Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A friendly Request to EA: Fantasy Mayhem

So I don't wanna be pushy and demand something I as a fan of Sims (I played 1, 2, 3 and 4 now) only wanna request something.

So while I know everyone voted for the knitting stuff and the latest is eco life but there are plenty of us simmers who like supernatural mayhem. I believe our best efforts were affording the seance stuff pack theme a close second to the decided arts n crafts. So I wanna ask that the next pack be something a bit more esoteric.

Defense of us Fantasy Simmers: A lot of people argue that Sims don't need fantasy elements because the sims is a realistic game. Well, that's a bit... Of a misnomer not even counting the unrealistic things like how fast relationships work, how fast they dress there are rather wacky unrealistic elements like for example Jungle Adventure has magic totems and skeleton servants. Also, you can adopt a ghost golden retriever in Cats and Dogs. Now everyone can like and dislike what they want but I get the sense that a lot of people seem to feel that fantasy elements like ghosts and summoning skeletons is 'wrong' and there is quite a vocal community against fantasy elements heck it was the main argument over a STUFF PACK for crying out loud. A lot of people were with the mentality of "Well if they add the seance pack to the game I have to buy it and I hate magic elements but I'm a completionist so they shouldn't add a pack I hate cuz I'll buy it but won't like it." Or "Fantasy elements just the wrong thing for The Sims we should only have purely realistic packs." It's really frustrating that everyone argued and like begged their friends to vote for anything not Seance just to make sure 'their' Sims wouldn't be 'corrupted' by fantasy elements... Now I like real stuff my first Sims 4 dlc was Get to Work of all things. But there are plenty of options for fantasy stuff and plenty of ways to make everyone happy.

Ideas that don't require new Life States: The Seance idea was a great idea and the idea to be a Grim Reaper was epic and one of the coolest ideas I ever have seen from Sims Team! But it didn't win but maybe by the grace of good fortunes for us fantasy simmers we might get a compromise and get something.

Seances, tarot cards, and grim reaper as an interactive job.

Pet Dragons like the dragon valley dlc from Sims 3.

Voidcritter tamer pack. So like a stuff pack to actually have voidcritters in game.

Whatever Sims Team might add lol

All I'm asking is there can be more opportunities for fantasy packs. There doesn't have to be just Realism Players to cater to.
Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players

Comments

• Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    the seance stuff pack theme a close second to the decided arts n crafts.

It's entirely possible that they noticed this.

• Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2020
    Never settle for less. Sims 1 dragons or bust.

But yeah, I really want occult hobbies. Hobbies in general, but especially occult hobbies. All my occults have to live exactly like normal sims because they have nothing else to do. And you think the Goth family wouldn't be using Ouija boards and the like?

Also, the seance stuff placed higher than the other Happy Haunts stuff? I'm glad, I loved it, but you have any sources I could read?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Seance and tarot cards would be best, because I can go both ways with them: In occult saves I can say they really work and in semi-realistic saves I can say my sims believe in their power, but it's not real. Same with dragons, they can be cloned dinosaurs gone weird or real dragons. The skeletons walking around in Selvadorada are much harder to explain away in semi-realistic saves.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Seance and tarot cards would be best, because I can go both ways with them: In occult saves I can say they really work and in semi-realistic saves I can say my sims believe in their power, but it's not real. Same with dragons, they can be cloned dinosaurs gone weird or real dragons. The skeletons walking around in Selvadorada are much harder to explain away in semi-realistic saves.
    Maybe rhe skeletons are animatronics, and the totem you built simply houses the remote control you put inside it?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I like fantasy and realism and I will always be Team Dragon.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Never settle for less. Sims 1 dragons or bust.

But yeah, I really want occult hobbies. Hobbies in general, but especially occult hobbies. All my occults have to live exactly like normal sims because they have nothing else to do. And you think the Goth family wouldn't be using Ouija boards and the like?

Also, the seance stuff placed higher than the other Happy Haunts stuff? I'm glad, I loved it, but you have any sources I could read?

I donno I think Grim Reaper as a job was really high but well it didn't win sadly but I'm sure plenty of us would buy a stuff pack with actual haunted objects
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I like these ideas, but I want the devs to fix our current occults first. Aliens, Ghosts, Plantsims and Mermaids are a joke, granted two of these life states you can customise and have a little bit of gameplay, while the other two are just...there I guess. Vampires have been nerfed to heck and spellcasters prefer to act like non-occult sims instead of using their magic autonomously for things such as hygiene and hunger needs. Like at least a starved vampire will go and gnaw on a sims neck when they're hungry, unlike spellcasters who'll just cook food instead of summoning it. It's so disheartening to see normal gameplay winning out over the occult/fantasy element or being nerfed to "satisfy" people who don't like the gameplay in the first place. XP
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member
    I also like a hearty blend of both fantasy and reality and don't see why they can't co-exist in game.

