Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How family friendly should The Sims be?

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,581 Member
    edited July 2023
    Something else (let us know in the comments below)
    While I don't really need spicy more than it already is, (although the animations could use some tweaking) what I miss is the percentages that made one unsure if being electrocuted while fixing something might well be the end of your Sim. Currently, your Sim can only be killed that way, if they continue to fix while in a dazed state from being shocked moments before. Doesn't need to be one shock and your Sim is dead. But more like it was in Sims2. A twenty to thirty per cent chance of death. I lost Sims from being frightened to death by a ghost. The ghosts that were introduced in Sims3 were too much like Casper, the Friendly Ghost. And, sadly, that's what was brought forward. Not at all scary. Some are finding it possible to be struck by lightning and the Sim dies. That's either a mod, or the percentage rate is way higher in their game. I've had several Sims get struck by lightning, some of them more than once in the same evening, and yet nobody has dropped dead. If there was a certain percentage your Sim could perish being struck by lightning, it would certainly make their fear of it credible.

I'm not the maven of death, please don't get me wrong. But without a sense a Sim could very well die in certain circumstances, there is little to no tension in the game. This milk-toast approach to a life simulation makes Sims2 was almost like walking through a mine field, in comparison.

Suffer me to say Sims2 was far more challenging whereas Sims 3 & 4 for the most part just isn't.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    There is already too much spice and crime in The Sims to be family friendly!
    I'm surprised to be the only one to vote that it is already not really family-friendly, like I am the only one got game taken away as a kid after failing to stop that one video sequence from TS2 LoL. Anyway, I think the "adult" themes vary greatly. Death, illnesses and misfortunes I consider a must in TS series while some other themes... I'm totally good with how they were in TS2, for example, but I think there is a line there, like I do not appreciate the option of casual intercourses or graphic scenes in games; some complicated social problems I also would like to be left out, although TS never tried to go this direction anyway.
  • Options
    OccultmasterOccultmaster Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2023
    I'd like it more spicy/adult and would totally buy an adult pack!
    Potsae wrote: »
    I'm surprised to be the only one to vote that it is already not really family-friendly, like I am the only one got game taken away as a kid after failing to stop that one video sequence from TS2 LoL. Anyway, I think the "adult" themes vary greatly. Death, illnesses and misfortunes I consider a must in TS series while some other themes... I'm totally good with how they were in TS2, for example, but I think there is a line there, like I do not appreciate the option of casual intercourses or graphic scenes in games; some complicated social problems I also would like to be left out, although TS never tried to go this direction anyway.

Well... what my parents didn't know, didn't hurt them, if they knew it about it, it probably would've been taken away, even if they did find out about The Sims, I've been grounded more times then I could count for less by then, a week without video games isn't really much of a punishment, since I knew I'd get it back eventually, due to my aversion to sunlight and fresh air, going outside was more of a punishment for me,

However I agree the Sims was never kid friendly and that was part of it's appeal.
  • Options
    metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    I'm up for an adult pack... but let's face it, they won't get away from the "Family friendly" rating that Sims 4 has. Dealing with adult subjects (crime, violence, drugs, etc...) is hard, and I'm not saying anything about the woohoo subject.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Options
    ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 371 Member
    edited July 2023
    I like it just as it is.
    Would love to see more spice in TS4 and project Rene similiar to what we had in the older Sims games
    And have more interactions what happens when someone cheats or even flirts with another and their significant other catches or hears about it
    You can bring back romantic interactions like kissing back without changing the rating Look at Gomez and Morticia Addams the way Gomez kisses her when she speaks to him in French or Spanish
    Burglers, police, firemen, brawls, death from nature occults or sims, the stripper in the birthday cake, heart bed please please
    More risque clothes, interactions and drama is needed in 4 and in Rene like there was in the older games for pc and console
    You can add switches to turn on and off is there a way to keep the T and be a bit more spicy yes

