Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't want to have to do as I am told.

wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The sims 2 had a lot of hoops you had to jump through until your sim reached platinum. If you didn't jump through those hoops then your sim became depressed and any kind of game play was challenging. I didn't love it. In Sims 3 there was story progression and it could be ignored so honestly I didn't care. I like creating my own drama and orchestrating how that turns out. I am also grateful that no one is going to suddenly drop into my gameplay and challenge me. I get enough of that in real life. We have people who are not mentally healthy. I avoid them like the plague in real life but in a virtual world it is harder. I know that we are suppose to be talking more about what we like about the current sim version as we look forward to the next version. I don't want to have to steer my sim through hoops to maintain happiness or pursue my personal goals on behalf of the sim I am playing and I do not want a virtual world merging into my sim time. I wonder how other people feel.
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I feel like I dictated to more in TS4 than in TS2, and both are my favorites. TS4 just barely edges out TS2 in fact. But I also didn't play TS3, and remember how it was when it was the game du jour. Lots of complaining then too lol.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited March 2021
    I enjoy Sims 4 for the exact same reasons and although I didn't exactly hate Sims 3, it ranks very low on my scale because of the pesky story progression finding ways to get its way even when I turned it off (accelerated aging, sims moving away, inventory clear upon move out, unwanted jobs for moved out sims, nonsensical curfew). When I left it behind in favour of Sims 2 again, I felt relieved. It's definitely not healthy to feel a burden off your back when you stop playing a videogame. Switching between 2 and 4 to the contrary makes me feel slightly sad, because I like both.

That said, I play Sims 2 at the moment and am way more relaxed about aspirations than before. Back when I last played, I still made sure everyone was always in platinium mood, now if they roll out-of character wants and fears that's not on me, but on my sims and they have to live with it. Except for when I want to use an aspiration reward, being in the green "only" is nothing bad. And if they drop too low, a date fixes every dissatisfaction. Also genie lamps, each one equaling three sims getting perma-plat, are pretty common. I got three in a single season (in three different households, of course).
    I also age my sims whenever want now... long story short, I brought a lot of "bad" habits with me from Sims 4.

(Both Sims 4 and 2 are modded, I should maybe add.)
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    When I don't want the challenge of needs all the time, in sims3, I just enable testing cheats and drag needs up manually or do a mailbox cheat to stop needs from degrading. It's nice to have a game in which Sims actually take initiative on their own lives again. Got tired of playing with mindless puppets.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited March 2021
    I like the hoops - I don't want to play dolls. I want a challenge. The trick is to have enough of choices of different hoops that everyone get a chance to play their kind of hoops. In Sims 2 it was very flexible how you got to the goal, and you could change the goal if you wanted to. I don't see a problem.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    The way I see it, gameplay is very important sure, but after Sims 3 I have found ease of playing takes precendence in Sims 4. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing Sims 4, relatively less buggy than any of its predecessors. How many packs are we at now, 38, 39 and my game still runs well even after 3 gb of cc. You can discuss gameplay all you want, if your computer can't handle it gameplay goes out the window. :p
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I'm flexible I enjoy both hoops and dollhouse play. I loved TS2 and the challenge it provided. TS4 leaves a lot to the player to decide, but gotten used to it and enjoy it as well.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I agree about Sims 2 although I did enjoy playing it I did feel I always had to be on top of those aspirations and wants and fears and some to me were over the top. I usually played a knowledge sim or a serial romantic and I'd get the same rolls: woohoo so many sims, woohoo so many service sims .. although dating was pretty fun once you got those rolling. Then with knowledge it wasn't too bad it was mostly about getting a skill to the next level and trying to lock the ones you knew that you could or would want to do. Then you'd of course try to get more want and fear panels available and find ways to lock more possibilities. It was gameplay, but yeah I felt guided more than I wanted to be and a little boxed in. I remember getting mods for locks and expansion of wants and fears so I wouldn't have to send every sim to college ect.
    I still like some guidance along with the ability to tell my own stories or decide what my sim should do so Sims 4 is better fit for me. Thing is I didn't know that I would like it better because I really enjoyed Sims 2 while playing it. Now I wouldn't want to be tied into having to live by a sims wants and fears personally. Although it would be nice if they had more say in what they wanted I still want to be able to say "NO.. I want you to do this and you better like it!" I don't know where that happy spot for all simmers would be... I don't think there is one.
    I really like the ability to aspiration switch easily that Sims 4 offers when I do kind of want some guidance but need a change of pace. Sure Sims 4 is definitely easier and you have to find ways to challenge yourself or guide yourself... It really has changed. I guess I can see why that would disappoint some simmers.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Glad you have TS4 to let you play the way you want to play.

Personally, I prefer the challenge offered in previous Sims games (which is what it sounds like you don’t like).

Well, no I don't prefer that but I do appreciate knowing what the sims community has to say. I have always understood that we don't all love the game for the same reasons and diversity is better than nothing outside the lines. What do you think about the fifth version of the sims being an online platform?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I love playing with a combination of the "dollhouse", challenges, outerspace play & historical play. ;)
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2021
    I prefer the sims to be more of a game where I get ideas for different scenarios and the game rewards me or punishes me depending on how I play.
    I want pre-made sims with backstories, npc sims, events and scenarios, traits and aspirations that are fun to play. I feel much more motivated to try out different things, it's very difficult for me to do that when things are just rabbit holes or sims are constantly happy all the time.

If it's just a dollhouse then I can easily end up not doing anything, I just go to work, come back, take care of needs and repeat and the game becomes very boring for me.

I liked the Paranormal DLC for example because you actually had to take care of your sims and play it properly. It also had npc sims with roles and different scenarios that could happen.
  • Options
    I feel like I dictated to more in TS4 than in TS2, and both are my favorites. TS4 just barely edges out TS2 in fact. But I also didn't play TS3, and remember how it was when it was the game du jour. Lots of complaining then too lol.

The sims 3 was lots of fun but it definitely had routing issues that became more troublesome as the game aged. I did have a good gaming rig and seldom ran into issues...the sims 3 version of Island Paradise was gorgeous and a nightmare for lots of people. I played the sims beginning in 2001 and have always ended up with all the packs/stuff packs. Many players who tried that with sims 3 ended up with something rather unplayable and that was too bad. I had many things about sims2 that I liked but having to meet certain set goals was not one of them. I would say that sims4 has been the most playable for the most people for the longest period of time. There has always been a good sized booing section for the sims. Funny how through the years people will say the same things somewhat repeatedly. The constructive criticism is good the rest is laughable most of the time. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    wickichick wrote: »
    I like creating my own drama and orchestrating how that turns out. I am also grateful that no one is going to suddenly drop into my gameplay and challenge me. I get enough of that in real life. We have people who are not mentally healthy. I avoid them like the plague in real life but in a virtual world it is harder. .

Wait but why are you avoiding mentally ill people? 😂 There's probably someone in your life who is mentally ill. Most do. Please dont avoid us too much lol;;;

But as far as your point, I love the goals in TS2. You don't have to reach platinum to play or for your sim to be happy. Most of mine dont. The mental breakdowns were consequences I loved for more dynamic play. If if its really bothersome, you could always use cheats. But I see why youd like Sims 4 more. Its for this reason I also don't like TS4.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    I enjoy Sims 4 for the exact same reasons and although I didn't exactly hate Sims 3, it ranks very low on my scale because of the pesky story progression finding ways to get its way even when I turned it off (accelerated aging, sims moving away, inventory clear upon move out, unwanted jobs for moved out sims, nonsensical curfew). When I left it behind in favour of Sims 2 again, I felt relieved. It's definitely not healthy to feel a burden off your back when you stop playing a videogame. Switching between 2 and 4 to the contrary makes me feel slightly sad, because I like both.

That said, I play Sims 2 at the moment and am way more relaxed about aspirations than before. Back when I last played, I still made sure everyone was always in platinium mood, now if they roll out-of character wants and fears that's not on me, but on my sims and they have to live with it. Except for when I want to use an aspiration reward, being in the green "only" is nothing bad. And if they drop too low, a date fixes every dissatisfaction. Also genie lamps, each one equaling three sims getting perma-plat, are pretty common. I got three in a single season (in three different households, of course).
    I also age my sims whenever want now... long story short, I brought a lot of "bad" habits with me from Sims 4.

(Both Sims 4 and 2 are modded, I should maybe add.)

I so agree with you...I didn't hate sims3 but I did turn story progression off. What concerns me is that my enjoyment of playing things out according to my own scheme of things seems to not be the popular choice. Many people want the game directing how the lives of their sims will play out. It is probably the single most complaint people have. It seems the majority find the lack of story progression and hoops to be what is broken in the sims4. The primary complaint being that sims lack character and depth and people prefer having the game do that for them unless somehow I am reading it wrong. Lol ....now I remember the genie lamp in sims2. Love that you said you take it less seriously now..good for you! I also love that you brought "bad" habits with you from the sims 4!

• Options
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    The way I see it, gameplay is very important sure, but after Sims 3 I have found ease of playing takes precendence in Sims 4. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing Sims 4, relatively less buggy than any of its predecessors. How many packs are we at now, 38, 39 and my game still runs well even after 3 gb of cc. You can discuss gameplay all you want, if your computer can't handle it gameplay goes out the window. :p

That is so true, this version (the sims4) plays better by far than past versions. That is a big plus really. It is very true that having a rig that can pull a lot of weight is nice too. Less hic ups for sure!
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Glad you have TS4 to let you play the way you want to play.

Personally, I prefer the challenge offered in previous Sims games (which is what it sounds like you don’t like).

Well, no I don't prefer that but I do appreciate knowing what the sims community has to say. I have always understood that we don't all love the game for the same reasons and diversity is better than nothing outside the lines. What do you think about the fifth version of the sims being an online platform?

The reason I made my comment is because the last sentence of your original post expressed interest in hearing what others thought.

