Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much are you playing For Rent?

It’s getting on for two months since For Rent came out and I’m really curious as to how much those who bought the pack are actually using it. From what I’ve read, it seems that a lot of simmers are avoiding using the pack, and some are even uninstalling it. I personally haven’t touched the main tenant/landlord or rental content since I first tried it when it came out, but I have been using some of the BB, CAS and lot challenges. I haven’t actually experienced any bugs or problems in my game so far.

So how much are you using the pack right now? It would be interesting to know if your decision is based on what you’ve experienced personally (too many bugs or broken saves) or because you’ve been put off by what you’ve read others have experienced. Or if you are playing with tenants/landlords/rentals, are you actually experiencing any bugs? Our answers will hopefully all change whenever they fix the bugs.

This poll is really for those who bought the pack, but I’ve added an option for those who don’t have it so everyone can join in.

How much are you playing For Rent? 118 votes

I haven’t bought the pack.
35%
IcewolfColorist40suetoopxoJessiIsb917haneulMariefoxprice83SerraNolwenbluelightingSweetBexiClassicalSimAdria22pammiechickDoloresGreyLyrieEnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggeLiELFZiafarBhawkins0402 42 votes
I bought the pack but I’m not using any of its content in my game/have uninstalled the pack.
5%
heiblumeaktexgreydonnSimplyJenHearts4uAmapola76 6 votes
I bought the pack but I’m not using any of the tenant/landlord/rental content.
35%
crocobauraCK213bshag4lvBreeSashaKita5399IrishSimmer21OolonglongWrenryakirabauschsimlish1elanorbretonsimgirl1010SqueekerloubyloulouAncientMusePinkHairGuitarKhrisstynekiwi84lanlynChampandGirlie 42 votes
I bought the pack and am playing with everything.
15%
BluegayleSara1010Pbandit5Strangerthanfreindlylolcchant86drake_mccartyalanmichael1DarkLady2788WndblwzSelinaKylesQuaayHorrorgirl6RedShoe7TTNsimmerRememberJoyTheFlyingGentlemanBreathe_No_More 18 votes
Other.
8%
GalacticGalMichelleWLavasm77maggiemae8135goodcakebaker62sillyangel0906SheriSim57SimTrippyFatTribble23lucombre 10 votes

Comments

• Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    edited February 3
    I’m only using BB, CAS and some lot challenges. I’m avoiding using the rental system right now because I’m worried about doing lasting damage to my saves. I’m really looking forward to the issues being fixed.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I love the Build Mode Objects, CAS & Traits. However, I feel like it's like an extremely expensive Stuff Pack instead of an Expansion Pack due to the new Apartment Rental & Tomarang being glitchy. I've even advice my daughter not to get the pack yet until it's finally fixed. She agreed to wait.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I did play as a landlord for a couple of days after release. I used one of the residential rentals that came with the game. There wasn't much noise about the bugs then but I stopped because my sim had too many other things on her plate and just didn't have time to be a landlord.

I am enjoying some of the other features though.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

We weren't interested in the landlord stuff even before release so we never touched it.
    But we moved to Tomarang and live there. The world is amazing and the build buy awesome <3
    38e82f0f9de2c6def2cb980aee11e8f1c1a830a9.jpg

The only problems I have is that the games sometimes crashes while I build in Tomarang, which doesn't happen when I build in other worlds.
    And the lot is not even a rental residential.
    0d3f04a8d542b3037474ee110c78383f6107d961.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    Interesting that the game crashes when building in Tomarang — I didn’t realise that was a problem too. But Tomarang is definitely very beautiful.
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I haven't bought the pack in part because I'm waiting for a sale as it's not a must-have for me, but also because I'm terrified of the current bugs messing with the save-file and slowly working on.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    Won't buy untill big bugs are fixed.
    World interests me very little, so this time that is not tempting me either. It will serve 100% as vacation destination in my game, whenever it is I buy it :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    When I first got the pack, I spent a few days playing it "as intended" to get a feel for the game. Since then, I built a few Residential rentals that I'll move sims into so that they have a place/get them out of my main sim household, but otherwise I just use the CAS/BB stuff. I haven't even spent all that much time in Tomarang.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    I bought the pack but I’m not using any of its content in my game/have uninstalled the pack.
    I'm not even using the CAS/BB assets bc I'll probably be uninstalling the pack in a week.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I tried some of the tenant/landlord/rental content but stopped playing those in fear of triggering bugs. I am playing with other content though!
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    I decided not to buy it (the FIRST time I've ever not bought an expansion pack on release) because I was busy playing Baldur's Gate 3 (an AMAZING game which shows how EA rips us off). Then I heard about the bugs and still didn't buy because of that. How they could release a game FULL of game breaking glitches and two months later NOT fix them? Are you kidding? I won't buy until they fix everything. Even if they give it away, I'm not sure I'll get it because of all the problems.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    I tested the rental content in a separate mod free save when I got the pack, but it was very glitchy and not rewarding at all, so I quit fast. I also was unable to get rid of the two premade rental lots in Tomerang no matter how hard I tried.
    I did not have a save corrupted by the pack, but I gave it no chance for it to happen. I never touched the premade rental lots in Tomerang or built my own rental in any save I played in. I also only once changed a rental back to residential (which corrupted build mode until I rebuilt the entire lot, which isn't feasible If you play a lot you spent a Long Time building and decorating) and I never had a tenant die in a rental.
    I never had mold again after I changed the lot type to residential.
    I was able to build a Residential lot in the beach lot in Tomerang without issues.

I have no plans to ruin my save and there's not much to explorer, so after testing I got back to my regular save where I do not touch the Rental aspect at all.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I bought the pack for the bonus content knowing I wouldn't be touching the game just yet. I'm avoiding playing because of the corrupted save reports. Yes, I really should have waited. This is how they hook people. My only interest in the game right now is building or starting a new challenge which I would still be building for so I guess I'll have to wait with everyone else. I wasn't going to patch or install the pack right away but I switched around some drives and had to install Sims 4 again.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    Before release, I wanted to buy it. Even after I saw how small and rabbit-hole-filled the world is, I was still thinking I’d buy it because I really wanted the residential rentals. But once the bug reports started pouring in, I realized I’d have to forget about it for now. Now I’ll wait until it’s on sale, and I’ll only buy it then if the major bug are fixed.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    I played for like a week and made some residential rentals, but I never got to play with it because of all the bugs. I haven't touched my game in nearly 2 months. Hoping for a patch to fight against the save corruption issues before I pick up the game again.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I bought the pack and am playing with everything.
    I have played as a renter and a landlord, but put my landlord gameplay and building of other residential lots on hold until they get some of these bugs under control. I have not experienced them yet, but am trying to do as little as possible to produce them in my game.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited February 3
    I got the pack but I play rotational with a long-term save so for my own reasons, I've been playing elsewhere and hadn't gotten to the rental/landlord features of this pack yet. But I heard about these bugs and in the interest of continuing with my save, I've been focusing on other households because I figured that they will patch in fixes for For Rent. I'd especially want the ability to switch lots back to residential because of the dynamic style that I play. I am however fine with leaving the original For Rent residential rentals as they are.

In terms of this pack, I made a vacation rental in the house that comes with Morensong that originally has a mold lot challenge. I decided to switch the mold off and made it a vacation spot. I've sent several groups there already and honestly I enjoy Tomarang for vacations but my sims tend to be travelers so they hop around to different places. With several groups, I've sent them sightseeing around the different features. They tend to frequent the night market a lot. I've also sent them to the lounge in Koh Sahpa but currently all of my travelers have been staying at that one place in Morensong which has been working for them. I added the grill cart there and I mean, I think it adds to the atmosphere. I am sure they have the fruit bowl too. They don't need the sun shade but it might find a use elsewhere in Tomarang.

I really don't mind that the streets are quiet because I interpret that as part of the culture there that locals don't tend to walk around casually like they used to be a dictatorship or something. I've sent a few groups to the tiger sanctuary and I will say that it was a different experience each time even though it's a Jungle Adventure rabbithole. I'd love seeing real tigers but I still send sims there as part of any trip. I also like the botanical garden and various landmarks. There are things to do for all ages and actually most of my travelers have brought children along to explore and play hopscotch with locals in one of the parks.

I am waiting on patches to play with more of this pack but it's on my agenda when I have time. I'll build more there and I can definitely say that more of my sims will be going there even just as travelers. I'll also use these rental features elsewhere when this gets fixed. I could see playing with it in my main save or in a new one but I'd definitely have a new back-up save when doing that. My main save is getting a bit crowded but I'd still want to use this there and actually I see it as a good solution for managing sims in a large rotation so I look forward to the major bug fixing.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 3
    I use the pack all the time, including the rental properties. However, I have yet to play landlord, as none of my sims fit the bill right now. Several of them have been tenants, however, and that has worked just fine. I love the pack, BB, CAS and the ability of making my own apartments. I also have not played at all with the world, as it has not yet suited the game I'm playing.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    Lavasm77Lavasm77 Posts: 33 Member
    Other.
    Gordy wrote: »
    I played for like a week and made some residential rentals, but I never got to play with it because of all the bugs. I haven't touched my game in nearly 2 months. Hoping for a patch to fight against the save corruption issues before I pick up the game again.

This was exactly my answer too. :/
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I did not purchase the pack because it was not in a state that I find acceptable for a AAA game company. I don't agree with some of EA's decisions or handling of the franchise and I feel that the packs have been downgrading in quality lately, so I'm just holding higher standards before handing over my money. I still play the game and enjoy it, but I just need to put my foot down (and my credit card) in circumstances when I feel it's necessary.

If/when they fix the issues with For Rent, then I will look again at purchasing it. In the meantime, I have enough content in my game that still needs exploring, so I'm fine to do that (or play something different like Baldur's Gate) until the pack is properly fixed. Hopefully that won't take too much longer, I feel bad for the people who already bought it and have to wait it out or uninstall.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited February 4
    Other.
    I bought the pack but haven’t played for over a week now. I’m tired of playing a practice save. I don’t want to corrupt my main save or my scenario save. I was so excited about For Rent before It came out. Now I have pretty much put my game on hold, I don’t want lots in my game corrupted. I haven’t purchased the goth kit or castle kit because I’m waiting for For Rent to be fixed. But, I’m am excited to get them after For Rent is fixed.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I've pretty much washed my hands of this EP for now.

I jumped at buying the pack with the excitement of building and playing in multi-family lots. During those first couple of days, I set up a shiny new save (mod and cc free) and renovated two premade lots in Tomarang. Then I set up a new tenant family in one of the pre-builds (didn't want to play as a landlord just yet) so that I could play test any new builds and try out the new rental features to see how it all works.

But within a few days after learning about all the bugs, save corruptions, etc I stopped everything immediately and deleted that new save. I've also completely stopped any and all multi-family builds.... setting any lot to 'residential rental' has been proven to cause game corrupting issues, so I'm not taking any risks, nor do I want to upload anything to the gallery and risk breaking other peoples' games too.

At this point, I've only played with some of the CAS and BB items from the pack. I will not touch the world of Tomarang or any of the EP's rental features with a ten foot pole until these dire game breaking bugs are fixed and proven to be safe before proceeding any further.

I've invested an exorbitant amount of money into this game (going on $1200 at this point) and am not willing to waste my time and energy having to repair/replace/recreate 10 years worth of my existing saves, households, or builds.... Spending endless hours searching the internet trying to find answers on how to fix things? No thanks.

All these headaches just because some upstairs 'suits' decided that ample quality control procedures are no longer a necessary expenditure?

I weep for the future of this game.... :|

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    After what I've experienced with For Rent, I wish I never purchased it. Chatted with an EA rep and had them uninstall the EP. Moving forward, I'll be more prudent about future purchases.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I was a little interested in the pack when I first heard of it because I thought it would be fun to have a pack to play with over the holidays and build apartment complexes but the world didn't felt designed for that at all with so many small lots, the features like breaking in and snooping on other sims felt lacking as well to me.

When I saw that there was bugs as well I lost interest. The buy early grill item looked kinda nice but it's just not worth it. The sims 4 can be a very demanding game to play where you as a player have to create everything around yourself and to do that you need creativity and energy, if I encounter bugs like this pack have then all that goes away for me.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 4
    and will not buy the pack as long as there is even smallest chance it will corrupt saves or lots.

I was excited for the pack (and am sad about missing limited items)
    but its just not worth totally destroying my saves
    and really I cannot take another dumpster fire of a pack right now
    I'm still recovering from the last few sim apocalypses
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free