But the way people are targeting game companies about violence nudity language etc in games if more spice is added they would want the rating changing and that is why I don't want the game to change I like it that it is a T rating but still believe that you can add more spice to the game without it changing its rating
  • Options
    LindaD2015LindaD2015 Posts: 141 Member
    I have mixed feelings. I would like to see the interactions from older sims games return. I think it needs to stay Sims though & not go to a mature rating. There should be the burglars, the clepto maids & neighbors who decide they'll pocket something when their in your sims house. The goose interaction (I believe that was a playstation game), the heart shaped hot tub, vampires that break in in the middle of the night for a drink while your sim sleeps. It used to be that way when the pack 1st came out.
    It is true that I don't like the blur effect but I use mods for that and I don't think it should be removed from the game. I find it useful for certain circumstances.
    I also miss the shower together. I don't remember which game it was added to though I do know that the first update it was removed. Definitely a cheating spouse should receive a slap in the face! The anger that the wronged spouse had lasted a good 2 or 3 days and there would be yelling. There would also be another slap in the face if their cheating spouse spoke with someone else even if it was innocent. There was also the anger directed at the sim that cheated with the cheater even to the point of them being an enemy.
    There are missed opportunities in the sims 4 for deaths. They don't need to be graphic but they should be there. It might also be nice if there were a sims version of a defibrillator so if a family had one they could try to revive their loved one.
    The pop on the behind is fine with me & I don't think it is too much. I know that kids tend to not register a lot of mature content. The reason I say this is 'Bugs Bunny'. The cartoon had a lot of mature content but most kids didn't even notice until they were older and rewatched it. Keep it teen rated but bring back the old sims feel.
  • Options
    Madie24Madie24 Posts: 9 New Member
    I think, for example, the animals only mate by snarling at each other and I think there would be no problem if they mated in a realistic way. It's nothing serious for young children to see, it won't cause them any trauma, in my opinion it's even educational
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I kind of like how it is. Sims 2 balanced the mature and the family game play fairly well, and Sims 3 added to that.
    Sims 4 kind of comes off as a little too family friendly, that is requires mods to fix. I kind of want the stuff from Sims 2 and Sims 3 to come back.
    it is just really weird that in the Sims 4 that pets just nuzzle and get pregnant. In Sims 2, my pets went to have alone time in their pet house to get pregnant, and my Sims actually left the house to cheer them on. We don't see the pets, but the fireworks, and I was amused with how my Sims reacted.
    So, I kind of want the older games mature themes to return in Sims 4, and in later games.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    I'm sort of okay with the game as it is, the only things I'd change would be using proper terminology, ie calling it make love, or have sex, instead of woohoo, and having the option of calling the police on arguments in City Living.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I like it just as it is.
    I like the game just as it is. If it had explicit violence, sex, drugs etc, I wouldn't play. I'm almost 35 too!
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    I think it's a little too much pg, not even pc-13. When I first played sims 1 it seemed marketed to older people, and not it's getting all Disney, and I'm a grown adult invested, and I dont want to play a child's game. Really Sims was originally not branded that way. And everything in the game, clubs woohoo, if I were a parent, I would not want my kid playing this, and it can't really be adjusted with out insulting current fan base. It's so silly the wine is called nectar, and the censorship over they bodies when they use the bathroom and shower has always annoyed me.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited August 2023
    There is already too much spice and crime in The Sims to be family friendly!
    I'd think it's a bit too adult all ready. I'd like it slightly less for the younger generation. Honestly, they should just have either a parent control toggle with a pin or ask you age when you sign up. If your under 13, your sims don't die and a stork brings your babies haha.

If you are over, you get a choice haha. Tick a family friendly toggle or don't. Maybe even a seperate toggle for violence and crime vs. Romance and nudity as some don't mind one but do the other.
  • Options
    johnny33johnny33 Posts: 91 Member
    edited August 2023
    I like it just as it is.
    I like the level of spice the series has had so far, whatever can fit under the Teen rating is fine by me. I think it adds to the wackiness/goofiness level of the series by keeping adult things masked like "woohoo" or "nectar/juice". Making it more adult will add more realistic labels/elements which I think will take away from what made the series cartoonish fun
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    I'd settle for subtle references/nods from the devs here and there, that show they acknowledge their adult playerbase.
  • Options
    CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2023
    I'd like it more spicy!
    I find Sims 4 weirdly childish, mostly from the lack of repercussions of your actions and no autonomy of NPCs. There's nothing like that moment when you see two sims leap at each other to fight right on the street over some slight. :D

I don't play explicit spicy stories (adult stories, but I don't need to see cartoons getting it on. No judgment though.), but don't see anything wrong with less of the censor bar (if optional and obviously ONLY for adults!) and more adult topics. Vampires should have the option to go wild and drain people (again, optional). Burglars and other scary events. Better romance interactions - some sims will never like you, some will take to you immediately but dislike you when they "get to know".

I do assume that most of Sims T for teen is for the approval of a wide variety of countries, all with different ethical boundaries. So alcohol may always be a no go. Things like that.

The one thing I don't want is the return of the spouse/partner slapping. Absolutely not. I'd like repercussions for cheating but that should be a divorce, therapy required (Doctor rabbithole?), the ability to stay together and forgive (or not! You could keep a bad attitude at your spouse forever). Weird that I don't mind sims brawling in the street, but I hate the slapping, I know. It just strikes me very badly.

