Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4: City Life (Apartments)... this is pathetic!

Comments

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    This was probably why they stop communicating with us lol

And it is the time we stop communicating with them be it words and money.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member

That ship has long sailed. :lol:
  • Options
    Speak for yourself. Personally, I'm thrilled that apartments are restricted to one city. It makes them all the more important!

"I'm happy with the limitations that the developers are giving us, despite the fact that even Sims 2 and Sims 3 had much more freedom than Sims 4!"

Why, that isn't what I said at all.

Also, freedom to slow down your game by putting lots where they don't belong doesn't make a great game. The Sims 4 was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is a global phenomenon. TS4 is already far more successful than TS2 and TS3 were, only 3 expansions in. We're witnessing history, and the greatness of TS4 will be appreciated by all when all is said and done.
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Just a friendly reminder:

Please avoid using descriptors such as "Developers are lazy" when expressing your feedback about content and remember to respect others play-styles / wants / desires when sharing your thoughts on the discussion at hand.

Thanks! :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    Ravager619 wrote: »
    Back at it again with the bashing...
    I'm in love with this new apartment system, don't ruin it for those who actually like it by bashing, bash, bash.

From my observation, the ones who complain the loudest tend to not buy content anyway. The rest of us can judge for ourselves on release day.

I've bought everything.. including the $90 preordered Premium edition two years ago.
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited September 2016
    Pary wrote: »
    Pary wrote: »
    I don't play the game but I WAS interested in how apartments would work, and I must say, I'm a bit surprised.
    Firstly about the loading screen. Aren't these apartments technically all in the same building? NPC + PC apts, I mean. I don't see why you would need a loading screen. You don't have loading screens going from room to room in the homes do you? I must admit to being baffled why it would work like that.

Secondly, I can understand why people are upset about not being able to build their own apartments. It would have been nice if they could have made things possible for everyone. Builders to build without sacrificing gameplay for players.

I think it's because doing it another way would have meant recoding the lot/neighbourhood system at the basegame level. It for sure would have been nice, though. The not-building part I'd assumed was the same reason but one of the SimGurus apparently said it's so that they could not have the height restriction that build/buy does. I'm assuming now that it's a bit of both, really, because even to build a lowrise, they'd have had to recode the whole lot structure, or else probably have the sacrifice of multiple playable units (I hated that sacrifice in 3, personally). I'm #TeamAllTheThings, but I do understand that sometimes it's just not possible, or not feasible without such huge costs that you'd not be able to cover them.

When you build something it always has to be on a foundation, doesn't it? Is that still a thing in TS4? I wonder if that's a reason as well.
    As I said in another thread, I don't play the game nor do I watch LP's any more, so I don't know how building works completely.

Hm, I really was expecting TS2 styled apartments to be honest. Since they had gone back to a closed world. I always wondered if they open world was the reason for the really silly styled apartments in Ts3 or whether they were just trying something new. I love apartment living for my sims but TS3 did it badly, so I thought they might revert it this time.

The foundations are optional (but so easy to do!).

I think we're closer to TS2 apartments than not, really. With the neighbours and all. But I don't think it'll be enough to lure you :) I'm pleased, though, more than not, though I'd have liked to be able to build as well - I didn't see anything in the trailer that looked like rowhouses, which I want, if possible. But the neighbours part really means a lot to me, and I'm happy to have that back. And the city feels like cities really do to me (I live downtown in a big city), so there's that, too. Anyway, this thread isn't really for me, it's been rightfully pointed out. One of these days I should dip my toes back into the family thread with some gameplay, maybe (when I get back to that - I've been wanting to play my Princess Leia game again). I read you all over there, but I've not wanted to feel like an intruder when everyone knows each other.

Everyone's welcome to post in that thread, there is no reason you would be intruding :) You'll have to put up with people like me moaning on occasion ( but lets face it you can read my posts doing that anywhere on the boards ) but people share family playing pictures from all the games and talk about what they'd like to see added.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    @SimGuruDrake can you tell us if some of the apartments have multiple bedrooms and how many is the maximum? So far I've only seen one bedroom apartments in the trailers unless I missed it.
  • Options
    ravamaileravamaile Posts: 168 Member
    I am so disappointed in this expansion pack. Sure, I have always suspected that the apartment system would be far from complex (as everything in this game), but THIS. Especially when the developers themselves claimed that they "are listening". It took them a year to make shells?

What was so complex about letting us build our own apartment complexes? We could have the special apartment doors like in TS2, and the apartment boundaries could be set like in TS2. Especially with the room system in TS4 it would be easier. (Room with an apartment door -> Scan for other doors -> Scan the next room for doors <-- Repeat this until there are no more rooms with additional doors. Simple recursion, isn't it?).

I hoped I could build my own townhouses and duplexes. I had plans for Newcrest :( I hoped that the apartment system would give me different ways to play. And now we have what? The developers are telling me HOW to play the game. It seems like it's their sandbox, not mine. I can't control anything in the game except that I can make a sim angry poop. How about #YouRule?

Now I see that some players are fine with this limitation. They haven't played TS2, obviously. Yes, I can always go back to TS2, but you know what? I bought TS4 hoping that it would get better. That they just had limited resources to build the game, that they just needed time. Two years later and still there are many limitations. I am so, so disappointed.
    If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently. (c) - @SimGuruDrake (LINK)
    Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. (c) - @SimGuruMax (LINK)
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    mskube wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake can you tell us if some of the apartments have multiple bedrooms and how many is the maximum? So far I've only seen one bedroom apartments in the trailers unless I missed it.

You can edit the interior of an apartment unit and they also come in varying sizes depending on which apartment building you are in so some apartments are more snug than others. @SimGuruDaniel would have to answer any other questions you'd have about apartments though as I'm not a producer or developer so I can't really speak to anything outside of what I've answered already :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    I was disappointed about not being able to build my own apartment, but after finding out that we can totally customize the interior including the walls and we can also build penthouses. So I'm okay with it now.
  • Options
    aobaob Posts: 904 Member
    I'm ok with not building apartments, but there are too many loading screens. It's not fair.
    8b787dbb95ac5f2afbd53010e3e3a47f4c9ed619.gif origin id: grilledtempeh
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Isn't the reason because the actual separate apartments are on quite different lots, so it isn't actually one building in the sense that there isn't 'a building' to actually place? I'm sure I read that somewhere...or was I dreaming..

Yeah, this. Basically, the apartments are a vertical neighborhood.
    So, instead of having 4 houses side-by-side, they're placed on top of each other.

Is it ideal? No. But I can see the reasoning behind it.

Hopefully the politics career will at least have some kind of City Ordinance ability, where we can choose the type of building used for the apartments- one of the leaks suggested we'll be able to edit uneditable lots (parks and such), so I could see this being the logical conclusion of that.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    mskube wrote: »

You can edit the interior of an apartment unit and they also come in varying sizes depending on which apartment building you are in so some apartments are more snug than others. @SimGuruDaniel would have to answer any other questions you'd have about apartments though as I'm not a producer or developer so I can't really speak to anything outside of what I've answered already :)

Thank you, I was just on twitter and I tweeted him and I read some of his other tweets and found out we can customize the interior yay. The more I find out about it the more I'm liking it. I really want rats or mice whatever those critters were in the trailer.
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    Isn't the reason because the actual separate apartments are on quite different lots, so it isn't actually one building in the sense that there isn't 'a building' to actually place? I'm sure I read that somewhere...or was I dreaming..

Yeah, this. Basically, the apartments are a vertical neighborhood.
    So, instead of having 4 houses side-by-side, they're placed on top of each other.

Is it ideal? No. But I can see the reasoning behind it.

Hopefully the politics career will at least have some kind of City Ordinance ability, where we can choose the type of building used for the apartments- one of the leaks suggested we'll be able to edit uneditable lots (parks and such), so I could see this being the logical conclusion of that.

Cool, thanks for that explanation. :) I'd forgotten about the new careers, be nice to know some more about those too.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Not having the "traits" available in non-San Myshuno apartments doesn't bother me. I just want to be able to build and use multiple-family dwellings like I do in Sims 2. I want the ability to have multiple families on one residential lot to help conserve space. Will I be able to do that, or not? If not, I don't have any interest in buying CL.

You can't have any apartment outside San Myshuno.

Thank you for letting me know. It was a long day at work, so I missed all the info. I should have known there would be limitations and restrictions, as that has been the common theme throughout the packs. I'm still disappointed though. The TS4 worlds are so tiny that TS2 apartments would have been so helpful. I'll be spending my game money on Planet Coaster instead. I give up.

I had such a big hope for this EP, all actually I wanted to build apartments any where in different worlds. Everything else to me would have been a nice added feature but I guess that did not happen. I think the sims 4 will screw every awesome pack we had in the past. 2 already done (OFB and AL from TS2)

For me November will be a dedicated month for Final Fantasy XV. I hope you enjoy Planet Coaster

Okay, enjoy your undriveable car.

wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,456 Member

They are communicating with us. That's what these trailers and blogs are.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,456 Member
    ravamaile wrote: »
    I am so disappointed in this expansion pack. Sure, I have always suspected that the apartment system would be far from complex (as everything in this game), but THIS. Especially when the developers themselves claimed that they "are listening". It took them a year to make shells?

What was so complex about letting us build our own apartment complexes? We could have the special apartment doors like in TS2, and the apartment boundaries could be set like in TS2. Especially with the room system in TS4 it would be easier. (Room with an apartment door -> Scan for other doors -> Scan the next room for doors <-- Repeat this until there are no more rooms with additional doors. Simple recursion, isn't it?).

I hoped I could build my own townhouses and duplexes. I had plans for Newcrest :( I hoped that the apartment system would give me different ways to play. And now we have what? The developers are telling me HOW to play the game. It seems like it's their sandbox, not mine. I can't control anything in the game except that I can make a sim angry poop. How about #YouRule?

Now I see that some players are fine with this limitation. They haven't played TS2, obviously. Yes, I can always go back to TS2, but you know what? I bought TS4 hoping that it would get better. That they just had limited resources to build the game, that they just needed time. Two years later and still there are many limitations. I am so, so disappointed.

No I think the city world is what's took so long combined with making apartments work like apartments. That's a lot of coding.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    It seems like alot of people wanted to have thier cake and eat it too

Whether you like it or not someone was going to be disappointed with this ep. If this was an ep just focused on apartments then I would agree but it's not. When you make anything there are certain restrictions and even Sims run into them. It's really up to you in the end whether or not you purchase this game and EA have shown you what they can offer so you either buy it or don't since none of this is mandatory and hey if it bothers you too much go on kickstarter get a whole lot of people together and make your own sims but until then this is as good as it gets.
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    Guys don't forget to speak with your wallet. That's how they'll listen. If you're not feeling it don't buy it.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    is building an apartment by the player a difficult task for the developers?

Well, if you can't do it then DONT do it. People has been asking for functional apartments since the TS3 days. they want the freedom to build apartments anywhere the style they want. We did not ask for shells.

Is that too complex or difficult to understand?

Apartments are a lot more than things to build. Why should nonbuilders have to give up apartment-related gameplay just because builders can't build them from scratch? Why should those of us who don't mind loading screens for neighbours (which we already have) have to give up apartment gameplay because people who already play with loading screens (assuming those people play Sims 4) don't want them there? Builders are not the whole player base. People who hate loading screens are not the whole player base.

Okay, I'm just going to be really blunt here for a moment but you do not need to go around preaching about play styles. @halimali1980 didn't even bring that up, you did. They were merely expressing their disappointment in how apartments have been implemented. They never said builders are the whole player base or people who hate loading screens are the whole player base.

But if you would like to go there, you and your play style are not the entire player base either. Why should builders have to give up the ability to build their own apartments just so you can have more gameplay? I'd argue that a lot of simmers probably see building as part of the gameplay. Why should we have to endure loading screens in an apartment building just because you don't mind them? See what I mean?

Hey, I wasn't the one saying they shouldn't have made the pack at all. And I can assure you that I wouldn't have said that if it had buildable apartments but no neighbours etc., either. Or if it had vampires instead of more realistic urban play. I do actually get that it's not all about me.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited September 2016
    YungGigi wrote: »
    Guys don't forget to speak with your wallet. That's how they'll listen. If you're not feeling it don't buy it.

I agree with this statement
    I see too often people buying the game even though they don't want it or hate the concept and content for Maxis to get a proper message you have to buy packs that are worth the money so they can make more packs that people will support and buy cause it's worth the money they're asking for. Even though I like Sims 4 if I feel that a pack is a rip off or just plain sucks I won't buy it.
  • Options
    ravamaileravamaile Posts: 168 Member
    ravamaile wrote: »

No I think the city world is what's took so long combined with making apartments work like apartments. That's a lot of coding.

But still they could make it possible to create apartments from scratch in TS2. City world? Please... Shells with lots combined with empty unplayable shells. Even TS3 had more possibilities.
    If people were not interested in what we were making we wouldn't continue what we are making. Our data shows us differently. (c) - @SimGuruDrake (LINK)
    Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. (c) - @SimGuruMax (LINK)