamous lately for making movies that don't follow the source material.

Amen to that.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I don't know what to think. The rumor ran wild a few years back and then nothing. The Barbie movie was talked about for a very long time. It did come out. Have I seen it? No. Do I want to see it? No. Not my cup of tea. And from what I've heard ol' Ken got the short-shriff.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Does Ea or Maxis or theSims official have anything to do with this movie?
    Why haven't they mentioned anything about it?
    https://youtu.be/0b49F4D85_w?si=TDAJEBwcaz6HTZgg
    OMcyeNA.png
    ntDkGpb.png
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited March 21
    Does Ea or Maxis or theSims official have anything to do with this movie?
    Why haven't they mentioned anything about it?

EA is mentioned as being involved in at least one of the articles I've read on it. But as the film is still in Pre-Prodcution, they probably aren't ready to do any promotions on it yet. We might get some early promotional shots once they're starting filming, but that probably won't be for a few months yet.

Edit - it may be even longer. I just took a look at the Barbie Wikipedia page, and from the time Margot Robbie got involved to filming was three years. Granted, those years covered most of the pandemic, but I don't blame EA for not rushing to promote something we may not be seeing for a while.
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    Eleri wrote: ยป
    I wonder if the movie will be released with bugs, too? That would certainly make it feel like The Sims! ๐Ÿ˜…
    Hm . . . that would certainly be exciting to watch the Sims trying to combat world-destroying glitches in a sort of life sim apocalypse. On the other hand, I doubt EA would sign off on that.

Iโ€™d pay real simoleons to see that movie!
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    I highly doubt any character "lore" will be the focus of any hypothetical movie, especially as it isn't even important to all players who play the game. I can't see a movie studio shelling out for stories that aren't exactly totally original or unique or special.

More than likely it will have to do with something relating more directly to the concept of the Sims game itself: mind control, simulation theory, sandbox creativity.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I highly doubt any character "lore" will be the focus of any hypothetical movie, especially as it isn't even important to all players who play the game. I can't see a movie studio shelling out for stories that aren't exactly totally original or unique or special.

More than likely it will have to do with something relating more directly to the concept of the Sims game itself: mind control, simulation theory, sandbox creativity.

It would be nice to have something like an action, adventure, comedy movie where all the well known characters, with their specific lore and powers, come together for the story. They could add in a 100 baby challenge or a berry legacy household for the fun of it.
  • Options
    edited March 22
    I would be really opinionated on who they cast for Bella Goth. I am pretty sure who ever they pick I would not be happy with because I have in my mind she is just so iconic. That said I would really like Gwyneth Paltrow as Judith Ward. I saw a tik tok stating they should cast Jenna Ortega for Cassandra Goth. I think that would be a good choice.
  • Options
    Twitter has an opinion on the cast as well
    0Wtw21j.png
    9nZp71S.png
    vd68TKG.png
    58ODQSc.png
    298Ti5r.png
    qjXAUO1.png
    TnoO2fS.pngl5Kv3h9.png
  • Options
    edited March 22
    Camp I don't want anyone cast for any premade :joy: lets just not include premades unless they're in face covering costumes like social bunny or pictured from behind the whole time :joy: or so that object is covering their face
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    I'd like Maggie Q for Bella and Kit Harrington for Mortimer.
    e1p2jt7xmz8x.jpg
    9hf3t3be2x4x.jpg
    I also hope they realize this fandom is ancient ๐Ÿ‘ต and don't make it too modern teenish

@Simmingal That might be true for the franchise as a whole, but Sims 4 players are mostly young adults.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    I think no one can fill Bella's shoes but maybe Emily Ratajkowski could pull off her look and her dress3eooL7P.jpeg
  • Options
    edited March 22
    Or Gal Gadot for Bella Goth She has a complexion but would needAVJmHO6.png a little tanner make up. I really would think a tanner version of Monica Bellucci when she was younger would be perfect
    NpA7R4m.png
  • Options
    ppz83Q2.jpeg Rosario Dawson could work too
  • Options
    last option for Bella Goth: Ana de Armas Aq4PTce.png
  • Options
    edited March 22
    Eleri wrote: ยป
    @Simmingal That might be true for the franchise as a whole, but Sims 4 players are mostly young adults.
    I mean I'm YA myself and have been playing since ts1 but I just really wish being YA/teen/kid is not main theme of the movie.
    (and that theres no cringe tropes about kids and their computers)
  • Options
    ok, one more option for Bella Goth could be Zoe Kravitz 20yVUmZ.png

I think Jenna Ortega is the only option for Cassadra Goth
    C3rynji.png
    ciwRAXN.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited March 22
    I'm very skeptical about the box office, most people don't know that The Sims exist.

It's like comparing Mass Effect or Halo to Star Wars.

I think League of Legend, Minecraft and Fortnite aren't even at the same popularity level as Barbie, G.I. Joe, Transformers and Lego.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I could see a film with the Sims realising they are in a computer game and trying to get out! Much breaking the 'fourth wall' and gesturing in anger at the screen as they do now! o:)