(Edit to add I am 46 and I've been playing since a couple years into Sims 1 (plus SimCity before that(. Also I only play Sims 3 right now, but have hope for Sims 5.)
    Post edited by Charlottekn on
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,657 Member
    I don’t need more explicit woohoo, violence or ultra realistic themes in the game, so as far as that is concerned, I’m fine with TS4 as it is. Folks who want that kind of game know where those mods are. What I miss is added risk. The random intrusions into your sim’s life that could suddenly change things for them. While I like being in charge of my sims life, the odd alien abduction, karaoke explosion, haunting, or jilted girlfriend brawl made things a bit more exciting. And, if things got too out of hand, I could maintain control by just rolling back a save. Save often, kiddies.
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member
    I believe the very concept of "Family Friendly" is toxic and misogynist. Furthermore, The Sims 4 is walking a weird tightrope but embracing LGBTQ+ while at the same time infantilizing certain expressions of love.

I could go off on a long rant about this, but I won't.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    As said before, still think Sims 2 strikes the right balance. The question is, who defines what is 'family friendly'? Someone from San Francisco is going to have a different concept than someone from rural Mississippi, and both will differ from that of someone from a country other than the USA.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    As said before, still think Sims 2 strikes the right balance. The question is, who defines what is 'family friendly'? Someone from San Francisco is going to have a different concept than someone from rural Mississippi, and both will differ from that of someone from a country other than the USA.

TS2 had the cutscenes with the loud music and sound that made it appear racier than it was. If they just add back the interactions from TS2 then everyone can play with whatever interactions they think appropriate. If goose pinch and kiss up arm is too racy for them then they don't have to use it. But the cutscenes, well you couldn't escape them and they sounded like adult movies.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I like it just as it is.
    crocobaura wrote: »

TS2 had the cutscenes with the loud music and sound that made it appear racier than it was. If they just add back the interactions from TS2 then everyone can play with whatever interactions they think appropriate. If goose pinch and kiss up arm is too racy for them then they don't have to use it. But the cutscenes, well you couldn't escape them and they sounded like adult movies.

I actually really liked the cut scenes in sims 2, especially when a child was born. The fact that alien babies had a different cut scene was amazing. Anyway you could escape the cut scenes in sims 2. The option is found under camera options. They were totally optional which is how these things should be.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I'd like it more spicy!
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »

I actually really liked the cut scenes in sims 2, especially when a child was born. The fact that alien babies had a different cut scene was amazing. Anyway you could escape the cut scenes in sims 2. The option is found under camera options. They were totally optional which is how these things should be.

Yes, most were fine, I was just speaking about the woohoo ones in the context of family friendly content.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I don't care, I use mods to make the game more spicy/violent/adult.
    I would like it more spicy, Sims 1 or 2 level for base game, keeping in mind this is a T rated game, not an E (everyone including under 10) game. Right now, the trend is to make T games into E-10+ games. The Sims was not meant to be a little kids game in its entirety. Little kids can enjoy parts of the game, like just the CAS, or just the build mode, but not the live mode. The live mode was always meant to be just a bit more spicy.
    By the way, judging can be just as hurtful as insults, and often one leads to the other. Parents of course, are always going to scold their kids and try to steer them (hopefully in the right direction) but friends should not be like parents, and parents should not be quite the same as friends. They are authority figures, and there will always be a certain amount of distance between authority figures and those under their authority.
    Power struggles (ie who exactly has this authority) are also part of life, but there should be a civil way to settle those, especially between Sims.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited September 2023
    The "sexiness" was in TS1, TS2 and TS3 but it has been lost in TS4.
    The violence/dark side was also in the previous games (exploding objects in TS3).

The Sims 4 is almost a censored version of The Sims franchise.

But, to be honest, I never really used these features.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I don't want any violence, but definitely more woohoo spice. One or two 18+ packs would be great, though I don't see how this content separation would work.
  • Options
    ChungyChungy Posts: 36 Member
    I don't care, I use mods to make the game more spicy/violent/adult.
    I was never really allowed to play any of the Sims games until I turned 18, not even TS4. My mom was an avid player of the console versions of the Sims games, but just wasn't comfortable with me playing them on my own. Nowadays, I wouldn't mind if future games went in either direction as long as it's still fun. I'm sure mods for those who do want a little more spice will suffice as they've always done.
    Tune into Chungytoon on YouTube - a community for a variety of gaming and internet shenanigans including content from The Sims franchise.