Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Using My Sim as Stock?

MANDEEx88MANDEEx88 Posts: 163 Member
Hi!

So this is probably a stupid question but need some clarification.

I recently started selling premade ebook covers and often have trouble finding model stock that fits what I am looking for that also isn’t already used heavily.

Is it legal for me to make my own cc and poses, use them on my sim, take screenshots and cut my sim out to paint over in photoshop for on a book cover? By the time I’m done you most likely won’t be able to tell it was a Sim but still. Need to know if this is allowed.

Thanks!

Edit: I know people charge to edit other players screenshots or sim photos so would this be similar and also allowed?

Comments

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    It you plan on using others work? it would be best to credit that user as the original creator of that work. in other cases, you might need to contact the creator to use their work before making any effort to play around with it.
  • Options
    Hoverael wrote: »
    It you plan on using others work? it would be best to credit that user as the original creator of that work. in other cases, you might need to contact the creator to use their work before making any effort to play around with it.

Thanks for responding. I would not be using anyone else’s items. Only my own.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I wouldn't think it would be legal.. Have you considered Daz that you can create sim like style graphics yourself and sell those images. There's free models and stuff or extra content you can buy
  • Options
    I wouldn't think it would be legal.. Have you considered Daz that you can create sim like style graphics yourself and sell those images. There's free models and stuff or extra content you can buy

Yes I actually just downloaded Daz 3 days ago. Already made one pose. It’s looking promising. :)
  • Options
    MANDEEx88 wrote: »

Yes I actually just downloaded Daz 3 days ago. Already made one pose. It’s looking promising. :)

I've used it a lot in the past. It's great for this kinda thing :)
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited September 2019

Daz Studio is probably the better way to go. There are tons of free and extra content available for a variety of artistic styles from Anime to Toon to hyper-photo-real. I'd look at 3DUniverse and some of their morphs for Genesis 2 and 3 to replicate a Sims look, if that's your goal. And using the renders as 2D assets is explicitly permitted in the EULA.

I've been using Daz as a hobbyist for ... gah ... over a decade, and it's what I prefer to use for still images.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Daz Studio is probably the better way to go. There are tons of free and extra content available for a variety of artistic styles from Anime to Toon to hyper-photo-real. I'd look at 3DUniverse and some of their morphs for Genesis 2 and 3 to replicate a Sims look, if that's your goal. And using the renders as 2D assets is explicitly permitted in the EULA.

I've been using Daz as a hobbyist for ... gah ... over a decade, and it's what I prefer to use for still images.

Thanks! I've pretty much made my mind up that Daz is what I will continue to work in. These are the kind of answers I was looking for. Not like the other guy. I appreciate the feedback. :smile:

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @MANDEEx88

Reading over your OP, it would basically be using the Sims in poses you created as a reference. I don't see any legal issues with that and there's nothing wrong with using references for art this way.
    Sides of this that could be problematic: using poses and Sims from other players and having the end results be obvious tracing or copies of those. Since that's not what you're planning on doing, go forth and art :D That is, if it's something that helps you.
  • Options
    @MANDEEx88

Reading over your OP, it would basically be using the Sims in poses you created as a reference. I don't see any legal issues with that and there's nothing wrong with using references for art this way.
    Sides of this that could be problematic: using poses and Sims from other players and having the end results be obvious tracing or copies of those. Since that's not what you're planning on doing, go forth and art :D That is, if it's something that helps you.

Someone who gets it! References are often used in art. I guess some people just don't get it. Thanks!
  • Options

Thanks! I've pretty much made my mind up that Daz is what I will continue to work in. These are the kind of answers I was looking for. Not like the other guy. I appreciate the feedback. :smile:

I think you'll like it. There's a bit of a learning curb but Daz is loads of fun to play around with. And i agree with the person who said to check out 3d universe too. It's a fantastic site for models and props and poses etc. Enjoy!
  • Options

I think you'll like it. There's a bit of a learning curb but Daz is loads of fun to play around with. And i agree with the person who said to check out 3d universe too. It's a fantastic site for models and props and poses etc. Enjoy!

I am already enjoying it. I was trying to make some mage poses for stills and it's certainly difficult but I did it successfully. With time and practice, I am sure I can get the hang of it. Luckily the internet is filled with tutorials especially YouTube. Thanks!
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited September 2019
    I too think DAZ Studio is a great resource for artists which is what it is intended for. Consider that it's main competitor, Poser, started out as a digital version of the wooden artist model, hence the name.

I'm no artist but was able to knock up a few images some years ago when I was curious about the technology.

Girl-Playing-the-Piano.png

PS keep an eye on the DAZ shop, most of the time the freebies on there are just addon textures for other products but every now and again a complete bundle will come up worth over $100 :)
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I too think DAZ Studio is a great resource for artists which is what it is intended for. Consider that it's main competitor, Poser, started out as a digital version of the wooden artist model, hence the name.

I'm no artist but was able to knock up a few images some years ago when I was curious about the technology.

Girl-Playing-the-Piano.png

PS keep an eye on the DAZ shop, most of the time the freebies on there are just addon textures for other products but every now and again a complete bundle will come up worth over $100 :)
    Wow that is cool. I thought this was a TS3 screenshot at first!
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Someone at EA created all the sim stuff even though you’re recombining it into a unique sim, so you could possibly have legal issues with EA itself. I’m not really sure what the law would be regarding that. Safer to go with DAZ, like it already sounds like you’re going to do anyway.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    Wow that is cool. I thought this was a TS3 screenshot at first!

I made the screenshot small to fit the forum but if you look closely the top part of her dress is a fine transparent material that covers her shoulders and arms but is not painted on. Clothes have thickness in DAZ and the models are much higher resolution which my image doesn't really do justice.