Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ROM: Magic As Skill Or Life State

Comments

• Options
    jimjam1009jimjam1009 Posts: 165 Member
    Life State
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    jimjam1009 wrote: »
    One more thing I thought about, if it’s not a life state then u can’t have cute little things like toddlers doing small accidental magic or children doing accidental magic when angry like set surrounding area on fire and stuff.

Uch I HOPE they bring that one back ........ I'd hate it if magic was, again, entirely absent from sims until they become teens. They should really, really include this, because accidental toddler magic is just cute.

In the sims 3 they could, but only very small. If a child or toddler was playing with a toy, they might accidentally make it disappear and get mad only to have it reappear above them and fall into their hands. It’s actually really cute with toddlers, but I would’ve wanted more for children. :( hopefully there will be more.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,360 Member
    Skill
    I definitely want it to be a skill, because I want some of my vampires to be able to do magic. But I want it to be a detailed complicated skill, with lots of options, maybe more like the fame system.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    Life State
    I want lifesate, but I’m not against others using some magic, like making elixirs or something.

Either way, I’ll probably be pleased since this is something I’ve wanted from the start.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    Skill
    A skill, as it'd make it easier for inter-pack compatability.
    Vampire Witches!
    Alien Warlocks!
    PlantSim Sorcerers!
    Mermaid Sorceresses!

If it's a Life State, then unless they magically (jokes) add in Hybridization with Occults to allow other life states to be Witches/Warlocks then I won't be fully satisfied.
  • Options
    AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    Life State
    A skill doesn't sound fun. Maybe a whole system like Fame perks and quirks but not a skill.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,965 Member
    edited June 2019
    Life State
    Hmm I am actually puzzled over this because part of me wants sims to inherit their parents magical state
    but also I'd like to turn sims into magic user with something because I already have so many sims I want to make magical
    and it just seems sad to throw away my long legacy for it

I'd love if we didn't always have to wait until sims are teens to do occult things too
    kid witches would be so cute :disappointed:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Life State
    I’m fine either way. I just wish... all of these occults were more fleshed out and had signs in younger life stages (like some in Sims 3: toddler doing magic with toys, vampire toddlers biting necks of teddy bears, toddlers/children having scales with mermaids, etc).

I would like it if the new magical stuff have something for younger life stages.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Skill
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Hmm I am actually puzzled over this because part of me wants sims to inherit their parents magical state
    but also I'd like to turn sims into magic user with something because I already have so many sims I want to make magical
    and it just seems sad to throw away my long legacy for it

They could always do something where magic is either a trait you earn somehow or inherit. Like a sim learns magic and any kids they have could be born with the ability to use magic without having to seek it out.
  • Options
    CelebrityWizardCelebrityWizard Posts: 132 Member
    edited June 2019
    Life State
    I want it to be a lifestate just for the sheer fact it makes it feel alot more unique and i want it to be genetic. But it's obvious there's gonna be a skill/ranking system like Vampires had for that progression.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Life State
    Magic should be a life state whether that is in the form of witches and/or fairies (hopefully both). Just like the other occults in the game I don’t believe they have specific skills mermaids don’t. Not sure about vampire but from what I have read there is no specific vampire skill it’s a life state and magic should be too.
  • Options
    jimjam1009jimjam1009 Posts: 165 Member
    Life State
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    A skill, as it'd make it easier for inter-pack compatability.
    Vampire Witches!
    Alien Warlocks!
    PlantSim Sorcerers!
    Mermaid Sorceresses!

If it's a Life State, then unless they magically (jokes) add in Hybridization with Occults to allow other life states to be Witches/Warlocks then I won't be fully satisfied.

Someone will probably make a mod for hybrids. Tbh I really have zero desire and for hybrids other than a mermaid/witch
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited July 2019
    Life State
    I want it to be a unique thing only certain life states can experience. What's special about magic if literally every Sim can do it?

Kinda defeats the purpose of adding witches.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Life State
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I want it to be a unique thing only certain life states can experience. What's special about magic if literally every Sim can do it?

Kinda defeats the purpose of adding witches.

Exactly this
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Life State
    Both. But of the two I'd prefer life-state. I like how alchemy was a skill but magic was life-state oriented (I think?) in Sims 3.
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Life State
    I'm not a massive occult fan, but I think they really should be a lifestate. A good compromise would be if there was some kind-of magic skill (alchemy could work, something magic-like), but the occult have a proper system like vampires which is more powerful. Also there should be a way to turn existing sims like mermaids have kelp, so any sim can become the new occult.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Life State
    The main problem I see with magic being a skill is that skills can't be unlearned, and since sims constantly try out new stuff on their own, everyone will be a witch before you know it. It already annoys me how many of my supposedly technophobe grandpas become hardcore gamers while I'm not looking, I don't need the same with magic. I wouldn't be opposed to different kinds of magic coming as different skills as long as they're only available to witches and lost upon turning back to regular humans.

Everyone else can get a skill similar to Vampire Lore, which teaches them all about magic, witches, and their history without enabling them to use magic themselves. I think it would be interesting if we got a new aspiration about just that - learning everything about witches, but without necessarily becoming one, unlike the aspirations from Vampires which all require you to actually be a vampire.
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Skill
    Ideally, honestly, more than one skill. Alchemy, Tranfiguration, Potions, etc. With a couple skills being standard work-your-way-up skills, and at least one working like fame with a skill tree.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2019
    Life State
    Absolutely as Life State, Magic is not a skill that a human can easily pick up.
    Unless we're talking parlor tricks. That's the only type of magic humans are capable of.

