Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

'Sims is a girly, barbie doll game,right?' SAY WHAT?

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited August 2013
    Erpe wrote:
    The problem is that the world changes but people's idea about it changes much slower.

Until about 50 years ago it was a full time job to be a housewife and only very few women had other jobs. The reason was especially that we didn't have machines that could make finished clothes. So we had to make nearly everything ourselves and repair it instead of buying new all the time. (If we would buy finished clothes anyway we had to be rich enough to pay somebody to make it with their hands which would cost as much as women could earn by having work outside their homes.)

This changed about 50 years ago because new artificial materials for clothes were invented and those materials allowed machines much easier to make finished clothes and therefore women got the time to take jobs outside their homes. But even so we still think of housewife things as things for girls/women and things related to jobs, military and sports as things for boys/men.

Actually ready to wear came about much earlier than that. All you have to do is look at things like the tragic Triangle Factory Fire in 1911. Almost 150 employees lost their lives in a women's shirtwaist factory. That was only one of many factories that was in New York and there were many others scattered over the north east. There were a lot of places like that during the early part of the 1900's.

More and more women went to work outside the home but the largest influx of women entering the workforce was during WWII. Women had to replace the men who had gone off to fight. About 12 million women went to work doing everything from farm work, office work to handling a rivet gun to get those planes planes flying and ships sailing.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    angiebabe1859angiebabe1859 Posts: 199 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Unlike the "boy" games, there is no war, no battle, no weapon, no blood, no sex, ...

The Sims is a game where you do "girl" things like cooking, doing laundry, clothing, socializing, getting children, marrying ...

Sexism is still ruling the world.

EXACTLY my thoughts! The reason for the sims being a 'girl' game is sexism. Period. It's because in general, society still expects females to spend their lives cooking, cleaning, ironing shirts, changing diapers, etc... The Sims apparently resembles doll houses, doll houses resemble household-confined living and raising families, and sadly, that resembles women. Over the years, the world has progressed with civil rights and equality, but unfortunately, there is still a lot more to be done.

What those people don't realize is that the creator of this game IS A MALE. And the entire community of players consists of both men and women. As well as the game's developers. The ignorance is laughable.
  • Options
    EverettEverett Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited August 2013
    Video games shouldn't be gender defined. It's a shame and unfortunate they are.
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited August 2013
    I can't wait for Batman Origin to come out October 25th.
    Me too! :D

I saw the trailer last night it looks awesome and it comes out 3 days after sims 3 into the future. :D

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like it;

I mean...
    MARK HAMIL DOESN'T VOICE THE JOKER!

That right there just ruins the game for me altogether, but, I've been wanting Dead-Shot and Black Mask to appear for a long time now, so I have to push Mark's amazing voice beside and get the game! XD
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited August 2013
    Anyway,
    On the actual topic; I don't mind it being called a 'Girls' game. It's sexist and ignorant of course, but, when I tell my friends about it they 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off-- but, of course I push it aside because I like the series.

It doesn't really bother me, because if someone called me a 'Girly Gamer' because I play The Sims I'd prepare a huge speech on how I'm an avid fan of; TES, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout, Batman, Mortal Kombat, Battlefield, GTA, Saints Row, RDR, Dead Rising, Dead Island, ARMA, L4D, Team Fortress, and Many Others!

Oh, and The Witcher-- it doesn't get any more manlier then The Witcher! :lol:

So, I frankly don't care. I just brush it off and move along with my life, I even 🐸🐸🐸🐸 my friends back since one of them is a so-called 'Brony' so he can;t say crap about me playing a supposedly Girly Game. :roll:
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited August 2013
    Unlike the "boy" games, there is no war, no battle, no weapon, no blood, no sex, ...

The Sims is a game where you do "girl" things like cooking, doing laundry, clothing, socializing, getting children, marrying ...

Sexism is still ruling the world.

EXACTLY my thoughts! The reason for the sims being a 'girl' game is sexism. Period. It's because in general, society still expects females to spend their lives cooking, cleaning, ironing shirts, changing diapers, etc... The Sims apparently resembles doll houses, doll houses resemble household-confined living and raising families, and sadly, that resembles women. Over the years, the world has progressed with civil rights and equality, but unfortunately, there is still a lot more to be done.

Yep! I just knew some stupid, ignorant feminist would post in this thread eventually. :thumbup:

By that very same logic, I proclaim that telling a woman to get back in the kitchen is actually sexism against men because it implies men are no good at kitchen stuff.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,347 Member
    edited August 2013
    Actually ready to wear came about much earlier than that. All you have to do is look at things like the tragic Triangle Factory Fire in 1911. Almost 150 employees lost their lives in a women's shirtwaist factory. That was only one of many factories that was in New York and there were many others scattered over the north east. There were a lot of places like that during the early part of the 1900's.

More and more women went to work outside the home but the largest influx of women entering the workforce was during WWII. Women had to replace the men who had gone off to fight. About 12 million women went to work doing everything from farm work, office work to handling a rivet gun to get those planes planes flying and ships sailing.

Today in France, the most of women still maintain the "good wife role", the most of sons don't know cooking, doing housework, ...

The wifes keep on taking care of the children when their husbands bring the money...

When you look at the TV commercial, it's still the women who do laundry, clean everything and the other "woman" tasks.

Yes, we see very rarely some guy (the most are gay O_o ) doing those tasks in TV commercials.
    It encourages this message : "woman tasks + guy = gay so if your boyfriend is doing the housework, you should worry..."

• Options
    edited August 2013

Today in France, the most of women still maintain the "good wife role", the most of sons don't know cooking, doing housework, ...

The wifes keep on taking care of the children when their husbands bring the money...

When you look at the TV commercial, it's still the women who do laundry, clean everything and the other "woman" tasks.

Yes, we see very rarely some guy (the most are gay O_o ) doing those tasks in TV commercials.

So isn't the role of "bringing home the money" just as "sexist" as the "good wife" role, seeing as it's a role assigned based on gender, just like the "good wife" one?
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,347 Member
    edited August 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    So isn't the role of "bringing home the money" just as "sexist" as the "good wife" role, seeing as it's a role assigned based on gender, just like the "good wife" one?

The "good husband" role is :

- Repair the broken things
    - Assemble the IKEA furnitures
    - Take care of the car
    - Take care of the electronics (TV, computer, ...)
    - Take care of the plumbing
    - Work and bring money
    - Barbecue

It seems the men are forced to love the DIY...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Zerbu wrote:

- Take care of the car
    - Work and bring money
    - Barbecue

And yet, I rarely ever hear feminists even pay lip service to male roles. It's always: Teh menz are all part of an evil organization known as the patriarchy designed to enslave all women for the benefit of all men.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,117 Member
    edited August 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:

- Take care of the car
    - Work and bring money
    - Barbecue

And yet, I rarely ever hear feminists even pay lip service to male roles. It's always: Teh menz are all part of an evil organization known as the patriarchy designed to enslave all women for the benefit of all men.

Please don't make accusations like that. Not all feminists feel that way. Even if you're kidding, it's not the best thing to joke about...
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Please don't make accusations like that. Not all feminists feel that way. Even if you're kidding, it's not the best thing to joke about...

The feminists who do feel that way are the loudest, most active and have about 99% of the power in the feminist movement. Even the ones who do allegedly believe in true equality will still try to paint everything as "men perpetrators, women victims". This thread is an example. If someone says that a certain video game like GTA is for men/boys then they're a patriarchal, misogynistic oppressor. If someone says that a certain video game like The Sims is for women/girls, guess what? They're still a patriarchal, misogynistic oppressor and women are still the victims!

There are people who believe in true equality and have logic, but they don't call themselves "feminists".
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Zerbu wrote:

The feminists who do feel that way are the loudest, most active and have about 99% of the power in the feminist movement. Even the ones who do allegedly believe in true equality will still try to paint everything as "men perpetrators, women victims". This thread is an example. If someone says that a certain video game like GTA is for men/boys then they're a patriarchal, misogynistic oppressor. If someone says that a certain video game like The Sims is for women/girls, guess what? They're still a patriarchal, misogynistic oppressor and women are still the victims!

There are people who believe in true equality and have logic, but they don't call themselves "feminists".

I call myself a feminist but I certainly don't hate men.

While there might be certain gendered perceptions in society, the boundaries are blurring a lot these days, so it's less of an issue than it used to be. There's a time when I would have said that watching team sports like football (soccer to those outside the UK) was a male-dominated occupation, but I know quite a few women who enjoy it and it's just normal now.

In terms of this thread, I like that anyone regardless of age and gender can play sims if they want to and I don't think men should be judged for it. Nor should women, either. Of course it's technically virtual dollshouses, but I don't see that as a problem. My 60 year old mother has recently fulfilled a lifelong ambition to buy a an actual dollshouse which she wants to decorate in her spare time - she gets my dad to go shopping with her to buy things for it and he's helping with the painting and other stuff too.

