Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it too easy to get rich in TS4?

ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
Lately I have noticed that a lot of simmers have been saying that it is currently too easy to make money, and they are finding themselves having to cheat money away in order to reacquire that "struggle" aspect of the game.

So today I bring you two questions:
First of all, do you agree or disagree that our sims are getting too rich too quickly?

Second, if you agree, then how would you tackle that issue? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Is it too easy to get rich in TS4? 256 votes

Yes
36%
SkewedReality04auroraael14knazzerSims2girl211IceyJOolonglongCamkatrhaliusbabajayneUmbralFlowerkerryemmiebethTiipiivivica86NivyxlxsrenickCinebarNinoosimLilsim1013stilljustme2ldmarko 94 votes
No
10%
brackencat31alexspoom13BoergeAarg61cchant86Bagoas77luthienrisingjaymancrazLizzychicagoScorpina2009davina1221phantasmkissBrittoneElenPinkMarkwilsonOlivesplum06ambrownBashsync2015rubyrufflescomicsforlifeTeslachick2 26 votes
Kind of.
14%
icmnfrshColorist40BreeNillaTheSpotted_CIsb917MissSassyVuloriLustianiciaBlueSeaWaveshalloweenchildSelinaKylesFrancl27MrSimmisNellionkingiDoloresGreyWaytoomanyUIDsSigzy05Callianne74Kamason14Starfree 36 votes
It isn't too easy nor too hard. The game is as difficult as you make it out to be.
39%
Akl500Pvancanuckfan86bshag4lvIcewolfLaBlue0314jeLlyBeAn1573UnDutchableSikoahGraceVibseWritin_Regmcruddsimm621MaryVannMeteoraStormStrangerthanelanorbretonMariefoxprice83JestTruJprp83Simberella777 100 votes

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2018
    It isn't too easy nor too hard. The game is as difficult as you make it out to be.
    Use the game as designed with no mods and no cheats and it's not as easy as you think especially if you have all packs. I make my sims play the game with no mods and no cheats to help them - they fail a lot especially with money as they want things they can't afford and if they are saving to add an addition to their starter house or even a computer or something it takes a lot of money for them to make to get there. I also make my sims start at actual careers - and not stay at home type of things that make making money easier.

If a sim seems to get rich to quick most of the time it is because of mods tht level them up faster or cheats that level them up and give them money and such. Make them read the books, use the skills until they get done with them - proper like. Never use motherlode or kaching - EVER. As designed the game is a challenge. But it is the way I prefer to play. It is only easy if you don't make the sims earn and learn piece by piece and never, ever cheat them any money.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Not for me, but I'm tentative to say no because I'm actually just personally terrible at, and too lazy to make money.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Yes
    It depends on what you're trying to do.

I think the standard careers pay out a fair amount of money. I also think hobbies like writing songs, playing music for tips, hacking, freelance programming, streaming, etc, all pay out a fair amount.

But when you're trying to play a painter, a gardener, a writer, a fisherman, an archaeologist, or some other sort of collector, it's hard to have those sims maintain a humble lifestyle. Part of it is that the game relies too much on using money as a reward for everything, instead of looking for other incentives.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    If a sim seems to get rich to quick most of the time it is because of mods tht level them up faster or cheats that level them up and give them money and such.
    I dont think its a fair assumption that the people who think it is too easy are using mods or cheats to get rich. Especially if they are actually using money cheats to take away money. It wouldnt make any sense.
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    I find that it is pretty easy to become rich if you climb the career chain to near the top and if you keep your children Sims in the same house as the parents but I have created a game where all my Sims aren't filthy rich. I rarely let them go to the top of careers (unless it is part of the story line going on in my head). Usually stick to the lower to mid level careers. Also usually have Sims move to their own house once they become young adults which sets them back to start with the same their parents did. I don't use any mods or cheats (I realize not all are related to money)...and I usually try to avoid things that help Sims skill up faster (for example I never let me toddlers hit level 3 on all skills just because I find it too easy if skills gain faster).

I've made it so all my Sims aren't filthy rich but I can see how it would be pretty easy for all my Sims to have tons of money. All in how you play :).
  • Options
    BelongtoLCMSBelongtoLCMS Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    Sims can get rich too quickly just doing certain hobbies. They really do not even have to be employed. Been able to do a rags to riches playthrough in only 4 in-game weeks. The only way I have found it difficult is if I do not do any of the hobbies.
  • Options
    MollyDTheSimsMollyDTheSims Posts: 21 Member
    I personally thing it's just right, you can play in different ways and the way you play can change how quickly you earn money.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    It depends on what I choose to focus on in each household. Bigger households with kids and such I find it to be more difficult to make money because I'm focusing on multiple sims at once, so instead of focusing on one sim and their career, I'm focusing on five and their careers/school. Plus with bigger households means more money to spend, on expanding my house, to furnishing rooms and whatnot, so the money I make goes away pretty quickly. And as my house gets bigger in value my bills increase. I find it's a lot easier to make money once the house I'm currently working on is complete, because I'm not spending so much anymore. But it also depends on if I even want my sims to be rich. At this point of playing the game I know what can make my sims a lot of money, so if I want a sim of mine to get rich, I'll focus on game play aspects that can help with making money fast, however if I want my sims to live a more humble life with a little bit of struggle, I avoid those methods of making money.
  • Options
    eeeyuneeeyun Posts: 45 Member
    It completely depends on what family I’m playing. More sims in a family, different careers etc. can all affect how much money I have.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yes
    Yes, especially now with the changes made to gardening. I've been testing gardening before I get Seasons to see how it works. I just finished a game last night in which an unemployed Sim had accumulated over $200K going into the third week of his game. He's not married yet.

The Sim started out unemployed with no skills, living in a tent with four other portable objects. His money was set to zero. He spent the first two days collecting whatever he could from the area around his home lot - Hallow Slough. Most of the plants in the nearby community garden were ready to harvest on the third day. He also made a quick trip to the produce stand in San Myshuno to purchase a lemon and a plantain.

It took two weeks for his first two herb plants to be ready to harvest. In the meantime, he had been selling everything that he collected (fossils, frogs, time capsules, treasure maps, etc.,) and using the money he got to craft paintings using the easels that are everywhere in Windenburg, and at the Art Center in San Myshuno. By the time the plants started blooming, his paintings were consistently excellent quality and were selling for about $200 to $300 each. He was still unemployed.

A day or two after the two herb plants bloomed, his rose, daisy, and chrysanthemum plants were ready to harvest. The apple, lemon and plantain trees took longer.

He hit the jackpot when he was able to harvest a Dragon Fruit plant and a UFO plant at the Romance Festival. He planted them as soon as he got home. They took over a week to mature but when they did - wow! Even at normal quality, they sell for quite a bit of money. He seems to be able to harvest them like every other day. He hasn't maxed the Gardening skill yet. In fact, he hasn't maxed any skill yet. And he's still unemployed.

I was going to move him to a penthouse in San Myshuno, but I lost interest in his game when he got home from a vacation to Selvadorada and his personal inventory was empty. Everything that he had collected or purchased in Selvadorada (machetes, ointments, foams, etc.,) plus insect repellant were all just gone. A lot of that stuff wasn't cheap.

Obviously, I used a cheat to reduce his funds to zero when I started his game. I also have a mod that prevents random flirting. That's it.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Yes
    Though I have noticed since Seasons that collectibles have been harder to come by, which is how most of my sims have gotten rich.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Yes
    The collections truly have gotten harder. I think my Sims could finish five aspirations before they could complete the Crystal, Fossil and Metal collections. Frogs are a bit strange now too. I haven't tried Space Prints or Microscope Prints recently.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    People do things like get sims at the top of their career as fast as possible, craft to sell or plant only the most expensive fruits to sell, and then they complain about having too much money.
    The game is not at fault, their way of playing is.

Promotions are not meant to happen every other day. Amateur painters usually paint for themselves and their friends. A small vegetable patch in the backyard is for the family's consumption.
    Slow down. Let small things be meaningful again. Enjoy the journey.

Literally none of the hobbies in TS4 require you to sell a single collectible/crafted item. You want to do that, not the game.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,436 Member
    Kind of.
    At first when you have only the default §18k and buy a starter it’s kinda difficult because I have to worry about decent furniture and being to build their skill. Once they move up the ranks of their jobs I tend to hold off on wasting but once they reach level 7+ it does get easier. Currently my sims have about §380k but to get rid of it I donate money to charities both real ones and scams(because that’s fun) and with seasons just give money away to families and sometimes to a close friend.
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    Idk, I tend to focus more on the story lines and making my sims go out and enjoy life rather than developing their skills like robots so they're never rich in my game lol
  • Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    If you focus on your reaching the peak of your career, maxing skills, and selling the products, you're sims can get rich, but that is a very money-oriented style of play. You can very easily be a poor sim with a low-income job, or a jobless sim who only makes money occasionally off of paintings you sell, etc. And go out and explore the world instead.

I think the people who complain about how much money their sims are making don't realize they can play the game a different way, but instead stick to that completionist type of mindset -which is okay to do!- if that's what you want. But I think some people start playing and say, "Oh god! I'm poor! I need all of the nicest things!" Then, they get all of the nicest things and realize there are no better things to work towards once they have everything they wanted. At that point, they either need to make a shift in focus on their game or it will start to bore them or they need to realize they were never interested in having all the nicest things from the start of their next game.

Overall, I like the rate at which sims currently accrue money. If you work at it, you can amass a fortune, but if you don't, you can still get by and not starve.

I think it's at a good spot. I certainly would not want my rich sims to be taxed heavily! because my rich sims are sims , well, wanted to be rich.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    Yes
    In my current save I place one sim in the business career and I didn't let her advance pass level 5 or 6. Her husband is a programmer. While the business sim was on maternity leave she became interested in gardening and floral arranging. Both sims quit their jobs once they had over 100k in the bank. They have three children, a pretty big house, keep the thermostat on, and haven't sold any harvestables in weeks they still have about 75k in the bank. I even got a maid just to waste some funds.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Hmm hopefully I can say this without coming across too rude. But I'm seeing responses that make assumptions of other peoples' gameplay and I dont really like that. I'm asking for your own opinions and thoughts on the subject so theres no reason to try and speak for others with claims "they only feel that way because they're playing the game too quickly." You don't know how everyone else is playing.

I feel like I play at a completely average pace but still end up with so much money. I don't think I should have to really hold back in order to not get rich, because at the end of the day that is limiting. Getting rich should only happen if Im really putting in that extra effort to make money, in my opinion.
    happyopi wrote: »
    Promotions are not meant to happen every other day.

Literally none of the hobbies in TS4 require you to sell a single collectible/crafted item. You want to do that, not the game.

The game tends your sims towards promotions even if they ignore the daily task and arent working hard. Its hard to avoid promotions apart from flat out skipping work.

Also, what do you do when you're collecting and you end up with dozens of the same ones? Keeping them in the inventory isnt an option because that lags the game, and surely you wouldnt put all of them on display...
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I almost never play a 'struggling Sims' story, but I've noticed that when I do, 20,000 simoleons goes too far in Sims 4. In previous games, building the house and furnishing it with the necessities always left my Sims short, even if I chose the cheapest items in build and buy. They'd go without wallpaper for a bit, and if something broke, they had to fix it themselves. (I always have them fix the plumbing, but not the electronics. Leave that to the professionals.)

Now, they can not only fully furnish and decorate the house, but buy a few nicer items. Probably the best non-cheat workaround would be to buy an expensive painting to use up some of those funds. Also, if you buy a bed with a low sleep rating, they'll spend so much time sleeping, they won't have time to increase their skills or do their 'homework' to get promotions :)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I've started off a bunch of my sims in a rags to riches route, so for them it did take a good long while before they became settled and comfortable. My favourite household, which I started off this way, and which i play with aging off, now have $9+ million. I don't feel right taking away their money by cheats, but now there is a way to gift simoleons, I try to spread their wealth to their friends.
  • Options
    Ona_SimmerOna_Simmer Posts: 60 Member
    It depends, if you add 8 people in your household and is able to manage all of them and give them the highest paying job than I would think it would be a breeze.
    Origin Name : Ona_Simmer

HC9IknO.png

• Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    The Sims is a game of total freedom and players are in fact kind of sort of encouraged to use cheats, because it gives that freedom to try out things at any pace you want and to build/decorate freely.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Yes
    It's not so much that it's too easy to make money. It's that there aren't enough high priced items to spend money on. The higher bills and thermostat are a step in the right direction but because in some case the increase is pretty extreme there's a chance the thermostat's impact will get nerfed.

It would be great if there were pricey cars, the ability to purchase second homes, and having to pay for private school/university. Also I'd love it if we could purchase community lots as investments to provide an ongoing income stream without having to "work" the business.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Yes
    It’s far too easy to make money, especially if you have Jungle Adventure. My sim left with 1000 simoleans and came back with 40,000 from a 3 day temple visit.
  • Options
    Lafayette_BaguetteLafayette_Baguette Posts: 2 New Member
    With no cheats, from my experience (on a PS4 mind you) its not that easy, right now my sim (literally me :V) is living in San Myshuno, and has to hack so that way she can get money, but on other save files, i can just cheat for all my simoleons, hell, i could get $999,999,999
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top