Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do certain foods make one fat?

I think I've read that the Sims 4 food system can affect weight. So does it and how bad? Do we need a dietary chart for the foods? Is there one somewhere?

My children have gotten beyond obese and now suffer from morbid obesity. So I switched their diet to salads and force them to play for hours on the monkey bars, swing set and pirate ship to try to tone them up.

That seems to be helping but their weight is still a bit alarming.

Comments

• Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 714 Member
    edited July 2022
    I think everything that is like cake, fast food (pizza), quick meal (Cereal, cookies, juice), pasta make Sims fat if they don't do any activities and sleep a lot. Most of the Sims I play are usually pretty active and one thing I noticed is that if they use the weight lifting equipment they bulk up in muscle mass, if they use the treadmill every day they get defined (shredded) or skinny. I'm curious to see a dietary chart too because some of them do affect size, like that high protein meal.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    A lot of the high level homestyle and gourmet dishes are calorie-heavy, so to speak. This can be somewhat counterintuitive from a gameplay perspective, as we tend to view higher level abilities or items as being superior to lower level ones. However, the devs were pretty slick in noting that your sims are going to gain weight if you feed them roast chicken or rack of lamb every night. A lot of the recipes from Country Living and the barbecue recipes from Island Living will pack the pounds on your sim.

And, as mentioned by Alan, pizza is probably the biggest culprit for weight gain in the game. If you are looking keep your sims fit, avoid that San Myshuno slice.
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Yeah, I figured about the cakes and such. I also don't even make baked goods. Because those foods make me feel fatter just from reading the titles. But I was making mostly fish, chicken and stuff like that. You know, foods that make my mouth water.

Also, yeah I figured out how the weight machine and treadmill work. I think though that the treadmill trims you down, the punching bag gives definition and the weight machine gives muscle mass.

Unfortunately none of machines matter for the children.
  • Options
    crebo19crebo19 Posts: 286 Member
    I noticed back during the "everyone is making white cakes' glitch the people in my household were heavier and received a negative moodlet for eating so much cake. Lol
  • Options
    Lol When that was a thing, I threw the cakes away immediately, if you're talking the ones the roommates were making. I never EVER "let them eat cake." 😤 If there was another one, fortunately I missed it.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,424 Member
    Diet ice cream is your friend. Stick a bucket in the fridge and let them eat it whenever they like it. That is basically the only desert my sims order in restaurants if they have already eaten.
  • Options
    Sorry, I won't let them eat anything with the word "die" in it, just like I won't let them eat things like pufferfish. No thank you, I don't want them to puff up any more than they are!
  • Options
    Sorry, I won't let them eat anything with the word "die" in it, just like I won't let them eat things like pufferfish. No thank you, I don't want them to puff up any more than they are!

Diet ice cream makes them thin actually. It takes three successive servings to go from morbidly obese to slender. You can watch what they eat and exercise, but ice cream works so much better, it's like no fat, no sugar, no dairy kind of dessert.
  • Options
    No fat, no sugar, no dairy, just air? Lol

Seriously though, I've never seen diet ice cream, probably because my eyes have an aversion to the word. *shrugs*
  • Options
    No fat, no sugar, no dairy, just air? Lol

Seriously though, I've never seen diet ice cream, probably because my eyes have an aversion to the word. *shrugs*

The flavour it's actually called Taste of Diet, it comes with the ice cream maker from Cool Kitchen pack.
  • Options
    That explains it. I have the pack but have never actually used the items from it. Maybe I should...
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Yeah the ice cream is good, and I believe there are potions for making sims thin or fat in the rewards store also.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,934 Member
    I think there is a Carl's guide on this. You can google it. In general salads, fish and harvestables are healthiest. And it's really hard to avoid putting on weight if you don't exercise regularly.
  • Options
    Daephene wrote: »
    Yeah the ice cream is good, and I believe there are potions for making sims thin or fat in the rewards store also.