Seances and tarot cards are a really good suggestion; I'd personally love me some more mysticism and mayhem. I know a lot of people who aren't 'into occult at all' who still read their horoscopes and enjoy a good ghost story, it's just finding what works for the majority I guess.
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal
  • Options
    I also like a hearty blend of both fantasy and reality and don't see why they can't co-exist in game.

Seances and tarot cards are a really good suggestion; I'd personally love me some more mysticism and mayhem. I know a lot of people who aren't 'into occult at all' who still read their horoscopes and enjoy a good ghost story, it's just finding what works for the majority I guess.

A lot of folks seem to act like it can't as that ruins their perfect realism asthethic
  • Options
    JADETIGERJADETIGER Posts: 23 Member
    I like fantasy and anything that can help take me into a different world. I wouldn’t mind going medieval or any era pre-modern technology (would need to find a good alternative for the cellphone though). Having at least one world pre-modern technology could make for some very interesting gameplay and storylines.
  • Options
    SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    JADETIGER wrote: »
    I like fantasy and anything that can help take me into a different world. I wouldn’t mind going medieval or any era pre-modern technology (would need to find a good alternative for the cellphone though). Having at least one world pre-modern technology could make for some very interesting gameplay and storylines.

Yes. Yes yes. Yes yes yes, yes yes.
    banner.png
  • Options
    Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    @WolfNate very well said. I totally agree with you. I hope EA takes these into consideration and include more fantasy elements in future packs. And for those who prefer realism, there should be a possibility in the options menu to turn off any supernatural elements. It's that simple!
  • Options
    Cassieb95 wrote: »
    @WolfNate very well said. I totally agree with you. I hope EA takes these into consideration and include more fantasy elements in future packs. And for those who prefer realism, there should be a possibility in the options menu to turn off any supernatural elements. It's that simple!

Or add more packs with fantasy elements and have ability to turn it off I guess kinda defeats whole point of buying it I'm not crazy and never buy a pack for decorations if I have no intention of EVER using it's main mechanics
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2020
    I like some fantasy elements in the game mostly the kind that blends in with the realistic. All the occult's we have so far do that well I think. What I don't want to see in my game is unrealistic out of place stuff like dragons. If they were ever to add dragons in a pack I think it would probably have to be the first pack I would skip buying which would actually make me sad as I like having a full collection. :D
  • Options
    Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    Bring it on! The dragons were one of the best features about sims 3 store and possibly one of the greatest things about sims 1. I had my own ideas on how they could make a dragon/medieval game pack that gave you different elemental dragons including fire, ice, electric, dark, and nature ability to customize them as pets would be nice.

As for the happy haunts stuff they should totally make that a game pack. I’d be so excited to finally get fantasy themed jobs there literally aren’t any occult oriented jobs in the sims 4. I think they could also find a way to properly reintroduce zombies with this pack but make it so they don’t eat plants or pop up at night. Also revamping voodoo and adding seances, ghost summonings, tarot cards, are all things I’d like to see and it would be a perfect opportunity to do so considering there are lots of people who like to practice Wicca and stuff related to that. Also being an oracle or psychic medium would be nice.
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited July 2020
    I really like to think they read these posts & consider the stuff that fantasy simmers would like. It sadness me that there isn’t a lot of fantasy element in this game. I’m tired of the family play or typical basic people packs.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    Same with dragons, they can be cloned dinosaurs gone weird or real dragons.
    @Gordy wrote: »
    Maybe rhe skeletons are animatronics, and the totem you built simply houses the remote control you put inside it?

Haha, great stuff!
    But folks, the problem is...a lot of realism players don’t even have that kind of imagination.
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I'm all for any content that takes us away from dreary reality. Content like Inventing, Supernatural, and Into The Future is what has made Sims 3 one of my favorite games of all time. If I want to be a normal person, with a normal job, living a normal life, well, I don't need a video game for that. I think Vampires and Realm of Magic are a step in the direction I'm interested in. I especially liked the addition of bloodlines in RoM.

I think time travel to the past would be a great addition, because it would appeal to people who want historical content, and people who want fantastical content. Would be fun to be able to change the past and have it change the present. Kind of like ITTF, but more like BTTF.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @WolfNate A topic like this should probably be posted here: The Sims 4 Ideas Corner instead of in General Chat. You can ask a moderator to move it.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited July 2020
    @WolfNate wrote: »
    So I don't wanna be pushy and demand something I as a fan of Sims (I played 1, 2, 3 and 4 now) only wanna request something.

If realism players can be so demanding, the fantasy player should be too! So let’s gather all our powers and roar! ;)
    The Seance idea was a great idea and the idea to be a Grim Reaper was epic and one of the coolest ideas I ever have seen from Sims Team! But it didn't win but maybe by the grace of good fortunes for us fantasy simmers we might get a compromise and get something. Seances, tarot cards, and grim reaper as an interactive job.

In another thread I already mentioned that there are two kinds of winning. One is the kind of ‘winning‘ the whole community can observe from start to finish (Nifty Knitting) the other is the ‘winning’ that happens behind the scenes.

