Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Upcoming EP: High School

Comments

• Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Maybe bands will come in High School? I want bands so badly.

Me too! @Loanet
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited June 2022
    For the school aspect, I also want active classes with several new interactive items added. Hoping this is nothing like University since we already have that type of gameplay.

Sims could possibly attend one active classes each day and have lunch in the school cafeteria.

Possible active classes:
    1. English (Language Arts): Literature, creative writing or journalism class
    2. Mathematics
    3. Social Studies
    4. Science
    5. Performing Arts: Choir, band, concert band, marching band, orchestra, dance, drama.
    6. Visual Arts: sculpture, ceramics, jewelry design, photography, drawing and/or painting
    7. Physical Education: cheerleading, dance, gymnastics, weight training, aerobics, tennis, ballet, volleyball and/or track & field.
    8. Vocational Education: automotive technology, cosmetology, woodworking or computer class.

There could be NPC teachers, a principal and a quirky janitor.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited June 2022
    telemwill wrote: »
    @Beardedgeek Prom is just a dance with evening wear. Usually you go out for dinner with your date and another couple or two. Then you go to the dance, take a picture, dance and talk to your friends. No Carrie horror scenes involved.

I was a nerd and was never bullied at Prom. It may just be that my school was large enough that everyone had a group, but I don't remember much bullying. In elementary and middle school, yes. But it seemed like everyone had grown past that in high school. That may not be true everywhere. Perhaps I was just lucky.

Nerds has nothing to do with bullying outside hollywood; I am willing to bet at least one kid in each class was borderline suicide at least once a month; it is statistically the case in all schools everywhere. It's just that the kids not being either bullies or bullied a lot of times block out the obvious signs.

ANYWAY, I know what a prom is, I am just saying it's something that is very much an Anglo-centric phenomenon afaik. But I guess that would be like the student loans, half the players think they are too low, half the players thinks they are too high, because that's the local player's experience with them IRL.

Does Sweden not have dances for teens? No type of ball season?

I can see that specific traditions like Homecoming and Prom may be too associated with American teens, but I thought most countries had dancing of some sort. Maybe some sort of celebratory dance could be an option where specific traditions can be chosen or omitted like in the wedding events. Or players could just ignore it altogether. Which, even in America, many do.

Anyway, it is interesting to learn about school and the teen years in Sweden.

We have "Get drunk and throw up a lot" parties the last month before graduation, I guess. Not officially organized by the school of course, but the class president with friends.
    No official dances organized by the schools up until 10 years ago but knowing how much that is imported from America I wouldn't be surprised if it is more common now.

This reminds me of a discussion that came up a lot on expat forums in Sweden (my wife's American) where a lot of Americans wondered why there are no school sport teams in Sweden and "how we create a school spirit" and we swedes just asked back "why would we want to create a school spirit?". It kind of has the same vibe; I have never understood the need to dance with class mates.

Kids here just view School as "work, but for kids". You don't have company balls or "company spirit" either.

Thanks! I haven't had a lot of opportunity to travel, so it's good to learn how other people do things differently.

Another Swede here :)

School being thought of as "work for kids" is a pretty good comparison. I grew up in Sweden and went to school there but I have also done one year as a foreign exchange student in the US so I can just take sports for a comparison. My brother started playing hockey with other kids for a big team when he was 7 or 8 years old and he never left. When it was time for the Swedish equivalent of High School he was maybe 15 and he had stayed with the same club for almost a decade. He started his days at work=school and then he went over to the club that he had stayed with for so many years and it was like a second home to him.

Hmm.... it was really cool and interesting to compare the US to Swedish versions. In Sweden my brothers friends knew that he played hockey, other than that when you were in school you were more concentrated on the school-things. His team was really good and a few of them went on to NHL, if you did not talk to them you wouldn't know. The teachers did not have to work with the coaches for the different teams to coordinate stuff, because these sport activities a done after work=school so it is not their concern. A kid does not have to pass or get a certain grade to continue as a valued member in a sport steam.

I can only compare with my High School experience in the US but we were much more aware of the "good players", the ones who scored or won tournaments for our US school teams. There are no school teams in Sweden. It was very different for me.

Ponder how to describe it but I would sort of say that the US version is more intense if you will. Your team does good, you get recognition and expectations. Somethings goes bad and then it is perhaps less fun. In Sweden, you do super-duper-great and yeah, someone knows about it but you are at work=school so that is not the major thing. Your team does badly and ha ha, maybe you are glad that no one knows. Here the work is work and your hobbies and activities are centered around things outside of school, making the school bit less intense/hyped but it can also give a student some resilience. If work=school sucks due to bullying or grades, then hopefully your hobbies will have people who are not from your school, maybe you will be good at your hobby and can have some respite there. Likewise, if things are not great with your sports team, maybe you did not get picked for a spot you wanted, you don't get along with a new player, or anything like that then you will have less reminders of that at work=school.

So the less wordy version would be that the US in my opinion have higher highs and lower lows. The Swedish version would be more mellow perhaps. Two different systems. Too early in the morning for me to find the perfect word. Caveat, this is just how I experienced the different, it might be different from how others see it.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Right now, Young Adults and Adults are practically the same while there's nothing special about being a Teen. It's just a way to stretch out the Adult time-span. I don't really have a problem with a longer Adult time-span but it does make starting out in the different age-states rather pointless.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    @SilentKitty I can definitely see some advantages in having sports separate from school. Too often in the USA, sports programs get heavily funded and subjects like art and music get very little. Stadiums get built before auditoriums.

I wonder if in part it is due to how centralized America's school system is, our dependence on cars, and our zoning regulations. Younger students can't drive and the school day is over before the adult work day making transportation to after school programs difficult for many students. But if you can just stay at school, it's more likely someone can pick you up by the time practice is over.

But I think Americans also see school differently, not thinking of it as just academics or preparation for work. We see it as education for life. So schools have programs for academics, sports and health, and social activities as well. This can be wonderful, but has its drawbacks as well. Students who don't do well in one area may sour on the entire experience. And sometimes funding problems mean cuts to programs for arts.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Note, this is coming from a Swede.

I... don't see the point. Or rather I don't see the point in separating high school from middle school or the first years? Over here "high school" is definitely no different from any other year, it's just school, but I guess judging from American movies and TV shows it is a big deal over there? I guess?

Besides, having to micro manage teenagers between classes University style while they are still at home seems overwhelming to me, I can barely keep up with three sims period, even with sending them all off to rabbit hole jobs, and having to baby sit a teenager while trying to up skills and promotions for their parents seems to be a chore, and no fun at all.

I guess you could do it as a boarding school, but that is even less of an universal experience, usually reserved for the wealthy only and only in very very few countries at that.

University I get, by the times your Sim kids are YA, you usually move them to a new house and play them instead of their parents (at least I do that) so having them move to a dorm for a bit first is only logical and you don't have to juggle the rest of the family while you're there. But again my main issue with this is "Why high school?" at all? From a Swedish perspective the only real difference between grades 10 to 12 is that they aren't mandatory by unlike grades 1 to 9 so it is legal to quit school. That's it.

Our high schools are 9 to 12 grades.High school is the last stage of being a kid and becoming an adult.It means more freedom,responsibilities and preparing to go to college.
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited June 2022
    I can't wait fo EAxis to tell us more about the upcoming EP. I can hardly play as I have two very different Sims who are teens right now (close to becoming YA) I'd like to discover the high school features with.
    Hopefully we will learn about the new EP at the beginning of July with a release in late July. (--> like "School's out for summer! - But in The Sims 4 you can start your own high school experience NOW." or "Get a headstart for the new term in TS4 with the brand new [insert pack name e.g. Discover] High School!)
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Erja888 wrote: »
    I can't wait fo EAxis to tell us more about the upcoming EP. I can hardly play as I have two very different Sims who are teens right now (close to becoming YA) I'd like to discover the high school features with.
    Hopefully we will learn about the new EP at the beginning of July with a release in late July. (--> like "School's out for summer! - But in The Sims 4 you can start your own high school experience NOW." or "Get a headstart for the new term in TS4 with the brand new [insert pack name e.g. Discover] High School!)

