Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 will continue into 2018!

Comments

• Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @aws200 wrote: »
    So at least another 5-8 stuff packs, 2-4 game packs, and 1 expansion pack before end of 2018. Alright doesn't matter when it ends though. As long as they take their time with the next game and not rush it or attempt to make another Sims Online then realize people don't want always online DRM via Sim City 2013 therefore scrap the original product (Olympus) and make a new game in under a year with excuses as to why its not good as the past base games. Just take the time to make something good, a true sequel. As for Sims 4....eh its not going places after all these years so another year or two of content won't make a difference. Still lack so much base game features/content from past games after about three years. To which I doubt we will ever see in Sims 4 since there's so many issues and limitations as even the developers have admitted to. Such as beards and lounge chairs are harder to make than in the past.
    2yzdF15.png
    This is actually upsetting. If a sequel is more limiting then how can it be more fun than the last game?

You obviously didn't understand the context of her tweet, lmao.
    The Sims 3 wasn't limited because they used The Sims 2 engine.
    The Sims 4 has started from Scratch.

They added beards in Get Together.

*Olympus
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    So at least another 5-8 stuff packs, 2-4 game packs, and 1 expansion pack before end of 2018. Alright doesn't matter when it ends though. As long as they take their time with the next game and not rush it or attempt to make another Sims Online then realize people don't want always online DRM via Sim City 2013 therefore scrap the original product (Olympus) and make a new game in under a year with excuses as to why its not good as the past base games. Just take the time to make something good, a true sequel. As for Sims 4....eh its not going places after all these years so another year or two of content won't make a difference. Still lack so much base game features/content from past games after about three years. To which I doubt we will ever see in Sims 4 since there's so many issues and limitations as even the developers have admitted to. Such as beards and lounge chairs are harder to make than in the past.
    2yzdF15.png
    This is actually upsetting. If a sequel is more limiting then how can it be more fun than the last game?

*Olympus

Nope.

The person who confirmed Olympus (Patrick Kelly) literally said that Olympus was a 2D game separate from The Sims 4, and was scrapped early on. The Sims 4 was a seperate game. But shared the same "look" which is why people assumed The Sims 4 was Olympus.

Patrick Kelly confirmed The Sims 4 started from a whole new engine :)

It's just a misconception amongst Simmers who have heard about it through chinese whispers.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    That seems silly.. We just started 2017, is it really going to take a whole year for them to release a new stuff pack? Sims 3 ended in 2013 but they had a new expansion pack just around that time. That might mean something. I really wish they would lay off the stuff packs and focus more on expansion packs. Plus, didn't they release a new stuff pack every month for some repetitive time? I hope they work hard in these two years, and deliver something awesome :)

In order to get the full input of the community, the decision making processes are taking longer -- I'd expect that in house it only takes a week or maybe two for them to choose a theme, review art styles and choose one, and brainstorm about the type of objects (they can do the brainstorming while the concept artists work on their drawings most likely). Then it takes about 6 months to create the meshes, program the animations (especially for the new gameplay object(s) ) and any new interactions or moodlets for the Sims. Then testing to make sure there are no game-breaking bugs (and even with testing things can sometimes slip through). We'll see other stuff packs between now and when the "community" SP releases, as well as the Family GP and an EP in the fall.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,734 Member
    I think TS4 will last at least 5 years.
  • Options
    AvianatorAvianator Posts: 188 Member
    Well...The Sims 4 has to last longer!
    Cause I still need my fairies and a beautiful tropical island vacation spot. ;)
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    2yzdF15.png

*Olympus

Nope.

The person who confirmed Olympus (Patrick Kelly) literally said that Olympus was a 2D game separate from The Sims 4, and was scrapped early on. The Sims 4 was a seperate game. But shared the same "look" which is why people assumed The Sims 4 was Olympus.

It's just a misconception amongst Simmers who have heard about it through chinese whispers.

Evidence please? :)
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    Last time I snooped around the history behind the Sims 4, it started out as an online project called Olympus, but ended up taking a completely different direction (offline gameplay) after SimCity 2013 failed miserably.

So yeah, no idea where that "2D gameplay" stuff came from because all the leaked stuff is in 3D and looks just like TS4, but with awful polygon counts and gloomy environments.