Personally I voted for Happy Haunts, but I didn’t find it realistic for any of the content to fit in a ‘mere’ stuff pack. I’m sure the devs must have thought the same after seeing how popular it was.
    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the devs themselves pushed for knitting to become the winning vote, so the game pack developers could give Happy Haunts the amount of content it deserves.

SGNinja already hinted (long ago on twitter) that a lot of the content that hasn’t been voted for as a stuff pack, eventually finds a way to get into future packs.

Not just pet dragons, but Enormous Beasts!
    @Sharonia wrote: »
    What I don't want to see in my game is unrealistic out of place stuff like dragons. If they were ever to add dragons in a pack I think it would probably have to be the first pack I would skip buying which would actually make me sad as I like having a full collection. :D

I can see the inclusion of dragons similar to Planet Sixam and Realm of Magic. They are hidden worlds, so realism players can completely avoid the Portal that leads to them and still have all the fancy BB and CAS to complete their pack collection. Any one who wants to play with a pet dragon, can travel to The Realm of Dragons, find an egg, bring it home and hatch it in their fireplace. Boom. It’s a win win. Easy Peasy.

• Options
    Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    edited July 2020
    Oh how I crave to see dragons in my game. :'(
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 I love the idea of hatching! <3 It could be like the Dragon Cave game where you don't know what dragon you will get. <3

Oh please EA give us the supernaturals we deserve!

PS: will there be a survey soon? I want to mention these things. :D
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Or add more packs with fantasy elements and have ability to turn it off I guess kinda defeats whole point of buying it I'm not crazy and never buy a pack for decorations if I have no intention of EVER using it's main mechanics

@WolfNate , I've been reading this discussion without taking sides (I love the fantasy genre in general, but for some reason I'm not very interested in fantasy in the Sims), but I would just like to explain why some of us like to have as many on/off toggles as possible in the game options.

I see the Sims more as a create-your-own-game kit than as a game. At the start I decide what my goal is, who my characters are, which world I'm playing in, which worlds I'm going to visit and which ones I'm going to ignore. And I decide on the genre. Sometimes I want to play a lighthearted rom-com, sometimes I want to play a tough survival story. That I the reason I love the Sims - the ability to design my own game.

Now, a supernatural-themed expansion pack with the ability to turn off the fantasy elements is awesome, because it means I can now create fantasy stories if I want to. This enriches my gameplay.

But a supernatural-themed expansion without the ability to turn off the fantasy elements means that from now on all my stories have to be fantasy stories. This is the opposite: this constrains my gameplay.

I think there are many other players who view The Sims this way. It's a creative hobby, and to be fully creative you need to own a wide range of materials, but you don't need to use all these materials in all of your projects. Sometimes you want to leave some of them in the box, and you should be able to.

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited July 2020
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    But a supernatural-themed expansion without the ability to turn off the fantasy elements means that from now on all my stories have to be fantasy stories. This is the opposite: this constrains my gameplay.

Except this is not the case. I have two saves going at the moment. One, which I call my Seven Stories, is about a family of spellcasters and so is very fantasy.

The other, Rags to Newcrest, is about how Newcrest develops over seven generations. Other than the occasional vampire poofing away at night (which is honestly really easy to ignore) the only reason I know supernatural elements are in the game is because I know that certain characters are from supernatural packs. I can completely ignore all supernatural elements in the game while playing this save - and I like the fantasy elements. I just have chosen to not incorporate them in this particular set of storylines. (okay, there was the time Vlad burned to death in front of the gym...)

Now, maybe if the Fantasy elements hadn't been nerfed so much, maybe they would be in the story more. Maybe the Vampires wouldn't be something I could ignore. Maybe seeing Simeon Silversweater or L Faba walking down the street would be more breaking than recognizing their characters from Realm of Magic. Maybe the writer who wrote extensively about Sixam would have actually met an Alien. But none of that happened. It's just an ordinary story of an ordinary family building Newcrest from nothing into a thriving community.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited July 2020
    I could really go for some occult/fantasy type jobs. They dont need to be full-fledged careers, but I really dont like that there really isnt anything for occult sims who dont want a normal 9-5 job. Yeah I have some occults blending into society as doctors and lawyers and fashion designers, but I dont want those to be the only options for my occult sims. The only other thing available is running a retail store to sell magic gear or plasma packs. I'd love to have a spellcaster who does psychic readings for extra dough.
    Post edited by InuMiroLover on
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    @DaWaterRat , I wasn't talking about the existing fantasy packs in the Sims 4 - I was talking about a possible future fantasy pack and, specifically, responding to the idea that buying a pack and then turning off its main feature doesn't make sense. It does make sense - players may want this feature in some of their stories, but not in all of their stories. It's like buying a spice because you enjoy the taste - that doesn't mean you have to use it in every single dish you make.
    I think that, in general, the ability to turn game features on and off is a good thing, because it allows everyone to play the game the way they want to. Players with different playing styles shouldn't see one another as rivals.
    I don't have Vampires or Realm of Magic, so I have no argument with what you described!