Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited April 2023
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I thought it wasn't allowed to mention other Simulation games by title or Company that wasn't EA or the Sims?

This is a Project Rene and LBY thread where we talk about the new LBY in the context of EA’s next gen sims game. Like the counterpart thread about Paralives, it resides in the Project Rene forum.

Prior to the announcement of Project Rene, discussions of other games like Paralives as well as Sims 5 were in the off-topic forum.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I'm going to put it out there that I play and enjoy both sims 2 and sims 4. Sims 4 has it's faults yes, but for the most part I am still entertained playing it. Sims 2 is my favorite sims version, and sims 1 makin magic is still my favorite expansion pack. Just thought I would give you all a small inside as to where I am coming from.

Life By You to me after seeing all the trailers and information thus far seems like it would a dream come true for those who want to create worlds, build buildings, and mod to your hearts content. For me though I want a people simulator, and the people (not talking about graphics) don't seem to have much life to them. The conversations are going to be limited, telling me that I have to add more to the conversation trees myself just makes me think it will be very limited on social interactions and the ones it does have really get boring because they repeat constantly.

For me sims is also very much a story maker, and while Life By You talks about how you can make your own stories it doesn't actually show that. Customization is great, however, that to me doesn't necessairly make a game story friendly. I am also someone who likes families which Life By You hasn't even discussed it other then they will only have adult people in the early release.

Life By You seems to be really really really focused on the open world and spending hours changing that world. Some people love that and that's fine. I only get two or three hours a night of me time, and to me that's not game play, that's just making it so I can't play the people part. Also open world as it worked in sims 3 had so many issues that were caused by the open world part. I remember having to chase down townies who got stuck and having to reset them, if I didn't it would cause lag in the game. I remember getting fired from jobs because a townie/townies would be at the door of the job and my sim couldn't get to into the building. I remember not being able to do certain jobs because buildings closed at certain times and I wanted to do more then just work and stay home. Sims 3 open world also made it really difficult for to be a rotating player, and to play out those types of stories.

Finally Rod Humble said more then once during sims 3 how much he dislikes supernatural, he was very hesitite on adding any to sims 3. It's why they ended up in one expansion pack, and that of course caused them not to be all that fleshed out. Most likely there will be zero whimsy, supernatural and so forth in Life By You. I enjoy more of a parady of people simulator then 100% realistic people simulator. Sims tends to go more of the parody part, Life By You seems to be going more towards the 100% realistic part.

Now of course if you like the looks of Life By You that's fine, just like it's fine that so far I haven't seen anything that makes me excited to play the people.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,449 Member
    edited April 2023
    I would ask : Why The Sims franchise is less popular than Minecraft ?
    Minecraft, Roblox and Fortnite are multiplayer games but I can't believe that is the only reason of their success.

Life by You and Paralives will probably help us to understand what is missing in the Maxis' life simulation.

Well I think part of the appeal for Minecraft and Fortnight is the fact they have combat in them and they're also not Life Simulation games. Not sure that Roblox could even be considered that either (never played it) so it's a little hard for me personally to compare these games with The Sims.

Even Barbie and Lego do better than The Sims franchise.
    In 2022, Mattel's Barbie brand generated gross sales amounting to about 1.49 billion U.S. dollars.
    LEGO revenues grew 17% in 2022 to $9.28 billion.

These "Life Simulation" games forget to make the players dream and these universes set too many restrictions to the imagination.
    There are plenty of stories that can't be told.

Minecraft

maxres40.jpg
    43y82c10.jpg
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,282 Member
    The Life by You sims remind me of Thunderbirds robots, and Runescape characters. It also seems to include the babyish gameplay of Sims 4, and the plastic houses.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    I caved. I preordered...

I know it's almost never, ever a good idea to put money on a game before it's even out. But I won't lie about the not-so-insignificant component of spite involved in my decision. There's an unacceptable level of bugs and glitches in The Sims 4. And the game does not appear to be made by folks who have a passion for detail, especially of late.

The Sims 4 is in hospice care, and I won't be attending the funeral.

Just to level set expectations. You paid for Early Access, meaning it won't be the full game. Which means there will invariably be tons of bugs and lots of play that is not yet in the game, but will be available when the game releases about September 2024. (since you pre-ordered Early Access you will get the full game on release).

Just don't want you to be surprised if you run into a ton of bugs in LbY, because it will be an incomplete product.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,449 Member
    edited April 2023
    @troshalom wrote: »
    You paid for Early Access, meaning it won't be the full game. Which means there will invariably be tons of bugs and lots of play that is not yet in the game

That reminds me TS4, I mean a partial game with tons of bugs ... EA means Early Access ???
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member
    You paid for Early Access, meaning it won't be the full game. Which means there will invariably be tons of bugs and lots of play that is not yet in the game

That reminds me TS4, I mean a partial game with tons of bugs ... EA means Early Access ???

So true lol. :p
  • Options
    troshalom wrote: »
    I caved. I preordered...

I know it's almost never, ever a good idea to put money on a game before it's even out. But I won't lie about the not-so-insignificant component of spite involved in my decision. There's an unacceptable level of bugs and glitches in The Sims 4. And the game does not appear to be made by folks who have a passion for detail, especially of late.

Just to level set expectations. You paid for Early Access, meaning it won't be the full game. Which means there will invariably be tons of bugs and lots of play that is not yet in the game, but will be available when the game releases about September 2024. (since you pre-ordered Early Access you will get the full game on release).

