Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 will continue into 2018!

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited April 2017
    @Erpe wrote: »
    There is a reason why EA calls such projects Olympus, Ikarus or whatever instead of calling them the Sims 4 project or whatever game they were meant for - and it obviously is that EA doesn't want ordinary developers to know which game they are working on because if they did then the information could be leaked to the public. So most likely only a couple of the top producers (who had to know such that they could discuss things with EA) knew that. But all the other developers of course had their suspicions, guesses and believes. Patrick Kelly thought that it most likely was TS4. But my guess is that he was wrong because Olympus was too different from TS4 and I also remember to have seen some pictures in 2D which Patrick Kelly had leaked. Those pictures didn't look like something which had anything to do with the much more advanced graphics in TS4. So this graphics must have been developed for something else. We will just never know because Olympus was later dropped by EA.

Olympus was dropped in 2012. We also had confirmation that The Sims 4 also started in 2010, and was called The Sims 4 by devs. Yet Patrick Kelly was a dev in 2012 and called it Olympus.

• Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    I don't think or at least I hope that the people who develope this game are not stupid enough to end it until we have all the expansions. That would be a death nell for sims. The reason I think this is because sims 4 was ridiculously over priced to begin with and EA soon learnt that lesson dropping it at times to around £18. I hated sims 4 when I did finally break down and buy it and the reason was the toddlers. Yes, I know some of you hate them and boo hoo, use condoms or stop trying for babies. I love toddlers and it was a deal breaker for me. Not only did I not want to play 4 very often but I pretty much stopped altogether and just watched the likes of yammyxox, simsugar, urbansim, koffee and miramouse. Whilst I enjoyed their LP's it did not make me want to play this game. Then I came onto the forum on THE DAY they released toddlers and that changed a lot for me. I am in love with these pint sized terrors and can't wait to get a good enough relationship with the caged infant to play with them. My only gripe is all the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 boys! Don't get me wrong, as a gay guy I like boys but my children? I would like a mix please. LOL! If I don't get a little girl the first five or six times I cheat for one now. Those CC outfits are so darn cute! Now back to it. I am quite content with sims 4 and as long as they don't mess with my CC we get along just fine. I would like another blank neighbourhood to do myself but time will tell. EA needs to do one thing and that is all, stop being grubby about money and think about the people playing and what they can and cannot afford. Not all of us can fork out the dosh for everything and it is not fair to those little girls playing to have to beg mummy and daddy for £30 for an expansion that is really only worth around fifteen quid. so sims5? who cares, try making this the best game ever and you will ALWAYS have people buying and playing, screw us over again and we might all say f... it and leave. have a rainbow day!
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @aws200 wrote: »
    So at least another 5-8 stuff packs, 2-4 game packs, and 1 expansion pack before end of 2018. Alright doesn't matter when it ends though. As long as they take their time with the next game and not rush it or attempt to make another Sims Online then realize people don't want always online DRM via Sim City 2013 therefore scrap the original product (Olympus) and make a new game in under a year with excuses as to why its not good as the past base games. Just take the time to make something good, a true sequel. As for Sims 4....eh its not going places after all these years so another year or two of content won't make a difference. Still lack so much base game features/content from past games after about three years. To which I doubt we will ever see in Sims 4 since there's so many issues and limitations as even the developers have admitted to. Such as beards and lounge chairs are harder to make than in the past.
    2yzdF15.png
    This is actually upsetting. If a sequel is more limiting then how can it be more fun than the last game?

You obviously didn't understand the context of her tweet, lmao.
    The Sims 3 wasn't limited because they used The Sims 2 engine.
    The Sims 4 has started from Scratch.

They added beards in Get Together.

*Olympus

Nope.

The person who confirmed Olympus (Patrick Kelly) literally said that Olympus was a 2D game separate from The Sims 4, and was scrapped early on. The Sims 4 was a seperate game. But shared the same "look" which is why people assumed The Sims 4 was Olympus.

Patrick Kelly confirmed The Sims 4 started from a whole new engine :)

It's just a misconception amongst Simmers who have heard about it through chinese whispers.

Ahem-
    This is by far one of the most exaggerated, and untrue posts I have ever seen from you dude. First of all, PK never said Olympus was 2D and he never, ever, ever said that Olympus was a completely different game than The Sims 4. He actually said quite the opposite, and the visual mock ups we have show what, a 3D game??

Sims 4 as an online game failed during development, so they changed course and made it into an offline game with the scraps of what they had. Seriously, that is what Patrick Kelly shared, nothing more. If you have some sort of legitimate source please share, but your anonymous forum post from another website is not legit. Your theory is not legit, because it does not work with the realities of game development.

The only one assuming anything here is you, and you are assuming that people will buy your fabricated, nonsensical, totally unbelievable conspiracy theory. The Sims 4 started out as an online game, there is code remaining from the online game in the offline game we have today. Enough is enough, instead of using your energy creating stories to deny that fact, how about you suck it up and get over it? Trying to make people think it never happened doesn't make Sims 4 a better game.

Also, it's interesting how you've said all this, tell ME to fact check, and then most of this turned out to be wrong :joy:

You obviously thought I had made this up or something, and that you were confident that what has been said on here about Olympus was true.
    So again, I'll ask you to stop quoting me, accusing me of fabricating information, and then talk to me with unsourced information, that is easily proven wrong from the source itself.

Kind Regards.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I think there is a lot of time left for Sims4.

We haven't had the top cash cows yet ... pets/seasons. So I think Sims4 will be pushed into 2021.
  • Options
    GlacierGlacier Posts: 193 Member
    @drake_mccarty @Ciarassims;

Q: So up until last year the game was multiplayer online? Is it even possible to change the mechanics of the game without breaking it?
    A: From what I read in the announcement, they decided to go with a new game engine for the offline version.

Olympus wasn't 2D as such, but Patrick Kelly said it wasn't a 3D rendered engine.

It's all in this page:
    goo.gl/yPwT4H

Patrick Kelly literally states The Sims 4 has a new game engine, not Olympus' engine.

So please Drake, if we can stop with all the dramatics every time you question my posts, only for me to bring the sources through, that would be lovely.

Maybe we interpret the provided link differently. According to my understanding, the link is actually quite consistent throughout that Sims 4 is based on Olympus with the online part stripped away. According to the context, the engine that the link talks about should be referring to the graphics engine. That is, how the game is played looks like Olympus minus the online part, but how the game looks is based on a new 3D graphics engine.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    I think there is a lot of time left for Sims4.

We haven't had the top cash cows yet ... pets/seasons. So I think Sims4 will be pushed into 2021.
    I am not sure that Pets and Seasons were more cash cows than other EPs. It doesn't seem to have been the case (even if you liked them mostly) because if they were then I don't believe at all that EA would have postponed them that long or until more simmers had lost interest in the game. They would much more likely have been the very first EPs to be released. So when this didn't happen then I am actually not sure if they will be released for TS4 at all.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    So at least another 5-8 stuff packs, 2-4 game packs, and 1 expansion pack before end of 2018. Alright doesn't matter when it ends though. As long as they take their time with the next game and not rush it or attempt to make another Sims Online then realize people don't want always online DRM via Sim City 2013 therefore scrap the original product (Olympus) and make a new game in under a year with excuses as to why its not good as the past base games. Just take the time to make something good, a true sequel. As for Sims 4....eh its not going places after all these years so another year or two of content won't make a difference. Still lack so much base game features/content from past games after about three years. To which I doubt we will ever see in Sims 4 since there's so many issues and limitations as even the developers have admitted to. Such as beards and lounge chairs are harder to make than in the past.
    2yzdF15.png
    This is actually upsetting. If a sequel is more limiting then how can it be more fun than the last game?

*Olympus

Nope.

The person who confirmed Olympus (Patrick Kelly) literally said that Olympus was a 2D game separate from The Sims 4, and was scrapped early on. The Sims 4 was a seperate game. But shared the same "look" which is why people assumed The Sims 4 was Olympus.

It's just a misconception amongst Simmers who have heard about it through chinese whispers.

Ahem-
    This is by far one of the most exaggerated, and untrue posts I have ever seen from you dude. First of all, PK never said Olympus was 2D and he never, ever, ever said that Olympus was a completely different game than The Sims 4. He actually said quite the opposite, and the visual mock ups we have show what, a 3D game??

Sims 4 as an online game failed during development, so they changed course and made it into an offline game with the scraps of what they had. Seriously, that is what Patrick Kelly shared, nothing more. If you have some sort of legitimate source please share, but your anonymous forum post from another website is not legit. Your theory is not legit, because it does not work with the realities of game development.

The only one assuming anything here is you, and you are assuming that people will buy your fabricated, nonsensical, totally unbelievable conspiracy theory. The Sims 4 started out as an online game, there is code remaining from the online game in the offline game we have today. Enough is enough, instead of using your energy creating stories to deny that fact, how about you suck it up and get over it? Trying to make people think it never happened doesn't make Sims 4 a better game.

Also, it's interesting how you've said all this, tell ME to fact check, and then most of this turned out to be wrong :joy:

You obviously thought I had made this up or something, and that you were confident that what has been said on here about Olympus was true.
    So again, I'll ask you to stop quoting me, accusing me of fabricating information, and then talk to me with unsourced information, that is easily proven wrong from the source itself.

Kind Regards.

Don't see how anything I said is wrong. You were the source of the misinformation that I corrected, and then you provided a link to your information that yielded nothing actually backing up anything you claimed, but threw credibility behind my post.

If you consider proving yourself wrong as proving me wrong then I'm glad you found some closure. It must have been eating you up with how snarky your post comes across.

So in short: Sims 4 began development as an online game, somewhere between 2012/2013 EA made the call to trash the online game and redevelop it as an offline game using the scraps of the online game(cost savings), in 2013 this information was leaked onto the internet where it was pretty heavily scrutinized, and ultimately became more legitimate than not. In 2014 The Sims 4 released, and since then remnants of Olympus has been discovered in the offline game. Some modder even got The Sims 4 working as a multiplayer game (not necessarily a fully functional one), something that would not be possible in a game designed solely for offline single player use.

Take it or leave it, it's really not my concern if someone doesn't want to believe the information that's readily available and has been widely discussed for nearly 4 years already.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Nomiko13 wrote: »
    I actually had a feeling the game would last much longer because I'd throw a fit if it ended on only having 3 EPs and I wouldn't be able to defend the game anymore. I think many of us would be furious, who invested in it.

With the rate they are at with releasing EPs, my guess is we won't get much EPs since GPs fill in spaces. I'd say we get around 7-8 EPs if not less, but 3 EPs is just too little.

And as others speculated, I'd say the game will last much longer than 3-4 years.

Well, next Sept. is four years. And with only one EP a year, do you really believe in your heart of hearts it can go five-seven years as many problems as it has without five/eleven EPs? I don't think it can survive that much.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    I am not sure that Pets and Seasons were more cash cows than other EPs. It doesn't seem to have been the case (even if you liked them mostly) because if they were then I don't believe at all that EA would have postponed them that long or until more simmers had lost interest in the game. They would much more likely have been the very first EPs to be released. So when this didn't happen then I am actually not sure if they will be released for TS4 at all.

In so many threads and feeds, people are asking for seasons, they are asking for pets. They are in demand and get flooded into so many topics. They are probably the two most asked about and in demand for EP's. I do not believe they have been, for as you say postponed ... it took two years for us to get toddlers. People said they would never happen .... yet here they are. They and the vampire GP did bring a lot of people back to the Sims4.

If given the rate of EP's I would say we will get seasons or pets next, then some other new/meshed theme, then the other seasons/pets and one more new/meshed theme before the end and the release of Sims5.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    No way they would skip on season, pets and university! I could be wrong, but I doubt it. If they left Sims 4 like this and moved on to Sims 5, they would get just as much backlash as with toddlers. I, for one would most certainly not buy Sims 5, if they did that. What if there were problems with that and they abandon that as well before it's done? I would not spend that much money on another unfinished game!
  • Options
    JJWildesJJWildes Posts: 12 New Member
    I am so glad they are continuing through 2018! They really need to add so much more to Sims 4 to make it stand out to the other games.
  • Options

In so many threads and feeds, people are asking for seasons, they are asking for pets. They are in demand and get flooded into so many topics. They are probably the two most asked about and in demand for EP's. I do not believe they have been, for as you say postponed ... it took two years for us to get toddlers. People said they would never happen .... yet here they are. They and the vampire GP did bring a lot of people back to the Sims4.

If given the rate of EP's I would say we will get seasons or pets next, then some other new/meshed theme, then the other seasons/pets and one more new/meshed theme before the end and the release of Sims5.
    I don't believe that they even had planned to release toddlers for TS4. But EA probably just didn't like that the foss about toddlers just continued even two whole years after the release of the basegame. So EA decided to stop this and told the developers to make toddlers anyway.

EA doesn't listen to the forum and as I have written several times EA clearly sees the main group of customers for this game to be young teens who very rarely visit this forum. The game has sold in millions and it sure isn't the very few hundred adult simmers in this forum who have bought that many games. So EA may be right that it is the very young teens who don't visit the forum but get the games anyway that are the most important simmers. We don't know the sales numbers. But if Pets and Seasons weren't the EPs that had highest sales numbers and both the GPs and the SPs has as high sales numbers then EA's attitude is quite understandable.

EA will probably release an EP late in 2017 and another late in 2018. But they are likely to be the two last EPs. If they won't be exactly Pets and Seasons then one of those may not be released for TS4 at all - unless it will be released as a GP instead.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    there going to keep making it till it doesn't sell
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    It isn't as simple as that because they didn't release TS4 because TS3 didn't sell anymore. Even now TS3 still sells very well - which may be another reason for EA not to release Pets or Seasons for TS4 because the customers don't like to buy just the same EPs for both games. So EA may think that it is better to release two other EPs for TS4 and just let people who love Pets and Seasons buy them for TS3 instead.

But even so EA always has released a new basegame after 4 to 5 years. The main reasons most likely are:
    1. After that time the game has too many bugs which EA doesn't want to make problems for the next expansions.
    2. New technology makes it possible to make expansions more efficiently - but only for a new basegame which support that technology.
    3. New customers can be scared away from buying the game at all by seeing that the game already has dozens of expansions which they may think that they will have to buy too. Sales numbers can therefore go down if EA doesn't switch to a new basegame.
  • Options
    AnckaaAnckaa Posts: 63 Member
    If the game makes it to the end depends on the team working on the sims 4. If they put effort in packs, fans will recognize that and more people will want to play the game. Right now I thing they are giving out more surfaced packs that could be improved (e.g. a social media career doesn't show what you post, how your website looks etc. All I can see is only a popup which says I gained around 20 followers each time. In the sims 3 you could select the theme of the blog, write your posts and upload pictures. I guess I expected an upgrade to that in the sims 4).
  • Options
    AnckaaAnckaa Posts: 63 Member
    think*
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited April 2017
    It isn't as simple as that because they didn't release TS4 because TS3 didn't sell anymore. Even now TS3 still sells very well - which may be another reason for EA not to release Pets or Seasons for TS4 because the customers don't like to buy just the same EPs for both games. So EA may think that it is better to release two other EPs for TS4 and just let people who love Pets and Seasons buy them for TS3 instead.

But even so EA always has released a new basegame after 4 to 5 years. The main reasons most likely are:
    1. After that time the game has too many bugs which EA doesn't want to make problems for the next expansions.
    2. New technology makes it possible to make expansions more efficiently - but only for a new basegame which support that technology.
    3. New customers can be scared away from buying the game at all by seeing that the game already has dozens of expansions which they may think that they will have to buy too. Sales numbers can therefore go down if EA doesn't switch to a new basegame.

if you say so
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options

if you say so
    No. If EA says so ;)
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    2yzdF15.png

*Olympus

Nope.

Evidence please? :)

The same place that the evidence for Olympus was found :)
    I'll dig around later, but it was been brought up many times, lol.

found anything yet? :) Love to hear of these alternative facts.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Anckaa wrote: »
    If the game makes it to the end depends on the team working on the sims 4. If they put effort in packs, fans will recognize that and more people will want to play the game. Right now I thing they are giving out more surfaced packs that could be improved (e.g. a social media career doesn't show what you post, how your website looks etc. All I can see is only a popup which says I gained around 20 followers each time. In the sims 3 you could select the theme of the blog, write your posts and upload pictures. I guess I expected an upgrade to that in the sims 4).

