Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How will college acceptance work?

Of course I pre purchased Discover University already.
I was speculating on how the college acceptance will work. In Sims 3 I remember any age group could take an aptitude test and the results would give them a direction towards a major and some scholarship options. In Sims 2 a teen would simply age up and then call to move to University as a YA.
I saw some of the youtubers actually getting acceptance letters from one of the universities from EA. Will it work that way? A teen ages up and gets a letter from one of the schools? Do we apply? Do we just call up and move to the university town and apply like a job? Can any age go to university? I hope so. My Elder would love it.
I am having fun pondering this and thought I would ask you all if you had any other ideas on how it will work.

Comments

• Options
    _Sandra__Sandra_ Posts: 135 Member
    It'd be nice if Sims could get a scholarship if they were top students at school! I like the idea of acceptance letters and waiting for them in the mail and everything :)
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,099 Member
    I also hope there will be student loans for realism
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    I was speculating on how the college acceptance will work. In Sims 3 I remember any age group could take an aptitude test and the results would give them a direction towards a major and some scholarship options. In Sims 2 a teen would simply age up and then call to move to University as a YA.
    I saw some of the youtubers actually getting acceptance letters from one of the universities from EA. Will it work that way? A teen ages up and gets a letter from one of the schools? Do we apply? Do we just call up and move to the university town and apply like a job? Can any age go to university? I hope so. My Elder would love it.
    I am having fun pondering this and thought I would ask you all if you had any other ideas on how it will work.

TS2 wasn't that easy to get into college, you had to maintain a good grade level as a teen, or let it fall to A- to get more grants and many hidden skills that could get your Sim more money in grants such as the hidden dancing skill and or being an orphan (kill off the parents) etc. C or C+ students didn't qualify for any grants and if working, too, it was a bit harder to get grants rather than just go with the standard $500.

In TS3 your Sim has to pass the aptitude test and a chance they won't, if you don't answer correctly.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I want there to be rejection letters for those Sims who didn’t do well in school and only want to go to college to party.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
  • Options
    Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

TS2 wasn't that easy to get into college, you had to maintain a good grade level as a teen, or let it fall to A- to get more grants and many hidden skills that could get your Sim more money in grants such as the hidden dancing skill and or being an orphan (kill off the parents) etc. C or C+ students didn't qualify for any grants and if working, too, it was a bit harder to get grants rather than just go with the standard $500.

In TS3 your Sim has to pass the aptitude test and a chance they won't, if you don't answer correctly.

Thanks. I was going by memory. You can tell it has been awhile ;)
    Thanks everyone. I am hoping for scholarships too. It is exciting seeing this pack arrive
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I would hope grades are a factor. A kid failing school shouldn’t get access to university right off the bat.
    Scholarships would be nice. If it’s a message like the ear pod notification asking if you want to go to university with a simple yes or no that will be lame.

I wouldn’t want it to be easy or handed to sims on a plate.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    I agree that it should be based on how you do in high school or at least play a role in it.

It actually has everything to do with how well you do in school as you have to have certain grade level in everything to even apply to most colleges - also attendance and not missing any classes matter.

https://www.crimsoneducation.org/au/blog/average-gpa-ivy-league

Basically if you did not hold an A in all classes all 4 years of high school - don't expect to get into any of the best Universities. Even in some secondary college they will deny you if you could not maintain a B+ or higher all 4 years of high school. They also are harsh on missing school and absences regardless of the reason.

The best you can hope for is a community college without a B+ or higher and that is with a good attendance record. Then after you complete Community college and get your gpa improved you might be able to get in a University worth getting into. They are not created equal - keep that in mind.

ETA

Keep in mind this real college i am talking about here in the USA - not Sims Uni or other countries.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    I think it should be based on how you do in school. Higher grades can go for 0 tuition (get a scholarship) while the lower your grades do you get less or none in scholarship money.

Or, school could just be free. That’s cool too.

In real life universities take into account more than just your GPA. You can have straight A’s but if you have bad testing scores or no extracurricular activities then you still might not get in.

I don’t that we can expect for this pack to have a well rounded, realistic grip on admissions really.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I agree that it should be based on how you do in high school or at least play a role in it.

It actually has everything to do with how well you do in school as you have to have certain grade level in everything to even apply to most colleges - also attendance and not missing any classes matter.

Basically if you did not hold an A in all classes all 4 years of high school - don't expect to get into any of the best Universities. Even in some secondary college they will deny you if you could not maintain a B+ or higher all 4 years of high school. They also are harsh on missing school and absences regardless of the reason.

The best you can hope for is a community college without a B+ or higher and that is with a good attendance record. Then after you complete Community college and get your gpa improved you might be able to get in a University worth getting into. They are not created equal - keep that in mind.

ETA

Keep in mind this real college i am talking about here in the USA - not Sims Uni or other countries.

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

What, you're not in favor of selling Grandma's concert piano to pay for tuition? :open_mouth: I jest, of course.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

ETA

I was going to say. LOL My young Proper Celebrity, has been known to cut his school day a tad short to either make his concert, or to attend a photoshoot for the magazine cover he was offered. :open_mouth: I've been up in the air as to whether or not to send him on to college. If he must behave himself, he may get rejected. But, at least he has a career already. Sixteen years old and fast approaching §1,000,000 in the vault.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »

My money tree will put my sims through college!
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    If there are no scholarships, it’d be stupid to even include it in the girls bio. It mentions her having a track & cross country scholarship. And at the end mentions she’ll need to spend more time in the pool and on the bike. So would bicycling increase fitness...

Link to her bio:
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/FE4142EEA81311E9870CAACBBB995B3D?category=households&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=Maxis&max=50&maxis=false
  • Options
    veronicastarveronicastar Posts: 1 New Member
    It will be good to make it like in real life where all colleges and universities have their own requirements for applicants. And you have to prepare some important application papers such as personal statement. And it will be good to have the ability to hire the expert services that can proofread your application papers. When I was a student, I remember that I worked with these guys https://www.essayedge.com/. They have helped me and I thank them a lot till today.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Well, this is no longer speculative - the pack is out.

There are student loans, and also a variety of scholarships.

Skills seem to be what qualifies a Sim to pursue a Distinguished Degree. Both institutions offer the full range of majors, but are better for some degree programs than others.

So far, I haven't had a Sim that I had apply denied admission, but then I don't have that many lousy students or unschooled Sims.

I did have Cassandra Goth turned down for the Distinguished Degree in writing I wanted her to pursue. Instead, I am having her get one in Art History while I work her Writing skill up.

Application is a simple computer interaction and costs a nominal fee, but there is no entrance essay, etc - or, all of that is assumed, not shown.