The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something seriously worrying just happened to my laptop

Comments

• Options
    FlyingDarkWingFlyingDarkWing Posts: 111 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    sekojrana wrote: »
    How does the pad get it's power? is it via the mains or does it connect to the laptop via USB?

It connects via usb. the one I have also has a usb slot on it, so you don't actually lose any usb ports when it's plugged in :)

That's good to know, thanks. I have 4 USB ports and I'm usually using one with three free, but it's good if it has one of it's own
    I'm think I might have to get one because when I play sims the fan will get hot like crazy so I really need to get on so only 4 and half months away until my birthday.

It's a good idea for a present isn't it? but four and a half months, you really need something sooner than that. Could you afford to buy it yourself, and have a relative give you the money for it on your birthday?

don't have a job i'm 20 years old and still live with mother.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    edited April 2016
    How does the pad get it's power? is it via the mains or does it connect to the laptop via USB?

It connects via usb. the one I have also has a usb slot on it, so you don't actually lose any usb ports when it's plugged in :)

That's good to know, thanks. I have 4 USB ports and I'm usually using one with three free, but it's good if it has one of it's own
    I'm think I might have to get one because when I play sims the fan will get hot like crazy so I really need to get on so only 4 and half months away until my birthday.

It's a good idea for a present isn't it? but four and a half months, you really need something sooner than that. Could you afford to buy it yourself, and have a relative give you the money for it on your birthday?

Not that different from me; I'm mid-twenties and still live with my mother too. Ok, I understand the cash-flow issue, believe me - couldn't you make a makeshift pad until your birthday; get 2 books/bricks etc: something the length of the side of the laptop, and that are both of the same height - a couple of inches ideally, and stand the laptop feet on them? provided all the feet are supported equally it'll raise it up a bit, allowing air to move underneath.

Alternatively, stand the feet on CD/DVD cases, so long as they don't move around - you might need to secure them somehow.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    Update:
    I haven't tried playing the sims again as I'm still a bit on edge. I've been listening closely to what the fan's doing, meanwhile I've only got a firefox window open on this site, and it appears to be working normally again.
  • Options
    FlyingDarkWingFlyingDarkWing Posts: 111 Member

Not that different from me; I'm mid-twenties and still live with my mother too. Ok, I understand the cash-flow issue, believe me - couldn't you make a makeshift pad until your birthday; get 2 books/bricks etc: something the length of the side of the laptop, and that are both of the same height - a couple of inches ideally, and stand the laptop feet on them? provided all the feet are supported equally it'll raise it up a bit, allowing air to move underneath.

Alternatively, stand the feet on CD/DVD cases, so long as they don't move around - you might need to secure them somehow.

No don't have any books for that or dvd cases
  • Options
    Hmm. If I can think of any other solutions I'll get back to you. If you're able to raise it up a couple of inches it might help but I'm sorry I'm out of ideas at the moment.
  • Options
    sekojranasekojrana Posts: 107 Member
    While I think of it, sorry for sounding completely clueless but is there such a thing as too much cooling?
    ie, would I need to use a pad when, say, browsing the internet, when the fan isn't even going half the time, and when it is it's minimal.
    I thought internal computer components were like muscles: not good for them to be exercised when cold, or am I wrong?

I don't think there's such thing as too much cooling, unless it's like, extreme. And the temperature of the cooling pad air is really only whatever the temperature of the room is, so you should be fine. I don't need to use the pad when I'm just like, browsing the internet or whatever though, just when I have a program open, so if the fan isn't overworking you can turn the pad off and just use it as a laptop stand. And plus, its a little better than a regular laptop stand, too, because it's designed for air to flow around it well instead of being a solid flat surface!
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Mine first did this whilst playing TS4; it does it about once a week now. It's not good for it but it is a three year old laptop. It also doesn't always happen whilst playing games anymore; it's happened whilst I've just been chatting on here.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    Some cooling fans use USB and some use USB and AC, I am using one that can operate by USB or electric current. I use USB when traveling and put it on electric when home.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited April 2016
    The same thing happened to me. Except my computer is a Desktop. So, I don't know much about Laptops and what not since you usually cannot make any 'upgrades' to them. I suppose it depends on the laptop, but like I said, I'm not laptop "savvy" (like for me, if it's a part that is corrupted, or going out, I can replace that part.. but laptops (?) I'm unsure if you can do that because of the intergrated stuff, but maybe that's changed a bit over the years). So, it could be the graphics card over-heating(?) Unless you've already ruled that out; and I definitely like those cooling pads and when I get my gaming laptop (I tend to have to travel to my mom's a bit so it'd be nice to have a laptop to play on instead of having to use my sisters computer, like how I'm doing now) a cooling pad is something I'd invest in too because those laptops get incredibly hot (at least from my experience with my mom's laptop, but she doesn't get those nice expensive ones, lol....)

