Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims with Disabilities?

Comments

• Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    1. Not all disabled people are against this. I remember a thread from the Sims 3 time where a person on thread said he had been born with one leg I think(?)- and he had tried everything in the Sims 2 to make his simself to be one legged but all he ended up doing with his simself was was making the simself die. I believe it was on a deaf guy's thread who wanted visually tech in the game.

2. depending on the disability a disabled person can ride a horse.
    3. For those of us who are disabled and want to see disabilities in life-simulator game it's mostly two things we want: a)the ability to create ourselves or someone we know in CAS (off topic-i was thrilled when they put in a teeth section in an update which looked like my special tooth)and 2)the accessible furniture/tech/actives they can do.
    4. The tools aren't really there for us to use to "pretend"-i mean the only wheelchairs CC avaible outside of needing Sims 4 university- do NOT move at all. Its not possible to make them move unless the creators literally put a code into the game to make "worable CC" without it they have nothing to work with.
    5. I just wish EA would fix "sims twirling into contacts to go to work" for my simself who wears glasses when she isn't in bed. Since that is so annoying we can't add glasses to work outfits.

^I hope I made any sense in this above comment

@Gamer_34567544 FIY upcoming life-simulator Paralives is looking into having disabilities but nothing is conformed now and if it does happen, they'll start with prosthetics i believe they said. But they're also looking into stuff like wheelchairs & canes. It's a hot-topic on Paralives discord occasionally there's some fights but mostly over "it's only for brownie points" despite me and others pointing out 1)just the option to create a sim and 2) the list of potential sports for disabled people to play. The only other fight was about that deaf people can still listen to music.

I think you nailed it! Thanks. And this topic apparently is nothing new if someone else mentioned seeing threads like this before. Until it's sorted out, more and more threads like this will come up
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    1. Not all disabled people are against this. I remember a thread from the Sims 3 time where a person on thread said he had been born with one leg I think(?)- and he had tried everything in the Sims 2 to make his simself to be one legged but all he ended up doing with his simself was was making the simself die. I believe it was on a deaf guy's thread who wanted visually tech in the game.

3. For those of us who are disabled and want to see disabilities in life-simulator game it's mostly two things we want: a)the ability to create ourselves or someone we know in CAS (off topic-i was thrilled when they put in a teeth section in an update which looked like my special tooth)and 2)the accessible furniture/tech/actives they can do.
    4. The tools aren't really there for us to use to "pretend"-i mean the only wheelchairs CC avaible outside of needing Sims 4 university- do NOT move at all. Its not possible to make them move unless the creators literally put a code into the game to make "worable CC" without it they have nothing to work with.
    5. I just wish EA would fix "sims twirling into contacts to go to work" for my simself who wears glasses when she isn't in bed. Since that is so annoying we can't add glasses to work outfits.

@Gamer_34567544 FIY upcoming life-simulator Paralives is looking into having disabilities but nothing is conformed now and if it does happen, they'll start with prosthetics i believe they said. But they're also looking into stuff like wheelchairs & canes. It's a hot-topic on Paralives discord occasionally there's some fights but mostly over "it's only for brownie points" despite me and others pointing out 1)just the option to create a sim and 2) the list of potential sports for disabled people to play. The only other fight was about that deaf people can still listen to music.

On horse riding... If they can't ride the horse itself, I bet they could ride something a horse is pulling. It's not quite the same, of course.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited September 2021
    As I stated in the other plethora of threads regarding adding disabilities into the game .......

I'm not against it in any way, would I personally use them? Probably never, ever, unless it was a visual thing that was temporary, like a cast on a leg or arm and using crutches or a wheelchair until the injury was healed.

It would be nothing but a big can of worms if it was ever implemented. Because there is no way, no how, that they could ever in a million years implement into the game every single disability/illness that exists.

Even just physical disabilities would be a huge list, so let's say they add prosthetic arms/legs ....
    • What about the person who was in a car accident and is now paralyzed from the neck down and uses a wheelchair with a mouthpiece type controller thing
    • What about the person who was burned over 80% of their body, has significant scarring and difficulty in mobility due to the scarring and tight skin
    • What about the person who had a stroke and one half of their face/mouth droops and/or is paralyzed only on one side
    • What about the person who has drop foot and drags a leg when walking
    • What about the person who was born with one leg shorter than the other and has to use an elevated shoe on that side or walks unsteadily

Do you see the rabbit hole I'm trying to explain? Sure you could add prosthetics to the game to represent those without a limb, but where's the representation for the other people I listed (and that's just a small minute fraction of the mobility type disabilities I could think of off the top of my head).

How would the devs decide which person gets to be represented?

And, this is just the "physical" disabilities that people can actually see, what about the million of other disabilities that nobody can see by just looking at someone?

