Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-Game Pulsating Popup Packs Ad: Community Reacts

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    SimmerErin - "Team Responds: Update Controversy (Sims 4 2024)"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVyG2zp7D4Q
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    conoray1conoray1 Posts: 1 New Member
    Seriously? We have ads when we open the game. Maybe worry about fixing gameplay and having decent expansion packs. For Rent is so disappointing.
  • Options
    edited February 28
    Answers HQ thread currently has 660 Me Too's, 207 upvotes, and 17 pages of comments.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Pulsating-Shopping-Button/td-p/13519671

JN1F5Sl.png

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Pixelade - "EA is Killing The Sims! (HUGE Backlash Addressed!)"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uqA0nk5m2w
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    If they want me to buy more content, they'd need to make better content. Anything I currently don't have I wouldn't even get for free because it's nothing that interests me. Way too much boring every day stuff.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I have the button, but it never was pulsing for me. I thought it was because there is only one thing I haven't bought (Bust the Dust) Turns out, I was just lucky.

Do I want it? Heck no. Does it intrude on my gameplay? No, but I still don't want it there. It will not encourage me to buy anything. I'll either buy it when I'm good and ready (Crystal Creations) or I'm not buying it at all, and no amount of in-game prompting is going to make me buy anything faster - or at all if I'm not interested.

Waste of programer time, in my opinion.
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Latest from TheSimsDirect:

REPRchU.jpeg
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    That's a start, now remove that button all together. Seriously, in the main menu we already can directly link to the store to buy all this stuff. Don't be so needy, just let us play the game in peace.
  • Options
    Cassandra52182Cassandra52182 Posts: 525 Member
    Great now either remove it from the game completely or keep it to the home screen, take it out of gameplay nobody wants it there.
    yqCsdo8.gif
  • Options
    RowanBDARowanBDA Posts: 1 New Member
    For the first time in literal years, I was considering purchasing a Stuff Pack *at full price* upon release. Now, I'm playing my game in offline mode because I refuse to update until this is addressed.

I highly doubt that EA will ever greenlight the removal of the button - it would be too much of a concession to the playerbase - but if its going to be a permanent feature of the in-game UI, at least make it as non-invasive as possible.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    A could live with the non-pulsating shopping button if there was an exciting shop à la TS3 behind it :D
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I am dissapointed,I think having advertising in the games is a bit too far.
  • Options
    SimTwylaSimTwyla Posts: 1 New Member
    I own every single pack, and I STILL think this is awful. No one needs unnecessary clutter on their game screen like that. Its way too in your face and needs to go.
  • Options
    pvrescue1pvrescue1 Posts: 61 Member
    unreviewable 1

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't like being inundated with ads while trying to play The Sims. When I want to play a game, I just want to play that game. This button is complete trash. Not only that – I'd go far to say it's the worst addition to The Sims 4 in its 10-year history. To add fuel to the fire, you can't even cancel the pulsating which is not only obnoxious but also risks being harmful for those with light sensitivities. And given what's been teased about Rene, I fear that we'll only see more intrusive in-game advertising in the future.
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    I had the Better Build Buy mod it and I think was the cause of overlapping ui on top. With the update , now BBB is out of date. It can be an incidental fix if you can't stand the shopping cart. MJWcNub.jpg
    But you have to be top tier simmer to have memorized the top panel functions to play the game this way.
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member

Don't want the cart.
    Don't need the cart.
    Won't use the cart.
    Cart is part of the reason that I will not buy the new stuff pack and will avoid the update as long as possible.
    Fix the game.
    Remove the cart.
    Truthfully, I am all out of good will.
    Spending any more of my budgeted entertainment money on this game is out of the question at this point in time.

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Meh. Am I playing the sims or shopping online? Will they be giving us an option next where we can pay extra to remove the ad?
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    I think that one of the best stuff pack ever will always feel tainted because it came out at the same time as this unhealthy addition to the game. I was so excited for this new pack. Probably the most excited that I was ever about a new pack. Now I am just sad.

Maybe I will try and load my game and see if I am one of the "lucky" people that has a shopping cart that does not pulsate. I am afraid to even look, though. What if it does? How long before console gets a fix? It is better not to know for certain. Like avoiding a doctor appointment to delay hearing a diagnosis. I will just do homework again tonight.
  • Options
    felizpebblefelizpebble Posts: 1 New Member
    Great, glad the flashing is going, now get rid of the whole button please! I have never posted on these forums but I had to make an account just to voice how much I dislike this new "feature".

There is a time and a place for promoting DLC, and it's not when we are trying to immerse ourselves in gameplay. We do not need this UI clutter. I was looking forward to the new DLC (and I have them all except Batuu) but after seeing this shameless attempt to prioritise profits over player experience, I refuse to invest any further in this game.

If this type of intrusive, in-game marketing is indicative of what's to come with Project Rene, count me out, regardless of whether it's free or not.
  • Options
    pvrescue1pvrescue1 Posts: 61 Member
    Meh. Am I playing the sims or shopping online? Will they be giving us an option next where we can pay extra to remove the ad?

It's all just a shopping game. :p
  • Options
    KylynaraKylynara Posts: 1 New Member
    I want to point out that for many even most of us, this is NOT a free to play game. We paid for the base game years before they reduced the price to free. The Expansion Packs cost as much as most new games. Most people playing the Sims have $100s of dollars into the game buying expansions.

Yes, the game is 10 years old and they have gradually reduced the price of the base game and now it is free. That's not unreasonable, but if they are going to treat this game like it's free to play and force ads on the player base like this, then they owe some sort of restitution to those of us who bought it under the impression that we were buying a standard game that you purchase and then have the game.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    Screenshot-20240227-190817-2.png

hahaha seems Saiwa and Jack are the meme for the shopping cart madness now omg!
    I posted the pic of them along with my rant post on AHQ and they also made it in SimmerErin's latest video ^^'
    I really hope seeing them cry softens EA's greedy heart and they stop this.
    Since almost 25 years I already spent so much money on the Sims games and now this. I really don't deserve being tortured with this blinking nightmare (I'm autistic with ADHD, it is utter torture).
    d19e43e62dc48cdd469802f2fbbf3c46a46fe762.jpg

f5475930d24526522a1daa263639a625d27d3b9a.pnj

d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    SkipInklingSkipInkling Posts: 84 Member
    I work professionally in online accessibility. That flashing nonsense is not okay. What were y'all thinking? Fix it.
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    Patch notes are now up for the emergency patch here.
    • Fixed the cart button to correct an issue that was causing it to animate for longer and more frequently than intended.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Patch notes are now up for the emergency patch here.
    • Fixed the cart button to correct an issue that was causing it to animate for longer and more frequently than intended.

Longer and more frequently than intended.

What I take from that is that it will still animate, and therefore still poses a potential hazard to the large number of people who pointed out that this was an issue.

@EA_Cade, please tell me I am misunderstanding this.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls