Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope we get open worlds in this game.

Comments

• Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    I want open worlds to return in some capacity in the TS5, but I do believe it should not use TS3 as its template.

I think that with the advances computers have had since 2009, it would be very cheap to go with a Sims 3 template for anything. I certainly hope they are starting from scratch creating the program.

I agree with a lot you said. Rabbitholes were a cheap solution to their inability to program an active community lot. I definitely hope sims 5 does away with them. That being said, I wouldn't mind if initially there are rabbitholes, or places where your Sims disappear off the map for, as long as they are eventually opened up and become an active lot.

I still would be enjoying TS3, except that it takes nearly 30 minutes to open up a saved game. I know custom content played into that, but TS3 did have its technical flaws. It's one of the reasons I'm so eager for a new open world Simulation game to come out. The question is which company will that one be?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Thetford wrote: »
    I never understand the complaint about habit holes.Most of them were career lots .It's not like at four you could visit going to military baae, restaurant in the base game either

I find that the problem was that half of your "downtown" were these dead buildings where Sims vanish in the ether and interact with nothing else. This was especially notable given that many of these would be customer facing venues IRL (the grocery store, bookstore, spa, theatre, diner, bistro), and some of these were open in TS2 (Grocery stores and restaurants), and never rectified it to any meaningful extent (we got a cash register in WA, and a store content bistro oven).

This also brings the question of do we need these rabbit holes in the world? How much would people's experience change if the carpool just drove Sims to the edge of the world, beyond the view of the camera or into a tunnel and despawned, reappearing at the end of their shift? It would've avoided all the routing issues of many Sims trying to enter the same building at once. It would also avoid the weird immersion breaking issues of having the nation's President operate out of a small town's city hall, or an international spy operating out of a local police department, and the opposite end of the spectrum where a quaint small suburban town suddenly had to accommodate a major sports arena, military airfield and a nine storey corporate headquarters - it seems even the developers got sick of this in later worlds as they started to merge many of them together. And I suspect it is why we got a very limited number of new rabbit hole careers after the base game: only four new rabbit hole workplaces: the film studio, fortune-tellers wagon, the stellar observatory and the plumbot arena - all other new careers were squeezed into existing rabbit holes, even where it doesn't really make sense, such as the art appraiser operating out of the criminal warehouse, even though only one branch of the career is criminal.
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    TBH yeah haha. And the bistro in TS3 you had the choice to sit outside and eat your food.

Which had no waiters, Sims just went in, then back out again with a random plate of food, and sit themselves at a random table, not necessarily with whoever they came with. The Bistro was a glorified vending machine.
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    There were so many other lots that weren't rabbit holes, so I personally don't mind some only having a pop up screen to shop or waiting till they exit.

Which brings us to the other half of your downtown. These random, generic lots that have no special function aside from encouraging Sims to do certain activities more frequently. There was nothing special or unique about them, nothing that was otherwise unaccessible to Sims on your home lot. Gym equipment and books aren't that expensive in the Sims 3 so rarely would you need to go to the gym or the library, likewise the art gallery or the park offered anything you couldn't do at home. This is a problem that persists in the Sims 4. The main, and arguably only, function of these lots is to meet other Sims.

Way back, in the Sims 1 (and to a lesser extent, the Sims 2), there were specific and exclusive activities that could only be done on community lots. There were carnival games, dining, shops and services, things that you couldn't do at home. If you wanted to progress in game or magic, you HAD to go to their respective subhoods. They had unique NPCs that provided services and just generally added character to the world.

I want open worlds to return in some capacity in the TS5, but I do believe it should not use TS3 as its template.

