Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Talk Like A Pirate Day

Love it or hate it?

Just curious.

Talk Like A Pirate Day 175 votes

Love it!
11%
crocobauraSnuffyBucketMariefoxprice83alanmichael1lisasc360phantasmkissRasia SilvercalipossPamtastic72happyopimikamakimonStina1701APeralLady_BalloraDaepheneAdmiral8QmightyspriteBenjamilianRoseQuartzCuddlyWuddlyMe 20 votes
Like it.
19%
rudolphaTheSpotted_CelanorbretonBoergeAarg61mildredalienSavorySageMindofyashcrash19Kironideemerepapertonguebixtersannaliese39cyncieDoloresGreyMayaRose1138EnkiSchmidtMDianaSimsMonaveilBehappy1st 34 votes
Meh.
42%
BluegayleCK213GalacticGalIcewolfSikoahGraceoveronBreeNillaPlayerSinger2010MelisendreIsb917AnmirlaSerraNolwensimgirl1010robyngravesWyrrenmystang1972wylmite1986Echo17121DarkLady2788Lizzychicago 74 votes
Dislike it.
10%
alexspoom13mueller_liteSati101taydevLeccaPenguinFoopSusim62StarfreeBreazonaBlackorchidHillyBethKbobsterGirafHuntrLT24Darrenwahini2024JALMumma_Bear01 18 votes
Hate it!
16%
julienrob2004Alexaisam123Alainar415shellbemecornflake88PeachesnDucksfriendlysimmersg01denswangoodcakebaker62mlmeadowsbevillepallies1texxx78ChadSims2ChalkyMalkyAtreya33SimskristaSeklein112Geralt_ofRivia 29 votes

Comments

• Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Dislike it.
    I personally think it's a bit annoying.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Meh.
    Sometimes it's funny.
    Sometimes I am not in the mood for it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Like it.
    I like it, the only downside is that it's a random holiday. Sometimes it comes up for a household that wouldn't enjoy that custom, forcing me to switch households as to not let the holiday go to waste. Or worse, in the middle of an intense story bit.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,354 Member
    Like it.
    It's one of the few random holidays that I don't delete off the calendar when it comes up. For some reason it amuses me, it's easy to fulfill, and it usually doesn't interfere with what I was going to do anyway.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    Dislike it.
    Here's your challenge, walk down the street telling everyone "Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day! Arr!"

Not in game but in real life. I wonder if we could get that to be a thing...
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    Dislike it.
    It was a little amusing the first 50 times.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    Dislike it.
    Here's your challenge, walk down the street telling everyone "Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day! Arr!"

It is a real day, it is apparently Sept 19th. It was invented in 1995.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    Like it.

About thirty years too late, I'm afraid :( I now live stuff like that vicariously through my sims only.
  • Options
    Dislike it.
    Wow. It's a real thing??? Okay let's do Talk Like.A Parrot Day instead?
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Like it.
    It was a semi-big deal for a while, at least in my circles (which is made up mostly of Rennies, Geeks and Geeky Rennies) and at one point "Pirate" was a language option on Facebook for the day (and longer if you didn't bother to switch back)

Unfortunately I celebrate it in real life about the same way I do in the sims... by doing the same stuff I normally do in a day, with the occasional moment of remembrance/lip service to the day.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Meh.
    It gets redundant way too quickly. I have to work hard at getting my large households to fulfill the goal of the day, lest they all whine about how awful the 'holiday' way.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,856 Member
    Meh.
    Sometimes I play out holidays like this, sometimes I go through the calendar on the first day of the save and delete all the holidays I that I'm not interested in. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just how I feel that day.🙂
  • Options
    Dislike it.
    Sometimes I play out holidays like this, sometimes I go through the calendar on the first day of the save and delete all the holidays I that I'm not interested in. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just how I feel that day.🙂

I keep threatening to delete it but then I wonder if I would miss it if I did...
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,856 Member
    Meh.

I keep threatening to delete it but then I wonder if I would miss it if I did...

I've done that one a few times, but after a while it gets tedious. If I haven't played that one for a while I will and then skip it again for a while.

For those that really love pirates it would be fun to play more frequently.
  • Options
    Like it.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    It was a semi-big deal for a while, at least in my circles (which is made up mostly of Rennies, Geeks and Geeky Rennies) and at one point "Pirate" was a language option on Facebook for the day (and longer if you didn't bother to switch back)

Unfortunately I celebrate it in real life about the same way I do in the sims... by doing the same stuff I normally do in a day, with the occasional moment of remembrance/lip service to the day.

In my family we still celebrate (Talk like a) Pirate day with themed food, deco and hats - just like a mini Carnival/Halloween. It's just the approaching of random strangers and going "Arr!" at them like @PenguinFoop challenged that we left behind in the teen years in favour of that pesky social awareness (granted, back then then we weren't Pirates, but Star Trek officers).
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Love it!
    My friends love this holiday in real life and I just get a kick out of it being part of my Sims' lives as well. Plus the fact that they got the voice actors to record all the lines in pirate voice too.

The only thing I don't like is it's hard to remember what some of the interactions' pirate names correspond to, especially some of the romantic ones.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Love it!
    Hey, where's the "ARRRRR" option?
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Love it!
    It's the only random holiday I don't make a point of deleting as often as possible. My attachment to it is mostly based on the real life version, but I do love the way they implemented it.
  • Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    Meh.
    I leave this holiday on my calendar if I have kids in my household, otherwise I’m quick to delete it.
    · · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Meh.
    It’s annoying.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Meh.
    I neither like or dislike it. I wouldn't say that it adds anything to the game.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Meh.
    I originally thought it was cute, but it comes round too often. Still it doesn't annoy me enough to mod it out.
  • Options
    MayaRose1138MayaRose1138 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Like it.
    I like it but then again, I don’t always use it in my game. Part of that stems from one family gaining an extra nooboo when I didn’t know that a particular phrase (that I can’t remember now) actually meant ‘try for baby’!
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Meh.
    I just turn them off in the calendar.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    Meh.
    Just make your Sims Woohoo and it technically counts as Talking like a Pirate. That's what I immediately do for the older Sims.