Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 My First Pet Stuff - A Stuff Pack filled with Fur

Comments

• Options
    BonnieBonnie Posts: 159 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm going to leave the whole pack thing for now because I feel I've said my piece, but I would like to address the whole no death moodlet issue that many people have explained the problems with perfectly already (i.e @Terra). I hope that the Guru's see, as this post will hopefully be a well worded argument in favour of adding "death" moodlets.

I've just finished up my diploma in supporting teaching and learning in schools (woo, go me!). As this stuff pack is mainly aimed at the younger children who play sims I hope nobody minds if I go on with myself a little bit! One of our assignments required for completion was a unit on transitions in children's lives. These included things like moving house, changing from primary school to secondary school (elementary to middle for all my American's out there), going through a divorce or family troubles, welcoming new siblings or family members and the big one: death. This entire unit focused on what kind of outcomes these transitions have on children's development particularly in terms of emotional and social development and what we as child care providers and guardians can do to help. Children and young people are bound to experience transitions in life and these experiences can have both positive and negative effects. While the outcome of transitions depend on how the experience is handled by parents and guardians, there's one thing that's completely clear. Children's development benefits from them.

Transitions give children the opportunity to explore appropriate reactions and feelings, which builds further on their emotional and social development. Obviously, nobody wants their child to go through some of the more negative transitions I've listed. However, there are many things that schools and people involved in childcare do to prepare children for transitions. A great example is moving from primary to secondary school as I've mentioned above. The school holds open days for children to get a feel of the new environment. During which they get to meet all their teachers and classmates so they have a friendly face to look for on the first day. Their old school will do as much as possible to celebrate the transition and turn it into something positive.

Personally, I think the Sim's has the perfect opportunity here to replicate that and to provide a safe and comforting environment in which to experience some of the more negative transitions in life. They already do for the most part, as shown very often in the sims with the death of a loved one, couples splitting, developing new relationships with friends and having new additions to the family! But, as care providers, this is where the line is drawn for us. We can't replicate divorce or death in the classroom for children to experience. However, the game gives them the opportunity to see and be involved in some of the possible outcomes of transition from a third person perspective. I honestly believe that it could only be beneficial to a child to see the genuine reaction of someone who's first pet has just died. I'm not suggesting they turn the sims into a life lesson for children but removing that negative buff (in my opinion and from a childcare perspective) only gives the impression that it's not appropriate to be sad when a first pet dies. I'm very aware that this is just a game and children are smart enough to see the difference, but I still believe you have the perfect opportunity to turn this into something good.
    f63c55b4ba116173bd3db5dc0bc5ae7893dcb9d0.gif
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    giveit2me wrote: »
    But that's just the thing - cost is not the main argument here. I could copy and paste what I wrote above regarding cost-performance ratio but if you didn't want to read it earlier, I assume you're not going to want to read it now.
    So fast, ok, but i did not speak about cost only, i am tired to explain myself guess this is pointless.
    I am sorry, but i do not see how cost is not main argument.
    Many customers who complain in this topic complain about other product, product what this topic about no one of those complainers have yet and they are still feel that they have the right to complain those much about something what they do not have!
    This is topic about this stuff pack, not about whole game, not about other packs.
    What complains can add more to their complains except things what they was tell many time already.
    You do not own this product, no one own this yet, how people can make so many from nothing.
    If you own other product you can complain about them, here is not place for this.
    But you still may express you feelings about not existence product what you did not buy and do not plan to.
    But are you really need say this those many time?

No one have it yet and it already how many, 50 pages?!

I'm not even sure if you read any of the comments on those 50 pages before yours, because then you'd know:

1. The price is only one issue. I don't have a problem with $10 packs, but I wouldn't buy this stuff pack if it were being sold for $1.

2. The stuff pack itself is also only one of many issues. The pet beds are only re-coloured versions of what we already have in C&D. There's only one small pet in a pack that's meant to be about 'first pets'. You don't need to buy the pack to know that, it's plainly shown/stated in the trailer.

But there are some good bits - the aquarium table, the illness, the fact there's at least one small animal, and the clothes are neat.

Regardless of that; the reason we're upset is because: This stuff should have been in Cats and Dogs EP.

Previous iterations have set a standard for pets packs which C&D fell far below, we ended up giving up much more than we got. People desperately wanted cats and dogs, and others wanted to believe it when they were told the benefits of 'concentrating on just cats & dogs would make them superior to past Pets EPs', and got the pack. But then, the furniture for C&D - which was supposedly meant to rival cats & dogs of previous iterations - was strangely lacking.

We paid the price for a full Expansion, but got a slice of what other Pets EPs offered.

Then this Stuff pack comes along asking for extra money for things that should have been in the expansion for the price we paid. There is furniture that clearly makes up half a set, the rest being in C&D. And beds that barely have new meshes, and should have been in C&D to fill the lack of stuff we actually got for the animals in their own pack. And small animals, they should have been in C&D.

It's clearly a money grabbing ploy - and yes, anyone providing a service will want to make money, but there's a difference between providing a good service and getting paid, and doing the absolute minimal, disregarding customer's satisfaction, so you can cash in your gains. It's unfair to people who paid the price of an expansion for C&D and didn't get an expansion, who are then being asked to pay more for the complete package.

And others are worried that if EA disregards its fans and customers this way, the franchise has a bleak future. We care about the Sims, and it seems like EA might be milking it for all the money its worth, till it's empty and thrown away.

Very Well put! I couldnt not agree more.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    edited March 2018
    But that's just the thing - cost is not the main argument here. I could copy and paste what I wrote above regarding cost-performance ratio but if you didn't want to read it earlier, I assume you're not going to want to read it now.
    So fast, ok, but i did not speak about cost only, i am tired to explain myself guess this is pointless.
    Many customers who complain in this topic complain about other product, product what this topic about no one of those complainers have yet and they are still feel that they have the right to complain those much about something what they do not have!
    This is topic about this stuff pack, not about whole game, not about other packs.
    What complains can add more to their complains except things what they was tell many time already.
    You do not own this product, no one own this yet, how people can make so many from nothing.
    If you own other product you can complain about them, here is not place for this.
    But you still may express you feelings about not existence product what you did not buy and do not plan to.

I'm not even sure if you read any of the comments on those 50 pages before yours, because then you'd know:

1. The price is only one issue. I don't have a problem with $10 packs, but I wouldn't buy this stuff pack if it were being sold for $1.

2. The stuff pack itself is also only one of many issues. The pet beds are only re-coloured versions of what we already have in C&D. There's only one small pet in a pack that's meant to be about 'first pets'. You don't need to buy the pack to know that, it's plainly shown/stated in the trailer.

But there are some good bits - the aquarium table, the illness, the fact there's at least one small animal, and the clothes are neat.

Regardless of that; the reason we're upset is because: This stuff should have been in Cats and Dogs EP.

Previous iterations have set a standard for pets packs which C&D fell far below, we ended up giving up much more than we got. People desperately wanted cats and dogs, and others wanted to believe it when they were told the benefits of 'concentrating on just cats & dogs would make them superior to past Pets EPs', and got the pack. But then, the furniture for C&D - which was supposedly meant to rival cats & dogs of previous iterations - was strangely lacking.

We paid the price for a full Expansion, but got a slice of what other Pets EPs offered.

Then this Stuff pack comes along asking for extra money for things that should have been in the expansion for the price we paid. There is furniture that clearly makes up half a set, the rest being in C&D. And beds that barely have new meshes, and should have been in C&D to fill the lack of stuff we actually got for the animals in their own pack. And small animals, they should have been in C&D.

It's clearly a money grabbing ploy - and yes, anyone providing a service will want to make money, but there's a difference between providing a good service and getting paid, and doing the absolute minimal, disregarding customer's satisfaction, so you can cash in your gains. It's unfair to people who paid the price of an expansion for C&D and didn't get an expansion, who are then being asked to pay more for the complete package.

And others are worried that if EA disregards its fans and customers this way, the franchise has a bleak future. We care about the Sims, and it seems like EA might be milking it for all the money its worth, till it's empty and thrown away.

Absolutely spot on, taken the words right out of my mouth. This is pretty much why I don't even agree with a theoretical small pets GP as all small pets should've been in the EP, which IMO was conveniently named "Cats and Dogs", because instantly it got them out of having to include any and without having to explain themselves. I've already come across a lot of people defending this and the lack of small pets, saying that it was "Cats and Dogs", not "Pets", so we had unreasonable expectations. Looks like EA's marketing strategy worked.
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited March 2018
    LiELF wrote: »
    Many of us who take issue with this stuff pack have now explained that we are also people who still play the game, who have bought many a stuff pack in the past, and who own Cats and Dogs. Last week we were buying Jungle Adventures and having excited discussions, but this week we speak against a specific developing decision that has left us feeling betrayed. What I don't understand is the aggression aimed at us that is coming from those who are happy to buy the pack. Nothing we push for in our appeals to the company are in any way aimed to take something away from any other player. All people are completely free to make their own choice as to whether or not they will purchase this pack, and if nothing changes, they get what they want. If the outcry succeeds in accomplishing a free patch for some of the content, they still get what they want.