My PC is BACK in the repair shop for the third time now.. because I was playing fine.. for about a week after I got my PC back. Turned it off because I was going to town and it had a Windows Update.... then it wouldn't power back up.

Then when it did... I would play other games fine... turned on The Sims 4.. and about.. I don't know... maybe an hour into it or so (?) I can't recall.. My entire computer shut off, just like your experience. No warning, just shut off.

Hopefully you can get it all figured out.

Because, I have a program that monitors my fans, and none of the temperatures were in the higher 60's. It would be between 40-65(ish) with the game on.

Hopefully you've gotten it figured out, or hopefully you do.

Mine is back with the repair guy with a brand new Power Supply.... hoping that is the cause and not something else; already 300 dollars put into this computer in just a little of 3 weeks. :'(
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    The Sims 4 makes my cpu fan go crazy. I'm not sure why. I have a gaming pc and if i'm having issues then I can't imagine what a laptop is making of it. Aside from a cooling pad and playing on lower settings with other background programs turned off, there's not much you can do. Laptops aren't good for gaming unless they are specifically built with the best parts and even then the nature of the hardware being in such a cramped environment will lead to overheating.

If it's getting to a point where your laptop is breaking and you need a replacement I really recommend getting a desktop pc for gaming instead. You get much better specs for the price as well. I have a low spec laptop for basic use. I wouldn't play any games on it.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    If you need a cheap cooling pad to tide you over until you can afford one of the more expensive models, Targus makes a model that costs just $20 and does a pretty good job.: http://targus.com/us/single-fan-chill-mat-awe69us

Using this model, my laptop can handle TS4 or a fully-loaded TS2 for 3-6 hour runs and still be in good shape temperature-wise. Though, I do think it may be time for me to do a little laptop fan cleaning myself...^_^;
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Just finished vacuuming the whole thing. I got out a (surprisingly bright) LED torch and shone it through all the vents afterwards, which I've never done before. The insides, what I can see of them look surprisingly clean - hardly a spec of dust in sight, except for the intake vent where the fan is - the TINIEST spec or two that the hoover missed and the finest bit on a couple of the blades. Not bad for a computer 3 and 1/3 years old!
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member

I once read an article by a pc repairman about all the things he found inside desktop CPU casings; spiders, spider's webs, mini tumbleweed, even an ant's nest! I've got some idea of the horrors in there. I also wipe over the whole screen, keyboard, buttons and touchpad with alcohol wipes - the sort used to clean lenses, every time I vacuum.

I an confirm this. I have found everything you could imagine inside computers. Drugs, money, ALL manner of bodily fluids, animals (alive and dead), bullets on three occasions, shed snake skins, bee hives, fingernails, it can get very gross. One of the strangest things I've seen was in a desktop. There was a pile of dead bugs, with a live praying mantis guarding it. He'd stand up and posture at us when we tried to get to the bug pile. Smokers and vapers leave a thin film inside that covers everything, which dust and such then gets stuck in, leaving the inside covered in yuck carpet. That can get into the fan bearings and gum it up. Be sure if you are blowing out the fan that it is not making that high-pitched squeal, that's not good for the fan. And if you ever remove your heatsink, always clean it and put fresh thermal compund back on.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited April 2016
    If you need a cheap cooling pad to tide you over until you can afford one of the more expensive models, Targus makes a model that costs just $20 and does a pretty good job.: http://targus.com/us/single-fan-chill-mat-awe69us

Using this model, my laptop can handle TS4 or a fully-loaded TS2 for 3-6 hour runs and still be in good shape temperature-wise. Though, I do think it may be time for me to do a little laptop fan cleaning myself...^_^;

You'll better off with a company that is known for their cooling pads (Cooler Master, Thermaltake, and Zalman) and the companies mentioned are directed towards those who game; be it the Sims or Fallout 4.

Targus, Logitech, and others mainly direct their cooling pads for the general use and non-gaming tasks. :)

While I have seen a few Targus cooling pads directed towards gaming, they are not as good as the other "gaming" cooling pad manufacturers.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Piperbird wrote: »

I once read an article by a pc repairman about all the things he found inside desktop CPU casings; spiders, spider's webs, mini tumbleweed, even an ant's nest! I've got some idea of the horrors in there. I also wipe over the whole screen, keyboard, buttons and touchpad with alcohol wipes - the sort used to clean lenses, every time I vacuum.

I an confirm this. I have found everything you could imagine inside computers. Drugs, money, ALL manner of bodily fluids, animals (alive and dead), bullets on three occasions, shed snake skins, bee hives, fingernails, it can get very gross. One of the strangest things I've seen was in a desktop. There was a pile of dead bugs, with a live praying mantis guarding it. He'd stand up and posture at us when we tried to get to the bug pile. Smokers and vapers leave a thin film inside that covers everything, which dust and such then gets stuck in, leaving the inside covered in yuck carpet. That can get into the fan bearings and gum it up. Be sure if you are blowing out the fan that it is not making that high-pitched squeal, that's not good for the fan. And if you ever remove your heatsink, always clean it and put fresh thermal compund back on.

Wow, that's so informative and interesting, thank you!

I don't think my technical skills extend quite to the level of heat sinks and thermal compound. Although I do know what they are, if I needed any repairs or maintenance done to any of the internal mechanisms I'd pay a professional to do it, rather than messing it up doing it myself, but thank you very much for the info, I'll bookmark this page for future reference. :)
  • Options

You'll better off with a company that is known for their cooling pads (Cooler Master, Thermaltake, and Zalman) and the companies mentioned are directed towards those who game; be it the Sims or Fallout 4.

Targus, Logitech, and others mainly direct their cooling pads for the general use and non-gaming tasks. :)

While I have seen a few Targus cooling pads directed towards gaming, they are not as good as the other "gaming" cooling pad manufacturers.

This is very useful info. A gaming-specific cooling pad. Right. I'm going to look at my options soon.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Until you can get another decent fan, do you have any small desk fans around?
    A few years ago I gave my younger son my laptop, and he used to overheat it.
    (a $1000 rip-off. :s 2006 model, I think...I kept the receipt just to prove how ridiculous prices used to be - especially for something that didn't even have dedicated graphics card)
    So as a joke, I directed a $5/ 5inch desk fan onto it.
    Used small round wooden blocks for feet - to let air under it.
    In 30 seconds it was half as hot, and a couple minutes later, only warm.
    (only suggesting it as temporary, to keep it from frying the motherboard).
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,725 Member
    edited April 2016
    I use a CoolingMaster cooling pad which is pretty neat cuz you can open it up and clean it as well so it won't blow in any dust back to your laptop. You should get one if you can.

From my experience, it only decreases my laptop temps by a couple of degrees Celsius but if I don't turn on the cooling pad at all, I will hear that my laptop's fans are a bit noisier as they're working harder. If I have it on, I won't even hear my laptop's fans (they probably are still working but just not like crazy :D). So I think it will be good to have a cooling pad. I use it all the time even when I'm surfing the web. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: The Blackest of Birds by Fightstar
    Y2D8eAf.gif
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »

Ewwwwwwwwww!

--T
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Sorry to hijack the thread, just gonna ask quickly without wanting any resolutions... Can the game crash because the laptop is dirty?
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    I doubt it. Have you ever had any program crash because of a dirty laptop?
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited April 2016
    I doubt it. Have you ever had any program crash because of a dirty laptop?

I was going to suggest this is could be the issue, I clean my laptop every few months I vacuum its openings I now also open it up since it's no longer under warranty but I tinker with and build computers- and it's always full of dust even though I always have it on a cooling fan.

but yeah dust build up will cause fans to not function properly and than a laptop will crash to prevent frying motherboard
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Hm...which is it then? :D
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread, just gonna ask quickly without wanting any resolutions... Can the game crash because the laptop is dirty?
    Yes.
    Very dusty, dirty insides CAN actually cause overheating and PC shutdown. (can eventually fry the motherboard/kill entire PC)
    Proper PC cleaning and maintenance extends your PC life. ;)
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited April 2016
    The sims 4 is a cpu hog.. it uses allot of the cpu, if you have a laptop (non gaming laptop ) that has not got good cooling and is dusty then it will most likely overheat.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide