Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Potential return of Wants and Fears in High School Years

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,402 Member
People on Twitter are running with this caption on an official Sims Instagram post. It explicitly says wants & fears. What do you think? If this is not the case, I highly urge a clarification by a SimGuru. They clarified that there would be no color wheel added when the language of a past roadmap graphic suggested the return of that feature.

Caption:
Kevin is just trying his best to make it to the biggest night of Copperdale High 🤞 With wants & fears building up, who wouldn't need a little pep talk? #TheSims4HighSchoolYears 😉

Available for Preorder ✨

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Personally, I would like Wants and Fears back if...
    • The wants and fears are meaningful, large goals. Think make X friends or reach X level in a skill over a single action that can immediately be completed, such have a drink at the bar or tell a joke
    • The wants are sequential. Completing a want causes subsequent wants of a higher level to be rolled. This was called the "wants tree" in Sims 2
    • I like the UI in the Sims 2 with the dedicated panel and the rolling wants and fears. The whim thought bubbles took way too little screen real estate
    • An aspiration bar would be amazing
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I do think it's happening but I think it's going to be a base game update. They did hint at something like this in their roadmap.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    I was decidedly on the "no, it's just misleading marketing" train until I rewatched the clip and he very specifically says "it's time to face your fear of people judging you," and then the stress on "getting what you WANT." Let's just put it this way, if this ISN'T a sign these are coming back, this is the most misleading ad of all time.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited July 2022
    I will scream with joy if they reveal wants and fears on the livestream tomorrow! That is the main feature from Sims 2 that I wanted back! It adds dimension and challenge to the game and if done correctly which means tying them to your sims' traits and aspirations and contextual moments providing them as well. This this will be an absolute GAME CHANGER!!! PLEASE DON'T LET US DOWN SIMS TEAM!!!
  • Options
    EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member
    this would be my dream come true!
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    As someone who didn't play Sims 2, my biggest concern is that people are going to be expecting Sims 2 Wants and Fears to be grafted onto Sims 4 Aspirations, and - at least from what I understand - that's not going to work the way people want it to.

The idea itself does seem interesting, and I know the sims team will have tried their best to work as much as they could in, but the AI is only so smart.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    As someone who didn't play Sims 2, my biggest concern is that people are going to be expecting Sims 2 Wants and Fears to be grafted onto Sims 4 Aspirations, and - at least from what I understand - that's not going to work the way people want it to.

The idea itself does seem interesting, and I know the sims team will have tried their best to work as much as they could in, but the AI is only so smart.

I'm a big Sims 2 fan and still play it. The Sims 2 is the model. It's not concerning to me that people expect Sims 2 as the standard because it is the standard. It will be judged based on that.

Also the Aspirations and Wants/Fears are not the same and the systems should reference each other. The aspiration category (Romance, Friendship, Family, etc.) drives the core wants and fears rolled. Same with traits and personality. Otherwise, the Wants and Fears are completely generic for every Sim.
  • Options

I'm a big Sims 2 fan and still play it. The Sims 2 is the model. It's not concerning to me that people expect Sims 2 as the standard because it is the standard. It will be judged based on that.

Also the Aspirations and Wants/Fears are not the same and the systems should reference each other. The aspiration category (Romance, Friendship, Family, etc.) drives the core wants and fears rolled.

That's not quite my point. The Aspirations work differently, the categories are less broad and there are more of them. Expecting Wants and Fears to work with Aspirations the way they did in Sims 2 is likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Because the Aspiration System is different, the way Wants and Fears are generated based on Aspirations will likely be different.

Some Aspiration groups are suitably narrow that having Wants/Fears based on Aspiration families will make sense (Animal, Fortune, Culinary) Others are so broad based it will make less sense - for example, Knowledge. A sim with the Master Spellcaster aspiration getting a want to ... build a Rocket doesn't really support their Aspiration, and is likely to be out of character. A sim with the Musician Aspiration likewise shouldn't get a fear of being grabbed by the Fabricator - it's a ridiculously easy fear to avoid, especially if there's no fabricator in the house.
  • Options

Also the Aspirations and Wants/Fears are not the same and the systems should reference each other. The aspiration category (Romance, Friendship, Family, etc.) drives the core wants and fears rolled.

That's not quite my point. The Aspirations work differently, the categories are less broad and there are more of them. Expecting Wants and Fears to work with Aspirations the way they did in Sims 2 is likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Because the Aspiration System is different, the way Wants and Fears are generated based on Aspirations will likely be different.

Some Aspiration groups are suitably narrow that having Wants/Fears based on Aspiration families will make sense (Animal, Fortune, Culinary) Others are so broad based it will make less sense - for example, Knowledge. A sim with the Master Spellcaster aspiration getting a want to ... build a Rocket doesn't really support their Aspiration, and is likely to be out of character. A sim with the Musician Aspiration likewise shouldn't get a fear of being grabbed by the Fabricator - it's a ridiculously easy fear to avoid, especially if there's no fabricator in the house.