This whole fight with the company is for an acknowledgement that we can all continue forward in good faith that this game will not turn into an overpriced microtransaction machine fit for a freebee mobile game. Microtransactions are for games that are free to play, not for games that are purchased up front and potentially cost hundreds of dollars. I know that the game industry has been making huge shifts in the way they operate transactions and content, but I think it's vitally important to pay attention to EA's decisions regarding the Sims franchise. We paid up front for our Sims 4 base game. We continue to pay up front for our Expansions and Game packs and Stuff packs. We deserve our money's worth. Offering us add-ons to EPs in the form of Stuff Packs would be fine if our EPs felt complete to begin with. This is essentially how the Sims 3 store worked, and even that model is debatable. So it's not that people don't want these things offered, it's that there are noticeable gaps in each EP, and to so suddenly offer to fill that gap in a separate sale, is what is causing people to feel taken advantage of. If you, as a customer do not feel this way, or just don't care, then have at it. You have the complete freedom to purchase at your heart's content. But we deserve our right to speak up.

They're boycotting the boycotters. :D

But I seriously doubt anyone minds if someone who likes the pack buys the pack. If people are saying 'Everyone, lets boycott this', it's only because they didn't step on eggshells to try and word things so nobody could misinterpret them. They're just addressing people who are unhappy with the SP.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Many of us who take issue with this stuff pack have now explained that we are also people who still play the game, who have bought many a stuff pack in the past, and who own Cats and Dogs. Last week we were buying Jungle Adventures and having excited discussions, but this week we speak against a specific developing decision that has left us feeling betrayed. What I don't understand is the aggression aimed at us that is coming from those who are happy to buy the pack. Nothing we push for in our appeals to the company are in any way aimed to take something away from any other player. All people are completely free to make their own choice as to whether or not they will purchase this pack, and if nothing changes, they get what they want. If the outcry succeeds in accomplishing a free patch for some of the content, they still get what they want.

This whole fight with the company is for an acknowledgement that we can all continue forward in good faith that this game will not turn into an overpriced microtransaction machine fit for a freebee mobile game. Microtransactions are for games that are free to play, not for games that are purchased up front and potentially cost hundreds of dollars. I know that the game industry has been making huge shifts in the way they operate transactions and content, but I think it's vitally important to pay attention to EA's decisions regarding the Sims franchise. We paid up front for our Sims 4 base game. We continue to pay up front for our Expansions and Game packs and Stuff packs. We deserve our money's worth. Offering us add-ons to EPs in the form of Stuff Packs would be fine if our EPs felt complete to begin with. This is essentially how the Sims 3 store worked, and even that model is debatable. So it's not that people don't want these things offered, it's that there are noticeable gaps in each EP, and to so suddenly offer to fill that gap in a separate sale, is what is causing people to feel taken advantage of. If you, as a customer do not feel this way, or just don't care, then have at it. You have the complete freedom to purchase at your heart's content. But we deserve our right to speak up.

But I seriously doubt anyone minds if someone who likes the pack buys the pack. If people are saying 'Everyone, lets boycott this', it's only because they didn't step on eggshells to try and word things exactly so. They're just addressing people who are unhappy with the SP.

Good point. If people are happy and see no issue with any of it, they should definitely buy the pack. But the people that do take issue with it, the ones that do understand what makes simmers so disappointed about this release, the ones that do expect a sad moodlet when their pet dies or content they can use 100% of, or objects that don't look like they were cut out of a C&D set, should not. And those are the only ones the "boycott calls" are really aimed at anyway.
  • Options
    pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    Bonnie wrote: »
    I would like to address the whole no death moodlet issue that many people have explained the problems with perfectly already (i.e @Terra). I hope that the Guru's see, as this post will hopefully be a well worded argument in favour of adding "death" moodlets.

The pets in cages only live a few days, people are always going to be having death moodelets. Not a good thing.

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2018
    Many of us who take issue with this stuff pack have now explained that we are also people who still play the game, who have bought many a stuff pack in the past, and who own Cats and Dogs. Last week we were buying Jungle Adventures and having excited discussions, but this week we speak against a specific developing decision that has left us feeling betrayed.

