The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So I guess this will be the last sims game

We all pretty much know that the developers confirmed there will be no continuations of the sims franchise if ts4 doesn't do well.
So do you think this is the end of the sims franchise?
Im starting to get hopeless with this game. Im giving up.

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Apparently S4 is doing very well.
  • Options
    cey5cey5 Posts: 79 Member
    Yeah I think it's the end :( just read what people post all of it adds up. The lack of eps, game packs, features in ts4 :(
  • Options
    TS4 was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is the most successful of any Sims game. Don't worry; there will be a Sims 5.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I hope that there is a The Sims 5 and I hope it is even better than TS3. For that reason I actually do hope that TS4 sales well.

Come on guys, keep buying TS4 because us TS5 hopfulls our counting on you! B)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I'm not convinced there will be a sims 5. I'm also not sure if there should be a sims 5. As sad as I am to think about The Sims ending, it's better to go out with a bang then being remembered for all the wrong reasons.

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    If TS4 wasn't doing well, it wouldn't have made it as far in as it has. EA is a mega corporation, not a charity.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    There are lots of people who don't like the sims 4, and they want to talk about it. But there are also lots of people who do like it but they don't feel the need to talk about it. There are probably even more people who like it
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Minai wrote: »
    We all pretty much know that the developers confirmed there will be no continuations of the sims franchise if ts4 doesn't do well.
    It was only a remark from an annoyed developer when he presented the Sims 4 basegame and people suddenly gave him questions about the Sims 5 instead. Obviously he was right that if nobody had bought TS4 EA probably would have chosen to stop the series. But it still wasn't at all his decision and EA surely won't stop the Sims franchise as long as the games are among the best selling EA games :)
    No the Sims franchise will continue on all platforms and the main PC games will still get more expansions released each year than any other games. But EA's experiment about letting TS4 be just an easier and happier Sims game than any other Sims game ever had been - hopefully won't be repeated - and it won't unless TS4's sales numbers are much higher than any of us believe.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,518 Member

Nope.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,571 Member
    nope but if i ever decide to move on to the sims5 for me the sims5 need to be a major wow and have options to give simmers more control like turn off aging cheats for more money ect turn off death and super naturals including content simmers would not went to use in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Nah, as long as people pay for content, and it makes money, sims series will go on.

Now, what future sims games will be like is another topic. EA may go full-on mobile or console, or the more casual-type gameplay of Sims 4 may be the new trend future PC sims games may be going, etc.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    The only indication there seems to be that Sims 4 might not be doing well is complaint-post count. As far as output, we've been getting regular patches, EPs (less often than we used to, but with GPs filling in the rest), GPs (in-game-file evidence suggests one as early as next month), and SPs. There's been no indication of layoffs of transfers of people out of the Sims team. Seems to me that it's chugging along. And if you check elsewhere in the Speculation forum, there's a job ad that could be interpreted as being for Sims 5, or at least for some other non-Sims 4 new Sims thing. I'm not angsting over the complaint count as overriding any of the rest of what's happening with the game and studio.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I can't imagine The Sims 4 ending when EA loves popping out stuff packs like there's no tomorrow...
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I can't imagine The Sims 4 ending when EA loves popping out stuff packs like there's no tomorrow...

They have started placing ads for employees for hire on a new 'Sims' venture. So, it will last until that is done. So, it may be a mobile game, since EA is still bent on becoming all mobile, and a mobile game may not take as long as a PC game, so until that one appears is about how long TS4 will last. Another year or maybe a little more.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

I will never quite understand these threads. What do you base the assumption on that The Sims 4 is not doing well? The forums, even if you see the feedback as mainly negative (which I do not), are not representative of how well the game is doing. People come to the forums to seek inspiration, communicate with like-minded people, promote any kind of content they may have created, looking for help (or attention) - and of course: to complain. Before making assumptions, just do a little research. Please find below a link to the ESA report for 2015 (obviously 2016 is not out yet). I refer you to page 11. The Sims 4 was the Top Selling COMPUTER Game of 2015 in units sold. While that does not translate to most $ earned, I do not see how this can translate to failure either.

http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/Essential-Facts-2016.pdf
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The only indication there seems to be that Sims 4 might not be doing well is complaint-post count. As far as output, we've been getting regular patches, EPs (less often than we used to, but with GPs filling in the rest), GPs (in-game-file evidence suggests one as early as next month), and SPs. There's been no indication of layoffs of transfers of people out of the Sims team. Seems to me that it's chugging along. And if you check elsewhere in the Speculation forum, there's a job ad that could be interpreted as being for Sims 5, or at least for some other non-Sims 4 new Sims thing. I'm not angsting over the complaint count as overriding any of the rest of what's happening with the game and studio.

If folks step out of the forum bubble, there are lots of people playing and posting on social media (Twitter, Facebook), streaming on sites like Twitch, making videos for YouTube, etc. They might not be completely happy and realize that things are missing, but they're enjoying what we do have for now while looking forward to new content.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    There isn't really enough evidence for me to say 100% that sims 4 isn't doing well, nor that it's selling the best of all the sims. I personally like sims 4 and that's really all that matters to me. As far as being the end of sims all together, again there has been no official word on that either, and won't be for a long time. I'm not worried about it.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Remember Spore? Remember SimCity 13?
    When those tanked, EA and Maxis didn't keep them on life support for longer than absolutely necessary.

After Spore's first EP, they loaded it up with exclusive promotional content that nobody could use (or wanted to use, as it was a tie-in with Dr. Pepper; which is almost as polarising as Spore was) and then tried a last-ditch reboot which ignored everything that the fans wanted. And when that failed, they let it die. No underwater stage. No realistic parts. No gameplay modes that had any strategy or meaning to them whatsoever.

When SimCity failed, they tried for a year to get people to play it in spite of its shortcomings, and when they finally added offline mode a year later, it was too late. And so they let it die as well.

The Sims 4, by comparison, has been around for 2 and a half years. It consistently gets DLC and patch support, and they've tried to give the fans what they want. Pools. Ghosts. More "realistic" careers. Smaller, less ridiculously-sized games consoles. Vampires, after the last 2 expansions lacked an occult. CAST and Open World are unlikely, but we've seen toddler files in the game.

Maxis is trying with The Sims 4. It hasn't been abandoned.
    If it wasn't turning a profit, it it was losing players like SimCity did, they wouldn't have put in the manhours. Maxis would have been dissolved, and the employees either laid off or relocated into other dev teams. As @Triplis said, EA isn't running a charity.

And let's be honest. They've had no problems shutting down games and developers before.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    I think Sims 4 must be doing okay (maybe not great as past games?), if it seems like more content is being made...?

I personally like Sims 4 (with the added SPs, GPs, and EPs), and think it's okay so far.

I think it could have been much, much better, though.

I am currently waiting for more content for the upcoming new year.

I would love to see more classic past game content in this iteration.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options

I will never quite understand these threads. What do you base the assumption on that The Sims 4 is not doing well? The forums, even if you see the feedback as mainly negative (which I do not), are not representative of how well the game is doing. People come to the forums to seek inspiration, communicate with like-minded people, promote any kind of content they may have created, looking for help (or attention) - and of course: to complain. Before making assumptions, just do a little research. Please find below a link to the ESA report for 2015 (obviously 2016 is not out yet). I refer you to page 11. The Sims 4 was the Top Selling COMPUTER Game of 2015 in units sold. While that does not translate to most $ earned, I do not see how this can translate to failure either.

Maybe it's all games? But TS4 has been on sale more than I can count. And even GPs and EPs less than a month after release. True, companies mark up products 300 percent of cost in some cases, so when they have a sale they aren't really losing on the bottom line. But TS4 has been the most dodgy game for sales I have ever seen in this series. In my business courses (things changed?) we were informed nothing goes on sale unless you need to move a product or gen up an attraction to a new product/opposite the on sale item, and can afford the 'give away' which isn't a give away since you marked it high in the first place. Maybe it's the economy and all games, but if they can mark the game down to 75% off 99% of the time then how much was the cost to begin with? Not much? Or really inflated to begin with? Yes, it was an not even worth the $80 some paid. But to even have a sale on a sale (slashed to permanent half price all the time now) and put that discount also on sale seems like it needs saving.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    it may be a mobile game, since EA is still bent on becoming all mobile
    No. Please don't even suggest it! I've never been much of a console gamer, but in a few years if Sims 5 is only on console I may buy one. I just hope they don't go completely mobile. I don't want a game that is watered down to work on mobile devices.

Plus, I'm old. I can't see my phone to text much less play games on it. And my tablet only has Spider Solitaire and Candy Crush. You can't play real games on a tablet, either! :s

Grumble.....grumble....now what do I have to do to break the jinx? Is that mayo on the forehead, dancing in the moonlight? or howling at the moon drinking moonshine and mayo? :#
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Maybe it's all games? But TS4 has been on sale more than I can count. And even GPs and EPs less than a month after release. True, companies mark up products 300 percent of cost in some cases, so when they have a sale they aren't really losing on the bottom line. But TS4 has been the most dodgy game for sales I have ever seen in this series. In my business courses (things changed?) we were informed nothing goes on sale unless you need to move a product or gen up an attraction to a new product/opposite the on sale item, and can afford the 'give away' which isn't a give away since you marked it high in the first place. Maybe it's the economy and all games, but if they can mark the game down to 75% off 99% of the time then how much was the cost to begin with? Not much? Or really inflated to begin with? Yes, it was an not even worth the $80 some paid. But to even have a sale on a sale (slashed to permanent half price all the time now) and put that discount also on sale seems like it needs saving.

Sims 3 was also USD 50 at release and had massive sales all the time. I bought the base game a year after release for USD 30. Maybe this is something they do not necessarily teach in business courses, but the best way to make money with a game like The Sims over a long period of time is to get players hooked (with the base game) and then sell expansions, packs and other DLC. Even now people who are not fully satisfied with the game, cannot wait to download - and pay for - new content. Simmers, in general, want ALL THE THINGS.

But like I indicated above ("While that does not translate to most $ earned ...."), I am not saying that TS4 is the cash cow that former iterations used to be, but I do not believe that Top Selling COMPUTER Game in units sold in 2014 & 2015 is an indication of the franchise going under. I am happy to accept any non-anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I have no horse in this race, I just see these threads and comments and wonder where people get their information.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

Sims 3 was also USD 50 at release and had massive sales all the time. I bought the base game a year after release for USD 30. Maybe this is something they do not necessarily teach in business courses, but the best way to make money with a game like The Sims over a long period of time is to get players hooked (with the base game) and then sell expansions, packs and other DLC. Even now people who are not fully satisfied with the game, cannot wait to download - and pay for - new content. Simmers, in general, want ALL THE THINGS.

But like I indicated above ("While that does not translate to most $ earned ...."), I am not saying that TS4 is the cash cow that former iterations used to be, but I do not believe that Top Selling COMPUTER Game in units sold in 2014 & 2015 is an indication of the franchise going under. I am happy to accept any non-anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I have no horse in this race, I just see these threads and comments and wonder where people get their information.

Well, I got TS4 on sale within the first month when it was released. So, I don't know. Seems you could sell more if it's always half off. ETA: I'm not talking about units sold. I was talking about games best top selling PC games. And this has to remind you these are physical copies imagine the online sells.

TS4 didn't make the list in 2015.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-ten-best-selling-us-games-of-2015-and-december/1100-6433845/
  • Options
    Actually I had posted the relevant report above. It distinguishes between console and computer games, which your article does not. But why read what someone else wrote before pretending to answer it. I would also argue that TS4 sells at least as much online as physical copies, but I don't feel like doing the research anymore. So sure, the sims franchise is going under. As proof we have: 1. Emotional responses on the forum 2. You got the base game on sale one month after release 3. TS4 actually was the top-selling Computer game in 2015 in units sold, but not when it comes to physical copies, so who cares.

we all try ...