I played the original GTA some years ago, and lots of other "boy" games too. I still play non "girly" games on a regular basis. :) I won't claim to be especially "feminine" but I think the definition of femininity has changed a lot. I don't think the only way to be a true woman is to wear pink and frilly skirts and talk about make up all the time! If it is, I'm doomed...
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited August 2013
    There is nothing wrong with "girly." Yeah, I'm a man who plays a "girly" game, oh well. BTW, I think they catered to the male player a lot more in TS3 than they did TS2. I also listen to some "girly" music and I'm unapologetic about those things.

I think the misogynist claim that TS3 is teaching women their place some of you are making is nonsense. You can play anyway you want in this game which includes a woman with a total cabana boy servant boyfriend or husband if you like. If you're placing your sims in what some would consider traditional gender roles in the game its because you wanted to. There is like no other excuse.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Vlaxitov wrote:
    If you're placing your sims in what some would consider traditional gender roles in the game its because you wanted to. There is like no other excuse.

Agreed. I do on occasion do the traditional role of the stay at home mother who looks after the kids and does the cooking, cleaning and caring for babies and toddlers if I'm playing a theme that warrants it, or if the mother has a self-employed career like writer, but most of the time I have a couple where both partners work and the household tasks are shared at random depending on who is free at the time. I haven't really done stay at home dads that often, though it does happen on occasion if the mum wants a career and the dad wants to be self-employed.

A lot of the time my sims of both sexes wash up their own dishes by default (including when I don't want them to!) and I'll assign either gender to repair a broken sink if I don't want to pay the handyman. The same with teaching toddlers to walk and talk - it's often the father who does those jobs

My current family is Triton King who is a self-employed diver and his wife doesn't have a job, so they just do whatever I or free will tells them to! There's no real gender bias in their household at the moment.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm OK with calling it a "girly" game. I'm a woman. My inner feminist is more the "bring home the bacon, cook it up in a pan" kind of feminist. I can have a career and still enjoy "girly" things.
  • Options
    Taffster74Taffster74 Posts: 530 Member
    edited August 2013
    Surprisingly, none of my friends have called the sims a "girly" game. About the only one who does (rarely) rib me about playing it calls Sims a "nerd" game and calls me a nerd. Funny thing is - he plays more computer and console games than I do and is an absolute frekkie. And I'm the nerd? Even his Fiancee calls him a nerd.

Honestly though, I see the Sims as a microcosm of Sim City. Its a building game, a life game and definitely has elements of strategy to it (life strategy) if you are going to play it seriously. so if you want to call it anything, call the sims a nerd game and we're all nerds for playing it.
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm a girl. That's offensive!

I was talking to my friend about this game. She's heard of it, but never played it. I don't know why I bother trying to explain this game to people, they just don't understand... lol

No really, why do every person I talk to about this game says it's a barbie doll dress up game? The nerve! That's offensive to girls, and barbies, and Sims and cheeseburgers everywhere!

Sorry I am feeling random right now.

Tell your friend to go to youtube.com and watch Sims3loser,Ipod Zeke and Iron Seagull's lets plays of the sims 3 and she'll change her mind hopefully. They're guys and they do great awesome lets plays. All 3 of them are my favorites.

Well, if their homosexuals it won't really prove her point. I mean IpodZeke, never heard of the others but I'm certain he is.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited August 2013

It encourages this message : "woman tasks + guy = gay so if your boyfriend is doing the housework, you should worry..."

No concerns in my house then. :?
  • Options
    wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't call it Barbie, girly thing as the Sims is based on Simulation where as Barbie is a physical plastic doll.Aided by humans Barbie is used with imagery play;Sims is an AI machine where problems, Artificial intelligence adds suspense like lightning strike, oven catches fire or the Tv breaks down. If left to their own devices the Sims will make there own friends,have fights, lead adventurous life.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited August 2013
    People I know used to call this a girly game.

Then they saw me playing it.

Now, they comment this game can involve more evil than Silent Hill.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited August 2013
    The idea behind the Sims 1 was to make a virtual dollhouse. But the sims in that game were so ugly that I don't believe that anybody would compare them to Barbie and Ken :lol:
  • Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited August 2013
    I could care less if people think the game is girly or not, so long as nobody goes and tries to pull that "I'D KICK YOUR *** IN CALL OF DUTY" crap. If I heard that irl I'd punch somebody in the face :s
  • Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited August 2013
    No really, why do every person I talk to about this game says it's a barbie doll dress up game? The nerve! That's offensive to girls, and barbies, and Sims and cheeseburgers everywhere!

AMEN! :evil:

Sims is AWESOME, anyone who says differently can go choke on one of Polly Pocket's rubber shoes! Hmph! :x
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited August 2013
    People I know used to call this a girly game.

Then they saw me playing it.

Now, they comment this game can involve more evil than Silent Hill.

LOLLLLL! :lol::lol: