Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Retail shop is pretty disappointing

Last week i opened for the first time my own retail shop. I opened a toy store and although it is fun, cause of what it is. But this game.. god, it is so lacking. I have found that even in the retail business its very limited and boring.

I knew the general complaints about having less option than ts2 open for business; how the cash register isnt even used by customers to pay at, that customers dont stand in line anymore, no shopping backs etc.

I cant think of anything else than some pointless social interactions with your customers that seem all the same and have no meaning, customers standing randomly in the store waiting to pay for their stuff, no pre-set opening/closing times/working days, the weird way of selling a product that doesnt make any sense. The blue bar above their head? When its practically empty they still buy products as fast as when its full.
Customers who are not getting help, just storm out, but thats it. There is no window popping up about what they are saying/thinking of the store. They also always come back after a few sim hours to start all over again with the buyin process.
I have the same customers every day! Customers are not even restricted to the theme of the store. I have more single sims that buy children toys, than actual kids or parents with kids. Its such an empty addition.
Also why cant you hire sims from the social menu? Why cant i add household members to the staff? Why cant i make uniforms for the store manager or household members? If you are not hired as staff, you dont get to wear uniforms? And the door locking options are also not helping when you have to choose between household members of staff.. why not both?

I only like the new addition to transfer money from your household to the store, so you wont spend more than you should and you can have a good look at what your finances are.

But seriously, is that it?

Comments

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    They should have used Sims 2's OFB to make this but they didn't, they just took the short cut which ruins gameplay and makes it tedious.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Also, I'd like to be able to own a bar or a cafe. Not just a store.
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    Agreed. I would like a complete overhaul of the retail system as well.

A lot of my complaints overlap with yours:
    • I want customers to line up at the register to check out.
    • I want shopping bags again.
    • I want employees to do their freakin' jobs.
    • I want customers to actually browse the store, not talk and dance with other customers.
    • I want new customers every day, not the same 5 over and over again.
    • I want to hire my friends or relatives to work in the store.
    • I want a home business
    • I want to serve food / drinks for profit.
    • I want a ticket booth
    • I want the barista / bartender / caterer I hire to make money for my store

yes, that one! The animations the sims in a retail shop use are the same as their daily activities and conversations. What big effort did they make to really make this a new EP with new additions to what the basegame already had? The only new thing i see what sims actually do is stocking and grabbing the ipad out of their pocket and stand there for 1/2 sims hour to close the deal (a bit too long to be honest, but ok). For the rest, they add some new options from the menu, but they all go without animations or without sims even moving a muscle.
    Its seriously dramatically lacking and plain.
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I'm going to be completely honest... I didn't like retail in TS2, despised how they did it in TS3, and I literally burned down my TS4 bakery so that kind of sums up how I feel about that! rofl

If they're going to do it, though, I do wish they had stuck to the basic model TS2 retail implemented (with improvements, of course).

I put a flat on top of my bakery so my retail lot was essentially my home lot (literally never went home) but it would have been nice to run the store from my actual home as well. I like the addition of retail lots, but why remove the option to have a home based business as well? Options, Maxis, options!

I didn't mind the tablet as an option to ring up, but the cash register should have been functional for that as well. (Options! Let us customize these things so that we can have a tech savvy modernized store or an old world boutique complete with ancient cash register). My medieval sim looks ridiculous ringing up her bakery goods with a tablet. -.-

The way the sale goes down with everyone just chatting it up feels lackluster. :(

I've never been a fan of siming retail, though, and TS4's take on it definitely hasn't swayed me in that regard. It was fun to explore a new system, and I would do it again if I got bored in my game, but the experience wasn't versatile enough to feel rewarding to me.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Yeah, GTW wasn't that great. I got bored with active careers, mainly because I couldn't ever find the perp in detective career, so I thought I'd give retail ago..naw...too messy to play.