Yeah, the potions are there but that's not for me. I'd rather make them play on the playground in a thunderstorm.
    I think there is a Carl's guide on this. You can google it. In general salads, fish and harvestables are healthiest. And it's really hard to avoid putting on weight if you don't exercise regularly.

Yeah, I'm seeing that. Their days are becoming less fun and more work by the minute. But at least they will look good doing it.

About Carl's guide, I didn't think about that! That site was my goto during Sims 3.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,952 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don't police my sims diets but I do track their exercise habits. They have complete freedom to eat whatever they like and they do mix it up. They are good about having healthy meals almost as often as indulgent meals. I have them conditioned to want to do something active everyday. Jogging, swimming, and yoga are their favorites and they are all still as slim as they were when the save started.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,110 Member
    I noticed a massive trend towards weight gain after I bought Cottage Living.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    I don't police my sims diets but I do track their exercise habits. They have complete freedom to eat whatever they like and they do mix it up. They are good about having healthy meals almost as often as indulgent meals. I have them conditioned to want to do something active everyday. Jogging, swimming, and yoga are their favorites and they are all still as slim as they were when the save started.

So you don't do family meals? I mean, if you're gonna have one parent cook for the entire family, then you have to choose what they make.

That is unless you just order the butler to do it. When I do that, it's definitely salad night. That's all he makes.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member

I have the flipside of this situation in my save. I have a Sim who is inspired by a good friend of mine. We'll call him Sam. Sam is a large, active, athletic man. Creating him as a Sim, without the Active trait, would be untrue to him. Left to his own devices, Sam the Sim lives at the gym. His favorite activity, by far, is the treadmill. I have to make sure Sam includes junk food in his diet, or he becomes noticeably smaller.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Gideon woke up thin!!! Gideon, the eldest of the two children, went to sleep last night still fat but woke up half the boy he used to be! I think the forced activity and neglect of homework and skill building has paid off!!!
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Here's a related question: Does running on the treadmill at a gym cause Sims to trim down faster than jogging around the neighborhood, or do the activities have the same effect on a Sim's physique?
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,989 Member
    edited July 2022
    I think everything spellcasters can magic up makes your sim fat because thats been issue with my Goths lately :lol:

thankfully i found out kicking soccer ball helps for kids and i can exercise the older sims
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Soccer ball??? I never thought of that!!!

@MoonlightGraham that's a great question!
  • Options
    So you don't do family meals? I mean, if you're gonna have one parent cook for the entire family, then you have to choose what they make.

That is unless you just order the butler to do it. When I do that, it's definitely salad night. That's all he makes.

My main save there are no families. There are three main households, two couples, and one single sim. Every household has somebody who is at least a level 7 cook, and two are sims in the culinary career. They handle all of their own meal prep. I let them choose what they want to eat. Both of the chefs are actually max skinny and thinner than when I started because they are so active they work the calories off.

• Options
    I have the flipside of this situation in my save. I have a Sim who is inspired by a good friend of mine. We'll call him Sam. Sam is a large, active, athletic man. Creating him as a Sim, without the Active trait, would be untrue to him. Left to his own devices, Sam the Sim lives at the gym. His favorite activity, by far, is the treadmill. I have to make sure Sam includes junk food in his diet, or he becomes noticeably smaller.

Summer loves to go jogging, she does that autonomously. Danielle loves to go swimming and do yoga, Londyn loves swimming too and jogging. Matteo is another swimmer. If you want to find him and he isn't at home, head for the bay in Tartosa you'll find him there. I don't know what Liberty does to stay so skinny but I guess I'm going to find out soon enough.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I never breastfeed my sims kids as that makes them gain weight, and I only feed the toddlers/children garden salad and they maintain their weight on that. Once they are teens I freeze their physique with MCCC which stops them from gaining/losing any weight/muscle and from then on they can eat whatever they want.