Just don't want you to be surprised if you run into a ton of bugs in LbY, because it will be an incomplete product.

Thanks for correcting. I'm excited about Early Access. I want to participate in the feedback process.

Looking forward to the Discord invite! :D
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Or Expectations, Abolished
    023cxpaqco4i.png

In all seriousness, the bug issue is not okay. I find it unacceptable that Carl's Sims 4 Guide has to teach himself modding so that he can release a fix for Sims 4 Dine Out. Is this what EA means in the recent earnings call about "more collaborative ways to further empower our community to unleash their imagination"?

I acknowledge and am thankful that the Sims Team regularly releases patches with bug fitches and documentation. But the dam is breaking faster than it can be patched up...it has been for a while
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
  • Options
    I caved. I preordered...

Thanks for correcting. I'm excited about Early Access. I want to participate in the feedback process.

I preordered as well. Not familiar with Discord. This something I need to download?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,361 Member
    You can download Discord here.

https://discord.com/download

I've joined several Sims discords but I much prefer the forum approach. Just seems more organized and user friendly. Discord is a bit chaotic for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I caved. I preordered...

I preordered as well. Not familiar with Discord. This something I need to download?

It's a messaging social platform widely used in the gaming industry. Discord has mobile/PC/Mac apps but you can also just use your browser.

You'll need to register for an account here: https://discord.com/register

Once you create an account, you are able to join specific servers (communities) through invites. For example, this is a Discord server for The Sims https://discord.com/invite/thesims

Servers are organized into different channels for specific topics. A parallel in the forum world is that we are currently posting in the Project Rene forum (channel) within the official Sims Forum (server).

Paradox said they will be creating a Discord server and inviting people who bought early access closer to the release date later this year.
  • Options
    I downloaded the Discord server.

Like @simgirl1010 I much prefer the forum format.

As far as apps go, not an "app person" as I'm still using a flip phone. :#

@simmerorigin Thanx for your help. I have Discord now in case it's necessary during LBY early access. Am excited and looking forward to being a part of the development of LBY. Can hardly wait! B)
  • Options
    Two things I really like about Discord is the ability to follow specific discussions and get notifications of new posts and tags when you're not on the site and you can hide discussion channels you're not interested in.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,045 Member
    My theory is that the supernatural/whimsy will come as DLC. I think they are focusing on building a firm foundation first.

Good for them! Firm foundations are crucial. Proven by the lack of one in TS4.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,199 Member
    Well in that case, I believe Life By You will win.
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Well in that case, I believe Life By You will win.

I love your cats
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,199 Member
    Thank you, they are actually my Grandkitty cats. My Daughter is their Fur Momma & I'm their Fur Granny. <3<3;)
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Who's going to need a new computer? :D

SZRcPNW.png
  • Options
    Mine has the recommended specs. I just got a gaming computer in 2020. I may upgrade the RAM from 16 to 32 though. Waiting to see how my machine performs.
  • Options
    I wonder if there'll be any beginning lore in LBY. I've never been a big fan of the premades in the Sims but I know it's important to a lot of players.
  • Options
    I wonder if there'll be any beginning lore in LBY. I've never been a big fan of the premades in the Sims but I know it's important to a lot of players.

I'm fine either way. I do like the premades. Rarely, I may get rid of one that gets on my nerves. :#
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,437 Member
    It's funny, cause I was looking for a new PC weeks before this game was announced because the one I am currently using is not fast enough for what I do on a daily basis.

I work from home and have literally moved in with my parents 4x in the last 4-5 years (for months at a time) to take care of one of them after they had a major injury/illness.

I've had to tear down my desktop PC and transport it to their house and set it back up, then tear it all down again when I move back home.

This last time, I decided to just buy another computer for my house and keep my other PC set up at their house in case I need to stay again some time in the future.

This "new" computer was a refurb computer I bought in February of this year and thought it would work out ok, but it lags when I have too many things open even though it has a decent graphics card and 16 GB of RAM. My other PC did not lag, even if I had 3 graphics programs, 20 webpages, blender, S4S, and the game open at the same time.

I decided to give my "new" PC to my daughter and buy another PC for myself since besides for work, that's also my joy and entertainment so I started looking for one that would grow with me.

After reading the specs for LBY you, I decided to go with one that meets the "recommended" specs that also had 32GB of RAM.

So, I'm good on the PC front.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,216 Member
    edited April 2023
    I still don't know what I need exactly since the early release and the specs only relate to PCs. This Mac I'm on has 16GB of RAM and a Radeon Pro 5700 video card with an 8-core 3.8 Ghz Intel processor. It runs great except when I'm working on one of my SimLit stories and minimize the game to go to desktop to write or edit screenshots for the story. The desktop lags bad then but otherwise it's fine. And it can't handle TS3 at all. The lag in that one is too much to be playable, but I'm enjoying 4 warts and all. I need to make the trip to the nearest Apple Store and spec out a new M1 with as much RAM as I can get. An interesting thing with the new M1 Macs, the video card is built into the processor. The reviews I've seen are great but I'm not sure how I feel about that. The one I spec'd online was over $1K cheaper than this one so with the trade in value on this one it won't be as big of a hit financially.
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143 I was all set to ask why not switch to PC/laptop but then you mentioned a trade-in. Pretty good incentive to stick with Mac.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top