Yes, exactly! I actually love this game nowadays, I play it a lot, and for over a year, I've been very excited for all of it. But this whole ordeal takes a lot of that magic away, and makes me worry for the future...if this pack works out just dandy for EA with many, many people buying the SP (and consequently, even more people caving to buy the EP that goes with it ..), we can only expect to see more of these EP-SPs in the future (and why not a few years further down the line, EP-GP-SPs, or SP-SPs? .. yes, this thing makes me hyperbolic). It's just that neither me nor my wallet are willing to travel down that path, so if people keep accepting their content being cut up into more & more packs, I guess me and the series will just have to go mostly separate ways. And I'm not hoping for or looking forward to that, so me paying for this pack ... it just can't happen, because in this story, my money's the only bit of voice I have :)

• Options
    edited March 2018
    pinkish wrote: »
    I would like to address the whole no death moodlet issue that many people have explained the problems with perfectly already (i.e @Terra). I hope that the Guru's see, as this post will hopefully be a well worded argument in favour of adding "death" moodlets.

The pets in cages only live a few days, people are always going to be having death moodelets. Not a good thing.

Perhaps they can find a way around it that makes everyone happy. Death moodlets for the first "first pet" you ever buy then none after that? There's plenty of compromises that would still be in line with everything I've said :smile:
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Just throw the whole pack away
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Hrm.. if only we had memories.
  • Options
    MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member

Perhaps they can find a way around it that makes everyone happy. Death moodlets for the first "first pet" you ever buy then none after that? There's plenty of compromises that would still be in line with everything I've said :smile:

The moodlet could be a lot weaker than after Sim's death, and of course lasts shorter because of that. Then it could appear after every rodent's death, but it'd be easier to deal with.
    Also, I'm pretty sure they said that a well-treated rodent lives to 3 weeks.
  • Options

The moodlet could be a lot weaker than after Sim's death, and of course lasts shorter because of that. Then it could appear after every rodent's death, but it'd be easier to deal with.

Another really good way to include it!
  • Options
    PrincessSimcessPrincessSimcess Posts: 917 Member

Yes! A small sad emotion that gives 2+ sad for 12 hours. Or even have a tiny little tombstone that can be mourned over. Have sims walk to the empty cage and sigh a bit cause they're sad. Let them reminisce over postcards the hamster brought them.
    So many ways to do it.
    Lift up your head, princess. If not, the crown falls.
    35532344976_d8721ca725_z_d.jpg

• Options
    SkyzzahSkyzzah Posts: 131 Member
    Guys the trailer is here already and I am sad that they only have one new pet and it's a hamster

there are more pets than just a hamster coming
    41741928340_6225bb36b5_c.jpg
    ✨ Click on the picture above to check out my channel for CAS videos! ✨
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    RnM92 wrote: »

Absolutely spot on, taken the words right out of my mouth. This is pretty much why I don't even agree with a theoretical small pets GP as all small pets should've been in the EP, which IMO was conveniently named "Cats and Dogs", because instantly it got them out of having to include any and without having to explain themselves. I've already come across a lot of people defending this and the lack of small pets, saying that it was "Cats and Dogs", not "Pets", so we had unreasonable expectations. Looks like EA's marketing strategy worked.

I agree. I don't like the idea of a Horses Pack or a Small pets pack. The content should have been in the EP, and even if its promised to give us 'better small pets, better horses', that's not an excuse (especially after C&D).

I wouldn't mind if they gave us a handful of small animals in C&D, and then the small pets pack expanded on that and added more exotic small animals, and I'm hoping they make a Farming GP with horses (because that would be a fitting place for them), otherwise I wouldn't be too happy.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Hrm.. if only we had memories.

Wasn't there an odd memory system when the game first came out? I believe they took it out after simmers were distraught with the way it worked. Personally, to me, that system wasn't as effective as the memories in 2 and It really seemed useless. Now if they can bring back the memory system we had in 2 that would be a game changer, but I highly doubt that's possible this late in the game
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    1ovemysims1ovemysims Posts: 57 Member
    Far as I can see this one is for the children that play, matching pajamas for the kids with the pet, lovely furniture for a child's room. the children will love the fish tank. and a small none dangerous new small pet. All would be of interest to a child that plays the Sims 4 as it would be for the children inside the game. I am truly looking forward to a new stuff pack that I would like to buy as an adult. Then did state this was the first one for Pets so yea we will be getting another one. But yea the children did need their turn for a pack for them as they play the game same as adults.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    *idly wonders where the outrage was everytime a pack since GT gave a new club activity and every new pack since basegame gave more 'recolors' for furniture, and several packs like CL that added new active careers since GTW...*
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    *idly wonders where the outrage was everytime a pack since GT gave a new club activity and every new pack since basegame gave more 'recolors' for furniture, and several packs like CL that added new active careers since GTW...*