I don't think i have looked at any GTW stuff since then. I do use the science objects, but that is about it.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    AnnabelleAnnabelle Posts: 248 Member
    edited December 2015
    In reference to hiring family members, the only solution that works for me is if you have the main Sim who owns the store at the lot, open the business, and then bring the other family member (in your active household) you wish to hire to the lot. It's not exactly ideal and they don't get the "Employee" title above their head but they can still ring up customers.

You can use your business reward points to purchase an option to ring up customers faster, clean, restock, but I didn't notice much difference in the speed, to be honest.
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    Annabelle wrote: »
    In reference to hiring family members, the only solution that works for me is if you have the main Sim who owns the store at the lot, open the business, and then bring the other family member (in your active household) you wish to hire to the lot. It's not exactly ideal and they don't get the "Employee" title above their head but they can still ring up customers.

You can use your business reward points to purchase an option to ring up customers faster, clean, restock, but I didn't notice much difference in the speed, to be honest.

i did that. i bring two members of my household to the store. one of them helps his friend out, but to not have the same options as staff members is really annoying. he cant wear the uniforms, uses the door if its locked to everyone but staff members etc.

• Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    I agree with everything that has been said on this thread but I think nothing disappoints me more than the "ring up customers" thing. I have never seen a real store using that method where I live, so a store that doesn't has a workable cash register just doesn't look like a store to me. I loved how sims in TS2 would line up at the cash register to pay and you could see them giving you money and even had a little bag with them, that really added to immersion. I can't stand the fact that EA made it look like the tablet system was this new and awesome feature when in truth (or at least imo) they did it because the tablet animations were already made and making sims line up at the register and make new animations for it was probably too hard and expensive so you know, gotta cut corners everywhere.

The videos from retail that I've seen are so confusing because it doesn't look like stores at all, it just looks like some sort of event where everyone is chatting among themselves. Even when they buy things, all you do is chat chat chat.

The fact that there aren't fitting rooms anymore is also so disappointing. It makes no sense to me to see sims trying out outfits in the middle of the shop. I loved having my sims go to the fitting room and come out with a different outfit and then look at the mirror. Again, it was not only fun but added to immersion. To me, it's all about the little details, and like always, TS4 falls short.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Sadly, it's not as good as it could have been. I don't mind running Frank's bakery, but most of the other stores have been turned in to NPC stores now. What I don't like is that I don't see my sim that owns it there running it when I send other sims.

It could have been more fun to go shopping at them too, but as is, it is not a "fun" experience. "Buy" is basically the only option. It would have been more fun if they had options to say something like "such and such store is having a mega sale on today! Head down for great savings!"

I like going to my stores for immersion purposes but they sure could have been made more fun.

On top of that, Magnolia Promenade was just a real dud in terms of having a businessy/shopping kind of feel to it.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    They have taken one of the best Sims EPs (OFB) and turned it to one of the worst experiences. No exaggeration at all. This is how I feel about the retail in TS4. I had one family only owning a retail but even that I destroyed and replaced it with a community lot.

GTW is a useless EP in my game. Has no significance and zero replay value. I would even value the stuff packs more than it.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    They have taken one of the best Sims EPs (OFB) and turned it to one of the worst experiences. No exaggeration at all. This is how I feel about the retail in TS4. I had one family only owning a retail but even that I destroyed and replaced it with a community lot.

GTW is a useless EP in my game. Has no significance and zero replay value. I would even value the stuff packs more than it.
    I would have to agree, the tasks are very repetitious and a drag after the first few times.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    It's totally pathetic. Enough said.
  • Options
    BleubellBleubell Posts: 457 Member
    WHY oh WHY didn't they try to make this expansion better than the one that they made in 2006? Honestly, it's completely ridiculous. At this point, they should have the technology and time to come out with dang shopping malls if they had the motivation to go all the way up to creating the fourth generation of the Sims.
    tumblr: brooklynsims / cc finds blog: brooklynsimscc
    thank you thread
  • Options
    EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member

I feel the same way. Basically, I only use the CAS items :/ what a shame...

Sometimes I just have to ignore that GTW exist, only in that way I can play... (Besides OFB aspect, there is no sense to me that my sick sims can't go to the hospital p.e). Meh
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    I'm simply flabbergasted you can't have a home business.

It's such a shame Maxis is just leaving GTW to rot, the retail functionality could really use some work
  • Options
    jsnjsn Posts: 624 Member
    SimsFur wrote: »
    Why cant i add household members to the staff?

I agree with most of what you said, but for this part, technically the entire household owns the store and so they all can work in it by default. Idk about kids though; probably just teens and up.
    tumblr_ntxblj8QDK1s6z4zdo2_250.gif
  • Options
    rrc1979rrc1979 Posts: 31 Member
    I've been debating whether to bother with this EP. Are there any good things about it? I loved both OFB and Ambitions but it seems like GTW has only the bad sides of those two. I'm certainly not finding anything at all to interest me from everything that's been said!
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    rrc1979 wrote: »
    I've been debating whether to bother with this EP. Are there any good things about it? I loved both OFB and Ambitions but it seems like GTW has only the bad sides of those two. I'm certainly not finding anything at all to interest me from everything that's been said!

If you're wanting an EP, get the newest one get together. It's so much better than GTW.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    jsn wrote: »
    SimsFur wrote: »
    Why cant i add household members to the staff?

I agree with most of what you said, but for this part, technically the entire household owns the store and so they all can work in it by default. Idk about kids though; probably just teens and up.

I actually think this is a bit of a problem with the game. I'm not sure how complicated it would be, but I would prefer to have the ability to decide how a household is set up. Not just how they're related but how the hh itself is arranged. So, if I've got 2 roommates and one of them is a single mom, I can set up the hh so these entities are separate. My single mom and her kid would have one set of finances, the other single would have their own set of finances. Likewise with businesses. I'd like to be able to determine who owns the business. Is it the wife? The husband? The couple? I don't think it should automatically default to belonging to the whole hh.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    I had been leaning that way, honestly. I just hoped that GTW had some redeeming qualities because its the one on sale around here. Lol!
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    rrc1979 wrote: »

I'm enjoying it but I haven't played through any whole career yet so if I had to do it more than once, it might be an issue. But since I play for stories instead of completion, I usually handle sims differently anyway--one might be an overachiever and do everything, while the other is a total slacker and may never get a promotion.

I haven't touched much of the retail side, either. It seems like it's both complex in the sense you can put up anything for sale, price things yourself, and you have to track inventory, restock, etc., but that it's also a bit lacking in areas (i.e., the discussion about hiring your own family members) like the cash register not functioning for sales (it's for store management), people not actually buying anything (they act like it but it doesn't get added to their inventory), no one lines up at the register, you have way to many returning customers, and so forth.

I like it for storytelling because I have a couple of stories where the sims have a retail store. Not sure I would get it specifically for gameplay if I didn't tell stories.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I agree, everything takes too long. If they want to improve on the retail business, it needs to take less time to do the store actions so there is more time to do other things.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    I have GTW mainly for the chance to run my own store, like a bakery, or have an in-game shopping mall for my sims. The way that the system is poorly set up. And everything takes sooooo long. And my employees don't do anything, even though the game recognizes them as working.

I was looking forward to the bakery aspect and maybe even having a friendly neighborhood grocery store, but it was a pretty big disappointment. I feel ya on that one, OP. The clothing store part is kinda okay, but... it still drives me crazy.

And besides, I wanted to have my sims live above their store. What?! Don't even get me started on Magnolia Promenade! Well, there's not much world for me to get started on....

My opinion? Don't get the EP unless its on sale. The only things I use in it are the CAS items.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Options
    Thank you, ebuchala. I appreciate the insight. Usually I would be out buying every EP, SP etc... that gets released, but I'm just not as blown away by TS4 as I was with the others. I don't *hate* it but I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not. I'm firmly on the fence until something wows me.