I am still suspicious of this "leak", but a high school pack, or any kind of teen pack is a welcomed pack for my game play.
    I am currently playing a custom private prep-school, which is basically a dorm with an art studio and science lab on the premises. They still teleport to an off-screen school rabbit hole.
    06-11-22_10-26-46_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I mainly enjoy having six sims from the various neighborhoods under one roof and access to objects they don't have at home.
    That is the main point of what it's all about. It's easier to interact with friends and take school vacations together.

There are also two school staff members who are actually working in their professions and have offices on the premises, as well as living spaces. They can either work from their office, or go off-site to work. Any kind of teen centered game play will just make this better.
    06-06-22_7-41-04_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

06-11-22_4-02-16_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So if they can add more detail to the off-screen school experience, that would be great. :)
    06-11-22_11-08-12_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    We need radio stations
    • Geek rock station for the high school EP
    • R&B radio station for the base game while proms will be exclusive to high school EP

Okay let me get on board with this R&B Station...I need a pool table... I need some sports...Maybe some better game type/arcade type stuff to give them their own sensational Game room hang out lot...
    OK OK! Look! All we need is an R&B station first this year, and then we can get a stuff pack with more arcade stuff (Please don't say kits, cause I know I love kits, and I want only two or one stuff pack, cause we don't want 2022 to be the first year to not include stuff packs other than kits, which is confusing me)
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    There are people asking for live classes. My issue is that, how will I control more than one sim at a time going to school? Also, how would they cram a whole school day (with multiple classes) in? High school is different from university. They have all their classes everyday, whereas uni is one class for a few hours. I can’t see live classes working out. Plus, they sound kinda boring. I prefer rabbit hole classes.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Yeah my suspicion is that it'll be a Get to Work sort of expansion, with a structre all teens will go to. Perhaps you might have different districts depending on how many worlds you have and you have the flexability to reorganize those? Alongside boarding schools.

I can see bands also being folded into this, since music is such a big elective. Even my teeny-tiny town had a music teacher, as all other electives fell by the wayside. With it will either be a few new instruments or a general "band isntruments" skill. I can see drums being introduced as a seperate musical instrument as well. And perhaps some intregration with the previously released Drama Club and Scouts?
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited June 2022
    The survey description makes me think it won't be an University clone.
    American High Schools
    Cafeteria cliques, racy relationships and SAT struggles, the halls are alive with the sound of drama.
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    Again, it seems like what people want in a high school pack is everything but the schools themselves. I just don't really see how this can be an engaging player driven pack while simultaneously resembling a high school, especially given the restrictions in game such as population caps and the speed of time.

Like reasonably, how many classes are we expected to do in a day? For example, in the detective career, you can essentially divide your duties to different sections (crime scene, evidence analysis, apb, , interview, booking, patrol etc), and at best, all I can ever do is two of these "sections" in a day before running out of time. So two classes? Though more likely one to prevent them bleeding into each other (though to be fair, most of the WFH duties of the newer careers take about an hour in game), and have time to do all the "fun" extracurriculars that the people in this thread really want.

What will the classes be? Sit at desk and watch teacher (assuming they turn up) occasionally take notes? That's what most high school classes are if you look at it from a gameplay perspective (English, maths, history etc). Maybe gym class/PE and do what do X number of sit-ups, climb rope X number of times? Lab class? Disect frog? I just fear most school related activities will more focus on watching your sim do stuff rather than directing your sim to do stuff, and heavily reliant on a large number of NPC's doing stuff in unison, which the Sims 4 doesn't exactly excel at to say the least.