Actual Magic such as moving the heavens, elemental magic, Alchemy, Summoning, enchanting, etc are spells designed for sorcerers.
    Magic as a Skill, should be exclusive among the different types of Magic Users: Sorcerers, Prophets, Mystics, Druids, Enchanters, Summoners, Alchemists, Wizards, Witches, etc:

General Magic Skill - Light (Sun Magic not magic made from necessarily Love), Dark (Shadow/Darkness Magic not magic necessarily made from Hate), and the Elements (Fire/Lightning, Water/Ice, Wind, Earth)

Enchanting Skill - Enchantments, to make oneself stronger in battles, protection charms, Upgrading objects, and bringing inanimate objects to life (enchanting Broomsticks to fly or clean the house, enchanting a common Mirror to become a prison for a sim of choice to become the Magic Mirror)

Alchemical Skill - Potions and Elixirs, Curses and Poisons.

Summoning Skill - Conjuring spirits and daemons, objects, Sims, loved ones and enemies.

Mysticism Skill - belief is a powerful thing, and to a magic User unlocking this skill will strength their magic, radically.
    master this skill and you may even influence other magic user's powers.

Prophecy Skill - Close as one can get to omnipotence, Knowing the past, present and future, in clear detail. perhaps even too clear. this skill can be a burden, knowing all the twists and turns of life, in a single vision.

Transformation Skill - from Glamour spells, mice, fish, Insects and toads, to cats and dogs, Humans, Aliens, Vampires, Mermaids and More!

Magic should be a Biological trait built into the Sim's Genealogy, Like Vampirism, and Aliens, and Mermaids. Magic should be Genetically Dominant, so if a Human and a Sorcerer had a child they will definitely have a child with magical abilities, How ever What That child becomes is completely up to the player.
    Like My Sim mother, Julia, is going to be an Enchantress/Prophet (Her powers are Light Magic, and wind is her element) and she marries a Human and has two Children, Her eldest daughter, Desiree is a Summoner/Druid (Dark/Light Magic and Water is her element) and her son, Mason (Me) is a Sorcerer/Alchemist (Light = Darkness, Fire is his element)
    so the family magic is very diverse.

Not sure about Hybrids, because I feel like one trait has to be more dominant than the other
    either you are a vampire with magical abilities, or you are a Magic user with Vampire afflictions.
    A mermaid with magical abilities, or a Magic user with the power to Shape shift into a Mermaid.

A rare chance that child's Powers will be born dormant. Children born with magic, will appear "Human." Should the player choose they could have the child's powers awoken with Mysticism, they can... Mystics could also have the power to put a Magic Users powers dormant, making them powerless, or severe their magic users powers all together, making them Human.

I came up with this a long time ago, If a Player wanted to go about making their Human/Vampire/Mermaid or whatever, become a Magic User, they should have to go through the trouble of Hunting down a magic user.
    Two options:

1) Befriend them and Choose the friendly Option: "Ask for Magic." if the oblige they will easily "bestow" their magic into you, as a gift.

2) Should they decline, the next option is steal their physical spell book, and read "The Spell of the Written Work." Doing so will have turned your Sim into a Magic User. However, this magic isn't your own, you stole the magic from another sim. It's sort of like Identity Theft. Your newfound powers, share the same magical fingerprint as the magic user you stole from. So you can undo any curse, spell, they've cast if you wish.

However if the Original Magic user learns what you stole their power, or learns you've abused their gift, they can "Revoke" their powers from your sim if they choose.

The Spell book an object as well as part of the Magic User's Interface, they are tethered to each other. Should your magic using sim be careless about where they place their spell book in the world (book Shelf, on the table) you then run the risk of any sim out their reading your book, and acquiring your power.

or even if they steal a magic wand, they will never be able to cast the same spells at the same power level as actual magic user can. No matter what level the Human is at in comparison a Magic User will and should always appear more powerful.

I believe there should be a challenge when it comes to magic and getting what you want out of it.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    edited July 2019
    Skill
    I want both. Magic should be able to be learned by anybody--maybe just a 5-level skill (like how dancing or media production are 5 levels) and they might gain abilities like hexes, charms, or palm reading--, but then Witch (like green, cackling archetypal witch) should be a separate lifestate that maybe comes with a more in depth magic skill that goes to 15 levels (like Vampire Lore).
    Post edited by jadonbakes on
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Life State
    Here is the thing, I wouldn't want magic to be a skill like when your Sim autonoumsly tells a joke and viola they have gained a skill. Or when your Sim autonomously does a mean interaction and viola they have a skill. It has to be a life state or all Sims will again be the same.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    You forgot the third option:

DY7Q5nb.jpg
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    You forgot the third option:

DY7Q5nb.jpg

How would you go about doing both?

If everyone can do magic, what would be the point of a different life state?
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Skill
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    It needs to be a life state. Witches are THE MOST requested life state. It would be a slap in the face and a waste of Grant's time if they didn't make witches a separate life state.

It would not be as much fun to have magic be available to every sim. Period.

What makes you so sure that other people who want witches wouldn’t be fine with anybody being able to do magic as long as magic was well developed? I just don’t want random premades picking it up on their own.

And why would it be less fun? I think it’d be neat if I could do a storyline where a scientist’s alien child discovered magic, or something like that.

OMG now I really want my scientist's alien child to become a magic user!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    GosiaWKGosiaWK Posts: 56 Member
    Life State
    I would love it to be a life state that is a recieved life state like vampirism and being a mermaid, but now I see that a skill would also be cool, since they can create awesome hybrids!
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Skill
    My answer would be both... there should be a skill for you to be a better wizard/witch than the other ones...