I do not think if they do bring back open worlds or open neighborhoods it will not be that template if anything they may expand on Sims 4 template and give extras as well. As said technology has advanced very quickly since 2014 and since they will be on a 64-bit platform, they should be able to do more, much more that what Sims 4 offer even if Sims 4 converted to a 64-bit platform but the advances still will skip Sims 4 as they did not do much with it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    I mean the sims 4 has generic lots too haha. the new recreation center is a glorified gym/library in one. I think that is just a sims thing in general haha.
  • Options
    popcorn52popcorn52 Posts: 15 Member
    i like open worlds
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I care less about open worlds/neighborhoods and more about the ability to create my own. If I ever have to use a Maxis made world/neighborhood again, it will be too soon.
  • Options
    waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    The only disadvantage of an open world would probably be fewer players because lots of people may not have the best computers to run a detailed open world in the best quality. They need to have a good dedicated graphics card. This will of course limit the consumer base to regular gamers instead of just people who game casually or occasionally.
  • Options
    SimzSizzleSimzSizzle Posts: 433 Member
    yea it is kind of strange to get close to a building and have to travel to get there when you can click on it.
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    I wouldn't mind an open world, but only if we can travel to other worlds like we can in TS4. I don't want to be stuck playing in only one world. If that is the case, I would prefer being able to travel to other worlds with no open world vs playing in only one world with it being an open world.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    The main drawback I saw with open worlds in TS3, apart from not being able to travel between worlds, was that they were very empty. All sims went straight home after work and if you visited any community lot they were empty either because all sims were at work, or because they were at home. I don't care if there are sims living next door, nor do I care to see them going to work in the morning. I can click on their door and load their lot if needed, the computer resources required to load a single lot are significantly lower than to load an entire neighbourhood. I prefer to see lively community lots with lots of sims, not the ghost towns of TS3. And I won't speak of how fun the rabbit holes were when you travelled all across the neighborhood to arrive and stare at a building.
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I don't particularly want open world, considering the potential performance issue of trying to make an open world with enough sims in it to feel full, and how much I like being able to travel from one world to another in Sims 4. However, I really wish we could get open neighborhoods, loading a few lots at a time so we can have part of our household doing one thing while some other sims are somewhere else and actually controlling them. This way, I could send a child sim to their neighbor's to play with other kids while controlling the rest of the family, have family members or roommates go to different community lots on a day out downtown or something. I'd also love multi-type community lots, for similar reason as well as the possibility of sims actually living above their business, for example.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Can we please stop thinking the reasons travel between worlds because the world's are close? Sims 2 did not travel between worlds either.
  • Options
    Can we please stop thinking the reasons travel between worlds because the world's are close? Sims 2 did not travel between worlds either.

Why stop thinking that? It's a legitimate reason. Some of us prefer having the option to travel between worlds that are not open vs 1 single open world. We are all entitled to our views and opinions.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    rjssim wrote: »

Why stop thinking that? It's a legitimate reason. Some of us prefer having the option to travel between worlds that are not open vs 1 single open world. We are all entitled to our views and opinions.

Because we're assuming that if the game is open world .It means you won't be able to travel.When in reality there is no proof that cant do that with open world.
  • Options
    rjssim wrote: »

Because we're assuming that if the game is open world .It means you won't be able to travel.When in reality there is no proof that cant do that with open world.

Oh okay, I see what you mean. Yeah, I think it would be cool if it were both open world and we were able to travel between worlds.
  • Options
    passionfruitpassionfruit Posts: 180 Member
    > @rjssim said:
    > I wouldn't mind an open world, but only if we can travel to other worlds like we can in TS4. I don't want to be stuck playing in only one world. If that is the case, I would prefer being able to travel to other worlds with no open world vs playing in only one world with it being an open world.

I must say I agree.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    I always thought I’d hate not having open worlds in TS4, but when I go back to TS3 now, I get impatient with the amount of running around you have to do. Also, I do love being able to travel between worlds. That actually makes the game seem bigger, imo, because we’re not stuck in one environment. I hate hitting a loading screen to go across the street, though, so at the minimum I would want open neighborhoods. If smaller, but open, TS4 type worlds that you could travel between are possible, that would be great. However, I’m not jumping in to any new game until the feature set supports my play style, which isn’t likely for awhile.
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    edited November 2023
    If we're not getting a real open world in Project Rene/The Sims 5, I hope that we'll at least get a open neighborhood without any loading screens, especially when you're going to a lot located in that same neighborhood. 🥲
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    Diamondback7TCDiamondback7TC Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2023
    Probably the reason why The Sims 4 doesn't have an open world like The Sims 3... Is because it's played on console, too.
    We probably won't get open worlds again until consoles can handle it.
    Sims 1-3 were intended specifically for computers, not consoles. So, they could do things consoles can't handle.

Perhaps the future of Sims is consoles, not computers. I mean... You get more in a console of the same price than you get in a modern computer of that price, such as better graphics. So, I think gaming companies want us on consoles.

And, computers stopped improving. But, consoles are gradually catching up with computers.

Game companies probably want us to ditch computers for consoles, because consoles have less hacking, and less hardware tampering.

So, my point is, we probably won't see open worlds in future sims games until consoles can handle it. So, Sims 5 probably doesn't have an open world.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    For Sims 5 I hope the worlds aren’t connected by default but as an option instead. It can be nice to travel between them, but it’s caused worlds to get progressively smaller and smaller over time. If I have a Sim living in one world I find it annoying having to travel to some completely different region for a basic task just because I can’t have it their home region without sacrificing another lot.