With the extracurriculars, what will they encapsulate? We can rule out active team sports (such as baseball, basketball, American and association football, lacrosse, hockey etc) as they require too many people and too much space. At best, they are either going to be rabbit holes, or limited to non team sports such as wrestling and tennis, maybe, at a stretch, swimming.

I just fear that this pack is going to be like My Weddings Story pack, focused more on the superficial elements with limited actual gameplay so the storyteller players have a new setting to take pictures at. But I'm afraid it's going to happen since it is something that people have been demanding since the first Sims game.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited June 2022
    The pack could be inspired by TV show, the teenage stories in the high school.
    • Prom
    • Parties
    • Gossip
    • Pranks
    • Social groups
    • Afterschool activities
    • Hanging out
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I would really like more hobbies for our sims, they already go to school, so maybe they could focus more on afterschool activities like swiming training and competitions, basketball tryouts, violin recitals, prom, etc. They could gossip via phone and hang out at various places around the world depending on their interests.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I've been preparing my high school save in anticipation that this does become a reality. Although I have a lot of teens in my game, some of the ones who are pivotal to my high school gameplay will need to be aged back down.

It is fun to speculate because I'm super excited for some fun unrealistic high school gameplay.

Hoping that cheerleading is added since it was on the survey:
    Cheer
    Immerse yourself in the world of cheerleading where focus is king and distractions are dangerous. Keep the team together, build routines and make sure to stick the landing.
    The_Squad_4.jpg

The_Squad_3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Hoping they add a lot more custom teen based social interactions. It would be nice if they tweak teen personalities so as to give them more depth and unique things that differentiate them from other age groups.

Teachers: Perhaps teachers could interact with different things like using a dry-erase board, teaching and demonstrating things from in front of the class or at their desk.

This image shows how a class room could look, the hallways and the principal's office.
    High-School.jpg
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited June 2022
    We'll see what it entails, but if it's the American Experience then nah, I can do without. I mean what I am missing from Teen activities are not the school part, or the friends part... what I remember from high school was the underage drinking, the skipping school to lounge in the park (my high school was directly across from the biggest park in central Stockholm so as soon as spring came, nobody went back to school after lunch if the weather was good...), and trading pirated computer games in class. (What, it was the 90s. Games were still on CDs ;) ).

Point being there is nothing you can do in the Sims that can top the Highschool movies I saw as a kid, and simulating an authentic Swedish high school experience would be... exactly as the game is now ;)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    We'll see what it entails, but if it's the American Experience then nah, I can do without. I mean what I am missing from Teen activities are not the school part, or the friends part... what I remember from high school was the underage drinking, the skipping school to lounge in the park (my high school was directly across from the biggest park in central Stockholm so as soon as spring came, nobody went back to school after lunch if the weather was good...), and trading pirated computer games in class. (What, it was the 90s. Games were still on CDs ;) ).

Point being there is nothing you can do in the Sims that can top the Highschool movies I saw as a kid, and simulating an authentic Swedish high school experience would be... exactly as the game is now ;)

In my country most people skipping classes usually go to the movies. Morning shows have reduced price and with student discount it is even cheaper. :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Many classes could have things that don't go quite as planned.
    Science-Lab.png
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to bands?
    I thought all the concert in the park events thing was a hint that bands were coming.
    I thought they were experimenting with a system to have your sims give performances.

I was wondering the same thing, lol.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

me to but I want them to have there own pack.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

In my country most people skipping classes usually go to the movies. Morning shows have reduced price and with student discount it is even cheaper. :lol:
    In my high school, we just skipped school, at school. Like one time we snuck out of class to sit on the stairs right next to our classroom, then watched hamster videos because we didn't even know what to do with ourselves. We just wanted to see if we could.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

me to but I want them to have there own pack.

I hope bands have their own pack too!

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    Y'all! Do y'all believe what I just saw?