Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Pets: Playable or Non-Playable

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    team npc here too
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SimmeringBreeSimmeringBree Posts: 266 Member
    I would rather have controls over the pets, since I want my first sim to work as a dog breeder.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Team nonplayable here. I don't play Sims to be a puppy; it was a serious downside of Sims 3 Pets for me. I want my Sims to get the unpredictability of puppy behaviour.

EDITED TO ADD BECAUSE IMPORTANT: I would, however, like puppy and kitty costumes for toddlers.

I downloaded some animal onesie costumes cc for my toddlers and the outfits are SO. CUTE! I got a dog, cat, bear, and, I think, a bunny. I'd love to see official Maxis content of these. <3

For pets, I would like to see something similar to Sims 2 style. I really don't want to have to control the animals, because if we end up getting farms and zoos it will get a little too high maintenance and I think that could end up becoming more of a hassle and less fun.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited June 2017
    Team nonplayable here. I don't play Sims to be a puppy; it was a serious downside of Sims 3 Pets for me. I want my Sims to get the unpredictability of puppy behaviour.

EDITED TO ADD BECAUSE IMPORTANT: I would, however, like puppy and kitty costumes for toddlers.

That would be so adorable!! :heart: I'd love to take my little kitty or doggy toddler out trick-or-treating when we get seasons!!

Oh my gosh. Animal footie pajamas. Excuse my while I cry at the cuteness of it all.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't wanna play as the pet :x
    I just want it to be there and do cute stuff / have cute interactions
    make a mess on occasion if untrained, and fill its need via control by the owner
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    Just imagine that you can only control one Sim and the rest of the family will be handle by the superior AI of the Sim 4.

Without the ability to regulary correct the many wrongs getting your pet inside the house could prove an impossible task and stuff like this.
    Of course it will never happen because someone with its wooden PC cant handle it, but why not wish for controllable Pets that don't take Family slots. Mods can increase the amount of family slots just fine.
  • Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    > @Nelus said:
    > Just imagine that you can only control one Sim and the rest of the family will be handle by the superior AI of the Sim 4.
    >
    > Without the ability to regulary correct the many wrongs getting your pet inside the house could prove an impossible task and stuff like this.
    > Of course it will never happen because someone with its wooden PC cant handle it, but why not wish for controllable Pets that don't take Family slots. Mods can increase the amount of family slots just fine.

yeah... but it's not exactly fair to discard a particular opinion based on imaginary problems that you don't even know exist yet.
    they could easily have a way for the sim to call the pet to them.
  • Options
    NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    edited June 2017
    Falynios wrote: »
    > @Nelus said:
    > Just imagine that you can only control one Sim and the rest of the family will be handle by the superior AI of the Sim 4.
    >
    > Without the ability to regulary correct the many wrongs getting your pet inside the house could prove an impossible task and stuff like this.
    > Of course it will never happen because someone with its wooden PC cant handle it, but why not wish for controllable Pets that don't take Family slots. Mods can increase the amount of family slots just fine.

yeah... but it's not exactly fair to discard a particular opinion based on imaginary problems that you don't even know exist yet.
    they could easily have a way for the sim to call the pet to them.

Thats not my point, just an sarcastic example. Its hard to get Sims to behave the way you want, they usually act dumb and always react the same way. Sure we can dream for them to fix the AI of Sims and Pets alike but i guess that would be imaginary.

Also still i dont see anyone wanting that there is no optional possiblity to control pets, its seams to come down to the point that it is feared that the family slots get occupied by them. Mods handle this already and we still can wish for both in vanilla as well.
  • Options
    HaimonaHaimona Posts: 136 Member
    I don't want to play the animals. I have enough to do chasing after the humans ;)
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    @Nelus Nobody should have to use mods in order to enjoy playing the game. If people want to play as pets they should play Sims 3 lmao
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    HelenaWiktoriaHelenaWiktoria Posts: 148 Member
    > @samemie said:
    > I'd rather they were playable so you have the option, but also intelligent enough so that they don't HAVE to be controlled so if you don't want to you don't have to. Interesting the arguments about how training them woukd be pointless if they were controllable - aren't the new character values in Parenthood just effectively 'training' for young sims?

Thank you! My thoughts exactly. I really, really hope we will be able to control our pets. I don't know, I just like this idea. They had some interesting inteactions on their own in TS3. I like to pay attention to them when my Sims are busy with something else. When I had only TS2, I was so exited when I heard you can control pets in TS3. I don't control them all the time in TS3, but I like to check their needs and maybe give them some direction. I also like that you can decide how the relationships between different pets will look like. I'd be pretty disappoint if they are unplayable, they woud be less interesting for me, I guess.

It may be connected with the fact that I loved to play dogs as a kid (you know, just like you play house or school)...
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The problem for me is that when pets became controllable sims, they lost that "pet" feel. That certain something that made pets pets. They no longer did things on their own like real pets, but seemed to wait for us to control them. Sure, there were a few actions pets did, but they lost that wild side where they were unpredictable like real pets. I roamed the world as a stray in S3 and it got boring really fast. Let pets be pets, not four legged sims.
  • Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    > @Nelus said:
    > Falynios wrote: »
    >
    > > @Nelus said:
    > > Just imagine that you can only control one Sim and the rest of the family will be handle by the superior AI of the Sim 4.
    > >
    > > Without the ability to regulary correct the many wrongs getting your pet inside the house could prove an impossible task and stuff like this.
    > > Of course it will never happen because someone with its wooden PC cant handle it, but why not wish for controllable Pets that don't take Family slots. Mods can increase the amount of family slots just fine.
    >
    > yeah... but it's not exactly fair to discard a particular opinion based on imaginary problems that you don't even know exist yet.
    > they could easily have a way for the sim to call the pet to them.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thats not my point, just an sarcastic example. Its hard to get Sims to behave the way you want, they usually act dumb and always react the same way. Sure we can dream for them to fix the AI of Sims and Pets alike but i guess that would be imaginary.
    >
    > Also still i dont see anyone wanting that there is no optional possiblity to control pets, its seams to come down to the point that it is feared that the family slots get occupied by them. Mods handle this already and we still can wish for both in vanilla as well.

I don't give two bananas about household space. I don't want to have to control the pet. It wouldn't feel much like a pet if I have to select it and pee on the rug myself.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    Unplayable, Pets lost the fun and unpredictability when controlled in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    KlumsyKateKlumsyKate Posts: 451 Member
    non-playable, npc pets only
  • Options
    TMcAuley91TMcAuley91 Posts: 13 New Member
    I would like to be able to control them (team playable for the win), those who don't want to don't have to just leave them on free will,
    However because there is some valid reasons for wanting NPC pets, I would like pets to be a separate count (i.e. 8 playable sims and 8 playable pets per household)
    If they could do this everyone should be happy as No sacrifice of human Sim numbers for team npc (it's the main argument against playable I've seen) and no need to actually play them (leave on high free will)
    But team playable still can have what they want (& benefit by having extra space for pets for those that want to breed them etc)
    For this to work pet autonomy would need to be separate control for sim and have a tick box or autonomy setting that says unplayable, this would (in my mind) stop you being able to select the pet while the option/setting was on allowing for the npc feel without it being forced.

