May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Something seriously worrying just happened to my laptop

I was on sims4, and usually when I play the exhaust fan speeds up a bit, presumably because of the extra power being diverted to the graphics.
I'd only been playing for about five minutes, and I noticed the computer was quiet; the fan wasn't going. Just as I thought this odd, out of nowhere the computer shuts down with a clicking sound, which it never normally does - it just went OFF - no warning, nothing.

I thought I'd run the battery flat, but it was plugged in and is fully charged.

I'm now thinking maybe the insides were heating up and it shut off to protect itself - it's now on again and the fan is going like it would during gameplay but I'm very shaken up - Have you ever had a situation like this? where the internal cooling failed to engage?
I don't know why this happened and I'm worried about it happening again when I load the game again.
Does the sims 4 have anything to do with it? This is the first time I've loaded the game since the 21st April patch installed a few hours ago, is there a link?
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    It's a hardware problem with your fan. When it turned off it caused your computer to overheat and then shut down. I would recommend you either clean your fan and if that doesn't work you may need to replace it altogether.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    It's a hardware problem with your fan. When it turned off it caused your computer to overheat and then shut down. I would recommend you either clean your fan and if that doesn't work you may need to replace it altogether.

The fan is now working - it's cooling the excess heat out. I vacuum the whole computer regularly, and I pay particular attention to the intake and exhaust vents - I last did it about 3 weeks ago.

I'm on windows 7 - is there any way I can run a diagnostic check on the fan?
  • Options
    sekojranasekojrana Posts: 107 Member
    edited April 2016
    Do you have a cooling pad? This happens to my laptop all the time without one. I didn't realize when I bought the laptop, it was less than an inch thick, and unfortunately it can't circulate the air properly and just overheats and shuts off. This happens with the sims and photoshop, for me, but using a cooling pad fixed it. Also, how's your battery? When my laptop starts to over heat i unplug it and lift it into the air for a minute to cool down, and I leave it unplugged for a while. Luckily, my laptop can last about 2.5 hours unplugged, and usually while its unplugged I don't have as much of a problem, but I still have to use the cooling pad. Usually my fan will speed up first though, and then shut down.

• Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    lovejess2 wrote: »

The fan is now working - it's cooling the excess heat out. I vacuum the whole computer regularly, and I pay particular attention to the intake and exhaust vents - I last did it about 3 weeks ago.

I'm on windows 7 - is there any way I can run a diagnostic check on the fan?

I doubt it
    I'm having issues with mine but I'll be getting it replaced. It will work from time to time but with randomly stop and it may get worse as mine did since now there is a loud clicking sound all the time.
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Some models of laptops have on-board diagnostics that can test the fan. There is also 3rd party software you can use, but it does not work with every model, so you have to be specific. You said you clean your fan regularly, and that is VERY good. Especially if you have pets or are a smoker. I don't care how clean you think you are, the inside of your laptop is gross. (Trust me, I have stories.)

If it is clicking or squeaking it could be a broken blade or bearing inside, or is could just be debris in the fan. Some manufacturers use this awful orange tape to hold down cables, but the tape loses its sticky when the unit heats up. Now there are just little bits of tape in there, getting stuck in things.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The fan is still going. Usually when I turn the computer on it does a loud jet for a couple of seconds, which it did, then it remained loud - cooling the heat from the brief sims play, it's now on the lowest setting, as it were; still going but quietly. It's been doing that for about 20 minutes and the heat coming from the exhaust vent is cooler so the fan does work, I'm just very disturbed as to why it didn't before:

I have a heat pad of sorts: a hard plastic covered thick board I rest it on and it lives on there all the time, has done since I got it in december 2012 - I've played sims 2 and 3 (which really heats it up) a lot since then and have never had a problem until tonight which is why I'm so rattled.
    The heat does vent away very well. I make sure air can get in all around and the pad it rests on never gets hot.

I'm trying to download the Cooling Performance Diagnostic Tool from Toshiba but I can't find the 64 bit version for my system model.

The fan's just gone down a level then come up a level again. I'm glad it's working but I'm not sure what's going on. Norton security found and resolved 26 threats so maybe there's a connection.
  • Options
    I also ran a hardware diagnostic check and it came back normal.
  • Options
    I just held the computer up with the exhaust next to my face - the air coming out is slightly warm but not hot.

If it were a low spec pc, I would understand it heating up a lot during gameplay, as the hardware would be struggling to keep up, but it's quite high spec; it doesn't struggle to run TS4 so I can't imagine why it makes it heat up so much.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    When you clean your laptop, do you dismantle the back panel and use compressed air on the fan?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyEVSkz_0M

Notifying...
    @chesterbigbird
    @phoebebebe13
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    If you can get your hands on a legit cooling pad, (with a fan) try that and see if it makes a difference. My laptop's a few years old, and it handled ts3 and wonderfully until suddenly it didn't, lol. It seemed like the cooling issues came out of the blue with it. I've gone through a couple cooling pads before i found one that works, but I don't have too much trouble with it now. When you hear the fan starting to act like it's gonna crash, try lifting the laptop off it's pad and hold it up for a minute or so, and pull the adapter out until the fan returns to normal. Mine is also fairly high spec, I think, and it didn't struggle to run ts3 with all expansions. (It does now, but I've been having overheating problems for the past year and half with it, so I guess that's why :( )
  • Options
    sekojrana wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on a legit cooling pad, (with a fan) try that and see if it makes a difference. My laptop's a few years old, and it handled ts3 and wonderfully until suddenly it didn't, lol. It seemed like the cooling issues came out of the blue with it. I've gone through a couple cooling pads before i found one that works, but I don't have too much trouble with it now. When you hear the fan starting to act like it's gonna crash, try lifting the laptop off it's pad and hold it up for a minute or so, and pull the adapter out until the fan returns to normal. Mine is also fairly high spec, I think, and it didn't struggle to run ts3 with all expansions. (It does now, but I've been having overheating problems for the past year and half with it, so I guess that's why :( )

For the best cooling pads, you'll need to look at Cooler Master, Thermaltake, and Zalman.