And then there's that Sims Icarus thing...
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,084 Member
    EA has said if Sims 4 isn't enough of a success, there won't be a Sims 5. So if they aren't going to make a Sims 5, they're going to milk Sims 4 like crazy. Why wouldn't they? That's what they always do with Sims games.
    Every time a pack comes out, I upgrade my Special Project.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    @Loanet I don't understand your message... Can you explain?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    EA has said if Sims 4 isn't enough of a success, there won't be a Sims 5. So if they aren't going to make a Sims 5, they're going to milk Sims 4 like crazy. Why wouldn't they? That's what they always do with Sims games.
    It wasn't EA who said that ;) It was only Grant Rodiek who was asked about TS5 when his job only was to tell people about TS4 in 2014 just after the release of the Sims 4 basegame ;)

Grant was clearly annoyed because people already talked about TS5 before they even had tried TS4. So he attempted to stop all talk about TS5 by saying that if TS4 wouldn't be successful then there wouldn't be a Sims 5. That was obviously almost certainly true. But it wasn't his decision at all (because he isn't a member of EA's top or board) and the Sims 4 topped the bestseller lists for PC games already in 2015. Therefore we can be quite sure that TS5 will be released too! :)

But I don't believe that there is any chance of TS5 being released before late in 2018 and most likely TS5 will be released in the middle of 2019. (There has never been more than 5 yrs between 2 Sims games in this series and only MMO games usually have a longer lifetime than at most 5 yrs. I don't even know a single example which differs from that.)
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    It wasn't EA who said that ;) It was only Grant Rodiek who was asked about TS5 when his job only was to tell people about TS4 in 2014 just after the release of the Sims 4 basegame ;)

Grant was clearly annoyed because people already talked about TS5 before they even had tried TS4. So he attempted to stop all talk about TS5 by saying that if TS4 wouldn't be successful then there wouldn't be a Sims 5. That was obviously almost certainly true. But it wasn't his decision at all (because he isn't a member of EA's top or board) and the Sims 4 topped the bestseller lists for PC games already in 2015. Therefore we can be quite sure that TS5 will be released too! :)

But I don't believe that there is any chance of TS5 being released before late in 2018 and most likely TS5 will be released in the middle of 2019. (There has never been more than 5 yrs between 2 Sims games in this series and only MMO games usually have a longer lifetime than at most 5 yrs. I don't even know a single example which differs from that.)

If TS4 has good sold, why they are so sparsely in the sims team?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

If TS4 has good sold, why they are so sparsely in the sims team?
    What do you mean by that?
  • Options
    TS3 was a best-seller, and finally they had 3 studios for EP's. You saying TS4 was best-seller in 2015, so why they are so sparsely on the team? Normally, when a game is good sold, they are many people in the studio, but it's not the case for TS4.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    TS3 was a best-seller, and finally they had 3 studios for EP's. You saying TS4 was best-seller in 2015, so why they are so sparsely on the team? Normally, when a game is good sold, they are many people in the studio, but it's not the case for TS4.

They had two EP teams, not three. Sims 4, instead, has one EP team and one GP team. I've seen no actual evidence presented that there's not a huge studio. I've not been able to find credits for EPs (Mobygames hasn't been listing them), but here's the Sims 4 base game credits: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/sims-4/credits. The base game was not developed in the Emeryville studio that closed a couple of years ago.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    2yzdF15.png

*Olympus

Nope.

Evidence please? :)

The same place that the evidence for Olympus was found :)
    I'll dig around later, but it was been brought up many times, lol.
  • Options
    2yzdF15.png

*Olympus

Nope.

Ahem-
    This is by far one of the most exaggerated, and untrue posts I have ever seen from you dude. First of all, PK never said Olympus was 2D and he never, ever, ever said that Olympus was a completely different game than The Sims 4. He actually said quite the opposite, and the visual mock ups we have show what, a 3D game??

Sims 4 as an online game failed during development, so they changed course and made it into an offline game with the scraps of what they had. Seriously, that is what Patrick Kelly shared, nothing more. If you have some sort of legitimate source please share, but your anonymous forum post from another website is not legit. Your theory is not legit, because it does not work with the realities of game development.

The only one assuming anything here is you, and you are assuming that people will buy your fabricated, nonsensical, totally unbelievable conspiracy theory. The Sims 4 started out as an online game, there is code remaining from the online game in the offline game we have today. Enough is enough, instead of using your energy creating stories to deny that fact, how about you suck it up and get over it? Trying to make people think it never happened doesn't make Sims 4 a better game.

I literally had this conversation from you before. And once I gave you the details, you fled the thread straight away.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @drake_mccarty @Ciarassims;

Q: So up until last year the game was multiplayer online? Is it even possible to change the mechanics of the game without breaking it?
    A: From what I read in the announcement, they decided to go with a new game engine for the offline version.

Olympus wasn't 2D as such, but Patrick Kelly said it wasn't a 3D rendered engine.

It's all in this page:
    goo.gl/yPwT4H

Patrick Kelly literally states The Sims 4 has a new game engine, not Olympus' engine.

So please Drake, if we can stop with all the dramatics every time you question my posts, only for me to bring the sources through, that would be lovely.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member

Starcraft II. It's still officially supported (and even had an update recently, I believe).

Minecraft on the PC is still supported and it's alpha came out for purchase in mid 2010.

Those are just on the top of my head.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options

Starcraft II. It's still officially supported (and even had an update recently, I believe).

Minecraft on the PC is still supported and it's alpha came out for purchase in mid 2010.

Those are just on the top of my head.
    Then you could as well have mentioned the Sims 3 from 2009 which also still is supported and sold by EA ;)

Starcraft 3 will probably never be released and the same is the case with Warcraft 4. Minecraft is available for many platforms. But it doesn't seem to need a second version.

But to compare the Sims series with those games is about the same as to say that EA should just continue to sell TS3 and TS4 and only stop making expansions and never release TS5. Let us hope that this doesn't happen.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I hope it will last to 2020
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I think TS5 will release on or around the 20th anniversary of The Sims, which I think would set the bar high!
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Q: So up until last year the game was multiplayer online? Is it even possible to change the mechanics of the game without breaking it?
    A: From what I read in the announcement, they decided to go with a new game engine for the offline version.

Olympus wasn't 2D as such, but Patrick Kelly said it wasn't a 3D rendered engine.

It's all in this page:
    goo.gl/yPwT4H

Patrick Kelly literally states The Sims 4 has a new game engine, not Olympus' engine.

So please Drake, if we can stop with all the dramatics every time you question my posts, only for me to bring the sources through, that would be lovely.

Seriously? That source doesn't back up anything you said beyond getting a new engine, which isn't even the point I took issue with.

You said it was a 2D game, which is wrong.
    You said it was a separate game, which is wrong.

They swapped out game engines. That's true, but Olympus + Sims 4 are identical regardless of that. They were at one point the same exact game, regardless of getting a new engine that was more than likely created from the online engine they scrapped. Do you think they had a completely different simulation engine just sitting around gathering dust? No. With how horrible the game was from AI to under the hood mechanics, it would make the most sense that what we got was created from something else instead of created for the purpose in which it was used.

I will always question your posts, and any post that makes bold statements going against confirmed information. This is the only time you have produced a source to my knowledge, and it doesn't exactly prove the point you are trying to make. Not sure what you consider dramatics, all I did was ask for a source because you were spreading false information, which you do regularly. Maybe if you fact checked yourself you could avoid others 'being dramatic' and calling you out on being wrong.
  • Options
    There is a reason why EA calls such projects Olympus, Ikarus or whatever instead of calling them the Sims 4 project or whatever game they were meant for - and it obviously is that EA doesn't want ordinary developers to know which game they are working on because if they did then the information could be leaked to the public. So most likely only a couple of the top producers (who had to know such that they could discuss things with EA) knew that. But all the other developers of course had their suspicions, guesses and believes. Patrick Kelly thought that it most likely was TS4. But my guess is that he was wrong because Olympus was too different from TS4 and I also remember to have seen some pictures in 2D which Patrick Kelly had leaked. Those pictures didn't look like something which had anything to do with the much more advanced graphics in TS4. So this graphics must have been developed for something else. We will just never know because Olympus was later dropped by EA.
  • Options

It's all in this page:
    goo.gl/yPwT4H

Seriously? That source doesn't back up anything you said beyond getting a new engine, which isn't even the point I took issue with.

You said it was a 2D game, which is wrong.
    You said it was a separate game, which is wrong.

They swapped out game engines. That's true, but Olympus + Sims 4 are identical regardless of that. They were at one point the same exact game, regardless of getting a new engine that was more than likely created from the online engine they scrapped. Do you think they had a completely different simulation engine just sitting around gathering dust? No. With how horrible the game was from AI to under the hood mechanics, it would make the most sense that what we got was created from something else instead of created for the purpose in which it was used.

I will always question your posts, and any post that makes bold statements going against confirmed information. This is the only time you have produced a source to my knowledge, and it doesn't exactly prove the point you are trying to make. Not sure what you consider dramatics, all I did was ask for a source because you were spreading false information, which you do regularly. Maybe if you fact checked yourself you could avoid others 'being dramatic' and calling you out on being wrong.

Apart from the fact you just made 80% of this up,

A new engine means they started from scratch. Assets from Olympus may have been reused as he said (such as objects etc) as he said, but a new engine means it was never an online game.

A new engine, means exactly that. A whole new game. Started from scratch. The Sims 2 took assets from The Sims Bustin Out, does that make The Sims 2 a Bustin Out add on? No, because the Sims 2 is it's own game, with some assets carried over.

Assets carried over =/= The same engine

Your interpretations don't overrule the facts, I'm afraid.
    So until you have some facts to share, your speculation isn't worth derailing my comments.

Also, I have posted this before. And in fact, you've never posted a single source, ever, in any thread, when you counter-post.
    I can do the same. But I will provide a source when asked.

As for the 2D comments, he says this:

"The Interactions and User Interface are separate from the 3D world/game engine. They will have to hook up the Interactions and UI to the new 3D engine"

This implies that the original engine may have not been fully 3D and his images support this. Perhaps not 2D, but not fully 3D either.