Very much a play your way option but I think it means we all get everything
  • Options
    HelenaWiktoriaHelenaWiktoria Posts: 148 Member
    I remember I used some cheat to make TS2 pets controllable, however, it was pretty annoying since you had to enter a cheat code every time. The option for pets control built in the game by developers, as you said @TMcAuley91, would be perfect in my opinion.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    @Nelus Nobody should have to use mods in order to enjoy playing the game. If people want to play as pets they should play Sims 3 lmao

That's like me saying if you don't want to control pets, you should play TS1.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    TMcAuley91 wrote: »
    I would like to be able to control them (team playable for the win), those who don't want to don't have to just leave them on free will,
    However because there is some valid reasons for wanting NPC pets, I would like pets to be a separate count (i.e. 8 playable sims and 8 playable pets per household)
    If they could do this everyone should be happy

No, thanks. There is a reason People have been asking for a true roommate function in TS4 for over 2 1/2 years now--> NPC sims/pets behave differently compared to those left on "free will on".
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    SimlysabinaSimlysabina Posts: 20 Member
    I don't know, I always had my pets on 'free will' in TS3, so I think if they incorporate that in TS4 (where Sims and pets have it separate) it could work fine. That way each player gets to kind of choose the way the want to play them.
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    non-playable for me. I feel like far fewer of my sims would own pets if they worked like normal sims. I usually keep my households at 1-2 sims, since find it hard to keep track of bigger families. Some consist of 4 sims, but I would never add a pet if I also had to control it on top of those. Playable pets are not a deal breaker, but I would far prefer if they were more autonomous and just changed behavior accordingly to environment/training etc
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Nonplayable for sure. I can appreciate where they were going with them in Sims 3, but I was never a fan of that aspect. I should have no more control over my dog/cat in a Sims game than I do in real life. When you can direct them to do, or not do, certain interactions it takes away the appeal of training them.

• Options
    TsukihasbeenhereTsukihasbeenhere Posts: 46 Member
    Much rather they'd be playable but still have autonomy, enough to care for themselves without me checking on them like normal Sims (Excluding feeding). An NPC pet seems like a waste of money to me, I don't think I'd ever pay for something I can't play.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I want them to go in the direction that they've been going with toddlers and parenthood. If they continue on that path, I will probably be game. I'd like interaction between the sims and the pet with those interactions evolving according to training and choices. A pet could be playable like a toddler is, increasing in autonomy with training and learning of skills.

I don't find toddlers to be more interesting as a gaming concept than pets. (I like the toddlers in my game but they are not theoretically more important than a pet would be). I never had a problem with the playability of pets in TS3. I don't really remember the cats and dogs that well because I vividly remember running a horse farm at one point in Appaloosa Plains. That was great. I know I played cats and dogs; I just don't particularly remember the households. I do remember always loving the Pets EP in every version of the game and it being a key aspect of each version for me. Most of my sim households had a dog or cat or more.

I'm pretty much on Team Playable but again, if they approach it like they've been approaching recent releases this year, they will do a good job. I'd rather have a pet act like a toddler than as a sim baby. It doesn't have to be as complicated as an adult sim and it could spawn random behaviors that need correcting like the pet equivalent of spilling paint all over the floor. I'm happy to manage the pet so that I determine if he or she is napping in a chair or a dog/cat bed or out on the porch, for example.

Most of my houses are going to have one or two pets unless they get into breeding. A breeder will probably live in a small household but it would be great if there were a separate count for pets from sims, not that it will be a big deal in my game. Having about 6 sims in a household feels crowded for me these days and I only have a few houses like that.

Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Personally, nonplayable so that I can get as many as I want with a few options like giving a treat, show love, take to vet, ect. I also hope for a VET and PET store. I would also like to be able to breed them and sell them just like in real life. People have made money on animals for years and ourdoor animals have feelings just like housepets. Making a profit off animals has always been a reality all through time. People play different and no one has to sell if they don't want to, but it would be nice to have that option if you do want to breed/sell them. If the Sims 4 aims at being a game where you can play with life, then we should get options to do that. So far, my sim can't even go next door without a loading screen.

Pets in S3 was fun, but got boring after telling them where to pee ect. I didn't mess with the horse stuff and I didn't have the dog go look for things. Personally, I'm hoping that they are nonplayable and that if we can get a FARM EP that they will be nonplayable too.

I don't need to micro manage pets; I just need to collect them, have the largest lot added to the game, and be able to decide what I want to do with them. :)