Cooler Master:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-X3-Cooling/dp/B0079T2KHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291275&sr=8-1&keywords=cooler+master+cooling+pad

Thermaltake:
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Aluminum-Adjustable-Temperature-Notebook/dp/B00J0NZYOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291235&sr=8-1&keywords=thermaltake+cooling+pad

Zalman:
    http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-NC3500-Laptop-Cooling-Ports/dp/B008WJAY8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291258&sr=8-1&keywords=Zalman+cooling+pad
  • Options
    @Colton147147 I have a Thermaltake cooling pad now and it's the only one I've been successful with, actually! It's super quiet too. :)
  • Options
    ^ thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into them. My birthday's coming up next month and my mum wants to know what to get me so now I have an idea!

The air coming out is now cool. I don't use compressed air; I probably take about 45 minutes to hoover it properly - I go around all the vents - 6 in total, from all 4 sides and then face-on with the vent - each angle of vacuuming I do for about 30 seconds each, per vent.

P.s. I promise not to spend the rest of my life telling the internet what temperature the air from my laptop exhaust vent is.
  • Options
    FlyingDarkWingFlyingDarkWing Posts: 111 Member

For the best cooling pads, you'll need to look at Cooler Master, Thermaltake, and Zalman.

Cooler Master:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-X3-Cooling/dp/B0079T2KHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291275&sr=8-1&keywords=cooler+master+cooling+pad

Thermaltake:
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Aluminum-Adjustable-Temperature-Notebook/dp/B00J0NZYOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291235&sr=8-1&keywords=thermaltake+cooling+pad

Zalman:
    http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-NC3500-Laptop-Cooling-Ports/dp/B008WJAY8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461291258&sr=8-1&keywords=Zalman+cooling+pad

Hey do they have cooling pads in best buy or any other store that deals with electronics.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I might need to get a cooling pad myself. My fans are good, but I use my laptop on my bed a lot with blankets and such covering the fans.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    I might need to get a cooling pad myself. My fans are good, but I use my laptop on my bed a lot with blankets and such covering the fans.

Please don't ever allow blankets to cover the vents. If anything overheats too much, quite simply you might not live to regret it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I used not to have a board underneath, but it does make a massive difference.
    I looked at the links you so very helpfully provided @Colton147147 - the cooler master one is a bit out of my price range, but something by thermaltake seems more likely - their fans are quite reasonably priced (I had to log in to view the prices in £'s) and although I've not had time to read the reviews yet I've skimmed over them and it sounds like a good product.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Hey do they have cooling pads in best buy or any other store that deals with electronics.

Most likely.
  • Options

See cooling pad suggestions above.
  • Options
    How does the pad get it's power? is it via the mains or does it connect to the laptop via USB?
  • Options
    How does the pad get it's power? is it via the mains or does it connect to the laptop via USB?

It connects via usb. the one I have also has a usb slot on it, so you don't actually lose any usb ports when it's plugged in :)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Piperbird wrote: »
    Some models of laptops have on-board diagnostics that can test the fan. There is also 3rd party software you can use, but it does not work with every model, so you have to be specific. You said you clean your fan regularly, and that is VERY good. Especially if you have pets or are a smoker. I don't care how clean you think you are, the inside of your laptop is gross. (Trust me, I have stories.)

These are good points. We look after a couple of stray cats, but as I'm allergic and a bit ocd, I'm VERY firm in not allowing them upstairs, let alone near my room, which is where the computer always is (the mere thought is enough to induce a panic attack) and I don't smoke anymore but I vape in the room and while on the computer, but I make sure to blow the vapour the other way, and when I did smoke my parents always made me go outside, which is fair when there are other ex-smokers and cats in the house.

I once read an article by a pc repairman about all the things he found inside desktop CPU casings; spiders, spider's webs, mini tumbleweed, even an ant's nest! I've got some idea of the horrors in there. I also wipe over the whole screen, keyboard, buttons and touchpad with alcohol wipes - the sort used to clean lenses, every time I vacuum.

I know the avarage keyboard is home to a lot of dead skin, hair, saliva and let's call it "human bodily waste" so it's a good idea to clean the keys too!
  • Options
    FlyingDarkWingFlyingDarkWing Posts: 111 Member
    I'm think I might have to get one because when I play sims the fan will get hot like crazy so I really need to get on so only 4 and half months away until my birthday.
  • Options

It connects via usb. the one I have also has a usb slot on it, so you don't actually lose any usb ports when it's plugged in :)

That's good to know, thanks. I have 4 USB ports and I'm usually using one with three free, but it's good if it has one of it's own
    I'm think I might have to get one because when I play sims the fan will get hot like crazy so I really need to get on so only 4 and half months away until my birthday.

It's a good idea for a present isn't it? but four and a half months, you really need something sooner than that. Could you afford to buy it yourself, and have a relative give you the money for it on your birthday?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    While I think of it, sorry for sounding completely clueless but is there such a thing as too much cooling?
    ie, would I need to use a pad when, say, browsing the internet, when the fan isn't even going half the time, and when it is it's minimal.
    I thought internal computer components were like muscles: not good for them to be exercised when cold, or am I wrong?