Club activities can't really be compared to this because the animations/objects were already being developed for the packs, and they just had to be made compatible with the system. Plus, they don't depend on each other.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Simanite wrote: »

Club activities can't really be compared to this because the animations/objects were already being developed for the packs, and they just had to be made compatible with the system. Plus, they don't depend on each other.

Club activities do depend on GT. Bowling, for example. You get the ability to make bowling clubs when you get the bowling pack. But if you don't have GT? No clubs for you! It's a feature in the pack you never see without GT, same as the few outfits for dogs and cats you never see if you don't have the EP, lol.

People are just really selective about their rage, I guess. This isn't exactly the first pack to have bonus stuff in it. And back when the first pack after GT did include club activities? Guess what? Everyone praised it for expanding their gameplay! :p

I've even seen people here say if they would've literally just waited a few more months to put out this pack (and changed nothing in it, just simply waited), they would've been fine with it, falling under the illusion I guess that the supposed conspiracy wouldn't last that long or something. I dunno, I see it as kinda shakey at best. But that's imo.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    SimTrippy wrote: »

But I seriously doubt anyone minds if someone who likes the pack buys the pack. If people are saying 'Everyone, lets boycott this', it's only because they didn't step on eggshells to try and word things exactly so. They're just addressing people who are unhappy with the SP.

Good point. If people are happy and see no issue with any of it, they should definitely buy the pack. But the people that do take issue with it, the ones that do understand what makes simmers so disappointed about this release, the ones that do expect a sad moodlet when their pet dies or content they can use 100% of, or objects that don't look like they were cut out of a C&D set, should not. And those are the only ones the "boycott calls" are really aimed at anyway.

You guys are aware that even talking of boycotts on this forum breaks the forum rules - right?

Many of us learned that at the beginning of Sims 4 over the toddlers. I simply gave a link to an off forum place where 25,000 people had signed a petition and got a 3 day warning/ ban for it. Keep that in mind as the freedom of speech is not a freedom on this forum anyway, nor giving a link to said places.

And that is all I have to say about that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    It's also annoying that they keep saying that the pack comes with four rodents. Like, no, it comes with one that has four different meshes. It's like saying the fox or raccoon are other animals when they're really not. They all play the same way. It's no different for this hamster. There's also no variety within the species. You can't change the colour of your hamster, even though in real life they come in all different designs.

Different pets would be hamsters (with or without the different meshes), birds, and reptiles, all with different interactions and habitats.

Plus, sims interact with the habitats the way they interact with babies. Pick up for a second, put them down. Pet, put away. It's boring. At least in TS3 there were hamster balls and other cute little things.

Such a ripoff.

The caged animals were always that. At least this one they have more humane cages. At most you have to agree - the pack is in the eye of the beholder. People wanted little caged creatures and more gear - the pack delivers that. It is not a rip off as you don't have to buy it, but you also cannot go around and say they never delivered things some claimed were missing.

I do think it's a ripoff for those who bought C&D. I never said they didn't deliver what wasn't promised. All I'm saying is that hamsters (and plenty of other small animals) were included with TS3 Pets, all in one pack. What's more, they were fairly interactive. This is a Stuff pack that has one animal that is basically decoration.

I agree with the more humane cage part, but the fact that only one cage is offered is bothersome as well. Why is there no variety save for a colour swatch or two? If it's a pack about hamsters, they should have at least given two habitats.

Hamster stuff pack coming In the summer.

Dress your hamster in cute outfits! They can match your sims/cats and dogs.

Another one habitat that is....

Drumroll.....

A different colour!!!

Only ten dollars!

And don't forget, another missing piece from the C&D bedroom set! Want the missing rug? BUY HAMSTER STUFF NOW!!!
    (Requires My First Stuff, Cats and Dogs, Base Game, all sold separately.)

And...

Later this fall, Aspirations Game Pack...

Expect aspirations for retail, baking and photography!!

***Get to Work and Base Game required.

It will get so complicated that you'll just HAVE to buy ALL the packs or your game simply will not run.