It's true that the aspirations are narrow. So for more specificity, the Wants and Fears should have some more relevance based on the specific aspiration. This doesn't seem like an unreasonable request. The main tedious part is creating enough meaningful wants and fears and then bucketing them so that they have a greater probability of showing up based on the aspirations and traits of your sim.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I wonder if the wants are replacing the whims. I am looking forward to find out more during the live stream tomorrow.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited July 2022
    might be just moodlets for this trait specifically
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Couldn't they just put the wants and fears with the likes/dislikes allowing us to pick which things they want and fear? That was my first thought anyways.
  • Options
    Couldn't they just put the wants and fears with the likes/dislikes allowing us to pick which things they want and fear? That was my first thought anyways.

That would cause an outcry.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member

I take your point, but I don't know that your examples would be any more ridiculous than our current whims: for example, constantly getting the "want to buy a bee box" whim because it's spring.

That being said, it would probably make more sense to have wants and fears tied more closely to your traits rather than your aspirations. But if such a system was truly like TS2, the wants and fears would come from a variety of sources: traits, aspirations, mood, needs, recent events, age, season, etc.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    Kevin has wants & fears around the biggest night of High School. With the new socially awkward trait, who wouldn't need a pep talk?

• Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »

I take your point, but I don't know that your examples would be any more ridiculous than our current whims: for example, constantly getting the "want to buy a bee box" whim because it's spring.

That being said, it would probably make more sense to have wants and fears tied more closely to your traits rather than your aspirations. But if such a system was truly like TS2, the wants and fears would come from a variety of sources: traits, aspirations, mood, needs, recent events, age, season, etc.

Hey, I never said I thought the current whim system was good. I think it's a good idea poorly implemented and I'm hoping that the new Wants and Fears system is a marked improvement. I only have whims active because sometimes my sims will end up fulfilling one without my trying... and I like toddlers to may be build up a few points before they age up so that I can pick up Storm chaser faster.

I just don't think they're wholesale importing the Sims 2 system into Sims 4, and expecting that could lead to more disappointment than never getting them at all.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    As a huge Sims 2 fan this makes me wary. Because the sims 2 system was so good, the sims 4 just won’t live up to that.
    Sims 2 what’s and fears were tied to their hobbies, aspiration, relationships and personality. Sims 4 sims aren’t that deep sadly. For example all my sims end up with the cooking hobby. My sim that dislikes gaming spends much of her time…gaming. Sims 2 was a lot deeper.

As much as I would love wants and fears in the sims 4, I worry it will be super shallow. Like all teens will get a fear of say being rejected for asking someone to prom. And yes that’s a legitimate fear, if all the sims get it then it’s not unique. Whims are so poorly done in the sims 4 they were disabled. All sims get a whim to buy new boxes in spring, children get whims to do laundry and my sim with a cat who has a vampire aspiration gets whims every other day to buy a cat litter box.

If we are getting wants and fears and it does deepen our sims personalities and make them them more unique and interesting I will be very pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member

I'm going to assume Kevin being afraid of the dark will mean he'd be afraid of going into the haunted house ride at the carnival. Kevin should be able to conquer his fears. That mean the fear icon should change like the Whims system during gameplay once completed.
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I wonder if there's different levels to fears, like a skill bar for fears where Sims gradually get over fears doing the actions but I would think some fears could be conquered faster. They mentioned wants and fears building up. That made me think about how this will work if true.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    As a huge Sims 2 fan this makes me wary. Because the sims 2 system was so good, the sims 4 just won’t live up to that.
    Sims 2 what’s and fears were tied to their hobbies, aspiration, relationships and personality. Sims 4 sims aren’t that deep sadly. For example all my sims end up with the cooking hobby. My sim that dislikes gaming spends much of her time…gaming. Sims 2 was a lot deeper.

As much as I would love wants and fears in the sims 4, I worry it will be super shallow. Like all teens will get a fear of say being rejected for asking someone to prom. And yes that’s a legitimate fear, if all the sims get it then it’s not unique. Whims are so poorly done in the sims 4 they were disabled. All sims get a whim to buy new boxes in spring, children get whims to do laundry and my sim with a cat who has a vampire aspiration gets whims every other day to buy a cat litter box.

If we are getting wants and fears and it does deepen our sims personalities and make them them more unique and interesting I will be very pleasantly surprised.

I like whims because they are optional, you can fulfill them or not, it's up to you, with no consequence on the sims if you don't. My sims do get interesting whims, some I fulfill, some not. If I remember correctly, wants in TS2 weren't optional, and neither were fears. Now imagine you have a vampire who is afraid of the dark.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I liked the idea of wants and fears, and they are probably going to be optional just like whims, which is even better. It would be such a tease if all of this ends up being just some marketing thing and nothing comes out of it.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

I like whims because they are optional, you can fulfill them or not, it's up to you, with no consequence on the sims if you don't. My sims do get interesting whims, some I fulfill, some not. If I remember correctly, wants in TS2 weren't optional, and neither were fears. Now imagine you have a vampire who is afraid of the dark.

I'm not sure what you mean when you suggest Sims 2 Wants and Fears "weren't optional."
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

They were in the sense that you didn’t have to do it. There could be consequences if you didn’t meet all your sims wants but for me it doesn’t impact my game negatively. I like them because they give my sims more life and personality. Whims in sims 4 don’t give my sims personality as it’s the same whims that appear constantly that are generic. I am willing to bet sims 4 wants and fears will be as deep as a paddling pool.