Do they not include those?

Or only include those that have some sort of recognizable symptom/mental aspect? Such as those with chronic pancreatitis constantly doubled over in pain and vomiting?

Or only those with mental or neurological disabilities that could represented by traits and behavior?

Where would it stop?

Because I can guarantee once they started simmers will never, ever be satisfied because they will want more, more, more because a very specific disability wasn't added.

Then people would be in an uproar because there is no way the devs could ever add these disabilities and do it respectfully without mocking those with that specific disability and still keep it light and funny and humorous, because The Sims is NOT a realistic game. It's a life simulation game, meaning aspects of it resemble life, but it's not a replica.

So again I will say ..... if it's added and it makes those who have been wanting it added happy and satisfied and makes their game more enjoyable, then I'm perfectly okay with it being added. But I will never, ever be on "Team Add Disabilities".
  • Options
    As I stated in the other plethora of threads regarding adding disabilities into the game .......

I'm not against it in any way, would I personally use them? Probably never, ever, unless it was a visual thing that was temporary, like a cast on a leg or arm and using crutches or a wheelchair until the injury was healed.

It would be nothing but a big can of worms if it was ever implemented. Because there is no way, no how, that they could ever in a million years implement into the game every single disability/illness that exists.

Even just physical disabilities would be a huge list, so let's say they add prosthetic arms/legs ....
    • What about the person who was in a car accident and is now paralyzed from the neck down and uses a wheelchair with a mouthpiece type controller thing
    • What about the person who was burned over 80% of their body, has significant scarring and difficulty in mobility due to the scarring and tight skin
    • What about the person who had a stroke and one half of their face/mouth droops and/or is paralyzed only on one side
    • What about the person who has drop foot and drags a leg when walking
    • What about the person who was born with one leg shorter than the other and has to use an elevated shoe on that side or walks unsteadily

Do you see the rabbit hole I'm trying to explain? Sure you could add prosthetics to the game to represent those without a limb, but where's the representation for the other people I listed (and that's just a small minute fraction of the mobility type disabilities I could think of off the top of my head).

And, this is just the "physical" disabilities that people can actually see, what about the million of other disabilities that nobody can see by just looking at someone?

Do they not include those?

Or only include those that have some sort of recognizable symptom/mental aspect? Such as those with chronic pancreatitis constantly doubled over in pain and vomiting?

Or only those with mental or neurological disabilities that could represented by traits and behavior?

Where would it stop?

Because I can guarantee once they started simmers will never, ever be satisfied because they will want more, more, more because a very specific disability wasn't added.

Then people would be in an uproar because there is no way the devs could ever add these disabilities and do it respectfully without mocking those with that specific disability and still keep it light and funny and humorous, because The Sims is NOT a realistic game. It's a life simulation game, meaning aspects of it resemble life, but it's not a replica.

So again I will say ..... if it's added and it makes those who have been wanting it added happy and satisfied and makes their game more enjoyable, then I'm perfectly okay with it being added. But I will never, ever be on "Team Add Disabilities".

You do have a valid point. This is why, from the start, I mentioned taking things VERRRRY slowly. That's why I originally suggested canes and ramps. Devs already have steps and cane mods to base them off of.

There is this against even that- devs have limits on what they can do as well. Game engines are never perfect... (Yay...)

Additionally, they added the dreaded lactose intolerance. They seem to already be moving in this direction, in a sense. Now, are intolerances the same as 3rd degree burns or wheel chairs? Far from it. I see it only as a first few steps.

Who gets to be represented... Currently it's only those with certain intolerances. Perhaps the next step for them is allergies?

I take that back They also have glasses, but not much beyond just having Sims wear them. If there are other things I'm missing, please remind me, but the devs could do something like add moodlets when one isn't wearing their glasses if they have any, and making them unable to read or something as well. Generic, know, and glasses are definitely not just for reading or seeing up close. It was just an example.

Back to lactose intolerance. Yes- things got bad, to say the least. But there are some good ideas stated on the thread debating whether this intolerance should be removed. Maybe they made it so they could see customers' reactions and see if anyone had ideas in tweaking it as needed.

Now, say they finished tweaking lactose intolerance without nerfing it. This opens the door for making representations of other conditions.

As I said, the process is terribly slow, but things can eventually work. If desired, this thread could serve as a base for issues with such things, so devs know where to look for Issues with their representations. If you want to use this thread as a base, all I ask is that we try to stay calm when discussing issues.
  • Options
    Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,674 Member
    edited September 2021
    I think an on/off switch can be added, and it must be solemn (sorry that my words may be weird, because English is just a foreign language to me). Cause I haven't played TS4 for a long time, I don't know what happened to the lactose intolerance trait, maybe gurus make it too "humorously"?