Some games that I play have some aspect of online features these days (trading and battling in Pokémon, island visits in Animal Crossing, multiplayer in Civilization VI, etc.) but they are primarily single player games, and that’s what I prefer. If TS5 relies heavily on online components, I doubt I’ll have any desire to play it.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    The sims 2 had a lot of hoops you had to jump through until your sim reached platinum. If you didn't jump through those hoops then your sim became depressed and any kind of game play was challenging. I didn't love it. In Sims 3 there was story progression and it could be ignored so honestly I didn't care. I like creating my own drama and orchestrating how that turns out. I am also grateful that no one is going to suddenly drop into my gameplay and challenge me. I get enough of that in real life. We have people who are not mentally healthy. I avoid them like the plague in real life but in a virtual world it is harder. I know that we are suppose to be talking more about what we like about the current sim version as we look forward to the next version. I don't want to have to steer my sim through hoops to maintain happiness or pursue my personal goals on behalf of the sim I am playing and I do not want a virtual world merging into my sim time. I wonder how other people feel.

I like having control but I also like unexpecting things happening in my game aswell like burglars etc (I want those pests back 😂) and I would also like story progression
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »

That is so true, this version (the sims4) plays better by far than past versions. That is a big plus really. It is very true that having a rig that can pull a lot of weight is nice too. Less hic ups for sure!

It's definitely the most stable of the four in this stage of its development cycle. The Sims 3's engine, in particular, required mods to prevent it from collapsing under the weight of the DLC. I think that this is one of the things that I appreciate the most about it. It doesn't do everything I want, but none of the games did that either. I didn't care for The Sims 2's random sim culling and dimensional time. I didn't care for, well, really anything about The Sims 3. I even didn't like Makin' Magic. I know, I was the only person who didn't.

The Sims 4 has become my favorite version, displacing The Sims 2, and I think that the freedom and flexibility is a large part of it.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I love creating my own stories. For that matter that's how I played Sims2, as well. If my Sim lost a job because I, as the player, made the wrong choice on the situation, I would just have that Sim get another job. I am very much enjoying Sims4. I have some nifty mods I use to help enhance my game play. I don't go backward. Haven't played Sims2 or 3 really, since Sims 4 was released. I did play Sims2, to get me used to loading screens again.

As for the notion Sims5 is going to be a platform, MMO type game. No, thank you. My little gnome was killed more than once by other players I'm guessing just for kicks. Wasn't exactly fun for me, but, I am 'over' that type of MMO play.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I like creating my own drama and orchestrating how that turns out. I am also grateful that no one is going to suddenly drop into my gameplay and challenge me. I get enough of that in real life. We have people who are not mentally healthy. I avoid them like the plague in real life but in a virtual world it is harder. .

Wait but why are you avoiding mentally ill people? 😂 There's probably someone in your life who is mentally ill. Most do. Please dont avoid us too much lol;;;

But as far as your point, I love the goals in TS2. You don't have to reach platinum to play or for your sim to be happy. Most of mine dont. The mental breakdowns were consequences I loved for more dynamic play. If if its really bothersome, you could always use cheats. But I see why youd like Sims 4 more. Its for this reason I also don't like TS4.

I played in a virtual world and the mannerisms of some people is so disturbing for me. Let me explain. I was interacting with people from all over the world and probably 90% were very nice and pleasant....those that were not sent disturbing messages that collectively become challenging to erase and it affects some people more than it might others. I honestly don't rule anyone out as a friend regardless because we all deal with something but I don't want bullies, those who cannot appreciate inclusivity, and bold offensive statements. It exists everywhere but in a sandbox game it doesn't. I see where I should have clarified my thoughts. I would completely understand how the sims4 would not offer the dynamics you enjoy. Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I want a balance. I think the Sims 2 way was a bit much although I enjoyed it back in the day.

I like having control of what happens in my game but at the same time I don't want sims that are all the same personality wise or a game where nothing random ever happens. It makes everything rather dull.
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    I like certain things about TS4, but I do not want a virtual dollhouse. I like having goals for my Sims, & I often find the gameplay in TS4 to be too easy & lackluster. I prefer the challenge, personality and lore that came in TS1 & TS2.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I want a balance. I think the Sims 2 way was a bit much although I enjoyed it back in the day.

I like having control of what happens in my game but at the same time I don't want sims that are all the same personality wise or a game where nothing random ever happens. It makes everything rather dull.
    I agree with this.

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Wow NationalPokedex, you play both the Sims game & Civilization VI. I though I was the only one.
    Have you ever noticed after playing Civ VI & feeling the need to play Sims 4 to give you brain a break? :D
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

I played in a virtual world and the mannerisms of some people is so disturbing for me. Let me explain. I was interacting with people from all over the world and probably 90% were very nice and pleasant....those that were not sent disturbing messages that collectively become challenging to erase and it affects some people more than it might others. I honestly don't rule anyone out as a friend regardless because we all deal with something but I don't want bullies, those who cannot appreciate inclusivity, and bold offensive statements. It

Oh i thought you were meaning the aspiration failure in TS2 when the therapist would fly down 😂😂😂 no def if you are getting disturbing or upsetting messages its definitely good to set boundaries.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.