I’d prefer to see open worlds instead of closed ones. A world builder would be excellent but I don’t think we’ll see something like that ever again.
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    Probably the reason why The Sims 4 doesn't have an open world like The Sims 3... Is because it's played on console, too.
    Sims 1-3 were intended specifically for computers, not consoles. So, they could do things consoles can't handle.

Perhaps the future of Sims is consoles, not computers. I mean... You get more in a console of the same price than you get in a modern computer of that price, such as better graphics. So, I think gaming companies want us on consoles.

And, computers stopped improving. But, consoles are gradually catching up with computers.

Game companies probably want us to ditch computers for consoles, because consoles have less hacking, and less hardware tampering.

So, my point is, we probably won't see open worlds in future sims games until consoles can handle it. So, Sims 5 probably doesn't have an open world.

There's a whole market for games on PC because of the older generation, who are the largest demographic (the larger families from the 50's - 80's grown up and old), whom while working on their daily activities on their PC's, like a distraction or two on that, and have the money to spend on it. PC's offer the comfort of the home office environment with the ergonomic furniture and hardcopy reference material within easy reach. Take the team meeting on the Zoom or whatever, on the laptop or desktop, while Sims is going on, on the other, on the side/return section of the desk ... you're not a cat but you've had 20 showers and burnt the lobster.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

No offense but this doesn’t make sense. There were tons of open world games released on last gen consoles. Assassins Creed Odyssey, Assassins Creed Origins, Witcher 3, GTA5 … just to name a few and all of those games make Sims 3 maps look very small. Those games also have way more crowd simulation going on across the map.

Sims 4 wasn’t designed for consoles, it was out for 3 years on PC before it even came to consoles. I don’t see how consoles are a limiting factor when they are very powerful little machines, especially current gen consoles.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The sims 4 was not an open world because they took what was the basis of project Olympus, which was originally meant to be an online game (where you can only control one sim). It has nothing to do with consoles haha. It was meant to be an online multiplayer game like The Sims online, but they scrapped it and turned the remains into TS4 in literally like one years time. TS4 was never meant to exist in the way it does, it was most likely due to the failure of EA's prior game Sim City (2013), that had a terrible failure of a launch (it required online access to play and feature multi-player but the severs didn't work from being so bombarded with players rendering the game unplayable at launch and making it one of the worst game launches, like, ever lol.)

There are some videos that go into the detail of it on YouTube if you want to know more depth of it.

If you want a familiar face to discuss and you like plumbella, they did a great video explaining it with all the research, receipts, etc.
    Post edited by Coconut27 on
  • Options
    Rob1992Rob1992 Posts: 56 Member
    I want open world somewhere between the sims 2 size and ease of travel, and the sims 3 potential of expansiveness. But just like in the sims 3 you can just have the devs make small pack worlds and give the community the *option* to make large expansive worlds with all possible lots and features that their collection of packs allows. Like how some people made smaller worlds, but at the same time you have large worlds like rflong7's legacy island that had everything possible crammed in there.
    You don't need to make it a large sprawling mess by default, but the option has to be there for people who want to. Also as a reminder, back in the sims 2 you could just click the house next door to you and hit "load household" and it'd switch over without jumping to the world view. If they make a modernised version of S3CAW it would be grand. They could even implement a thing if they wanted to that allows you to agree to automatically download any free missing content needed to load the map from trusted sources (whatever the equivalent of the exchange would be)
  • Options
    Rob1992Rob1992 Posts: 56 Member
    > @Coconut27 said:
    > The sims 4 was not an open world because they took what was the basis of project Olympus, which was originally meant to be an online game (where you can only control one sim). It has nothing to do with consoles haha. It was meant to be an online multiplayer game like The Sims online, but they scrapped it and turned the remains into TS4 in literally like one years time. TS4 was never meant to exist in the way it does, it was most likely due to the failure of EA's prior game Sim City (2013), that had a terrible failure of a launch (it required online access to play and feature multi-player but the severs didn't work from being so bombarded with players rendering the game unplayable at launch and making it one of the worst game launches, like, ever lol.)
    >
    > There are some videos that go into the detail of it on YouTube if you want to know more depth of it.
    >
    > If you want a familiar face to discuss and you like plumbella, they did a great video explaining it with all the research, receipts, etc.

Pretty sure it also crashed and burned because the majority didn't want a singleplayer game to be so disgustingly forcibly online that it'd autoclose if it lost internet connection for 5 minutes, They tried to use the whole "it's to combat piracy" argument but that was also proven moot within a week or so. EA has a habbit of trying to make things that shouldn't be always online, always online and they keep being surprised that it fails.
  • Options
    yeah exactly haha @Rob1992