Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Over One Billion Hours Played In 2021

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member

EA just revealed the staggering new figure for their 'Year in Gaming' blog post earlier today on December 16. Not only have players on The Sims 4 logged over one billion total hours played over the course of the year so far, but they've also created over 376 million Sims over the year (that's more than the population of the U.S. right now).

It might at first seem slightly surprising, given that The Sims 4 released over seven years ago all the way back in 2014. It's really a testament to the barrage of new content that EA has provided for the simulation game over the recent years, with major add-ons like Cottage Living, Spa Day expansion, and Scenarios breathing new life into the hit game.

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-sims-4-players-clocked-in-over-one-billion-hours-in-2021/?utm_campaign=

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/news/2021-year-in-gaming

1.2 billion hours played.
529 million hours spent in live mode.
146 million hours spent in CAS.
226 million hours spent in build mode.
274 million whohoos.
376 million sims created.
11.3 million gallery uploads.
201 million gallery downloads.
Most common death-old age.
Post edited by simgirl1010 on

Comments

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Wow, Live Mode won out! I'm glad to see that.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Fully one-seventh of the time spent tweaking and creating sims in CAS...yeah, I'd buy that for a dollar. It took me ages to complete my own NPC Improvement Project back in 2020...
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Let's see, live mode garnered the most hours with build mode second and third is CAS...that's about how my time is spent "doing" Sims 4. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Live mode was way more than CAS and Build mode...and it still feels like they are focusing way more on CAS and Build Mode.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I've told everyone the Sims 4 is one of the greatest Sims games ever made. o:)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXTQeSGJjGM
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member

Hmm so what's the other mode that accounts for the rest of the time?

529 million live mode plus 146 million CAS plus 226 million build mode = 901 million.

• Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member

529 million live mode plus 146 million CAS plus 226 million build mode = 901 million.

Browsing the gallery, Manage worlds, The main menu?
    And probably in that order, but it still leaves an awful lot of time for those. Unless that also includes loading screens... 🤔
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    I probably spend about 2-3 hours per month just browsing the gallery, downloading, and commenting. I follow a lot of builders and every time I load my game there are notifications of new builds. And of course I have to check them all out. 😄
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member

I’ve probably added a few hours to that total from booting up the game, then getting either distracted by my phone or just letting it sit on the menu while I decide whether I actually intend to play.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,350 Member
    The numbers aren't even accurate because not all simmers go online when they play.

I always play offline. I only go online to download and install new patches or DLC, and (extremely rarely) to use the Gallery. If I do go into live mode, build mode, or CAS while online it's only to check that everything installed properly. As soon as I am done doing those things, I close down and restart in offline mode.

So even though I have easily spent thousands of hours in this game by now, my account has my total time at about 60 hours. And I doubt I'm the only simmer who only plays offline.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    From a psychological point of view this is disturbing people spent that many hours in a year with their noses in a screen. There is so much to do, that needs to be done, so much to fix, help others, so much to see, so much to think about, so much to experience in real life that I actually find this very disturbing and then we ask ourselves why are things the way they are. :o No wonder.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

You forgot the woohoo numbers.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2021
    Cottage Living I agree did help breathe new animal life in the game. I still think Simmers spend even more time than that on social media like Twitter, Twitch, YouTube, and forums. The movie WALL-E is very telling on how reliant people are to screens verses real life. Really helps having a dog and other hobbies to prevent burnout with games and social media.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    From a psychological point of view this is disturbing people spent that many hours in a year with their noses in a screen. There is so much to do, that needs to be done, so much to fix, help others, so much to see, so much to think about, so much to experience in real life that I actually find this very disturbing and then we ask ourselves why are things the way they are. :o No wonder.

I also spent time on my Nintendo Switch, iPad, Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and Discovery Plus. Yet I found time for friends and family and volunteer work. ☺️

You also have to realize that many were staying home this year because of Covid and those numbers reflect that.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited December 2021
    To put it into perspective, we can estimate that there are only about a couple million active players of the Sims in the entire world in 2021. Other franchises are in the 10s of millions. Top games, like Fortnite, are close to 100 million. Sims 4 is a tiny fish.

Separately, we have multiple signals that engagement has fallen in the latter half of the year.
    1. Lackluster content release (Kits ad nauseam) causing dwindling morale on social media
    2. EA Marketing has invested in a major partnership with Bretman Rock in an apparent attempt to recruit new, young Gen Z players
    3. Scenarios were introduced with a particular emphasis on time-limited scenarios to encourage players to complete them before they expire
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I dont want to know how much time i spend browsing forums, youtube or other social media 😭
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    In many ways it's very good to see that the most common death is old age. Years ago, I was a bit stunned to read how some players were devising ways to bring the end of life to their Sims, through starvation, drowning, electrocution, etc. . Seems many of us have moved on from that.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Annie2008Annie2008 Posts: 108 Member
    And 375 million of those Sims are on my computer!
  • Options
    I dont want to know how much time i spend browsing forums, youtube or other social media 😭

Lol, I forgot about social media. 😄

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited December 2021
    To put it into perspective, we can estimate that there are only about a couple million active players of the Sims in the entire world in 2021. Other franchises are in the 10s of millions. Top games, like Fortnite, are close to 100 million. Sims 4 is a tiny fish.

Separately, we have multiple signals that engagement has fallen in the latter half of the year.
    1. Lackluster content release (Kits ad nauseam) causing dwindling morale on social media
    2. EA Marketing has invested in a major partnership with Bretman Rock in an apparent attempt to recruit new, young Gen Z players
    3. Scenarios were introduced with a particular emphasis on time-limited scenarios to encourage players to complete them before they expire

Well Fortnite and Call of Duty are the big fishes and I don't think the sims4 is really comparable to those huge giants. But yes, it does feel like they have recently tried a bit more than usual to create player engagement.

A couple of million of players every year is not bad though, but I always find it fascinating... look at other social media, these forums etc. does it really feel like this game have a million active people?

It would be interesting to see other player stats too, mostly daily, weekly and monthly active players. I wonder how many they have had these last six months, I have barely played the game at all.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I think almost half of those CAS hours are mine. 😆
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Haha, I was just about to write exactly the same phrase :) So then the other half must be mine - what happened to everyone else?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Well I just hope all that player engagement leads to some awesome content over the next few years. ☺️
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »

Haha, I was just about to write exactly the same phrase :) So then the other half must be mine - what happened to everyone else?

Lol, y'all are funny. 😂