Yeah, that was actually fun.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

I don't believe that they even had planned to release toddlers for TS4. But EA probably just didn't like that the foss about toddlers just continued even two whole years after the release of the basegame. So EA decided to stop this and told the developers to make toddlers anyway.

EA doesn't listen to the forum and as I have written several times EA clearly sees the main group of customers for this game to be young teens who very rarely visit this forum. The game has sold in millions and it sure isn't the very few hundred adult simmers in this forum who have bought that many games. So EA may be right that it is the very young teens who don't visit the forum but get the games anyway that are the most important simmers. We don't know the sales numbers. But if Pets and Seasons weren't the EPs that had highest sales numbers and both the GPs and the SPs has as high sales numbers then EA's attitude is quite understandable.

EA will probably release an EP late in 2017 and another late in 2018. But they are likely to be the two last EPs. If they won't be exactly Pets and Seasons then one of those may not be released for TS4 at all - unless it will be released as a GP instead.

I don't know that they were added simply because of the backlash from so many players. When toddlers finally came out, some official source (blog, guru, can't quite recall) said toddlers were planned all along, or at least from very early on.
  • Options
    Pegasys wrote: »

I don't know that they were added simply because of the backlash from so many players. When toddlers finally came out, some official source (blog, guru, can't quite recall) said toddlers were planned all along, or at least from very early on.
    It was a guru who said that they had wanted to add toddlers from the beginning. I believe that they even made some preliminary work on toddlers when they were working on the basegame. But what probably happened was that EA had given them too small a budget to make everything that considered and wanted. So the leading producer had to negotiate with EA about how to finish the game within the budget or if they could have a bigger budget. Those negotiations then likely had the result that EA wanted to target TS4 more on partying and new content in SPs and GPs and therefore preferred toddlers to be dropped, babies simplified and that teens were given the same height as adults to save time. But I don't believe for a minute that it was in EA's plans to allow them to add toddlers later. So it must have been the unexpected hype about toddlers even two whole years after the basegame release that finally convinced EA to tell the team to make toddlers for TS4 anyway. That is the only possible reasonable explanation as I see it why toddlers only was added 2.5 years after the basegame release.
  • Options
    2yzdF15.png

*Olympus

Nope.

Ahem-

Kind Regards.

Don't see how anything I said is wrong. You were the source of the misinformation that I corrected, and then you provided a link to your information that yielded nothing actually backing up anything you claimed, but threw credibility behind my post.

If you consider proving yourself wrong as proving me wrong then I'm glad you found some closure. It must have been eating you up with how snarky your post comes across.

So in short: Sims 4 began development as an online game, somewhere between 2012/2013 EA made the call to trash the online game and redevelop it as an offline game using the scraps of the online game(cost savings), in 2013 this information was leaked onto the internet where it was pretty heavily scrutinized, and ultimately became more legitimate than not. In 2014 The Sims 4 released, and since then remnants of Olympus has been discovered in the offline game. Some modder even got The Sims 4 working as a multiplayer game (not necessarily a fully functional one), something that would not be possible in a game designed solely for offline single player use.

Take it or leave it, it's really not my concern if someone doesn't want to believe the information that's readily available and has been widely discussed for nearly 4 years already.

Again, I'm posting actual quotes, and you're posting an interpretation of them, which is speculation.

Post facts and actual quotes if you're going to correct me. I am only posting confirmed and factual quotes. Not what people "think" is being said.

The direct quote states they used a new engine for The Sims 4, which means it's not a modified version of Olympus, which is what you said was incorrect.

• Options
    2yzdF15.png

*Olympus

Nope.

Evidence please? :)

The same place that the evidence for Olympus was found :)
    I'll dig around later, but it was been brought up many times, lol.

found anything yet? :) Love to hear of these alternative facts.

Posted already :) The only people posting alternative facts are the people not posting direct quotes from Patrick Kelly.

Unlike myself.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_dxg7orplfvcccw0ckc4ks8cg4_640.gif