About the disabilities question, different people have different ideas. It isn't excluded that some people with disabilities feel that adding disabilites is some form of "comfort" or other similar, but some people feel that it is offensive. For "storyteller" players, this can enrich their character design - I'm a storyteller, I have three such or similar sims in TS3 - one with savant syndrome, one is monocular blindness, one has some form of eye disease. I can only reflect these in the traits and sim bios. So I think the best way to deal with it is to add a switch and make it solemn.

There's still a problem is how does it work. This seems to involve a lot of code, like the people above me said.

And I heard that someone wants to add an allergy option. Many people actually have a allergy-like condition to a certain food (or it is actually a very mild allergy), such as can't eating coriander. I can't eat fat pork without deep processing (such as deep-fried) because I can eat it with a very nauseating taste. I heard that someone can't eat pork liver because they can eat it with a strong gamey taste. When I was very young, I would feel sick when I drank pure cow's milk, but goat's milk, milk powder and yogurt are fine (I think it's because my digestive system was not developed enough). But many people have more than these allergies. If allergies are added, How does it work? It may be complicated.
    I also have a sim in TS3 who is allergic to meat (I heard that there're such people in reality), but I can only choose vegetarian trait. I don't know if vegetarians in real life will actually behave like in the game when they eat meat... But to me as a non-vegetarian, I think that's more like allergy (no offence)
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    It would also be nice if, for a simple concept, if we could add robotic limbs to represent stuff like paralysis. This is a legit concept. Trying to add picture in a post for first time...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.NwtIF1mHuvPWdf9S7gmOCwHaE7%26pid%3DApi&f=1
  • Options
    I think an on/off switch can be added, and it must be solemn (sorry that my words may be weird, because English is just a foreign language to me). Cause I haven't played TS4 for a long time, I don't know what happened to the lactose intolerance trait, maybe gurus make it too "humorously"?

About the disabilities question, different people have different ideas. It isn't excluded that some people with disabilities feel that adding disabilites is some form of "comfort" or other similar, but some people feel that it is offensive. For "storyteller" players, this can enrich their character design - I'm a storyteller, I have three such or similar sims in TS3 - one with savant syndrome, one is monocular blindness, one has some form of eye disease. I can only reflect these in the traits and sim bios. So I think the best way to deal with it is to add a switch and make it solemn.

There's still a problem is how does it work. This seems to involve a lot of code, like the people above me said.

And I heard that someone wants to add an allergy option. Many people actually have a allergy-like condition to a certain food (or it is actually a very mild allergy), such as can't eating coriander. I can't eat fat pork without deep processing (such as deep-fried) because I can eat it with a very nauseating taste. I heard that someone can't eat pork liver because they can eat it with a strong gamey taste. When I was very young, I would feel sick when I drank pure cow's milk, but goat's milk, milk powder and yogurt are fine (I think it's because my digestive system was not developed enough). But many people have more than these allergies. If allergies are added, How does it work? It may be complicated.
    I also have a sim in TS3 who is allergic to meat (I heard that there're such people in reality), but I can only choose vegetarian trait. I don't know if vegetarians in real life will actually behave like in the game when they eat meat... But to me as a non-vegetarian, I think that's more like allergy (no offence)

And I agree with you on this, although I don't mind satire in other aspects- just not this one. Sims can portray other things as funny imo. This is more about diversity.
  • Options
    Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    I don't think I have any problem if the developer decides to add disabilities. But if they reject this idea, I will totally understand why. I heard animation took a long time to create, and let's take a wheelchair as an example. Here I'll list how many new animation needed:
    • 'climbing' stair animation. This mean new objects too
    • cooking animation. They can't just use the existing animation because the hand angle, height, all need to be adjusted to a sitting position
    • grilling animation
    • shower animation
    • get to bed animation
    • they shouldn't be stuck on a wheelchair forever, so there should be new animation for them changing to sofa/armchair/dining chair.
    • gardening animation
    • playing/putting down guitar animation
    • playing basketball animation
    • swimming animation
    • and many more
    Not to mention how many disabilities players want? blind? unable to walk? deaf? etc
    With each disabilities the animation and work need to be done will be keep on multiplying
  • Options
    Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    Where would it stop?

Perfectly well said. My problem with people pushing representation to the max is that it feels like "Add this to the game or you're not inclusive" "if you reject this idea then you're excluding others". There's no way any game could represent everyone, whether it's a disability, culture, etc. I live in Indonesia and I don't even know if there's Indonesian food in the game or not, let alone the culture or outfit.
  • Options
    I don't think I have any problem if the developer decides to add disabilities. But if they reject this idea, I will totally understand why. I heard animation took a long time to create, and let's take a wheelchair as an example. Here I'll list how many new animation needed:
    • 'climbing' stair animation. This mean new objects too
    • cooking animation. They can't just use the existing animation because the hand angle, height, all need to be adjusted to a sitting position
    • grilling animation
    • shower animation
    • get to bed animation
    • they shouldn't be stuck on a wheelchair forever, so there should be new animation for them changing to sofa/armchair/dining chair.
    • gardening animation
    • playing/putting down guitar animation
    • playing basketball animation
    • swimming animation
    • and many more
    Not to mention how many disabilities players want? blind? unable to walk? deaf? etc
    With each disabilities the animation and work need to be done will be keep on multiplying

I can help with a few of these animation concepts.

Stair climbing- IRL, there are special chairs one can sit on that moves up and down the steps. 1 new object, maybe 1 animation.

Cooking- counters can be specially made to be shorter than normal ones. If the Sim is only confined to the wheel chair, the cooking animation is only different for the legs.

Shower- special baths are available that have doors. One opens the door and sits down. Then use an animation similar to the bath animation, depending on the disability.

And on what disabilities are desired, let's just ask our community here- what do you want to see? We could start there. That gives us a glimpse of exactly how large this project would actually be.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I said it in past threads I'll say it again here I don't really want disabilities in game but I don't think it would hurt anything
    however I don't think it can be done in sims 4 the gestures that they do every time they talk in sims 4 that would make it
    very unlikely to add even something as simply as a cane let alone bigger things
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    I said it in past threads I'll say it again here I don't really want disabilities in game but I don't think it would hurt anything
    however I don't think it can be done in sims 4 the gestures that they do every time they talk in sims 4 that would make it

Exactly why I ask. :) If I'm the only one then forget it, but if I'm not...
  • Options

even if you are the only one its still okay to ask I was only pointing out that I don't think they can do that
    they don't even make water in all worlds swimable because it might
    old saves what you want would take
    far more work and would be way harder to do
  • Options
    edited September 2021

even if you are the only one its still okay to ask I was only pointing out that I don't think they can do that

I believe it will be hard. Trust me on that! And this question is not meant to be harsh for you. If I am the only one, then EA shouldn't bother. I just want to make sure I am or not.
  • Options
    daryl921daryl921 Posts: 11 New Member
    I think blind sims would go well with the cat and dogs packs.Guide dogs would be neat and teaching them how to guide person would be interesting.People in a wheel chair as a..vehicle shall we say should be doable as well.Sport for the handicapped people like wheel chair basket and archery also can be good.Just raising some ideas.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I'd like to see some mental stuff. There's a mod for aspbergs, I think, and ADHD- but they are broken to my knowledge. Basemental Drugs comes close but its ADHD trait could use tweaking. The ADHD trait seems to have no hyperfocus ability for any likes, which is one very important aspect.

Also very curious on how they could add allergies. Cottage Living would be great for this. Not just foods, also there's an allergy to various weeds and pollen, the sun, dust mites (Yikes!) different animals (sorry, dogs, cats, bunnies, and foxes). Not sure about birds, though I could believe there is.
  • Options
    I didn't find your question harsh

I believe it will be hard. Trust me on that! And this question is not meant to be harsh for you. If I am the only one, then EA shouldn't bother. I just want to make sure I am or not.

I didn't find your question harsh I was just answering you and telling you
    that even if you were the only one that wanted it that it would still be okay to ask
    after all your wants are just as valid as mine I just don't think it can be done in sims 4 the game is seven years old
  • Options
    Not necessarily Sims 4. I can wait until Sims 5... So long as I have at least the option to play offline
  • Options
    Also recall someone mentioning garlic allergies. The real stuff- not vampiric.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I'd like to see some mental stuff. There's a mod for aspbergs, I think, and ADHD- but they are broken to my knowledge. Basemental Drugs comes close but its ADHD trait could use tweaking. The ADHD trait seems to have no hyperfocus ability for any likes, which is one very important aspect.

Nope. No mental disabilities, thanks.
  • Options

Nope. No mental disabilities, thanks.

Why not? Even in the first post, there was mention of a neurologist.
  • Options
    What other conditions do people want to see? And don't forget to like if you think the concepts are good ideas!
  • Options
    Thinking I should've made a poll. Lol. Oh well.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I think treating peoples’ disabilities as trite novelties for your own amusement is gross.
  • Options
    I think treating peoples’ disabilities as trite novelties for your own amusement is gross.

It's not.

@MadameLee wrote:

Flag Quote · Insightful 1Like 1Awesome
    « 1 6 7 »
    Search discussion
    Leave a Comment
    Type your comment
    You can use BBCode in your post.

This was more the light I was going for.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top