Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 devs opening up discussion about expanding the depth of the basegame and

Before they do this and their thread is bombed with requests for more content that is only surface level fun, I want to again say that Sims 4 is in desperate need of story progression. If the devs aren't sure what I mean by this, I mean an integrated solution that does everything MC Command Center does.

Unplayed sims should have their own children, they should get married on their own, they should advance through the generations alongside your played sims. Clubs should replenish themselves, active careers should replenish themselves, and like, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

This must be done in order to make Sims 4 a complete game, and no amount of surface level additions, like cars and robbers, are going to bring it to that point. While these would be great additions, it's all just pieces of the puzzle without the foundation that Deaderpool has given PC players. You do this and I guarantee you will change the lives of console Sims 4 players, drastically.

This should be the top, number one suggestion for expansion of depth in the basegame, and almost nothing else.
Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'

Comments

• Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,589 Member
    I don't play with MCCC and wouldn't be interested at all. But I guess a lot of people would be.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,899 Member
    If this kind of story progression is added to the game, there better be a LOT of toggles and options, like MCCC has. I always play with aging off, and if every random townie/premade family had babies....? I need a way to easily age those up without having to actually PLAY the family, because yikes.... I had to set MCCC to only give babies to married couples, because every single female in my saves had kids with random guys (who they hadn't even MET, so baby just magically appeared), plus most the married premades had babies too. Its the biggest problem for me as an aging-off rotational player.

As for the careers, nobody dies in my game, unless there's an accident (like freezing to death because of stupidity, and usually I can prevent that too). There's rarely any reason to add new workers. The game is already too bloated with all the service npc's and the constant need for sims for different "roles". Why do we need 3 mixologists for every bar in every world? We can only ever visit one at a time, so 3 is the total number of bartenders ever needed. Randomly generated new "barflys"...? Really? Why not use sims already in world? More than plenty to choose from.

I still don't think they will do story progression very good, so I'll probably turn that option off (just like I did in TS3) and continue to use MCCC or any other mod I feel will add what I need to my game. I don't feel Story progression will add any depth to my game. Better sim personality will. They've done some great work on that lately, with sentiments/likes/dislikes etc, but I still think those features need more work: for example a sim that dislikes something, should never do that something, autonomously or player directed. Don't like playing guitar, then they should refuse to play it even if I tell them to. Now every sim will do things if they like it or not, so they still all feel the same.

If this is about adding MCCC's features for console players, those players knew they couldn't use mods when they chose console as their preferred platform, right? I'm also curious WHY console can't use mods, and if its impossible to do at all (like adding some framework, or what have you). Now THAT would open up a lot of options for those players. The last sims game I played on console was Bustin' Out, so forgive me for my lack of knowledge! :)
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I too play with aging off and do not want my "unplayed sims" (who are actually my sims that I'm currently not playing) to get married, divorced, have kids, move out, die, etc ..... NOPE! Not interested.
    These aren‘t unplayed sims though.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,436 Member
    If I set up my world with my sims, regardless if I'm "playing" them, I don't want story-progression messing with them ... AT ALL. Obviously I placed them in my world for a reason and took the time to create them with specific traits, looks, families, etc. Maybe I just want these particular sims in my world as background sims. Either way, I'm not interested in any type of story-progression, never used it in TS3 and wouldn't use it in TS4. I control who does what in my game.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited August 2021
    NO, no, no, no thank you. We do not need all that mumbo jumbo mucking up our games.

There are things that really need their attention, like fixing ALL the bugs.
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    NO, no, no, no thank you. We do not need all that mumbo jumbo mucking up our games.

There are things that really need their attention, like fixing ALL the bugs.

A lot of people (myself included) would love if they added story progression. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean they shouldn't add it. They should definitely add options, though.
    He/Him
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited August 2021
    I agree. I love MC Command Center and couldn’t play without it. Having unplayed sims marry, have babies, get jobs and live their lives makes the world so much more interesting and fun.
    I get that a lot of people like to control their games, so they don’t like this feature. We would have to have toggles to turn it On and Off.
    But I feel like it would add a lot of life to the bland worlds of the Sims 4.

But I do wonder whether EA could do a good enough job as MC Command Center at making a strong, detailed and in-depth story mode…
  • Options
    LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    edited August 2021
    Ravenna wrote: »
    Before they do this and their thread is bombed with requests for more content that is only surface level fun, I want to again say that Sims 4 is in desperate need of story progression. If the devs aren't sure what I mean by this, I mean an integrated solution that does everything MC Command Center does.

Unplayed sims should have their own children, they should get married on their own, they should advance through the generations alongside your played sims. Clubs should replenish themselves, active careers should replenish themselves, and like, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

This must be done in order to make Sims 4 a complete game, and no amount of surface level additions, like cars and robbers, are going to bring it to that point. While these would be great additions, it's all just pieces of the puzzle without the foundation that Deaderpool has given PC players. You do this and I guarantee you will change the lives of console Sims 4 players, drastically.

This should be the top, number one suggestion for expansion of depth in the basegame, and almost nothing else.

I think it's a great idea if they get everything working. MCCC makes the Sim world come to life with all those additions. And to the people complaining about it because they play with aging off, they don't have to worry about it because they play with aging off. Or add some special toggle.

I'd also like to see non played sims moving up in the career ladder. Maybe even some workplace competition indicated by random messages during the work day. Nothing crazy or super in depth though.
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 396 Member
    No offense, but a yeah, they can't even fix the gardening bug.
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    You can do all that with a mod, right?

Because frankly, I don't require any of it to have a satisfactory experience playing the Sims I create and progress - who are the ones I actually care about. Townies can go on being background. I am fine keeping aging off, and using cas.fulleditmode to manually age up those with whom my Elders have had long-standing relationships.

(e.g. Mortimer and Bella are elders now, because they have grandchildren in common with my founders, but Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab are still adults, Johnny Zest is still a YA, and Malcolm is still a teen because I have no particular concern with them in my stories.)

I want the dev team to go ahead with the updates which, since they have told us they are undertaking, they have determined are the best use of development money for the results they can get. The Sims 4 is the game it is, with the engine it has.

If you can do all those things with a mod, and they matter to you, be glad for the mod and for modders. But I trust the studio to know what's under the hood of the game, and to make good use of the resources, time and skills they have.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,011 Member
    inmyeye wrote: »
    No offense, but a yeah, they can't even fix the gardening bug.
    My exact first thought too!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited August 2021
    I’m on the fence with story progression integrating into the game. I would have to jump on the toggle bandwagon there. I use MCCC but sometimes I don’t use the story progression because it sometimes fouls up my story. I would like to see traits having more impact as others have said like hot headed sims and mean sims having difficulty maintaining relationships. Romantic sims should flirt autonomously and it should negatively impact their relationship if they have a significant other already. Uneven relationship levels would also be great if possible. It would be more interesting if sim A liked/loved sim B but maybe sim B likes/loves A less or not at all.

Actions should have consequences in relationships as other have said. If a spouse is caught cheating the wronged spouse should stay mad for hours, or days even and there should be a direct negative impact on their relationship and it should be hard to rebuild it.

Chance cards are another way to have actions have consequences. Enough of this small to medium gain or loss nonsense. Give us a chance at real gains or losses! Your sim might be immediately fired and can’t immediately return to that career, or has to start all over from the bottom or from a much lower rung on the ladder, and the opposite depending on your choice your sim might be promoted two or more rungs or receives a bonus. In the business career it would be great if once you can invest there’s a chance for those investments to have major financial impact, like utterly wiping you out, or vaulting you into the financial stratosphere.

In the case of school, sim kids should be able to be at least suspended for choices on chance cards and that should impact their grade and some of their relationships, maybe friendship levels could rise or drop depending on the traits of friends. Like if your friend is good it may negatively impact your friendship if you’re suspended if they’re evil maybe you tick up a notch in their eyes.

Cooking with zero skill should be more dangerous and being extinguished shouldn’t be guaranteed, same with performing repairs at zero skill, right now I don’t hesitate to have a sim with zero handiness fix things because without the cursed lot trait there’s a 99.99% chance they will be fine.

In fact that’s my biggest point, it supposed to be a life simulation but it really only simulates 1950s everything is safe and rosy sitcom life. There’s no risk and therefore no real reward. It’s no sense of accomplishment when you make a lot of money because there’s no real impediment to making a lot of money, and there’s no sense of accomplishment when you manage to steer a sim to old age because there’s no real impediment to them getting old, and there’s no sense of accomplishment when your sims are happy for months on end because there is no impediment to their happiness. It’s 99.99% guaranteed that a sim you create in CAS or who you raise from birth in game will die very happy and old, and I don’t know whose life that simulates but it ain’t anyone I know.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    My first thought.....Nope. Please don't try to implement something as complex as story progression when we have so many unaddressed bugs running around. New animations would be nice, as well as cars, freed babies, better whims, more romantic interactions, a couples slow dance, more pool stuff, a family tree that includes cousins, stepparents, stepsiblings, great grandparents, uncles and aunts, mermaids were quite disappointing so they need more depth, new hobbies for everyone (like favorite video games with special buffs when being played), more dance moves like the tango or ballroom dancing or just bring back the Sims3 dance moves, BANDS, fewer empty shells cluttering the towns and the horizon, CAW tools, fix the lag I get while in build mode and after exiting build mode, fix this awful gardening bug, enemies should never become friends after being caught with one's spouse, after an argument, or after a physical altercation. How about making it possible for our Sims to cuddle in bed, read or watch tv while relaxing in bed, talk to one another while relaxing in lounge chairs or while fishing. Here's one that really bothers me: Why do our Sims make their empty drink glass disappear while in a bar, but when at home they have to get up and leave a group that is sitting outside around a fire or sitting on a deck just socializing, then wander off to do something else rather than return to their guests? Why can't the empty glass just go into their inventory to be washed later? This is especially annoying when a special event is taking place where drinking is one of the traditions or goals.

Before attempting to add something like story progression there's a lot of work that needs to happen first. Adding to a game that is already glitchy and often doesn't make much sense, will only push fans away. It doesn't matter how shiny and new content is if it lacks worth and a reason for being in the game. And if we can't utilize the new content without encountering a myriad of glitches, it isn't worth anything to us. The creative teams need to remember we own many packs now after almost seven years of playing Sims4, so all the packs should be tested with whatever new content is being created. The Sims is a unique game that requires a bit more care and attention when it comes to adding new content. I think the teams may need to hit up EA for more money so every update and pack can have the time it needs to be fully tested before
    we get it. If that means we wait a bit longer that's fine. But I am sure tired of finding the bugs the teams missed.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I too play with aging off and do not want my "unplayed sims" (who are actually my sims that I'm currently not playing) to get married, divorced, have kids, move out, die, etc ..... NOPE! Not interested.

I'm interested in seeing these "smarter sims" they advertised from the beginning.

I'm interested in better Autonomy, making traits that actually work.
    - Brainy, bookworm sims would be more likely to gravitate towards grabbing a book rather than "trolling the forums" on a PC.
    - Slob traited sims don't autonomously clean up and do dishes or take the trash out
    - Athletic sims would rather jog, work out, swim, etc rather than being obsessed with their phone or computer, etc.

I'm interested in "seeing" how my sims feel rather than having a pop-up telling me how they feel.

I'm interested in sims "remembering" things
    - Don't get into a major fight with the neighbor or see your spouse/significant other cheat on you and then 5 minutes later be joking and hugging that sim

I'm interested in actual "group" activities,
    -Not this oh there's 3 kids at the park but that's just it, 3 different individual kids doing THEIR own thing, it's not 3 kids "playing with each other"

There are so so soooo many more things for me personally that would add depth than story-progression

I’m with you on this. I will be asking for better autonomy. The likes and dislikes aren’t performing as advertised. I want these things (along with traits, sentiments and lifestyles) to really guide my sims in what they autonomously do. And the things that ALL sims autonomously do (get water, dance, use computer, clean) could be toned down unless a sim has a tendency towards that. “Smarter sims” at long last would be great. And more activities for them to do together would be awesome as well!
  • Options
    LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    It's funny how play styles in the Sims 4 vary so greatly that it's difficult to come to a consensus on, well, anything really. Although that's probably one of the great things about the game; that it allows such varied play styles because it's really just a huge sandbox.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,053 Member
    Like I'd be glad to have it as an option for the people who want it, but I don't want my sims breeding with hideous townies.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I definitely do not want story progression at all. I hated it in Sims 3. I am the type who likes to be in charge of all my stories and choose whenever somebody dies or gets married. However, I sometimes allow random things happen in my game and roll with it. I play my game like a soap opera and have had the same save since September 2014! I am realizing how crazy and awesome that is that I've had a save so long. I personally think the number one things should be a CAS PERSONALITY overhaul and them finishing what they started with the likes/dislikes. There too many omissions from there. They need to make the traits drive sim behavior and unique personality above all else and up it to maybe up to 6 traits for young adult and up and give player choice as to if they want to make their sim have 6 or if they want to keep it at the 3 traits like they've had forever. This has been a fantastic year for my favorite game and I am hopeful that we will see more great features be added. :)
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    As long as story progression is added as an option I’m okay with it. I’m a micromanager of my worlds and the sims in it because I’m a story teller and every sim and setting has a role to play. But I agree that there should be an option for players who prefer a more natural state of progression surrounding their sims since we all play differently.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,571 Member
    i also disagree with this as a player that has aging fully turn off in gameso i really do not see a point in adding this feture resouce would be better off on adding missing content like more furniture top load washer with matching dryer cars ect
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    I agree that story progression should be added, to the base game, by the devs, to the degree Deaderpool has managed. It's so immersive, and it's really needed. There are so many aspects that I'm sure many, many console players wish they could have, but they can't, because they can't mod their games.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    As someone who plays with aging off, the last thing I wanna experience is my game being bloated from all of the unplayed Sims and townies having babies on their own. So I for one am not interested in that sort of story progression and would much prefer something else.

In light of this, they should do it like The Sims 3 did. You could disable story progression altogether, so both play styles- With and without- were included. Yes, it's an extra option to enable/disable, but all-in-all, that's a fairly "safe" and manageable solution in my opinion.

There is so much they could add to the progression, and I'm really glad Clubs refreshing themselves was brought up. As well as careers. It feels kind of like these sort of things are forgotten, because so many people either just don't mention it, play without story progression needs (nothing wrong with that!) or mod their game (on PC) to solve this. It would be great if it was included :wink: