Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Retail shop is pretty disappointing

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Hagfisher wrote: »
    I have GTW mainly for the chance to run my own store, like a bakery, or have an in-game shopping mall for my sims. The way that the system is poorly set up. And everything takes sooooo long. And my employees don't do anything, even though the game recognizes them as working.

I was looking forward to the bakery aspect and maybe even having a friendly neighborhood grocery store, but it was a pretty big disappointment. I feel ya on that one, OP. The clothing store part is kinda okay, but... it still drives me crazy.

And besides, I wanted to have my sims live above their store. What?! Don't even get me started on Magnolia Promenade! Well, there's not much world for me to get started on....

My opinion? Don't get the EP unless its on sale. The only things I use in it are the CAS items.

Oh, I so wanted this. I actually set up a building before GTW was even announced with an antique shop on the ground floor, the owner's apartment behind it and a separate apartment he rented out to another guy upstairs. I so want them to make multi-use lots so we can set up living space on the same lot as retail, I don't care how they designate it (home based business or multi-use lots). Though I would also love a system in place for landlords and rentals, even more so if they can set it up so my rent from the renter gets taken out and the same amount gets added to the landlord's, though I suppose that's a bit complicated for a game like this.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    I also dont understand the logic of why certain items are not for sale. I use items from the same catagory, CC or not, but some are able to sell while others arent.

The lack of animations and sims 'acting' like they do something is like i said earlier just pathetic! Adding a few options on a sim o cassiere and call them this and that, doesn make them activities. They are so meaningless and i found this in almost everything in ts4. I dont have hope for the future, caue the base of this game is ment to be like this.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    rrc1979 wrote: »
    I've been debating whether to bother with this EP. Are there any good things about it? I loved both OFB and Ambitions but it seems like GTW has only the bad sides of those two. I'm certainly not finding anything at all to interest me from everything that's been said!

If you're wanting an EP, get the newest one get together. It's so much better than GTW.

I would say the same thing too. If you want to buy an EP Get Together is a much better EP and has much more replay value. If you did not like the game play of Get Together (which I love a lot) the least you would get a big nice world and excellent CAS items.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited December 2015
    As I said above, I found the gameplay in GTW a bit meh, I do like the CAS items in GTW and there are some pretty cool build objects, especially the science stuff. Also being able to dress and use mannequins is pretty cool (I think that is GTW and not a patch?).

Gameplay wise, GT is much, much better.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    It's a sims 4 quality expansion pack. With such a mediocre base game what can we really expect from expansion packs?

Thank God I didn't waste my own money on GTW and they gave it to me as a gift. Honestly the only reason why I even got it was to get normal careers back, cause the base game careers are ridiculous. I already knew thee retail system would blow , but not as bad as it did.

In ts2 sims could build stuff, do flower arrengments and make toys . In ts4 you just drag objects out of build mode and put a price tag on it.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I've been debating whether to bother with this EP. Are there any good things about it? I loved both OFB and Ambitions but it seems like GTW has only the bad sides of those two. I'm certainly not finding anything at all to interest me from everything that's been said!

I'm going to be a dissenting voice here. I LIKE the active careers in GTW. At least, the police and science careers. Those are the ones I've played so far. (Is there a third?) I thought the police career was cool with the clue gathering, going to the crime scene, taking mug shots, etc. And I was able to catch my first perp by collecting enough clues to get a good description. I really like the science career. I think the lab lot is neat. It's unique and there are things to discover.

I haven't tried retail yet so I can't speak to that one.
  • Options
    snurfles wrote: »

I'm going to be a dissenting voice here. I LIKE the active careers in GTW. At least, the police and science careers. Those are the ones I've played so far. (Is there a third?) I thought the police career was cool with the clue gathering, going to the crime scene, taking mug shots, etc. And I was able to catch my first perp by collecting enough clues to get a good description. I really like the science career. I think the lab lot is neat. It's unique and there are things to discover.

There's also the medical career. I actually also like the careers in GTW but not that they are active cause I usually never play a single sim so I have to leave a sim alone, and with ts4 system leaving a sim alone means that all their needs will be maxed out even if it's 3am and they will be wide awake outside your house.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

There's also the medical career. I actually also like the careers in GTW but not that they are active cause I usually never play a single sim so I have to leave a sim alone, and with ts4 system leaving a sim alone means that all their needs will be maxed out even if it's 3am and they will be wide awake outside your house.

Good point. I noticed that the other day. Yay for loading screens. *insert sarcasm font* Hopefully that is something they can and will change in the future but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Orchid13 wrote: »

Good point. I noticed that the other day. Yay for loading screens. *insert sarcasm font* Hopefully that is something they can and will change in the future but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah specially for rotational players . I can't even tell you how many times I've gone into a household and my sims are just standing outside at like 5am.

It's ridiculous and it doesn't work well with active careers, if they did it wouldn't be such a problem to switch back and forth between different household members. That's why many simmers picked the retail system , but it doesn't work as a home business thing so it really kind of kills the gameplay.

I was one of those simmers that actually though we could live at our retail place, imagine my disappointment when I found out we couldn't :/

The other thing that blows is that if you do have a retail store owned by one of your sims , but you decide to play with another sim you can't ever see the retail store owner.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Oh wow so alot of people are not happy with GTW's open for business. I kinda thought so. I feel like they will correct it with a game pack - a service business type of pack that helps us create businesses we don't have. They could create a new counter register that actually has our animations we were expecting... and it would be compatible with GTW. They could go as far as re-coding the register objects that came in GTW. It can be fixed. If it's they're gonna bother or not. I feel they will.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I agree with everything that has been said on this thread but I think nothing disappoints me more than the "ring up customers" thing.
    I'm liking the potential of Retail so far (just started today) but this already struck me as annoying, mainly because there are no lines and no cashiers, so when customers pop up as ready to buy, it's like this stressful game of "see if we can ring them up in time," which is NOTHING like a real store. And I would know because I've been in and out of grocery stores in my life more times than I even want to begin to count.

In fact, in all my life, I can't think of a single time I've seen a customer huffily move their cart out of the line they're in and leave the store because it's taking too long. The one time I saw something similar to it was because a mother needed to pick up her kids. That's literally the only time I've seen anything like it.

I also think ringing up takes far too long and if it's going to be long at all, it should be proportionate to the cost of the item that the sim is buying. Buying one item does not take a century and a half to ring up.

If they fixed that one little thing (the ringing up process and its design), I think I could get a heck of a lot more fun out of running a shop.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Just want to say I agreed with most of the things said here. The most annoying problem for me is customers spend way too much time thinking about what they are buying even when they are just buying a $20 apple. Then they spend the same amount of time thinking about buying a 2000$ painting .

I have a suspicion that it is lazy implementation of customer behaviour.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member

I agreed that the active careers (at least the detective one ) was fun at first for like 2 hours . Then everything became so repetitive !
  • Options
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Just want to say I agreed with most of the things said here. The most annoying problem for me is customers spend way too much time thinking about what they are buying even when they are just buying a $20 apple. Then they spend the same amount of time thinking about buying a 2000$ painting .

this!
  • Options
    jimbbq wrote: »

this!
  • Options
    ndbethndbeth Posts: 61 Member
    Running the retail shop is absolutely maddening. I have to lock my employees out of everywhere in the shop that isn't the shop floor and the register, and to top that off, they <i>still</i> manage to do absolutely nothing! I've found it's easier to run the shop with a single household full of adults and/or teenagers because at least you can control what your workers do! Not to mention, the store gets really messy and busy way too fast. They need to implement a more natural flow of customers - a mob isn't going to bust through the door first thing in the morning, and it isn't going to be dead-empty for the last three hours every single day. As well as the customers lining up at the register - did EA just use the programming of animals in the wild as programming for customers?
    i'd like it a lot, more than you'd think, if the sun would come out and sing with me.
    260wkkm.gif
    so curse everyone and everything, even the sun.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Agreed. I would like a complete overhaul of the retail system as well.

A lot of my complaints overlap with yours:
    • I want customers to line up at the register to check out.
    • I want shopping bags again.
    • I want employees to do their freakin' jobs.
    • I want customers to actually browse the store, not talk and dance with other customers.
    • I want new customers every day, not the same 5 over and over again.
    • I want to hire my friends or relatives to work in the store.
    • I want a home business
    • I want to serve food / drinks for profit.
    • I want a ticket booth
    • I want the barista / bartender / caterer I hire to make money for my store

YAS gurl! Me too!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    thesimsserbiathesimsserbia Posts: 510 Member
    [quote="SimsFur;867736"]Last week i opened for the first time my own retail shop. I opened a toy store and although it is fun, cause of what it is. But this game.. god, it is so lacking. I have found that even in the retail business its very limited and boring.

I knew the general complaints about having less option than ts2 open for business; how the cash register isnt even used by customers to pay at, that customers dont stand in line anymore, no shopping backs etc.

I cant think of anything else than some pointless social interactions with your customers that seem all the same and have no meaning, customers standing randomly in the store waiting to pay for their stuff, no pre-set opening/closing times/working days, the weird way of selling a product that doesnt make any sense. The blue bar above their head? When its practically empty they still buy products as fast as when its full.
    Customers who are not getting help, just storm out, but thats it. There is no window popping up about what they are saying/thinking of the store. They also always come back after a few sim hours to start all over again with the buyin process.
    I have the same customers every day! Customers are not even restricted to the theme of the store. I have more single sims that buy children toys, than actual kids or parents with kids. Its such an empty addition.
    Also why cant you hire sims from the social menu? Why cant i add household members to the staff? Why cant i make uniforms for the store manager or household members? If you are not hired as staff, you dont get to wear uniforms? And the door locking options are also not helping when you have to choose between household members of staff.. why not both?

I only like the new addition to transfer money from your household to the store, so you wont spend more than you should and you can have a good look at what your finances are.

But seriously, is that it?
    [/quote]

Bravo i like what you writhe
  • Options
    ShaneyBoyShaneyBoy Posts: 2,134 Member
    My jaw dropped when I realised that they didn't queue at the cash register to pay for their items. C'mon, that's basic. Open for Business was my favourite EP in TS2 so I was very disappointed too. I wish they didn't combine two EPs like they did, bad idea in my opinion.
  • Options
    totalRainbowtotalRainbow Posts: 425 Member
    edited May 2016
    Hi, everyone! I'vebeen reading complaints about owning a retail shop over and over, and have even had some own exhausting experiences myself! After doing a little research, I found a "Less Employee Slacking" mod as well as "Customers Wait Forever" mod. They're from MTS by cyberops.

I have not play tested these mods yet, but feel free to download them and try for yourself. Perhaps they will increase your satisfaction with this aspect of the EP. Happy simming! :)
    # BuildNewcrest Legacy Challenge : Rosenburg
    Forum Thread | Blog